View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I wish I had been as desperate and weak a while back and sold my shares.
    Many are wishing they are on the correct side, yet they are constantly buying at high and selling at low.
    07-24-15 11:52 AM
    Lots of retailers are desperate with the current price action. I think many weak hands, who bought from 11 to 8.5, are giving up now and move on.
    To whom they are selling to? I assume to the people who are accumulating and will sell at high.
    Just throwing out an idea, but if you have a huge loss in BBRY you could liquidate some now and do some early loss harvesting for tax purposes (US purposes and maybe Canada). Selling some at the "lowest" will consume fewer shares than waiting to sell if the stock recovers. Watch out for the wash sale rules though.

Looks like we'll be down here for a while so you can pick up shares again after the wash sale period expires.

Really depends on what you're doing with your portfolio and if you need to shelter gains elsewhere.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag and awindsr like this.
    07-24-15 11:53 AM
    Posted via CB10
    07-24-15 11:55 AM
    I think it's a joke that management is doing nothing yet they claim the stock is severely undervalued and they have a buy back option already approved. If I only had a small position I'd get out too. Too deep in it and in the red to get out now. Chen is only supporting the shorts by doing nothing and they provide FUD against his recovery. That doesn't help him.

I thought the bottom was 8.40 then 7.80 then 7.68 then 7.61....I could put more in and average down but why would I when management has proven they don't care?

Posted via CB10
    Is it possible that they want to buy at lower prices so that they are doing nothing?
    07-24-15 11:58 AM
    It's become apparent that the size of a trolls testicles is inversely proportional to the price of BBRY.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, sidhuk, Corbu and 13 others like this.
    07-24-15 12:09 PM
    CSODD!
    Corbu and sidhuk like this.
    07-24-15 12:11 PM
    OT: Talks about the need for better authentication and data encryption.

Wearables are the next big cyberthreat: Expert
    bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    07-24-15 01:03 PM
    This is why it's down today

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pakist...174106333.html

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, zyben and awindsr like this.
    07-24-15 01:06 PM
    BlackBerryCentral's BBMC and RapidMobile.biz are reporting that BES is getting shutdown in Pakistan due to government security concerns. BIS remains unaffected.

http://rapidmobile.biz/blackberry/ne...december-2015/

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and zyben like this.
    07-24-15 01:09 PM
    This is why it's down today

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pakist...174106333.html

Posted via CB10
    If the Pakistani Intelligence could not crack the communications, etc. then who can?

Maybe, BBRY can turn this recent development and pitch to car manufacturers who are looking at OTA service updates for their systems.
    bungaboy, zyben and rarsen like this.
    07-24-15 01:19 PM
    07-24-15 01:20 PM
    Chen?s AtHoc Acquisition, BlackBerry Turnaround Pull from Jobs? and Watson?s Wisdom

BlackBerry is executing a fascinating turnaround; the strategy isn’t to recover the old BlackBerry as we know it, but to create a very different company -- one tied more to the technology behind secure communications than any one specific hardware device. This is what BlackBerry always was at its core but that image was often obscured by the hardware drama. This change is incredibly timely as breach after breach is reported and Android in particular has been identified as a malware magnet and hackers’ paradise.

BlackBerry has just acquired AtHoc, a very specialized company with a communications platform specifically designed for crisis communications. This is what didn’t work on 9/11, largely because the systems in use at that time were relatively unreliable and didn’t talk to each other. Ironically, what did work were the old BlackBerry two-way pagers, so revisiting this area specifically is both strategically and historically important to the firm.

Let me explain.

Turnaround 101

One of the things that is consistent between Steve Jobs’ Apple and Thomas Watson Jr.’s IBM is that both men believed that you need to preserve the heart of the company and be willing to change anything else. The heart of BlackBerry really wasn’t the device, it was the unerring focus on security, communications reliability, and the fact that people could depend on the platform to work when almost nothing else did.

Where BlackBerry lost its way was when it tried to be a consumer device and chased Apple, but under CEO John Chen, it is fighting its way back to what it always should have been, the company you depend on when individual communications are critical.

I’m not really saying the hardware isn’t important, and certainly phones with keyboards have been proven to be more reliably accurate and safer (you can blind type on a keyboard phone) than screen phones. I’m saying that they are just one element of an effort to make sure critical communications are assured.

AtHoc and Crisis Communications

Crisis communications are incredibly critical and can, and do, include mixed media (voice, text and video) so that crisis managers, planners and first responders can be most effective during a very high-stress period. Any compromise in this communication could dramatically hamper the related effort resulting in, depending on the crisis, higher mortality rates, financial losses and outages, and potentially a far longer subsequent recovery time.

This is what AtHoc specializes in; it cuts across most device types including iOS, Android, PC (Mac and Windows), digital displays, radios, IP phones, sirens, fire panels and distributed speaker alert systems to provide comprehensive communications coverage during a crisis. Current customers include the U.S. Department of Defense, Homeland Security, and a variety of health care providers and industrial facilities that have to be prepared for a variety of potentially deadly events.

The firm is apparently already a significant distance down the path of using the concept of the Internet of Things to further its ability to report on and communicate massively during a crisis.

Wrapping Up: Turnaround Best Practices

When you are assuring the future of a firm, using the best practices from Steve Jobs and Thomas Watson Jr. is well advised. Apple was the most successful turnaround in history and IBM is the longest-surviving technology company. Their leaders both taught that you focus on what is core to the firm and be willing to change everything else in order to evolve and prosper. Chen’s execution with AtHoc is consistent with this strategy in that BlackBerry at its heart is about secure, reliable communications that people could bet their lives on. In many places that BlackBerry goes, people do.

I remember 9/11 and the fact that one of the only things that actually worked was those amazing, though soon outdated, BlackBerry two-way pagers. With AtHoc, Chen is taking a page from Jobs and Watson to return the firm to its historic roots, and this move could very well save our lives someday.
    07-24-15 01:36 PM
    If the Pakistani Intelligence could not crack the communications, etc. then who can?

Maybe, BBRY can turn this recent development and pitch to car manufacturers who are looking at OTA service updates for their systems.
    Soft policy on Iran means hard policy on Pakistan and its Taliban-loving intelligence service. This is proof of the need to shift policy.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DaSchwantz; 07-24-15 at 02:10 PM.
    07-24-15 01:47 PM
    Even if I think you are right, if I recall well, the Curve series (mid-tier) is in BB's history the one that in percentage sold the most..

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. If you look at the Classic, as it compares to the more expensive Passport, and also compared to the new 'slider', it places in comparison price-wise to what the curve was valued at back when.

To summarize what you and I said, the Curve and the Classic are the workhorse for enterprise, and priced that way.

As a side thought, the curveball for me was the Leap. It just doesn't seem to fit, but since I am out of the BlackBerry HQ loop, I can only wonder. In time we will see how well the Leap does; my predictions are not great in comparison to the Classic.
    07-24-15 02:00 PM
    I could very well be missing something here, but I simply don't know- what does the LEAP offer over the Z30?. That's an honest question, because as far as I can tell, the Z30 is retailing for less than the LEAP and offers more from a spec perspective. That's something I don't get.
    07-24-15 02:13 PM
    Concerns that they can't snoop? Concerns that the bad guys can act autonomously?

Classically Posted.
    07-24-15 02:14 PM
    Soft policy on Iran means hard policy on Pakistan and its Taliban-loving intelligence service. This is proof of the need to shift policy.

Posted via CB10
    And I assume they mean BIS (to which I say 'good riddance') or else Pakistan has just announced the death of any foreign corporate investment for a looong time.

"We can't allow BES because it's too hard too steal your corporate information.". LOL. Best. Advertising. Ever.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. If you look at the Classic, as it compares to the more expensive Passport, and also compared to the new 'slider', it places in comparison price-wise to what the curve was valued at back when.

To summarize what you and I said, the Curve and the Classic are the workhorse for enterprise, and priced that way.

As a side thought, the curveball for me was the Leap. It just doesn't seem to fit, but since I am out of the BlackBerry HQ loop, I can only wonder. In time we will see how well the Leap does; my predictions are not great in comparison to the Classic.
    I think Chen had enough customers telling him the younger folks in their Enterprise/Government wanted all an all touch device that they could buy around the same price as the Classic. Chen said they looked at producing lower priced devices but didn't like the product the price point would produce.

The Leap is just an attempt to give Enterprise/Government an all touch device to deploy along side the Classic.
    The Leap was designed for the enterprise market.

I think Windows will replace BlackBerry as the business phone. It's hard to compete against the Continuum feature. Microsoft is building Intel phones that can run full Windows and solve all the computing needs of employees. That's going to give them an edge in EMM too.
    I agree with you in part, and I have been caught stating that Windows would be my second choice. I think you are right about Microsoft being a shoe-in for business. If I can add, they also SHOULD be a no-brainer for bridging an enterprise phone to the Windows empire.
    There is a fundamental reason why this is not the case. Boldly said, in one word:
    Security.
    Windows fall flat on its face here, and anyone who has had the pleasure of countless and relentless Windows Updates, still to find malware, viruses, etc. etc. etc. , can attest for this argument.
    Windows can't catch BlackBerry when it comes to the entire world's new and most dangerous plague, which is low-level hacking at a high profile.
    3MIKE and zyben like this.
    07-24-15 02:17 PM
    I agree with you in part, and I have been caught stating that Windows would be my second choice. I think you are right about Microsoft being a shoe-in for business. If I can add, they also SHOULD be a no-brainer for bridging an enterprise phone to the Windows empire.
    There is a fundamental reason why this is not the case. Boldly said, in one word:
    Security.
    Windows fall flat on its face here, and anyone who has had the pleasure of countless and relentless Windows Updates, still to find malware, viruses, etc. etc. etc. , can attest for this argument.
    Windows can't catch BlackBerry when it comes to the entire world's new and most dangerous plague, which is low-level hacking at a high profile.
    Yes sir...and if (not that big an if really) BlackBerry can secure those devices (for a couple bucks a month each).

Classically Posted.
    07-24-15 02:28 PM
    AFAIK, this is the original source of the story:
    Pakistan decides to block BlackBerry Enterprise services - thenews.com.pk

BES, it is.

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) has decided to block BlackBerry Enterprise Services throughout the country with effect from November 18, sources said on Friday.

The sources told Geo News the authorities decided to ban the services as they were not able to decrypt the communication carried out through BlackBerry Enterprise in Pakistan.

They said that the PTA has sent a letter to all the mobile phone operators in the country to put an end to the services.

The sources, however, added that the ban would not affect common consumers as the BlackBerry Enterprise services are essentially used by corporate organisations.
    Also:
    http://tribune.com.pk/story/925906/d...d-in-pakistan/
    Due to 'security reasons', BlackBerry's enterprise services to be banned in Pakistan
    07-24-15 02:28 PM
    It looks like someone (big shareholders?) is liquidating BBRY position. The trust in the current management is shaken if not lost already.
    ... Don't worry your Sweet self. We need to hit Faucette levels, so that the manipulators can save face. Oh, also so that Chen can scoop cheap shares as we move back up....

Oooooo! Conspiracies! What do I know? My kids and I just munch bacon all day.
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 07-24-15 at 02:44 PM.
    07-24-15 02:31 PM
    AFAIK, this is the original source of the story:
    Pakistan decides to block BlackBerry Enterprise services - thenews.com.pk

BES, it is.

Also:
    http://tribune.com.pk/story/925906/d...d-in-pakistan/
    Due to 'security reasons', BlackBerry's enterprise services to be banned in Pakistan
    It looks like BES is being blocked because bad guys were setting up communications securely....

I purposely left out the 'T' word.

PS - Sorry for the thread spamming fellas.
    I'm feeling frisky today.

Now, where'd the Mrs. get to???
    07-24-15 02:40 PM
    another Todd Coupland report from CIBC

Security, Security And More Security In New York

Todd Coupland, CFA
    Robin Manson-Hing

July 23, 2015

Stock Rating: SE C T O R UN D E R P E R F O R M E R
    Sector Weighting: MA R K E T WE I G H T

Key Ratios and Statistics
    12-18 mo. Price Target: $6.25
    BBRY - NASDAQ (7/23/15) : $7.68

52 -week Range : $7.61-$12.63

Shares Outstanding: 529.2M
    Float : 441.6M
    Shrs Avg. Daily Trading Vol.: 7,978,409
    Market Capitalization: $4,064.5M

Book Value: $6.61 per Shr
    LT Debt: $1,550.0M
    Common Equity: $3.5B

What's The Event

Blackberry hosted its second annual Security Summit in New York. CEO John Chen and his team discussed today's threats to mobile
    security and what it means for enterprises and governments. Blackberry's message that it is now looking to grow was front and
    center, but little incremental data of its progress was presented. Over the past year, the company has focused internally and through
    acquisitions on building the best enterprise / government mobile security offering, spending $100M in security-related R&D. It has
    also made four acquisitions to help deliver security to voice, data, files (often not secure) and enterprise apps.

Implications

Our main takeaway is Blackberry's turnaround still has a ways to go. Being the leader in enterprise and government security is a
    compelling proposition. The question remains how financially material its efforts here will be. Blackberry still needs to execute on
    a go-to-market plan. That is why it is too early for us to determine if its plan (software for service) can be successful.

Our Blackberry thesis is based on the following three points:

1. The services to software gap. For F2016, we forecast BB will lose roughly $767M in high-margin service revenue. This compares to
    only a ~$250M increase in software Enterprise Device Management (EDM) sales and support. The run rate revenue in Q1
    was unknown.

2. Cross-platform demand momentum remains muted. The cross-platform demand for BES 12 is better, but it did not show up in Q1
    or at this Security Summit. BB indicated user conversions are best in the financial (Royal Bank of Scotland) and healthcare (Trillium
    Healthcare) sectors.

3. While Blackberry targets 2H strength in software, we think it could take longer. It still needs to build out its enterprise sales team,
    after which it will take several quarters to ramp up.

What's Changed

We maintain our SU rating and $6.25 PT. On a sum-of-the-parts valuation, we apply a 0.7x multiple to devices and services, 2.5x for
    software sales (equal to Mobile Iron) and cash of $3.23/share.

Price Target Calculation

We rate Blackberry (BBRY�NASDAQ) a Sector Underperformer with a price target of $6.25. We value BBRY based on segmented valuation and book value. Both equate to ~$6.00 per share. Our segmented value approach values BBRY at $6.25. Blackberry�s last reported book value was $6.63 assuming 529.5 million shares outstanding. A revision to our current view would be positive data points supporting Blackberry�s new focus on the enterprise including examples of companies paying for its mobile device management of Blackberry, iOS and Androids, mobile security and more broadly the M2M market. We need to see a viable path to a stabilization of service revenue. Our view is it will take time and clear evidence that this has happened to bring back a broader group of investors, other than very deep value investors, to Blackberry.

Key Risks To Price Target

Subscribers and/or shipments move up with proposed changes to the business strategy. Our expectations are that subscribers continue to decline at roughly 15% a quarter. If this decline slows down or reverses, this could be a risk to our target.

Buyers Arise
    While we do not believe a sale is likely at this point, if a buyer were to show interest we would return to our sum-of the parts analysis. This
    would yield a price higher than our price target and is a risk to our Sector Underperformer thesis.
    CDM76 likes this.
    07-24-15 02:57 PM
    Is it possible that they want to buy at lower prices so that they are doing nothing?
    Sure it is. But that's not the right way to show that your company is recovering....witha falling SP that looks again to be pricing in bankruptcy. New52 week low means things must be pretty bad. I would have tried to prop it up above the 52 week low just to avoid that....7.61

Posted via CB10
    07-24-15 03:06 PM
113,256 ... 34793480348134823483 ...