View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    spiller !!

I just don't care if they purchase a single share, it costs money that could be used to acquire another company and add to revenues. The only good thing about the share buy back is the removal of trading shares for day traders meaning we'll benefit from lower volumes and disinterest in short sales. The bigger picture is why did we drop volume back to 4 MM shares yesterday when our average run rate is 8 - 10 million each day for June and July. We won't know how many shares they are buying nor when they make those purchases so I don't sweat the issue. I would like to see them work towards increasing revenues and hopefully profits and report back to the market ASAP. I'm really interested in today's follow through volumes.

Our major problem is how do you get the price of your stock to go above consensus average 12 month target rates? If the average is now $ 8.00/shr for the next 12 months, we are there and few stocks trade at or above their target rates. This is a problem in the short term and we need to hear from BlackBerry about some growth opportunities to justify paying more than consensus for the stock this month. Chen dug himself something of a real stock price hole with the last Q mix-up, that is more concerning then the share buy back at any price for me.
    The "problem" is.. how do you increase revenues and profits, when you don't have products that people want to buy or that are not ready for the market yet? BlackBerry has potential - that just haven't been successful converting it to a revenue stream yet. Or letting investor know where they are on these products... Thor announced the IoT, Nanthealth has been in the works for a while now. And how are all these new purchases being incorporated into new products? If there is something going on to encourage investors... he needs to help them understand the timeline. But then maybe that is what he meant but 18 months....

I've said before on here... BlackBerry is a company in trouble, so finical analytical tools don't work on them. Heck next week there could be a rumor that McDonalds is going to buy them and it could bounce back to $12+, or there could be no news and the Android rumors could kill revenues and the stock could fall below $6 after the next ER.
    07-17-15 03:00 PM
    We are up 8c this week.
    Readaddiction likes this.
    07-17-15 03:01 PM
    Does anyone recall actually seeing a reference that the hypervisor applied to phones? I only recall seeing references to the hypervisor when BlackBerry discussed QNX Car2.

Are we setting ourselves up for disappointment? I get the hope part.

Posted via CB10
    This was from an inside source. I asked if the slider would have hypervisor. The answer was a nod.
    We will see what the credibility of my source is.

To answer you question, I haven't seen anything publicized.
    07-17-15 03:31 PM
    This was from an inside source. I asked if the slider would have hypervisor. The answer was a nod.
    We will see what the credibility of my source is.

To answer you question, I haven't seen anything publicized.
    Hello Hello,

Can you ask your source if it will have full Google Play services?

Thanks
    07-17-15 03:36 PM
    The "problem" is.. how do you increase revenues and profits, when you don't have products that people want to buy or that are not ready for the market yet? BlackBerry has potential - that just haven't been successful converting it to a revenue stream yet. Or letting investor know where they are on these products... Thor announced the IoT, Nanthealth has been in the works for a while now. And how are all these new purchases being incorporated into new products? If there is something going on to encourage investors... he needs to help them understand the timeline. But then maybe that is what he meant but 18 months....

I've said before on here... BlackBerry is a company in trouble, so finical analytical tools don't work on them. Heck next week there could be a rumor that McDonalds is going to buy them and it could bounce back to $12+, or there could be no news and the Android rumors could kill revenues and the stock could fall below $6 after the next ER.
    I believe JC quoted a timeline of 5 years (from when he started) , with the turnaround point being the ugliest ....
    Last edited by BACK-2-BLACK; 07-17-15 at 03:51 PM.
    07-17-15 03:41 PM
    OT: Just because it's Friday . . .

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-do-not-feed-animals.jpg
    07-17-15 03:47 PM
    OT Alert:
    So, there we were, walking along minding our own business (visiting in Okanogan) when a garage opens up...I caught a glimpse of something special.

Knowing a few of you appreciate exotics...here she is:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150717_145725.jpg
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150717_145716.jpg
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150717_145628.jpg

He leaves Monday for the North West US to meet up with 50 (ish) other Morgan's and hit the Pacific Trail for a rally.

Cheers

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150717_150629.jpg

Classically Posted.
    07-17-15 05:15 PM
    Former Blackberry exec helping guide Samsung enterprise team

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...service=mobile

In early October last year, just two months after he was hired by Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., Gregory Wade found himself in the South Korean tech giant�s Silicon Valley offices in San Jose, Calif., sitting across the bargaining table from some of his long-time former colleagues.

For 12 years, Mr. Wade had worked as a senior executive at BlackBerry Ltd., leading the company�s fast-growing Asia-Pacific business unit � a division that included vast emerging markets such as Indonesia.

But at this meeting � which came as BlackBerry continued its pivot from a flagging hardware business to focus on software and services � Mr. Wade found himself on an unfamiliar side of the table. He was now helping Samsung hash out the final details of an unprecedented partnership with BlackBerry, his former employer, to deploy some of the Canadian company�s renowned security software on the company�s popular Galaxy smartphones.

�I joked, �Hey, you guys are finally going to have an opportunity to sell some really cool tablets,�� Mr. Wade said, referring to BlackBerry�s unpopular PlayBook tablet.

For years, Samsung has built smartphones that have proven enormously popular with consumers around the world � challenging Apple Inc.�s iPhone and propelling the company to the upper echelons of global technology. But as Samsung�s red-hot growth has cooled � it recently lowered second-quarter profit forecasts after poor sales of new Galaxy S6 smartphones � the company has aggressively focused on winning over new business and government clients to boost its bottom line. The Suwon-based firm scoured the globe for talent that could help the company conquer this extremely lucrative �enterprise� market, which was previously dominated by BlackBerry, where customers take a whole suite of software in addition to buying devices � making them much more valuable clients than your average consumer.

Mr. Wade, now the vice-president of Samsung�s enterprise business team, joined as part of the company�s push to succeed in the enterprise space that was once thoroughly dominated by BlackBerry. Over the years, BlackBerry�s software and devices became outdated, and corporate employees increasingly preferred to use Samsung phones, which ran Google Inc.�s Android software, and iPhones in the workplace � kickstarting the IT phenomenon known as BYOD, or bring your own device. But IT departments, which had long trusted BlackBerry�s prowess with security and encryption, viewed Android�s more open, vulnerable software with disdain � and worried that it would lead to security breaches. Samsung knew that was a problem, Mr. Wade said.

�They recognized there were certain hurdles and challenges to overcome with respect to Android from a security perspective,� he said. �And that�s where the company was able to tap into its talent to be able to build out that security platform.�

Unlike BlackBerry, Mr. Wade notes, Samsung�s 300,000-odd employees give it the scale and capacity to make dramatic, world-spanning strategic shifts � and part of his job was making sure that Samsung sales staff from Brazil to Russia were equipped with the information to sell Samsung devices to business people and IT departments.

�You take a look at that experience, and contrast that to 12 years at BlackBerry � you look at timeliness, time frames, the product development cycles,� he says. �You just do recognize the powerhouse that Samsung is.�

And because Samsung�s business spans mobile phones, tablets, TVs, visual panel displays and health technology, there is a whole suite of devices the company can offer to businesses � unlike either BlackBerry or Apple.

And so far, the hirings of people such as Mr. Wade, the introduction of its Knox security platform, and its partnership with BlackBerry seem to be working. Back in 2009, Android phones accounted for just 2 per cent of the phones shipped to commercial clients ordering new devices, according to research firm IDC, compared to BlackBerrys � which accounted for 45.9 per cent of the market. But in 2014, corporate shipments of Android devices reached 49 million phones, versus just 2.5 million BlackBerrys and roughly 23 million iPhones. (Android devices shipped to corporate or government clients are almost exclusively Samsung, since most companies rarely deploy any other type of Android phone.)

The roughly 80 million so-called �enterprise� devices shipped last year comprise a relatively small slice of broader mobile phone sales. But for a company such as Samsung, the additional sales of device management software and security services can help boost profits.

J.P. Gownder, an analyst at Forrester Research, said Samsung has built a �world-class enterprise organization� and has built out a viable security platform that has eased companies� fears about deploying Android to their workers. Samsung, he said, entered the enterprise market through the sheer popularity of its smartphones to regular consumers. �They�re consumer-friendly, therefore they�re worker-friendly,� he says, which led to employees requesting their Android phones be hooked up to work e-mail. But Samsung, he said, despite the fact that it has a suite of technology products to offer to businesses, is far from dominant in the corporate space the way BlackBerry once was � and is still outsold by Apple at many of the large American firms that he consults with as an adviser at Forrester.

�In North America, enterprises are not buying a whole lot of Android equipment at this point,� Mr. Gownder said. �But if you look at emerging markets � you�re seeing pretty vast scale.�

In Tunisia, for example, Samsung accounts for roughly 40 per cent of the devices that wireless carrier Ooredoo Tunisia ships to corporate clients, said chief executive officer Ken Campbell, who was previously the CEO of Wind Mobile in Canada. He said the devices have become a solid contender for many regular employees, but are still not favoured by senior executives.

�When I go and visit a business customer, Samsung is definitely one of the handsets we�re going to be talking about,� he said. �But at the higher level, the executive directors and senior managers, they tend to take iPhones.�

At the same time, he said, iPhones are limited to the elite because Apple�s application store requires a credit card � which many in Tunisia, as well as other emerging markets, do not have. Android, on the other hand, has a very open ecosystem with a lot of free, localized apps, he said. Samsung also makes a much wider range of devices, including popular dual-SIM phones with two SIM cards, and models ranging from ultra-cheap, small devices to premium devices with large screens.

But in a similar fashion to how BlackBerry was once displaced in emerging markets such as Indonesia, Nigeria and Brazil by a variety of handset vendors running sleek Android software, Samsung now finds itself at risk of losing its lead in the developing world by a number of Android-using Chinese manufacturers � either new brands coming in at the low end, or more established Chinese brands such as Huawei and Lenovo.

�We just launched Lenovo here, and that will take market share away from Samsung, for sure,� Mr. Campbell added.

But however Samsung�s position in the enterprise market shifts, it is unlikely to fall as low as BlackBerry has in certain markets. �We keep some in stock for customers who want them,� Mr. Campbell says of BlackBerrys. �They�re kind of a collector�s item. It�s too bad.�

Mr. Wade, who led BlackBerry�s push in many emerging markets and is now helping Samsung cement a new lead with corporate customers around the world, said executives at BlackBerry�s headquarters in Waterloo, Ont., never fully exploited the company�s popularity in emerging markets � including cashing in on the company�s hugely popular BlackBerry Messenger platform, which allowed users to send messages cheaply over data networks long before WhatsApp, Apple�s iMessage and other services.

�The business itself was growing in vast developing economies, not just in Asia-Pacific but everywhere � in [Latin America], South Africa and other developing markets,� Mr. Wade said. �Sure, they were lower-end, mid-range devices. But from what I observed, it was really difficult for the company to separate itself from its Western, developed markets and its [wireless] carrier roots. That�s the challenge. It just didn�t generally understand the markets in developing economies enough to say �This is where we�re willing to double down and invest further.��
    Posted via CB10
    07-17-15 06:07 PM
    I hope my luck changes, coz I invested in LOTTO MAX for tonight, it's 55 millions + 30 smaller prizes of one million each
    If you hit the jackpot, don't forget about us simple folk that have your back over on 'the thread'.

That said, it's that time again:

Nice. We are way down in short interest. Wonder if next week will pop?

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150717_170420_edit.png

... and FWIW, our other Canadian jewel in the rough. Funny how these two are similar in tracking lately:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150717_170454_edit.png
    bungaboy, Corbu, rarsen and 9 others like this.
    07-17-15 07:08 PM
    The "problem" is how do you increase revenues and profits, when you don't have products that people want to buy or that are not ready for the market yet? BlackBerry has potential ....
    I smell what you are cookin there, but a better question is WHY don't people want BlackBerry hand sets. When you can seriously answer that, you'll be able to make that statement.
    As for potential, they have products that are currently innovating at a faster clip than anyone else at the moment, however, this rolls right back to the first question.

I would be very happy to see BlackBerry put out a marketing campaign that simply states something along the lines of "For serious business" and "This isn't your father's BlackBerry ".

I know that I am not the only one here that has had multiple people approach me with "Wow! What phone is that!?"
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 07-17-15 at 07:55 PM.
    07-17-15 07:22 PM
    ... and FWIW, our other Canadian jewel in the rough. Funny how these two are similar in tracking lately:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150717_170454_edit.png 
Views:	1563 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	362999
    Seems the market isn't big on IoT yet. The media likes it, just not the market. Must be another situation like BlackBerry: show me the money!
    Bacon Munchers and zyben like this.
    07-17-15 07:28 PM
    ... I asked if the slider would have hypervisor. The answer was a nod...
    Something brewing.
    zyben likes this.
    07-17-15 07:37 PM
    A well informed friend of mine who follows the stock quite religiously sent me the following two charts this afternoon, He thought it would be nice to share them with every other member of this thread... With the usual caveats, naturally.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150717_132608.jpg

This is a weekly chart from about end of Feb 2014 to May 2014. The SP went down for 7 weeks. Week 8 was a small positive close, then solid positive move in week 9!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150717_131731.jpg

Last 7 weeks plus current positive week close. Same pattern: “7 down weeks, small positive close for week 8”.

So, let's hope for a large move next week! Perhaps on some positive Security Summit news…

We sure need some hard news and some rigorous execution

Have a nice weekend!
    07-17-15 08:10 PM
    OT:

Keeping with the theme brought up by Mr. Shanerredflag...

I thought the "Building Your Dream is a Beautiful Thing" title of this video was something we could relate to, in this thread.

Building Your Dream Is A Beautiful Thing | Petrolicious
    07-17-15 08:40 PM
    07-17-15 08:55 PM
    OT:

Keeping with the theme brought up by Mr. Shanerredflag...

I thought the "Building Your Dream is a Beautiful Thing" title of this video was something we could relate to, in this thread.

[video]https://youtu.be/ttl-kF8Rbuo[/url]

Building Your Dream Is A Beautiful Thing | Petrolicious
    Thx Mr Corbu....excellent video

Classically Posted.
    07-17-15 11:18 PM
    I don't know what math John Chen is doing these days. When he sold the last software company for $6.5 billion, it had annual revenue of $1.1 billion with decent pile of cash and no debt. That is a ratio of 6. If Blackberry is focusing on software and services, what is the most optimistic estimate in two years based on the current $250 million annual revenue. Let's say it is $600 million. Since the money-losing hardware business won't fetch any meaningful value. The potential takeover value for Blackberry is at most 4 to 4.5 billion down the road.

John has a fiduciary duty to all shareholders not just Prem Watsa who obviously is not willing to let go his damaged ego. If capitalism still means anything more than boardroom fraternity, he needs to look for a buyer ASAP before it turns into the equivalent of a Bombardier disaster.
    anon(4086547) and sati01 like this.
    07-18-15 12:53 AM
    A well informed friend of mine who follows the stock quite religiously sent me the following two charts this afternoon, He thought it would be nice to share them with every other member of this thread... With the usual caveats, naturally.

Name:	IMG_20150717_132608.jpg 
Views:	1802 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	363001

This is a weekly chart from about end of Feb 2014 to May 2014. The SP went down for 7 weeks. Week 8 was a small positive close, then solid positive move in week 9!

Name:	IMG_20150717_131731.jpg 
Views:	1805 
Size:	230.6 KB 
ID:	363002
    Wait a minute... Are these M8 or Lagoon approved??

They look like screen shots of a video game from 1980.
    07-18-15 01:23 AM
    Wait a minute... Are these M8 or Lagoon approved??

They look like screen shots of a video game from 1980.
    Ha, ha. Good laugh. Thanks.
    07-18-15 06:38 AM
    OT: Saturday morning breakfast . . .

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-sliced-minion.jpg
    07-18-15 06:49 AM
    Zyben

Thanks for the weekend perk me up, but I had a really, really bad week....

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 07:14 AM
    I believe JC quoted a timeline of 5 years (from when he started) , with the turnaround point being the ugliest ....
    In the interviews that I remember, he's said three years not five. He said three years in the most recent CBC interview linked here a few pages back.

About the "turnaround point being the ugliest," Chen said nothing of that sort. He has always indicated a steady progression in his plan, in which the turnaround point was when he, John Chen, became CEO.

In the CBC interview he says they are about halfway into the plan, described in the earnings call as stabilizing revenue. Of course "stabilizing revenue" is a euphemism for stopping years long trend of declining revenues. Once they do this then he can talk about growing revenue.
    anon(4086547) and sati01 like this.
    07-18-15 07:39 AM
    OT: Saturday morning breakfast . . .

Name:	Sliced Minion.jpg 
Views:	1367 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	363052
    That's pretty 'OTscary' if you ask me..

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 07:41 AM
    In the interviews that I remember, he's said three years not five. He said three years in the most recent CBC interview linked here a few pages back.

About the "turnaround point being the ugliest," Chen said nothing of that sort. He has always indicated a steady progression in his plan, in which the turnaround point was when he, John Chen, became CEO.

In the CBC interview he says they are about halfway into the plan, described in the earnings call as stabilizing revenue. Of course "stabilizing revenue" is a euphemism for stopping years long trend of declining revenues. Once they do this then he can talk about growing revenue.

Oooook.... if you say so !!!
    bungaboy and zyben like this.
    07-18-15 08:17 AM
    Oooook.... if you say so !!!
    It's really not about what I say or what you say. These are merely statements of fact that can be verified or refuted by anyone. To support my statements, refer to the most recent CBC interview with Chen and also the presentation made at the most recent earnings call.
    07-18-15 08:21 AM
113,256 ... 34663467346834693470 ...