View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Slightly OT:

Though we all know this, we need to remind ourselves of this reality as BBRY strives to reinvigorate the HW side of the business:

Nearly all operating profit in smartphone business goes to Apple - San Jose Mercury News

During the first three months of the year, Samsung sold a lot more smartphones than No. 2 Apple -- 30% more -- but reaped just $1 in phone-related operating profit for every $6 Apple did.

Record-breaking sales of the iPhone at an average of more than $600 a pop have given Apple nearly all of the smartphone industry's profits. Specifically from January to March, Apple accounted for $15.3 billion of the $16.7-billion operating profit at leading smartphone makers, financial analysts at Canaccord Genuity said in a research report earlier this year.

But it could become increasingly difficult to innovate when Apple holds record cash stockpiles to invest in research and development. Consumer dependence on Apple won't help either.

U.S. adults who own an iPhone are more likely than Android smartphone users -- 52 percent vs. 43 percent -- to feel that they can't imagine life without a smartphone, a Gallup poll released Monday said.
    07-14-15 09:33 AM
    HALO:

New 52 week high.

Many thanks, Morgan!
    07-14-15 09:47 AM
    Yes, many thanks !! XD
    bungaboy, Mr BBRY and zyben like this.
    07-14-15 09:49 AM
    PSDV is also moving nicely. Thanks Morgan!!!
    HALO:

New 52 week high.

Many thanks, Morgan!
    Corbu, bungaboy, q649 and 3 others like this.
    07-14-15 09:52 AM
    Apple is the new Microsoft.
    07-14-15 09:52 AM
    Slightly OT:

Though we all know this, we need to remind ourselves of this reality as BBRY strives to reinvigorate the HW side of the business:

Nearly all operating profit in smartphone business goes to Apple - San Jose Mercury News

For me, it's not possible to measure BlackBerry's 'chances' in the HW space. For better or worse, they haven't made any kind of proper effort with BlackBerry 10, and unless they were to release a device or two with at least the bare minimum of advertising - real advertising, not sending me banner ads for a Passport because I already have one and already follow BlackBerry - it's not possible to say that it's all lost. The blessing and the curse is that well above 90% of the population don't follow mobile phone articles or think much about mobile phones. I think it's hard for investors or forum addicts to fully see this. Apple are making all the money because they have connected powerfully with a broad audience and keep delivering products they like and messages that make them feel good. BlackBerry can see a huge surge in HW sales with a great device that works and that people know about. This isn't a negative post. It's a positive one. BlackBerry CAN succeed in consumer HW, but only if they do things properly.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    07-14-15 09:57 AM
    Slightly OT:
    While reading 'Losing the Signal - The Spectacular Rise and Fall of BlackBerry' I came across this:

"You learn a lot of sobering things" trying to sell software, Balsillie told a trade publication in 1995. Lazaridis and Balsillie believed RIM would have to start making its own hardware if it was ever to be more than a marginal player.
    The quote is from early days of RIM but it seems to hold true, to a degree, 20 years on.
    07-14-15 10:15 AM
    HALO:

New 52 week high.

Many thanks, Morgan!
    Re: HALO

Corbu!!

I'm impressed that you are still in this trade! Congrats! You not only guide us through the everyday life of BlackBerry, you are also a guiding light on how to extend your profits when you see a good investment, I can't teach you that. HALO is mirroring ACAD ( $ 48.00/shr today and a 52 week high, all time high) and I think they are about one year apart regarding timing here.

Slipstream89 !! I remember you asking what a good entry point would be for HALO and I came up with $ 21.30/shr on its way to new highs, did you get in?

Re: PSDV - this one is just getting its feet under it, the news is amazing but few know anything about it right now. Can you imagine HALO back when there was a 30 MM share float, really positive news, cash in the bank, leader in their space, NO!!!! You can't because none of my choices had that kind of depth in their portfolio. So hang in there, be patient, this one works in the second half of this year when their data is clearer and large firms take notice. That news yesterday was just amazing, you are legally blind, months later, you are driving a car!!! WOW!

BlackBerry, BBRY has broken out again! It is looking to close above its 3-ema and begin another leg up from here. If I get a chance, I'll post charts on several stocks just to see where we are with them. Best of luck to all of you and keep the faith on this one.
    07-14-15 10:27 AM
    M8!

My friend you were dead on with your entry point! But unfortunately I didn't start a position, I had an open order for it but I bought BAC instead because the chart looked riped for a breakout. Now im just waiting for the cycle to finish, exit and wait for next opportunity to get back into HALO, im going to start buying it up in my TFSA I already have SPHS in there thanks to you as well

I had a short position in HALO before but I've closed out at a loss I think it may have been spiller who called it going further north instead, good call my friend!

Oops forgot to ask M8 are you using a certain MA to determine a entry point? What else do we look for?

Thanks and appreciated as always!
    EDIT: attached a chart of the lower band, looks like new entry would be around $22.10, I think!
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-halo.png
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by slipstream89; 07-14-15 at 10:49 AM.
    07-14-15 10:37 AM
    Morgan,

Your help, your knowledge and your willingness to share with others have been invaluable to me and many others in this thread. That can not be said enough.

You are so right! I had forgotten about ACAD which is having a tremendous day...

As for PSDV and HALO, a trivial question for you whenever you have a minute: is it too late to get in or add-on?

Thanks!
    07-14-15 10:39 AM
    Morgan,

Your help, your knowledge and your willingness to share with others have been invaluable to me and many others in this thread. That can not be said enough.

You are so right! I had forgotten about ACAD which is having a tremendous day...

As for PSDV and HALO, a trivial question for you whenever you have a minute: is it too late to get in or add-on?

Thanks!
    Corbu, thanks for the kind words, I appreciate them. I have mentioned that I think HALO at $ 24.00 is priced just right, I would wait to hear from them again in their next Q report before adding to my position. It isn't a sell at $ 24.00 plus but it is pricing in cash-flow positive versus their expenditures for drug development. The good news is that they are likely to reach cash-flow positive this year and when that occurs, they'll trade up like ACAD has in the past based upon fast trading data opportunities.

As for PSDV - it is at the very beginning of an exciting year, no one knows about them, they control a niche market and are 100% perfect in execution. They will see some institutional buying one day very soon and that support will tie up all of the stock pretty much like it is doing for HALO today. If you watch Level II trading in PSDV today, you will see a bid under the market that is drawing in retail stock sellers who think the stock is weak based on the news and are tempted to sell out now. We have to close above $ 4.60 and then its the 52-week high for this one, after that, it will trend higher for the balance of the year. I'm watching this one all day today to see if there is any weak moments in the bid that suggest that this rally is slowing, but so far, all I see is one person buying up the stock in a very slow, controlled manner. Again, the news is amazing, I know they are involved in a specialty market but they own that space now. I'm sure you can appreciate how difficult it is to find these companies at this stage in their development and then generate enough belief in their management to take on a large position that many times involves holding that position for years. This company made that easier for me by opening up their communication a year ago and they stop at nothing, legally speaking, to inform you of their next steps. This made it easier for me to continue buying the stock when no one wanted it.

PS> Slipstream89!! Thanks for being so up front about your investments, hard to do but this thread is here as a learning vehicle for others so thanks again for that. I have a set of rules that I must have satisfied before I will buy the stock, in addition, because others use it, I make use of TA too. HALO broke out of a sideways base building transition and we have to respect that as institutional money stepped in and they now control the price of the stock. I'm always cautious of news ahead and this is why I wouldn't buy the stock here, with everyone on the planet holding a profit in HALO, that exit will be tight. I love the company, it is extremely well managed and followed now, any dips are a buy until we hear from them again.
    bungaboy, jxnb, 3MIKE and 13 others like this.
    07-14-15 11:13 AM
    Here is my favorite quote from the article.

"As with all of our products, CarPlay is built from the ground up to protect your privacy using the same industry-leading safeguards already at work on iPhone," Apple said in a statement to Reuters. "All of the data is anonymized, not connected with other Apple services, and is not stored by Apple, so no one can build a profile about the driver or their travels."

Glad to see the motor companies standing up to the tech firms.

Posted from my PassPort
    ... but they failed to mention that it was all possible due to the industry leading,, remarkable QNX.
    bungaboy, georg4BB, 3MIKE and 1 others like this.
    07-14-15 11:18 AM
    I think BBRY is good to move towards $8.40 by the 22nd and up over $9 on the 23rd. Let's hope for some big announcements on the 23rd and get some optimism back in this name!
    07-14-15 11:20 AM
    I think BBRY is good to move towards $8.40 by the 22nd and up over $9 on the 23rd. Let's hope for some big announcements on the 23rd and get some optimism back in this name!
    I believe you are right, BBRY broke out today, it is having no problem holding its own and working itself past the support at the 3-ema now. The trend is now up, but what is even more exciting is the volume, this volume is at a level where a share buyback works the best. We needed to drop down into the 6 MM share per day level and that 587 M buyback cleans out the traders and forces them to cover. Obviously we need to build some TA strength here, an uptrend channel and to clear that $ 8.00 mark, but the ground-work is in place to rally in the way you stated.
    Corbu, La Emperor, 3MIKE and 13 others like this.
    07-14-15 11:40 AM
    And a happy 14 juillet to all our French friends!!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-champagne_thinkstock-136557988_credit-istockphoto-forward-slash-thinkstock.jpg
    07-14-15 11:55 AM
    OT - You are officially granted the title of 'Everything's Always Awesome Man'.

No fair!

Bunga already holds the title "It's all good in d'hood, eh?"
    Ok, I added the 'eh'. But he can't hold 2 titles...

Can he!?
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 07-14-15 at 12:35 PM.
    07-14-15 12:00 PM
    OT: Analysts believe more M&A coming from Cisco. That recent hire by BBRY makes it really interesting.

Cisco: Overcrowded Security Market Needs Consolidation CSCO CHKP - Investors.com

Cisco Systems (NASDAQ:CSCO) is telling Wall Street that corporate buyers of computer security products want to narrow down the number of their suppliers, prompting analysts to speculate about which company Cisco might buy next to gain market share.

"Cisco's analysis suggests that the average large enterprise has 54-plus security vendors, with chief information officers finding it an extremely tough and convoluted landscape to manage," said UBS analyst Amitabh Passi in a research report. "We don't believe Cisco has any delusions of replacing 50-plus vendors with just itself, but the goal is to simplify the landscape."

Increasing Cisco's market share in the $25 billion enterprise security infrastructure market from 9% to 20%-30% is a goal of incoming CEO Chuck Robbins, says Passi.

View Enlarged Image

Many big tech and defense companies are jumping deeper into the security market vs. pure-play leaders such as Check Point Software Technologies (NASDAQ:CHKP), Symantec (NASDAQ:SYMC), Palo Alto Networks (NYSE:PANW) and Fortinet (NASDAQ:FTNT).

Tim Long, an analyst at BMO Capital Markets, met recently with Cisco's top security business executives.

"Cisco believes that one of the key changes that will occur in the industry over the next few years is that customers will increasingly move from point vendors that provide niche solutions to companies that can provide an architectural approach," Long wrote in a report Monday. "Cisco expects that the changes will be necessitated as some customers currently work with as many 100 different security vendors in a single organization.

"This should also drive increased industry consolidation."

Passi doubts that Cisco would buy a big security vendor such as Palo Alto or Check Point, despite its $2.7 billion acquisition of Sourcefire in 2013. He foresees more small deals, such as Cisco's $635 million deal for OpenDNS, announced June 30.

"We foresee both organic investments and M&A playing a role in accelerating sales and growing market share," Passi said. "The fastest-growing subsegments in security where Cisco has limited-to-no presence, and are therefore areas of interest, include identity access and management; security information and event management; data loss prevention; and application security testing."

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: Cisco: Overcrowded Security Market Needs Consolidation CSCO CHKP - Investors.com
    Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook
    07-14-15 12:32 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	champagne_thinkstock-136557988_credit-istockphoto-forward-slash-thinkstock.jpg 
Views:	2376 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	362457
    Let them eat cake . . . with their Champagne!
    07-14-15 12:47 PM
    OT:

On the "Don't believe everything you read" theme...
    Twitter Spikes and Falls on Fake Story About a Bid - MoneyBeat - WSJ

Twitter 's stock took quite a ride Tuesday, jumping more than 8% on a fake story about a potential bid for the company on a website that was made to look like Bloomberg’s site.

It ran on a site that was a close facsimile of the media company’s site, mimicking Bloomberg’s style and layout and even using a Bloomberg reporter’s name in the byline.

Twitter’s stock had been up in earlier trading, but then spiked at 11:36 a.m. New York time, when the story went live. The story said that “Twitter is working closely with bankers after receiving an offer to be bought out for $31 billion, people with knowledge of the situation said.”

The Bloomberg story is just the latest example of a market hoax designed to drive up the price of a stock on news of a fake bid.
    07-14-15 01:05 PM
    OT:

The amount of news about new features and upcoming announcements on the homepage has really dropped off lately

Posted via CB10
    07-14-15 02:59 PM
    OT:

The amount of news about new features and upcoming announcements on the homepage has really dropped off lately

Posted via CB10
    As it ought to, BlackBerry have been silent as mice, they haven't said anything of relevance. I for one am tired of seeing promotions for cases and accessories as headlines. You can even tell from the forum itself, subscribership has reduced dramatically. But who can one blame, but BlackBerry, no news, no information, may as well write their own obituary. Imo, any goodwill left, will be destroyed by JC

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    07-14-15 05:02 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	champagne_thinkstock-136557988_credit-istockphoto-forward-slash-thinkstock.jpg 
Views:	2376 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	362457
    Thanks Corbu, this has been my day...

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150710_100820.jpg
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150710_103319.jpg
    Attachment 362503
    Attachment 362504

Attachment 362505
    Attachment 362506
    07-14-15 05:07 PM
    OT:

Posted via CB10
    The number of stories have been decreasing since the Mobile Nations' newsgroup reorganization.

Tim Smith from my Z10 on Rogers
    07-14-15 06:10 PM
    As it ought to, BlackBerry have been silent as mice, they haven't said anything of relevance. I for one am tired of seeing promotions for cases and accessories as headlines. You can even tell from the forum itself, subscribership has reduced dramatically. But who can one blame, but BlackBerry, no news, no information, may as well write their own obituary. Imo, any goodwill left, will be destroyed by JC

Posted via CB10
    Then I will take this opportunity to wish you farewell!
    zyben, 3MIKE, kadakn01 and 13 others like this.
    07-14-15 09:14 PM
    Then I will take this opportunity to wish you farewell!
    Lol

#BBFactCheck
    07-14-15 09:49 PM
113,256 ... 34633464346534663467 ...