View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    It's time again for bbqs, beers, and BlackBerry toting babes:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-10919729_1446624812306815_612166264_n.jpg

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-11357760_762596763852819_1554125560_n.jpg

BBRY will rise again Enjoy the weekend
    Corbu, rarsen, bungaboy and 11 others like this.
    07-10-15 07:20 PM
    OT:
    Microsoft and Nokia - a marriage made in hell? - BBC News

A blogger who writes about Windows argues passionately in support of that view. He argues that having formed the initial partnership with Nokia, making it the flagship Windows Phone builder, Microsoft had little alternative but to go ahead with a full takeover.

"Nokia was already in dire straits, and their board was getting itchy for alternatives," writes Daniel Rubino."Had Nokia decided to jump all-in on Android devices - or worse - sold to a competitor, neither would have been good for Microsoft and their Windows Phone story."

That may be true, but it begs the question of whether Nokia was ever the right partner. For a company that is now going to focus on business customers - always its core strength - it might have been more sensible to tie up with Blackberry. The ailing Canadian firm still has a strong reputation for security, and many professional and enterprise customers remain wistfully nostalgic about its devices. Windows Blackberry could have been a very lucrative niche.
    "Blackberry"... Typical Rory Cellan-Jones...
    07-10-15 07:35 PM
    I was listening to the JC CBC interview again... Excellent interview overall, as we all agree.
    John Chen sits down with CBC's The Exchange to discuss BlackBerry turnaround efforts | CrackBerry.com

I thought I would transcribe this part, dealing with the handset business.

[…]

I have to find a way to make money in the handset business because you can’t last that long if you just keep losing money and this is what happened when I first came, we were losing a lot of money. We are still losing money although our gross margins are positive but if you add in all the research and development costs to it we’re still losing money -- so I’m working hard addressing that point.

So, the emotional reason is, you know, BlackBerry is iconic to the industry. We started this industry arguably, all right? This an iconic Canadian brand. I’m not the kind of guy that give up so easily. So I don’t think… although the chips seem to go down… but I’m not really sure that we’re done. So if we could make money on the business and don’t bleed money in that business, we could come up with some very innovative stuff.

[...]
    I don't want to play psychologist but I love the part from roughly 33:36 to 33:46 (underlined). I thought his facial expression and body language were interesting...

Cheers!
    07-10-15 09:24 PM
    Corbu - You are such a highly valued contributor/colleague/philanthropist. Thank you for your generous ongoing reporting and, even more, your interpretations.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-15 10:11 PM
    Corbu - You are such a highly valued contributor/colleague/philanthropist. Thank you for your generous ongoing reporting and, even more, your interpretations.
    I am flattered, jxnb! Many thanks for your kind words. We all play a part, here: that's what makes this thread unique. All the best!
    07-10-15 10:21 PM
    I was listening to the JC CBC interview again... Excellent interview overall, as we all agree.
    John Chen sits down with CBC's The Exchange to discuss BlackBerry turnaround efforts | CrackBerry.com

I thought I would transcribe this part, dealing with the handset business.

I don't want to play psychologist but I love the part from roughly 33:36 to 33:46 (underlined). I thought his facial expression and body language were interesting...

Cheers!
    Not losing money is an admirable goal, but at some point Chen needs to use his judgement and decide that a device is worth the advertising push that it needs in order not to flop. I think the Passport was worth that, even if we ignore the Z10 and Q10 and Z30 and Classic. NO company in the industry, and few in the world, can succeed without advertising, and due to the damaged brand image, BlackBerry certainly cannot. Assess the device. Make a bold call. Otherwise, they may as well not even bother.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    07-11-15 02:23 AM
    OT perhaps, but as we were reading about devices...

As I was saying, Chen needs to either give up handsets, or do them properly and with a vision that goes beyond the next ER.

Apple will continue to make their kind of phone.

Samsung will continue to make high spec phones that are nice, but aren't that striking.

BlackBerry can absolutely do well by owning the PKB space that many people will come back to if the devices are good enough, and the idea is sold to them well enough. BlackBerry can also sell touch devices well if the design is there along with the specs. Design is the key. They got it right with the Passport, and if they focus on beautiful devices, they can be successful.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 02:31 AM
    Nicolas. However we mix it : currently PKB is insignificant for John Doe.
    In the enterprise sphere, it's a barely 20% market, high end.
    So...

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 04:25 AM
    Nicolas. However we mix it : currently PKB is insignificant for John Doe.
    In the enterprise sphere, it's a barely 20% market, high end.
    So...

Posted via CB10
    Hardly surprising. BlackBerry have made sure John Doe never even heard of the darn things. Sellers anticipate; BlackBerry wait and see. Sellers tell a good story, and invite people into it; BlackBerry go around asking customers what they want, and then get stood up - again and again.

If they are going to keep doing that, they shouldn't bother at all. I, like many others, are hoping the penny drops and they stop that foolishness, but we will see. As I said, I think Chen needs to have the talent, or hire the talent, that can look at a device, and at the market, and know whether to stick or twist. At the moment, that talent simply doesn't seem to be there.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 04:45 AM
    How QNX is positioned to lead IoT (we've all heard it here, but well written and worth the read): http://utbblogs.com/things-blackberr...hings-to-come/

Classically Posted.
    bungaboy, Corbu, 3MIKE and 4 others like this.
    07-11-15 05:55 AM
    RE: Clickbaiters . . . Ironic is right!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-audio_rx-cb.jpg
    07-11-15 06:26 AM
    Morgan, do you still expect BlackBerry's stock price to bounce up from here? Any idea what range/price to look for by or before the end of this year?

I personally am very dissapointed. I'm sure most has to do with the share price. But yesterday's interview has now left the door open for failure. JC claimed to not be in talks with suitors because he wants the price to reflect their assets (what about showing results first?). And if this story does end up being a 'less than mild' success, he'll be dissapointed. Ok, as if that's news......... I wonder where his 99 percent 'chance' of success went to?

Aside from that, today's Android rumours make me think of a time when they were forced to write down their BB7 inventory as 'everybody was waiting for BB10 to arrive'.

We 'know' BB10 isn't going anywhere (can't help but think of BB10 coming to Playbook... anyway), but what about clarifying the situation if you intend to cater to your existing audience? Is an Android device coming, and how is this going to help existing customers / new customers / investors?

Nobody is going to hold out buying BB10 devices because we already represent a niche within a niche. Look at HTC, Microsoft. Their hardware strategy has failed (too). So I can only have respect for BlackBerry being close to break-even with such small volume.

However, can we at least expect a concrete roadmap for software products? When can we expect the BlackBerry experience on Android/iOS? It was announced back in January!

Now JC is touting the 60 million connected cars in every interview. What about showing us what this means? What are they earning for QNX car, OTA updates..? The same holds for their cargo tracking platform.

I've come to the end of my rant. But if I were JC, I'd be looking to partner up with somebody credible (Samsung) soon, or they might have bought all this time to see delays end up costing them another part of their business (=QNX).

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 06:46 AM
    OT: Security related.

Walmart Canada looks into possible credit card data breach

Walmart Canada looks into possible credit card data breach - The Globe and Mail

Walmart Canada is investigating a potential breach of customer credit card data after one of its websites operated by a third party was compromised.

�We were recently informed of a potential compromise of customer credit card data involving Walmart Canada�s Photocentre website, www.walmartcanadaphotocentre.ca, which is operated by a third-party,� said Alex Roberton, director of corporate affairs and social media at Walmart Canada. �We recommend Walmart Canada�s Online Photocentre customers monitor their card transactions closely and immediately alert their financial institution about any unauthorized charges.�

Mr. Roberton said the company has disabled the website and its mobile applications and notified the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.

Walmart said it has �no reason to believe� its Walmart.ca and Walmart.com destinations or its in-store transactions have been affected.

A source close to the situation told The Globe and Mail that as many as 60,000 customers could be affected.

According to Walmart�s website, PNI Digital Media operates its online photo centre. PNI says on its website that �leading retailers use our proven platform to offer photo prints and photo gifts,� among other services. The company also says its platform handled more than 19 million transactions in 2012 and 18 million last year. It was bought by Staples Inc. in 2014.

PNI Digital and Staples did not respond to requests for comment. Walmart said it was continuing to look into the situation and could not share anything beyond the statement provided.

The company said it is working with its vendor and financial partners.

The Globe sought comment from The Royal Bank of Canada, Toronto-Dominion Bank and CBIC, which are major credit card providers. TD said in a statement it is aware of the investigation.

The breach comes at a time when retailers are jockeying for position in a hyper-competitive market. The squeeze already claimed Target Canada and several other big names, including Future Shop and Zellers. It also comes just days after Walmart began online grocery pickup service for some Ottawa-area stores on July 7.

In December, 2013, in the United States, 40 million credit and debit card accounts with Target Corp. were compromised in one of the largest card breaches at a U.S. retailer.
    Corbu, Mr BBRY, awindsr and 5 others like this.
    07-11-15 07:11 AM
    It's time again for bbqs, beers, and BlackBerry toting babes:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10919729_1446624812306815_612166264_n.jpg 
Views:	2097 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	361914

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11357760_762596763852819_1554125560_n.jpg 
Views:	2093 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	361915

BBRY will rise again Enjoy the weekend
    Amongst other things!!

(oh c'mon, I just said what you all were thinking!)

(what happened to the other pic?)
    07-11-15 10:14 AM
    Amongst other things!!

Open in browser to see the other pictures !

Nice !
    07-11-15 11:09 AM
    Short interest

6/30/2015101,692,389
    6/15/2015 90,906,659
    Thanks for reminding me W HOA. Teamwork:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150711_105827_edit.png
    bungaboy, W Hoa, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    07-11-15 01:00 PM
    Morgan, do you still expect BlackBerry's stock price to bounce up from here? Any idea what range/price to look for by or before the end of this year?

I personally am very dissapointed...

Posted via CB10
    I think you speak for many here. We are all not just BlackBerry enthusiasts, but serious investors.
    I have mentioned that I have a suspicion that more is going on behind the stock-scene then just 'it's a Greece thing'. At the risk of looking foolish, here is what I see happening:

1. Chen continues to play possum and allow the SP to sink to Faucette levels. No its not 100% his fault, but like I said before, he wants cheap stock.
    2. BlackBerry scoops shares at below belief prices.
    3. BlackBerry starts showing some of their cards to start the SP movement again.
    4. Market realizes that this is a now a software and services company, that just happens to make hardware to complete the end-to'end solution, and stops harping on hardware.

Of course, the economy and war rumors, etc. will affect the whole market; nothing we can do about that.

No Debbie-downer, just being real.
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 07-11-15 at 10:30 PM.
    bungaboy, 3MIKE, rarsen and 6 others like this.
    07-11-15 01:25 PM
    This my thinking based on we have have so far...

The Android version will more than likely be a fact because that seems to be the next evolutionary step for the BlackBerry handset division.

BBW and BB10 can no longer carry the handset market ....or the vision of delivering the security package to all...

The Classic came on board to satisfy the last few still holding onto the Bold in those key regulated and big businesses... and to carry them to the next cycle upgrade...but that is it, as the "new skool" will be more than comfortable with all touch since most are on iOS and Android right now. So why continue trying to use a platform that is fading? Pissing in the wind...

JC is set on making handsets profitable, not for emotional reasons, not because of that iconic brand bull$hit, but because it is part of their complete security package.....and because BB10 and BBW can no longer provide that avenue, he will now exercise the next step to fulfill that part by looking at the most popular and cheapest avenue to get into (which means offer an Android based version of BB10) where he can continue to offer true end-to-end security package.

Windows OS is a dead end street.
    iOS is too expensive.
    What other avenue is there?

Remember in the interview (and was even mentioned before), he mentioned how they are spending A LOT more on software....not hardware. People don't get it. With software, it can be developed and made flexible enough to attach to any hardware component...

So he is setting up everyone to the point where he will say, "now we can fully secure an Android with our patents that no one else can"...

(just like how Corbu serves it up, and M+8 spikes it down for the winner!!!)

He is treating the business as a true software entity...Not define the company by "handsets" which people can't get out their heads....to him, he just sees the hardware components merely as vehicle to deliver what he truly wants to sell...which explains the urgency to get to point where revenue is primarily made of software sales.

See how everyone talks about the "connected" car....and QNX?

No one cares if it is a GM car or Ford car or a car with five wheels....or if BlackBerry is building that particular car.....
    they just want BlackBerry to build and have QNX be available for a lot of cars, in different "hardware" manufacturers!!

Like I said before, let the hardware manufacturers battle each other out in the losing battle amongst themselves because what you have is truly unique and applicable to all cars...

(another comparison, look at their offering as if it was gasoline!)

At the present moment, hardware is (unfortunately) the biggest component of their revenues...and because this is going down, everyone is critiquing them, because they still define BlackBerry that way.

But if I understand correctly...this is by design!!

Don't limit your true offerings to a silly small hardware component!!!!
    Last edited by BACK-2-BLACK; 07-11-15 at 03:53 PM.
    07-11-15 03:27 PM
    I'm pretty sure, if was up to JC entirely, the BB10 and BBW would of put it behind them and evolved to this Android step a while ago....but currently pleasing big governments and regulated industries by providing these handsets to currently make them happy AND to get back in..but this time around, with the goal of recapturing their lost customers and hoping forward with software offerings...
    Last edited by BACK-2-BLACK; 07-11-15 at 04:04 PM.
    07-11-15 03:43 PM
    Amongst other things!!

(oh c'mon, I just said what you all were thinking!)

That second pic is superb. First pic isn't that bad either :P Good stuff!!
    zyben likes this.
    07-11-15 04:06 PM
    I'm pretty sure, if was up to JC entirely, the BB10 and BBW would of put it behind them and evolved to this Android step a while ago....but currently pleasing big governments and regulated industries by providing these handsets to currently make them happy AND to get back in..but this time around, with the goal of recapturing their lost customers and hoping forward with software offerings...
    Android is a mix of necessity and convenience. I think they've put BB10 into maintenance mode to be resuscitated once they get the handset business back to profits. Android leaves their handset OS in the control of another company and the other company's whims. With the Android Run Time, and with BB10, BlackBerry wasn't beholden to anyone else.

Thor understood this. Chen does too. But Chen is being conservative and gambling that he can enhance handsets with a better Android than a better BB10. Let�s hope he's right and also hope that BlackBerry can return to full on development of BB10 one day.

Posted via CB10
    jxnb and Bacon Munchers like this.
    07-11-15 04:31 PM
    Android is a mix of necessity and convenience. I think they've put BB10 into maintenance mode to be resuscitated once they get the handset business back to profits. Android leaves their handset OS in the control of another company and the other company's whims. With the Android Run Time, and with BB10, BlackBerry wasn't beholden to anyone else.

Thor understood this. Chen does too. But Chen is being conservative and gambling that he can enhance handsets with a better Android than a better BB10. Let�s hope he's right and also hope that BlackBerry can return to full on development of BB10 one day.

Posted via CB10
    That is a good way of putting it..."Android is a mix of necessity and convenience."

I think JC gave them that grace period to see if BB10 and BBW would be the one to carry their offerings, but quickly saw that it wasn't happening. Not because it sucks, but because the general market isn't adapting to it.

He already had this in mind when he first came on board (if you heard him speak about the BlackBerry situation and people were then saying bye bye BB10).... so no more trying to continue the same old like previous management (because that meant death) but to start thinking outside the box altogether since there was no other choice...
    app_Developer and jxnb like this.
    07-11-15 04:51 PM
    Why does everyone on this site keep saying bb10 is dead?

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 05:22 PM
    Not losing money is an admirable goal, but at some point Chen needs to use his judgement and decide that a device is worth the advertising push that it needs in order not to flop. I think the Passport was worth that, even if we ignore the Z10 and Q10 and Z30 and Classic. NO company in the industry, and few in the world, can succeed without advertising, and due to the damaged brand image, BlackBerry certainly cannot. Assess the device. Make a bold call. Otherwise, they may as well not even bother.

Posted via CB10
    More than that. He needs to decide which device gets R&D in the first place and from that concept how the company can market it use it as a tie in for enterprise and corporate customers. THAT is the key!

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 06:53 PM
    I want to share the following thread from CrackBerry's Forums with you:

BlackBerry - Clear Up Misconceptions, Kill Senselesss rumors!

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1028471

Let me know there if I'm off or on track or just off my rocker. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-11-15 07:04 PM
113,251 ... 34593460346134623463 ...