Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Why are you ignoring their debt?

Posted via CB10
    True, long-term debt is about what? $1.25b or so? They have enough cash on-hand to pay it off. But their assets and intellectual property has to be at-least worth $1.25b (QNX (now in 60m cars), BBM, 44k Patents, Nanthealth endevors, etc.) My valuation was simply based on profit & cash-on-hand (Ignored long-term debt & current assets - Assuming of course that that those two even eachother out, which they probably do? But again, it's tough to value intellectual property so that's why it's so tough).
    Last edited by Flip4Bytes; 07-08-15 at 09:00 PM.
    07-08-15 08:22 PM
    OT:
    Messaging apps

Chat Apps Take a Swipe at Facebook - WSJ

By DEEPA SEETHARAMAN
    July 8, 2015 7:20 p.m. ET

Five years ago, Justin Pak primarily used Facebook to keep tabs on friends and family. Now the 28-year-old New York brand strategist favors any of the six messaging apps on his phone.

“When you message someone, there’s more of an expectation that they’ll write back,” Mr. Pak says. “Posting on Facebook is like taping a piece of paper on a friend’s door and hoping they see it.”

Facebook Inc. popularized the notion of an online social network a decade ago. Now, the rapid rise of messaging services is changing social networking, as users increasingly communicate one-to-one, rather than the one-to-many more common on Facebook.

Six of the world’s 10 most-used apps are messaging services, according to data startup Quettra. On average, messaging apps are used an average of almost nine times a day, compared with 1.9 for all apps, according to the Flurry mobile-analytics unit of Yahoo Inc.

Inside Facebook, Deutsche Bank estimates that users tap its WhatsApp and Messenger texting apps 25 to 30 times a day, compared with 15 for the main Facebook feed. Analysts expect WhatsApp to reach a billion users by early next year, seven years after it began—two years faster than Facebook itself hit that mark.

Students of communication say the growth of messaging apps is natural, because one-to-one chats more closely mirror how people interact every day. Users aren’t abandoning Facebook, but its purpose has changed.

“WhatsApp is filling a more primary need than social media” sites like Facebook and Twitter, said Scott Campbell, professor of mobile communications at the University of Michigan. “Maybe there’s something kind of evolutionary about it, something kind of clannish.”

Facebook itself has embraced the trend. Beyond acquiring WhatsApp for $22 billion in 2014, it also developed and promoted Messenger, which now boasts more than 700 million users.

“We believe that messaging, it’s one of the few things that people actually do more than social networking,” Facebook founder and Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg said during a public question-and-answer session last year.

Still, the shift poses risks for Facebook, which makes money by inserting advertising in users’ “feeds” of posts by their friends. Many messaging apps don’t show messages in a similar stream, making it more challenging to display ads.

Some Asian messaging services generate revenue in other ways. Roughly 550 million people in China turn to WeChat each month to keep tabs on friends, play mobile games and watch NBA games, with parent Tencent Holdings Ltd. getting a cut when users make purchases of real or virtual goods. It also places ads in its “Moments” feed, which is similar to Facebook’s news feed.

Line, which is popular in Japan, Taiwan and Thailand, makes money through in-app purchases and by selling packs of online stickers for about $1.99 apiece to its 205 million monthly active users.

So far, such initiatives don’t generate anywhere near as much revenue as Facebook ads. Line, WeChat and Korea’s KakaoTalk collect $1.50 to $3 a year per monthly active user, according to RBC Capital Markets analyst Mark Mahaney. That is less than one-third of Facebook’s $9.45 in revenue per monthly user in 2014.

Facebook hinted at future plans in March when it opened Messenger to outside developers who made photo and video apps for the messaging platform. It also added a feature to allow users to track orders from online retailers Zulily Inc. and Everlane. For now, none of those features generate revenue.

David Marcus, head of Messenger, says Facebook understands the challenge and must “leapfrog” the Asian messaging apps.

“Right now, we make no money on Messenger,” Mr. Marcus said. “But we’re hopeful that over time we’ll find out a really good business model for Messenger and one that’s very sustainable.”

To be sure, Facebook isn't going away. Some 1.44 billion people visit Facebook at least once a month. The social network is adding tens of millions of users each month, many in developing countries who see Facebook as “the Internet.”

On average, though, Facebook users are sharing less. Roughly 42% of Facebook users said they posted a status update or commented on the social network in the first quarter—down from 69% in the first quarter of 2013, according to surveys by market researcher GlobalWebIndex.

“The rise of Messenger, WhatsApp and others is causing behaviors on ‘traditional’ networks to become much more passive,” said Jason Mander, head of trends for GlobalWebIndex. “We’re not leaving sites like Facebook per se, but we are using them for fewer things.”

Christie Silver, a 39-year-old freelance writer in Red Bank, N.J., used to discuss her political beliefs on Facebook. These days, she shares only news stories and pictures of her children. Ms. Silver says she stopped posting about her beliefs after one too many judgmental comments from Facebook friends. She now stays in touch with her husband and friend through texts on Google Hangouts.

“I don’t use Facebook the way I used to,” she says. “When I look at the status updates that I put up six years ago, it was more about my state of mind.”

Facebook’s Mr. Marcus says social-media use is changing, but the number of users on Facebook, and the time they spend on the network are both increasing. “So I think that’s not a problem,” he adds.

Some users are experimenting with messaging apps in ways that bend the one-to-one model, creating a hybrid form of communication.

At Luther Burbank High School in Sacramento, Calif., teachers use WhatsApp to help non-English-speaking students learn the language. Most students already had the app, so teachers created a group chat for the class. Teachers pose a daily question in English by text and audio message to the group, giving students until the morning to respond.

Larry Ferlazzo, who has taught English for nonnative speakers for 11 years at the inner-city school, says WhatsApp lets students speak and write their answers. “Both features are important for learners of a second language,” he says.Mr. Ferlazzo says it would be challenging to use Facebook in a similar way. “You’d have to all ‘friend’ everybody else,” he said. “That might put unnecessary pressure on students to friend their teachers.”
    07-08-15 10:21 PM
    Irrational (IMO)...but that's the nature of the beast.
    Thanks to all for the great discussion and work with all the links...best thread on the interwebs. .

Classically Posted.
    Mr BBRY, 3MIKE, Corbu and 3 others like this.
    07-08-15 10:21 PM
    Damn wall huggers. It's an epidemic. Stop the madness. Especially for this smart guy.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 11:37 PM
    Why are you ignoring their debt?

Posted via CB10
    Wow. I thought you knew lot more about valuation? Or you know but!!!!!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    07-09-15 12:30 AM
    Wowsers! I think I will just turn my back on this bloodbath of a market for a month.

On a lighter note:
    Nice play by Ford's CEO regarding being against Apple and Google cars, and pro BlackBerry QNX; albeit a little blurb, but put in red letters.

"Ford, like most car makers, is supporting both Google�s Android Auto and Apple�s CarPlay, but those systems are only allowed to be a secondary interface to a primary navigation system."
    [Yeah! QNX.]

http://recode.net/2015/04/30/ford-ce...gle-and-apple/
    Mr BBRY, 3MIKE, awindsr and 6 others like this.
    07-09-15 01:57 AM
    Hi guys!
    Just a few words re 'undervalued valuation'.
    While I agree with most (you know me) I would like to remain everybody to stand very cautious and NOT going 'all in' and endanger all savings or retirement funds.
    The market 'suchs' right now, BBRY is still a very volatile stock and at the end of the day, our system values the company at the price the market sets it.
    Even if we disagree (I repeat: I do) we must keep that in mind.

FWIW
    Cheers
    SF

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-09-15 at 06:22 AM.
    07-09-15 03:29 AM
    Now, some feelings to pounder the above.
    I've been in talk with an official BlackBerry (can't be specific).
    Of course I had no more info than what we have already.
    But later, when I came home, a single sentence came back in my mind :
    'can't wait they reveal what they have in the bag'

Please understand it's not a breaking announcement but I know this person pretty well and, yeah, it does mean 'something'.
    2cents, salt, etc.

Posted via CB10
    Mr BBRY, 3MIKE, awindsr and 11 others like this.
    07-09-15 03:58 AM

Please understand it's not a breaking announcement but I know this person pretty well and, yeah, it does mean 'something'.
    2cents, salt, etc.

Posted via CB10
    Well, I certainly hope that what they have in the bag is amazing, but you are right about the salt. How many times have we heard that something amazing is in a bag or just around a corner? Amazing would be great, but I'd be satisfied with 'very good', marketed well.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR, Corbu, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    07-09-15 06:12 AM
    Please note this in nothing close to 'official'. I mean it denotes how he/she feels ATM.
    But sometimes, these free talks are more revealing than an examination rule ...
    Still, sure, salt it a lot.
    I for one would like an 'amazing' wow effect with a very good execution
    Corbu, rarsen, morganplus8 and 7 others like this.
    07-09-15 06:21 AM
    Dear readers

If you pick some material from here, we'd appreciate you play fair and don't forget to give props (you can even link : right click the post # and "copy URL") and ( / or, at least) thank the author !
    Thank you very much
    Corbu, jxnb, BigBadWulf and 7 others like this.
    07-09-15 06:47 AM
    07-09-15 07:27 AM
    Again, FWIW:
    Rumour related...
    Posting because there are some interesting new bits of "information" and the source is close to the action (Taiwan).

BlackBerry to roll out Android-based smartphones in 2H15, say sources

BlackBerry to roll out Android-based smartphones in 2H15, say sources
    Daniel Shen, Taipei; Steve Shen, DIGITIMES [Thursday 9 July 2015]

BlackBerry reportedly plans to roll out multiple models of Android-based smartphones in the second half of 2015, with Taiwan-based handset ODMs, including Foxconn Electronics, Compal Electronics and Wistron serving as production partners, according to sources at Taiwan's handset supply chain.

While running on Android OS, the new BlackBerry smartphones will also integrate some software functions of BlackBerry OS and application services such as BES12, BBM and BlackBerry Blend, said the sources.

To enhance the competitiveness of its hardware products, BlackBerry has expanded the list of its hardware partners to include Compal Electronics and Wistron in addition to the previous partner Foxconn, the sources added.

The roll-out of Android-based BlackBerry phones is unlikely to result in losses at BlackBerry since these Taiwan-based ODMs will be responsible for R&D, marketing and channel distribution expenses, indicated the sources.

Since BlackBerry still enjoys a high brand image in a number of markets, the BlackBerry-ODM partnerships might be able to ramp up overall shipments of BlackBerry phones and therefore boosting the value of BlackBerry's hardware business unit, commented the sources.
    FTR, from the latest EC:

On the handset front, we are taking steps to get the business to profitability. A few key actions were taken in the quarter. Number one, we have reduced our spending in hardware through some level of reorganization. Number two, we moved some hardware resources to our software and our IoT efforts. And last but not least, in addition to our existing agreement with Foxconn, our handset manufacturers, we also expanded a joint development agreement, or called the JDM-ODM agreement, with Compal and Wistron. Both companies in Taiwan.
    Last edited by Corbu; 07-09-15 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Added last EC's quote
    07-09-15 07:42 AM
    07-09-15 08:30 AM
    It looks like the share buyback just started... 500K on the TSX right at the start of trading (unless I'm mistaken). Does anyone here have level 2 trading access without the 15 min delay?
    zyben likes this.
    07-09-15 08:34 AM
    Not sure if related to buyback, still ...
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    (no jinx intended !)

P.S: I'll be on the road all day so don't expect much from me today; 800Km to go: me, my pet and the QNX powered Uconnect !
    Cheers all, probably in off-the-screen-rehab-mode too for the next couples of days.
    07-09-15 09:05 AM
    07-09-15 09:07 AM
    Chen, emulated ...
    “We are moving from a strategy to grow a standalone phone business to a strategy to grow and create a vibrant Windows ecosystem that includes our first-party device family.”
    Is Microsoft Giving Up on Smartphones? | Fox Business

(I'm goooone !)
    07-09-15 09:14 AM
    That's why in my opinion :

http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/07/bla...droid-domains/

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, rarsen, zyben and 1 others like this.
    07-09-15 09:18 AM
    I think the whole market is just up as there is optimism of Greece bailout.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-09-15 09:29 AM
    I think the whole market is just up as there is optimism of Greece bailout.

Posted via CB10

Actually it looks like Oil prices and China Stock situation have been affecting the markets... and yesterday's China Stock rebound seem to be the trigger today...

"Energy Stocks Lead as China Rebound Boosts Oil Prices"

And

"After Wednesday's collapse, China's Shanghai Composite just logged its largest one-day rise since 2009"
    bungaboy, leafs123 and 3MIKE like this.
    07-09-15 09:46 AM
    Wowsers! I think I will just turn my back on this bloodbath of a market for a month.
    Tell me about it!!!

Best to walk away this month, or dare I say this quarter...

After that, expect things to smooth out and steadily climb

Great buying opportunity though!!!
    awindsr, bungaboy, zyben and 2 others like this.
    07-09-15 09:49 AM
    OT:

Also, closer to home (which for some reason we don't hear much of...)

"Puerto Rico facing historic default on its $72 billion debt"

Also, Illinois State Budget not approved and the state has no money to pay it's government workers, etc!!!!
    07-09-15 09:52 AM
    (not sure if already posted)

OT:

"WeChat messaging app linked to blackmail scam"
    bungaboy, zyben and rarsen like this.
    07-09-15 09:57 AM
    Just my .2 cents if there is some "great stuffs in their bags" then it will make sense that they start the buyback when the sp is at a discounted price. if these 2 are true then in a few weeks the sp will probably rally up close to the 200-days EMA.
    Happy day gang!!!

2cents, salt, etc.

Posted via CB10
    It looks like the share buyback just started... 500K on the TSX right at the start of trading (unless I'm mistaken). Does anyone here have level 2 trading access without the 15 min delay?
    bungaboy, zyben and 3MIKE like this.
    07-09-15 10:41 AM
113,252 ... 34563457345834593460 ...