View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Enjoy the long weekend! It's time for bbqs, beers, and babes with BlackBerrys

Corbu, kadakn01, Mr BBRY and 4 others like this.
    07-02-15 07:51 PM
    07-02-15 08:28 PM
    so a android based passport as well as the slider? Why not the classic as well while they are at it!
    Anyone believe this to be true?
    Last edited by kadakn01; 07-03-15 at 02:25 AM.
    07-03-15 01:37 AM
    so a android based passport as well as the slider? Why not the classic as well while they are at it!
    Evleaks is pretty reputable. I don't get the virtual keyboard on a qwerty device though.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    07-03-15 06:22 AM
    It's hard to tell. But I wouldn't be surprised. If it's marketed right it could be a sales success
    07-03-15 07:19 AM
    Looks kind of like how Paypal allows you to pay for stuff in store, except the interface looks very dated.

BlackBerry really needs the pizazz to their apps and UIs. They always look so plain and boring.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 07:47 AM
    OT: With ad blocking software, readers have declared war on publishers

We now have the perfect riposte to the tiresome dinner party guest who insists that she is never influenced by advertising. Good news for bumptious Mad Men but the bad news is that the big influence of web advertising is mainly to provoke consumers to switch it off.

Advertisers know that popup ads, banners and videos annoy web users, and for several years the technology to block irritating advertisements has been available. For media companies and Internet publishers who rely on advertising income, the emergence of browser applications that filter out advertisements was a worrying development.

The worriers now have reason to be alarmed. Use of ad blocking software is ubiquitous; according to the 2015 Reuters Digital News Survey, 47 per cent of American readers of news websites and 39 per cent of British readers are using ad blocking software. Of equal concern is the survey�s confirmation that web advertising is a turnoff with about a third of readers saying they ignore ads and will avoid websites where advertising interferes with content.

Web advertising revenues are falling and no one seems to have a solution that would keep readers happy while allowing advertisers and publishers to make a profit. According to Pagefair, a consultancy that advises publishers how to keep their advertising safe from ad blocking, Google lost more than $6-billion in revenues forgone from advertising blocked by Google Search users. Adblock Plus, one of the leading software providers, claims 300 million downloads of its app. Launched a decade ago as an open source project, the app can be tailored by users but its parent, Eyeo, also generates revenue from publishers who can whitelist their ads by complying with their minimum standard of acceptable ads. However, Adblock users can also tailor the app to exclude even the compliant, whitelisted advertising.

It looks like the media industry is on a collision course with � who, exactly? The only honest answer must be that the readers have declared war on the publishers, a conflict in which neither side can gain long-term advantage. In exasperation over the impact of ad blocking, British newspaper the Guardian has installed a message on its website that pops up when it detects ad blocking software, asking the reader to make a voluntary contribution. The Guardian�s left-leaning commentary has, to its surprise and delight, secured a very large readership in North America and it has so far resisted a subscription-based funding model. However, it is difficult to see how it can survive in its present form if its international web audience insists that free must really mean free-for-all.

In Germany, desperate media companies have taken Eyeo to court, seeking protection from its alleged anticompetitive behaviour but two recent challenges, one by Handelsblatt and Die Zeit, another by broadcasters RTL and ProSiebenSat.1 Media AG both failed. A third of Germans are using ad blocking software and Meetrics, an Internet advertising consultancy reckons that it has cost publishers more than �800-million in ad revenue forgone.

The battle is not over because it is now switching to mobile phones where the leading software providers, Google and Apple control the operating systems and therefore can control ad blocking software. The latest bad news is that iOS 9, the latest version of Apple�s mobile browser will allow you to download an ad blocking app. But the story does not end there because Apple is not just interested in making life easier for users, it is also very keen to get control of the content that you see on your iPhone. Apple is launching a News Format in the fall for iOS 9 and has already signed up several big media companies, including The New York Times, CNN and Bloomberg.

It�s all about being compatible with the dominant platform or media infrastructure. The question that readers need to ask is to what extent they are prepared to narrow their choice of news or information supplier to those made available by the platform owner and if not, to what extent they are prepared to tolerate sponsored news. Faced with the decimation of their conventional advertising revenues, some newspapers, including The New York Times and the Guardian have begun to publish sponsored content where a commercial organization collaborates with journalists to produce copy which is then visibly branded with the organization�s logo. The branding is visible but discreet and the stories look �independent�, albeit produced in collaboration with the sponsor.

Many readers may be indifferent to the niceties of editorial independence and the threat from the octopus tentacle of technology companies. If you are reading this article, it is because you (or someone on your behalf) has paid a subscription. However, according to the Reuters digital survey, three-quarters of Britons and two-thirds of Americans would never pay to watch or read news.

The British are being disingenuous, however, because even those who steadfastly refuse the invitation to subscribe to websites are involuntarily paying for what is one of the most powerful and influential news services in the world, the BBC. It is funded by a compulsory licence, paid for by each household in Britain and the continuation of that poll tax is currently the subject of political controversy in the U.K. In Canada, the state broadcasting model is also threatened and it is fair to say that even if the BBC�s licence-based funding continues, the world cannot rely on government-sponsored broadcasting to provide a balance to the encroachment of commercial sponsorship into news content.

The simple answer may be that advertisers need to produce better advertising that people might enjoy watching. The Mad Men have done it before; they need to get creative.
    rarsen, Corbu, jxnb and 7 others like this.
    07-03-15 07:58 AM
    Hi gang, no U.S trade today, right ?
    07-03-15 08:09 AM
    07-03-15 08:16 AM
    Evleaks is pretty reputable. I don't get the virtual keyboard on a qwerty device though.
    It is like the current PP setup, where the virtual portion is for numbers, special characters and symbols.
    zyben likes this.
    07-03-15 08:37 AM
    Wonder if this will be part of the next OS upgrade... where all BB10 phones get this Android skin, or it is just reserved for devices that are Android only as some rumours suggest?

I'm sure there are current PP owners that would want it, but wouldn't want to buy another device just to get this Android skin.
    zyben and bungaboy like this.
    07-03-15 08:43 AM
    Green is good
    zyben and 3MIKE like this.
    07-03-15 08:46 AM
    I am still amazed on how BB Android rumour is reported as fact!
    kadakn01, rarsen, georg4BB and 5 others like this.
    07-03-15 08:56 AM
    07-03-15 09:28 AM
    In Stock!!!!

BlackBerry Classic - Blue

ShopBlackBerry Online Store - BlackBerry Classic - Blue

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-400x500_classic_blue_front_en.png
    rarsen, Superfly_FR, zyben and 5 others like this.
    07-03-15 09:40 AM
    Exactly.

The only information we have are the 3 seconds of the slider presentation at MWC. I can remember, Chen said something about a different kind of use or handling in regards of the dual curved screen. And this device was running BB10 obviously.
    I don't believe that Chen shows the world a BB10 device on march and then launches this device with Android.

Then we have have the official statement that BB is still commited to BB10. This statement would be a blatant lie, if the Slider - the next flagship device - runs on Android only.
    jxnb, 3MIKE, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    07-03-15 09:43 AM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-shopbb-banner-independence-day-cropped.png

Sales time! ;-)

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR, zyben and bungaboy like this.
    07-03-15 09:43 AM
    This actually looks great. From evleaks.

At first glance, it looks like close to stock Android.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-ci_ss-hwoaavffk.png
    07-03-15 09:48 AM
    Wonder if this will be part of the next OS upgrade... where all BB10 phones get this Android skin, or it is just reserved for devices that are Android only as some rumours suggest?

I'm sure there are current PP owners that would want it, but wouldn't want to buy another device just to get this Android skin.
    You could (maybe) an AOSP skin - no way you'd be able to do an Android skin because the design elements and trade dress are owned by google.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-03-15 09:48 AM
    ...can thank Photoshop for that ! lol
    bungaboy, zyben and 3MIKE like this.
    07-03-15 10:03 AM
    This actually looks great. From evleaks.

At first glance, it looks like close to stock Android.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CI_sS-hWoAAvffK.png 
Views:	1490 
Size:	235.8 KB 
ID:	360740
    The device itself looks gorgeous. What I am NOT linking is that,as you stated, it really looks like stock Android. IF (big if) it's gonna be Android I'm really hoping they'll succeed in implementing a full BB10 experience,with the hub, active frames and no permanent 'buttons' at the bottom...

Posted via CB10
    zyben likes this.
    07-03-15 10:04 AM
    You could (maybe) an AOSP skin - no way you'd be able to do an Android skin because the design elements and trade dress are owned by google.
    psssttt... I personally don't care.....not a fan of Android os..... just trying to make sense of the post.....
    bungaboy, zyben and 3MIKE like this.
    07-03-15 10:10 AM
    OT: Security related

Profiting from cybersecurity: ETF surges as hack attacks grow

Profiting from cybersecurity: ETF surges as hack attacks grow - The Globe and Mail

A new exchange-traded fund that taps into the cybersecurity market has skyrocketed to $1-billion (U.S.) in assets under management in just seven months.

With the crafty ticker name HACK, the PureFunds ISE Cyber Security ETF mimics the ISE Cyber Security Index, which tracks the performance of companies actively engaged in providing services for cybersecurity and for which cybersecurity business activities are a key driver of their business model.

The rise in data breaches among banks, large retailers and even government offices is creating a necessary investment into enhanced cybersecurity technology, says Andrew Chanin, CEO of PureFunds and portfolio manager of HACK.

The timing of the launch couldn�t have been better, coming just two weeks prior to the cyberattack on Sony Pictures Entertainment. It was an event that, unlike the leaked photos of actress Jennifer Lawrence, made people realize this could happen to them, said Mr. Chanin.

�Cyberattacks on celebrity photos didn�t seem like a situation that many people could identify with but the Sony attack was the first time that it really clicked with individuals that everyone is potentially vulnerable,� he said.

Cybersecurity companies come in a wide range of offerings including firewall manufacturers, authentication software providers and cyberactivity monitoring systems. The growing concern around cybersecurity has resulted in a hot market for cyber stocks, and the launch of a cybersecurity ETF was no exception for peaking investors� interest.

The fund is up 27 per cent year to date and top holdings include FireEye Inc. (FEYE), Qualys Inc. (QLYS), Fortinet Inc. (FTNT), Cyberark Software Ltd. (CYBR) and Splunk Inc. (SPLK).

The fund has an annual expense ratio of 0.75 per cent and the majority of the portfolio (59.6 per cent) is held in systems software companies. The remainder is made up of communications equipment, Internet software and services, aerospace and defence, application software and IT consulting.

The rapid growth was not expected by Mr. Chanin, who originally anticipated a longer learning curve among investors about the cybersecurity market.

�When we launched the cybersecurity ETF we knew we were onto something big, but the rate at which people have taken notice really exceeded what we could�ve hoped for,� he said. �We really thought there would need to be a bit more education, but the increase in number of cyberattacks has really brought the issue to the front page.�

The issue could gain further attention from investors as First Trust, the sixth-largest U.S. issuer of exchange traded funds, has filed plans for a cybersecurity ETF, the First Trust Nasdaq CEA Cybersecurity ETF.
    Corbu, rarsen, La Emperor and 5 others like this.
    07-03-15 10:11 AM
    Wanaplay the rumor game ?
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sizzl...ndroid_id70972
    Lol.

Posted via CB10
    spike12, bungaboy, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    07-03-15 10:26 AM
    07-03-15 10:28 AM
113,256 ... 34483449345034513452 ...