View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Morgan and bbjdog!

Thank you for taking the time to get back to me with your comments.on my "tough love" musings...

Your points about the B of E and Indiana are very well taken, Morgan. I do believe that you are right and that we will see a consistent flow of business back, in due time. Time is the key factor here. I was perhaps hoping for a quicker turnaround or uptake but I was mistaken and will adjust. As you point out and as those of you here who know much more than I do from a technical point of view, it may well be that their technical package for Enterprise as well as their salesforce are not even yet up to par (by the way, we have not heard anything new on that salesforce agreement from a Q ago). Patience is a virtue in this instance as this ship is being turned around. We are what, one third of JC's mandate? Not bad... And I suspect he still has a few surprises up his sleeve!

I guess my point - as I try to rationalize it - had more to do with the "Communications" side of things, in general, which happened to have also been illustrated in the poor handling of the analysts' questions. But this is done in good faith as I want, like all of you, for this company to succeed. It may well be that I am reading far too many articles and posts and that the constant bashing is getting to me! Thank you for setting me straight!

By the way, a layman's question, if I may: JC mentioned that they would get back to Tim Long and to the other analysts on that software question. Would it be possible for us, as shareholders, to get in touch with Investor Relations and ask for the same clarification?

Again, many thanks to you!
    06-25-15 08:22 PM
    There are 3 sides to every story . . . Yours, theirs and the truth!
    06-25-15 08:34 PM
    BlackBerry Internet of Health Things initiative enters next phase | MobileSyrup.com

BlackBerry’s QNX OS, the linchpin in the company’s burgeoning IoT strategy, is a wonderful example. Speaking with members of BlackBerry’s Healthcare team following the event, I learned that many pieces of current hospital technology are currently running QNX, yet remain unconnected to the IoHT. This is for two reasons: first, while QNX-powered automobiles, which can easily receive a software update OTA or during their next servicing, most current medical tech can’t; secondly, unlike the automobile industry, most healthtech manufacturers have been slow to adopt a role in servicing their products post-sale. The early stage of IoHT in Canada has left many dumb devices running a smart OS, waiting to be connected.
    06-25-15 09:03 PM
    Here is an excerpt from BBRY's SEC filing:

Software and Technology Licensing Revenue
    Software and technology licensing revenue, which includes fees from licensed BES software, client access licenses, technical support, maintenance and upgrades, software licensing revenues, and technology licensing revenues increased by $83 million , or 153.7% , to $137 million , or 20.8% of revenue, in the first quarter of fiscal 2016 , compared to $54 million , or 5.6% of revenue, in the first quarter of fiscal 2015 . The increase was primarily attributable to an increase in technology licensing revenues. The Company's software revenue for the first quarter of fiscal 2016 , excluding revenue from technology licensing, increased by over 20% compared to the same period in the prior fiscal year. The Company's software revenue for the first quarter of fiscal 2016, excluding revenue from technology licensing, decreased slightly from the fourth quarter of fiscal 2015. The Company expects that its software revenue, excluding revenue from technology licensing, will increase by over 20% in the coming quarter compared to the same period in the prior fiscal year.
    The Company is targeting software and technology licensing revenue in the $500 million range in fiscal 2016, excluding revenue generated from BBM services such as BBM Protected and BBM Meetings. The Company expects to generate software and technology licensing revenue from monetizing existing and forthcoming products and its patent portfolio, including as described above in �Business Overview - Strategy, Products and Services�. The Company expects the growth of software and technology licensing revenue to accelerate in the second half of fiscal 2016. The Company is no longer expecting $100 million in BBM revenue during fiscal 2016 due to a lower than expected rate of growth, but is focusing on enterprise in developed markets and consumers in developing markets to generate BBM revenue. The Company expects the generation of revenue from software and services and its other technologies to mitigate the impact of declining service revenue.
    Munx, CDM76, sati01 and 7 others like this.
    06-25-15 09:37 PM
    According to the filing software revenue actually decreased. However the expectation is that it will be above 20% in the next quarter.

Having worked in Sales, This is really not a challenge provided the pipeline is strong and you already have booked sales for the following quarter.

I think this is situation we are seeing since they have confirmed sales with the increase in BES12 deployment.
    06-25-15 09:40 PM
    Here is an excerpt from BBRY's SEC filing:

Software and Technology Licensing Revenue
    Software and technology licensing revenue, which includes fees from licensed BES software, client access licenses, technical support, maintenance and upgrades, software licensing revenues, and technology licensing revenues increased by $83 million , or 153.7% , to $137 million , or 20.8% of revenue, in the first quarter of fiscal 2016 , compared to $54 million , or 5.6% of revenue, in the first quarter of fiscal 2015 . The increase was primarily attributable to an increase in technology licensing revenues. The Company's software revenue for the first quarter of fiscal 2016 , excluding revenue from technology licensing, increased by over 20% compared to the same period in the prior fiscal year. The Company's software revenue for the first quarter of fiscal 2016, excluding revenue from technology licensing, decreased slightly from the fourth quarter of fiscal 2015. The Company expects that its software revenue, excluding revenue from technology licensing, will increase by over 20% in the coming quarter compared to the same period in the prior fiscal year.
    The Company is targeting software and technology licensing revenue in the $500 million range in fiscal 2016, excluding revenue generated from BBM services such as BBM Protected and BBM Meetings. The Company expects to generate software and technology licensing revenue from monetizing existing and forthcoming products and its patent portfolio, including as described above in �Business Overview - Strategy, Products and Services�. The Company expects the growth of software and technology licensing revenue to accelerate in the second half of fiscal 2016. The Company is no longer expecting $100 million in BBM revenue during fiscal 2016 due to a lower than expected rate of growth, but is focusing on enterprise in developed markets and consumers in developing markets to generate BBM revenue. The Company expects the generation of revenue from software and services and its other technologies to mitigate the impact of declining service revenue.
    "The Company's software revenue for the first quarter of fiscal 2016, excluding revenue from technology licensing, decreased slightly from the fourth quarter of fiscal 2015."

Case closed crew. No quarter over quarter growth. Still a great long.

Posted via CB10
    sati01, kadakn01, dusdal and 1 others like this.
    06-25-15 09:55 PM
    Blackberry June 23 2015 interim financial statements/report
    https://app.box.com/s/5zzvxiihwg36djoe12xce98rit2yitr6

By. BlackBerry Passport User
    CDM76, rarsen, zyben and 1 others like this.
    06-25-15 10:32 PM
    Wait, so it's ok for JC to disclose in the MD&A the software and licensing breakdown but not during the earnings call?

He and the CFO knew the breakdown was disclosed or going to be disclosed in the filings. It just makes it seem like they were either unprepared for obvious questions (flashback to Heins) or they were trying to hide/obfuscate something.

I'll give JC the benefit of the doubt that he may have talked customer growth and not dollars even though he knew analysts were talking dollars.

Time for a face palm? Where's that Picard picture?

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 11:23 PM
    Munx, Morgan, Marlowe, everyone: Thank you all for all of your very thoughtful contributions today!

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 11:27 PM
    "The Company's software revenue for the first quarter of fiscal 2016, excluding revenue from technology licensing, decreased slightly from the fourth quarter of fiscal 2015."

Posted via CB10
    This begs the question, why would software decline Q/Q given the significant BES wins during Q1? One scenario for this apparent paradox could be a significant loss of customers... Just don't understand why software growth would stall.

Passport on AT&T
    06-25-15 11:54 PM
    This begs the question, why would software decline Q/Q given the significant BES wins during Q1? One scenario for this apparent paradox could be a significant loss of customers... Just don't understand why software growth would stall.

Passport on AT&T
    Customer wins is useless metric. One large customer can yield more revenue than 100 smaller customers. Clearly the 2600 new customers this quarter brought in less revenue than the 2200 customers last quarter.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    06-26-15 12:17 AM
    Customer wins is useless metric. One large customer can yield more revenue than 100 smaller customers. Clearly the 2600 new customers this quarter brought in less revenue than the 2200 customers last quarter.

Posted via CB10
    OK, think I've been missing something regarding the new customers. Don't each of these customers represent recurring revenues going forward so that the 2600 customer wins build upon the previous 2200 wins? Thanks in advance for your input.

Passport on AT&T
    zyben likes this.
    06-26-15 12:31 AM

Passport on AT&T
    I wanted to throw in my 2 cents on the issue and maybe also address the issue on why blackstone is still listed on MOBL website yet BBRY added them this quarter. 1st off, quite a few companies are using BES 7 and have workers that still have the old phones, as well as in some cases were even still ordering them as of 18 months ago for those who requested them. However many of them about 2 years ago when the uncertainty of RIMM's future was up in the air, started using GOOD to manage iphone emails and then about 1 year ago also started testing MOBL on iPhones as well that were personally owned devices. (btw MOBL uses the inbox of the iphone where as GOOD required a separate login on the device and was much harder to use) The reason is that the legacy BBRY devices are slowly being retired (hence the expected 15% quarterly decline in SAF), but they are technically a MOBL client as well. BBRY in this case would only claim them as a new client if they upgrade to BES 10 or BES 12. In some cases as it sounds like with Blackstone and perhaps RBS, this very well may have been the case, although I can't say for sure. I know of many companies doing exactly this strategy. Now back to the issue with the decline in Q/Q, my thoughts are that MOBL is winding down their software at say Blackstone and within the next few months the annuitized revenue stream will kick in. The number of customers added is quite important as it shows traction in their business. It takes time to fully get the clients onboard and contributing to the revenue.
    The real hope is that with the confidence that BBRY will now be around (btw the cash position is the highest in history, see the previous mention last quarter of this) they will go back to BBRY for BES 12, hence the EZ Pass program. I think we are still years away from all the old BlackBerrys being shut off completely.
    Lastly, the confusion of adding IP licensing was a bit unexpected and has made it difficult for those in the analyst community to model out their revenue stream. However, although the rules of the game may have been slightly altered with respect to adding a new source to hit the 500M target, as echoed here earlier, JC said over a year ago that he will look at the IP portfolio to create value and has done just that. To me, it is just a stop gap while the software ramps up as it is a steep curve increasing later in the year.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by kadakn01; 06-26-15 at 12:45 AM.
    morganplus8, Corbu, rarsen and 6 others like this.
    06-26-15 12:31 AM

Posted via CB10
    Just cause you said it. Case is not closed. Stay tuned. No need to put doubts on JC's performance or draw a conclusion that JC is making things up.
    This thread is being watched by many blackberry vultures and they would love to grab any negative feedback to bring it down. The bottom line is that every one out there known to create negatives from anything JC says and anything BlackBerry does.
    All I know is the blackberry made money on software and increased their cash position.
    I have been hearing blackberry running out of cash and dead company for years but all the pundits have been wrong so for. No one and I mean no one is questioning any of those pundits that how come they are wrong over and over and over.
    Lots of shorts money riding on BlackBerry and we have seen some creative and some very dumb characters in this thread and their only purpose is to disrupt.
    Like as you said that BlackBerry is on the right path. JC is in the driving seat IMO. If you invested in the company I assume you may have some faith in the CEO
    I am sure we will be discussing more. There is lots to come. Long game is not easy and we all know it.

06-26-15 12:47 AM
    Just cause you said it. Case is not closed. Stay tuned. No need to put doubts on JC's performance or draw a conclusion that JC is making things up.
    This thread is being watched by many blackberry vultures and they would love to grab any negative feedback to bring it down. The bottom line is that every one out there known to create negatives from anything JC says and anything BlackBerry does.
    All I know is the blackberry made money on software and increased their cash position.
    I have been hearing blackberry running out of cash and dead company for years but all the pundits have been wrong so for. No one and I mean no one is questioning any of those pundits that how come they are wrong over and over and over.
    Lots of shorts money riding on BlackBerry and we have seen some creative and some very dumb characters in this thread and their only purpose is to disrupt.
    Like as you said that BlackBerry is on the right path. JC is in the driving seat IMO. If you invested in the company I assume you may have some faith in the CEO
    I am sure we will be discussing more. There is lots to come. Long game is not easy and we all know it.

Don't forget 12 million less shares to short. Cheers
    06-26-15 04:27 AM
    Morgan and bbjdog!

Thank you for taking the time to get back to me with your comments.on my "tough love" musings...

Your points about the B of E and Indiana are very well taken, Morgan. I do believe that you are right and that we will see a consistent flow of business back, in due time. Time is the key factor here. I was perhaps hoping for a quicker turnaround or uptake but I was mistaken and will adjust. As you point out and as those of you here who know much more than I do from a technical point of view, it may well be that their technical package for Enterprise as well as their salesforce are not even yet up to par (by the way, we have not heard anything new on that salesforce agreement from a Q ago). Patience is a virtue in this instance as this ship is being turned around. We are what, one third of JC's mandate? Not bad... And I suspect he still has a few surprises up his sleeve!

I guess my point - as I try to rationalize it - had more to do with the "Communications" side of things, in general, which happened to have also been illustrated in the poor handling of the analysts' questions. But this is done in good faith as I want, like all of you, for this company to succeed. It may well be that I am reading far too many articles and posts and that the constant bashing is getting to me! Thank you for setting me straight!

By the way, a layman's question, if I may: JC mentioned that they would get back to Tim Long and to the other analysts on that software question. Would it be possible for us, as shareholders, to get in touch with Investor Relations and ask for the same clarification?

Again, many thanks to you!
    Corbu my friend! I would not put to much weight on Tim Long return call. Can BlackBerry really divulge any new information to Tim Long that they have not said in the conference and at the special meeting? Would that not break all the rules(yeah that's a stupid thing to say). Lol

You can contact Investor Relations, but I believe you will get the same answer and they will stick to their SEC filing, word for word.

Love really does hurt! Love BlackBerry devices, love the company, but hating their conferences. I think it's time to collect on that case of beer, I need it. Lmao
    06-26-15 04:54 AM
    Corbu my friend! I would not put to much weight on Tim Long return call. Can BlackBerry really divulge any new information to Tim Long that they have not said in the conference and at the special meeting? Would that not break all the rules(yeah that's a stupid thing to say). Lol

You can contact Investor Relations, but I believe you will get the same answer and they will stick to their SEC filing, word for word.

Love really does hurt! Love BlackBerry devices, love the company, but hating their conferences. I think it's time to collect on that case of beer, I need it. Lmao
    I'll bring it along... And will bring one for each of the faithful contributors to this thread who share the passion, in good as well as in bad times.

Good lesson for me: read the Form 6-K thoroughly before asking any questions!

Have a good day mate!
    Last edited by Corbu; 06-26-15 at 08:00 AM.
    bungaboy, Mr BBRY, zyben and 5 others like this.
    06-26-15 07:16 AM
    Software and technology licensing revenue, which includes fees from licensed BES software, client access licenses, technical support, maintenance and upgrades, software licensing revenues, and technology licensing revenues
    I have to many questions in regards to this section. When BlackBerry and analyst talk about software and technology licenses, how do they classify the above list.I can only assume BlackBerry did not re-classified anything above when they speak of Software And Technology increase or decrease in revenue. What a way to start my day!
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-26-15 07:42 AM
    I'll bring it along... And will bring one for each of the faithful contributors to this thread who share the passion, in good as well in bad times.

Good lesson for me: read the Form 6-K thoroughly before asking any questions!

Have a good day mate!

Don't forget the beer I like!

Cheers
    06-26-15 07:44 AM
    We do a great job in this thread of watching the analysts and how they impact the share price. That is important but it is more of a short perspective than a long.
    Does anyone monitor the BES threads to get a sense of how well BlackBerry is communicating to the customers. I don't think their weak marketing and communication with the general market is a good indicator of how they deal with customers one on one. Unless the people on this thread are BES customers we may be totally blind to the improvements in sales efforts.

Posted from my PassPort
    06-26-15 07:47 AM
    Don't forget the beer I like!

Cheers
    How could I forget! Made a lasting impression, for some reason...
    rarsen likes this.
    06-26-15 07:49 AM

Passport on AT&T
    Seasonality. It happened last year from q4 to q1 as well. Rule this out first.

Posted via CB10
    _dimi_ and bungaboy like this.
    06-26-15 08:03 AM
    How could I forget! Made a lasting impression, for some reason...
    I agree with you 100%. Looked so good and refreshingly smooth. Lol

Thanks for the laugh, cheers!
    Corbu likes this.
    06-26-15 08:21 AM
    Well they did it...and they will now close it at a 52wk low to get the headlines and try to show blackberry is dying....then they scoop up shares cheap and make big profits next year.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-15 08:34 AM
    Since people have been digging into things, let me try to make it clear:

If

X='core software revs' (BES)'
    Y= 'software licensing revs' (everything except tech licensing revs), and
    Z='software and tech licensing revs'

We know the following:

Z>Y>X and also that X,Y, and Z are not equal.

X is growing Y o Y at 20%+
    Y was slightly down Q o Q
    Y was slightly down last year Q o Q

Was x down Q o Q?
    You only know this if Y =X (or as Y approaches X). We know it's probably close but we also know it's not equal.

Therefore, in conclusion, you can't conclude that what Chen said at the cc was wrong, despite what the SEC filing says, BUT, we're all quibbling about maybe 1-2M on a q over q basis for a multi-billion dollar company. THAT'S what the analysts are all getting ANAL over. Hilarious, really.

And customer wins? What's your new total (including existing customers)? How many licenses are they getting? What package are they getting? When do they pay? Is BlackBerry offering any discounts? I don't expect a public company to need to share this level of information all the time. But from one q to another you should expect the mix of these things to be more or less the same, unless special sales efforts are being made to shift the mix.

In other words, the evidence points to seasonal factors, but we also don't know if all existing customers were retained, and we don't know if there's actually a price war going on right now (there could very well be).

Again, the analyst focus on q o q core revenue growth while ignoring everything else is infantile and dim witted.

Posted via CB10
    La Emperor, lech31, zyben and 14 others like this.
    06-26-15 09:29 AM
113,256 ... 34363437343834393440 ...