View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I don't recall this one being posted. Some good bits in here...
    BlackBerry CEO hints at major rebuild as handset sales slump - The Globe and Mail

BlackBerry Ltd. chief executive John Chen called his strategy for restoring the pride of Waterloo, Ont., a turnaround. But his comments at Tuesday’s annual general meeting instead signalled his desire for a complete rebuild.

After the release of earnings that disappointed analysts, Mr. Chen highlighted recent moves that suggest the company is reconsidering every part of the slumping hardware business that once made it the world’s biggest smartphone maker. From contracting out work, to shifting tasks to new staff or abandoning some areas altogether, the CEO implied all options are on the table in his bid to squeeze efficiency from the slumping unit that still accounts for most of its revenues.

In the midst of a push to pivot the company primarily from a handset maker to a software and services provider, Mr. Chen said he’s looking at the business as if he were starting a new handset company. “The way I think about it is, if we’re going to start a device business today, what are the levels of investment that should be put together?”

Because 75 to 80 per cent of handset components are common across all device makers, Mr. Chen said he’s reallocating hardware staff, contract manufacturing partners and even some parts of software design to deliver on those elements of the device that define the BlackBerry experience.

“BlackBerry’s defocusing efforts on the hardware business, managing it for profitability with reduced spending and reallocation of resources to growth initiatives,” RBC Dominion Securities analyst Mark Sue wrote in a note. “BlackBerry is blocking and tackling well near term, delivering cost reductions and launching products on time. It’s hard to cut your way to glory.”

First-quarter earnings revealed the company made 40 per cent of its $658-million (U.S.) in revenues from hardware on sales of a mere 1.1 million BlackBerry smartphones, a greater share than last year, when the company was collecting more money from service-access fees. The company reported an adjusted earnings-per-share loss of $0.05, which missed estimates in the $0.02 loss range. The overall pie is shrinking though, and to offset that decline, Mr. Chen has pledged that by the end of fiscal year 2016, BlackBerry can hit $600-million in revenues from software sales and messaging services. What roiled markets on Tuesday was mixed evidence about whether the plan is starting to work.

A bright spot in the morning’s otherwise weak first-quarter earnings was software and licensing revenue, up 150 per cent year over year to $137-million. But even there Mr. Chen admitted he may have “fumbled the ball.” Markets beat back a BlackBerry rally in the midmorning after it digested that some of that total came from a large patent-licence deal with Cisco Systems Inc.

“Initially, it looked like software was starting to explode, then on the call there’s some one-time licensing – who knows if it’s one-time – there was some unspeakable licensing in there. This is not the first quarter that had some cats and dogs thrown in [the software and licences category], but this time they had a big kitty, so it really stuck out,” BGC Partners analyst Colin Gillis said.

Mr. Chen acknowledged he may have confused analysts in the morning conference call when he threw out 23 per cent as a year-over-year number for software growth, when he should have said 30 per cent or more (the 23 per cent, he says, was just for its BlackBerry Enterprise Services mobile-device-management software).

“The analysts should know better,” Mr. Gillis said. “It’s too early for the software business to be standing on its own.”

Mr. Chen says that most of the revenue growth in software is happening in North America, which is a downside for what was once a globally relevant company. In the key overseas markets, the overall revenue trend was all downward: EMEA (Europe, the Middle East and Africa) revenue fell 41 per cent, Asia-Pacific fell 43 per cent and in Latin America it dove 66 per cent.

As part of the reallocation of resources, the Sweden-based software team responsible for some of the company’s user-interface work was axed to save money (they have not yet been replaced) and Mr. Chen has moved some workers in the handset team to other units in the company. He said he couldn’t promise that job cuts had ended, as he would need to keep expenses in line with still-falling revenues, but he is hiring different kinds of workers, pointing to a spate of hires at the company’s Ottawa offices related to QNX’s smartcar and Internet of Things teams.

But for all that, Mr. Chen repeated several times on Tuesday he is not abandoning hardware, where he thinks BlackBerry “has a shot.”

“In the hardware business if you get one hit, you can be huge. You get guys like Xaomi, now worth $40-billion right out of the gate,” said Mr. Gillis, though he said even BlackBerry’s new deals with contract manufacturers Compal and Wistron doesn’t mean he can match the cost advantage of Xaomi.

Security was at the heart of his message to shareholders: The company hopes secure software will dig it out of its hole. Even if Mr. Chen acknowledges that the miserable handset sales this quarter, 1.1 million, are in some way a legacy of security decisions.

Despite these worrying signals, he rejected any talk of an imminent takeover. “Oh no. No no no. Not at this price,” he declared, and said the company has “enough ingredients to put up a good fight until the fight determines one way or the other. We’ll be violently successful and the shareholder gets a huge reward.” He didn’t finish the thought, though he did remind everyone that he’s 19 months into a five-year contract.
    06-25-15 09:27 AM
    To ask a stupid question: Will BB only purchase on dips or will they trade their own shares, by selling if the price is high (is this even allowed?)
    Repurchased shares are cancelled, so no, they can't do this. However, they can time employee share issuance or a public share issuance according to whatever their current max is listed at for when the stock price is high.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 10:09 AM
    Taken from twitter. A nice image showing how much folks like MS and Deutsche increased their BBRY position in Q1 despite $6/7 targets

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-civlhxjukaaayhx.png

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 10:18 AM
    Taken from twitter. A nice image showing how much folks like MS and Deutsche increased their BBRY position in Q1 despite $6/7 targets

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIVlHXjUkAAayHX.png 
Views:	1839 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	359398

Posted via CB10
    Truly laughable...and somewhat warrants an applaud for the fact that they pull it off and get away with it.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bilaal; 06-25-15 at 10:53 AM.
    06-25-15 10:38 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIVlHXjUkAAayHX.png 
Views:	1839 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	359398

Posted via CB10
    Is it possible they bought sharers to hedge their short position?
    06-25-15 10:43 AM
    Is it possible they bought sharers to hedge their short position?
    Would anyone truly hedge their position, when they believe in what they say. I'm long BlackBerry and believe in what they are doing, but I'm going to hedge my bet because I am a preacher. My faith in GOD doesn't change, it's pure and simple.
    Bilaal likes this.
    06-25-15 11:10 AM
    I noticed Blackstone was listed as a BlackBerry customer win this past quarter:

--In financial services, customer wins included ATB Financial, Blackstone, Broadridge, Waha Capital, Mcube Financial, Farmers and Merchants Bank, Financial Technologies Group (India), Dragon Capital (Vietnam) and the Royal Bank of Scotland.--

BlackBerry Q1 FY16 Highlights: 150% Software Sales and Licensing Growth, Cisco and Intel Deals, and More | Inside BlackBerry

It's interesting note that Blackstone was an underwriter for the MOBL ipo:

-- The underwriters were Morgan Stanley, Goldman, Sachs & Co., Deutsche Bank Securities, Barclays, Raymond James, Stifel, Nomura and Blackstone Capital Markets.--

Investor FAQs | MobileIron | The Platform for Mobile IT

Blackstone is also listed as customer on the Mobile Iron website. I wonder how much longer that will be the case:

https://www.mobileiron.com/en/customers
    06-25-15 11:14 AM
    Just doubled down on my BBRY calls. (OT -Also just bought some YANG)

A couple of thoughts related to recent events.

1) The Cisco deal is more important than Wall Street is letting on. Cisco is building some major new R&D facilities in Ontario ($4+B and 1500+ new employees), and I think much of it is focused on IOT. There are big potential synergies between BlackBerry and Cisco, and they will both end up having lots of crossover with facilities and projects in Ottawa, Toronto, and Waterloo. A good chunk of the Cisco hires will likely be new graduates or ex-BB employees. And now they've got the IP deal to boot - Cisco is probably interested most in integration with QNX and the security side...

2) The share buyback will start on Monday, and it seems it will be done entirely via the Toronto listed shares. This may be the start of an effort to shift volume over to Toronto and away from Wall Street. Fairfax did this after it got attacked many years ago, and now it doesn't even list in the US. Interesting. If you have a choice, you should probably follow their lead and trade BB.TO rather than BBRY. The options are a bit thin here though for my liking, so I'm still using BBRY for that aspect.

Posted via CB10
    Good luck on your recent adds. I'm not one to normally comment on others trades but buying calls as a pure long play is, in my experience, a good way to lose money over the long term. I am sure you are aware of the many risks, but the deck is really stacked against you.

The initiation of the share buy back is basically meaningless. The program is too small to have a material effect on the SP.

Having said that, I hope you hit a home run. GL
    techvisor likes this.
    06-25-15 11:16 AM
    I can't believe the share price doesn't even have a dead cat bounce. And I can't believe there is a company that will push down its share price before the share buyback program starts. The share price is not even cheap enough?

Instead of just blaming the short sellers, should JC be more proactive and talk more to investors about his plans? When will be the next investor day or product launch event?

Where is the 'something big is brewing on app availability'?
    Where is the 'something that ppl don't need to bring two phones'?
    What is the revenue impact from QNX's OTA update through Blackberry network? How this can help the automakers? Is it something that the competitors cannot offer?
    How is the progress of the 'Experience suite' to be applied on iOS and android?
    Where is slider, Oslo and Prague??

It is sososo tiring and frustrating as a BBRY investor.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 11:17 AM
    I can't believe the share price doesn't even have a dead cat bounce. And I can't believe there is a company that will push down its share price before the share buyback program starts. The share price is not even cheap enough?

Instead of just blaming the short sellers, should JC be more proactive and talk more to investors about his plans? When will be the next investor day or product launch event?

What is the revenue impact from QNX's OTA update through Blackberry network? How this can help the automakers? Is it something that the competitors cannot offer?

Posted via CB10
    Chen did mention QNX OTA service will soon be adding Rev....on the CC

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk likes this.
    06-25-15 11:30 AM
    Good luck on your recent adds. I'm not one to normally comment on others trades but buying calls as a pure long play is, in my experience, a good way to lose money over the long term. I am sure you are aware of the many risks, but the deck is really stacked against you.

The initiation of the share buy back is basically meaningless. The program is too small to have a material effect on the SP.

Having said that, I hope you hit a home run. GL
    Buying calls is never a 'pure' long play...by definition it is a bet on price and time. I use them to add leverage (and cash out) at swing points. And FWIW it makes up less than 5% of my BlackBerry long position.

Also, the buyback is not meaningless, but I do agree that it won't likely affect sp. I was commenting mostly on how the buyback is happening...

Posted via CB10
    theRock1975 likes this.
    06-25-15 11:42 AM
    Also, it looks like BlackBerry is quietly focusing on IOT apps development in India.

http://www.livemint.com/Companies/vA...nt-itself.html

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 11:57 AM
    Chen did mention QNX OTA service will soon be adding Rev....on the CC

Posted via CB10
    Yes but can he elaborate/disclose a bit more, such as the increase in dollar value per vehicle? Its competitiveness? How can analysts make projections if everything is confidential? Why other companies like Mobileye can disclose so much more details?

And did the QNX team involve more in the UI design of the award winning audi TT which will translate into higher dollar value per vehicle as well?

Don't just keep repeating "Blackberry is the most secure....blahblahblah" but without giving any details.

Sorry I am a bit emotional but just want to say the company is really like a money printing machine for shortsellers. Can the management team be tough and fight back? Or is that JC just doesn't care about the share price?

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    06-25-15 12:09 PM
    This would the virtual sim solution courtesy of Movirtu. Target market are users who carry two phones because they need/want two separate phone numbers. A small niche market.
    06-25-15 12:10 PM
    Yes but can he elaborate/disclose a bit more, such as the increase in dollar value per vehicle? Its competitiveness? How can analysts make projections if everything is confidential? Why other companies like Mobileye can disclose so much more details?

And did the QNX team involve more in the UI design of the award winning audi TT which will translate into higher dollar value per vehicle as well?

Don't just keep repeating "Blackberry is the most secure....blahblahblah" but without giving any details.

Sorry I am a bit emotional but just want to say the company is really like a money printing machine for shortsellers. Can the management team be tough and fight back? Or is that JC just doesn't care about the share price?

Posted via CB10
    Couldn't agree with you more, I believe since day 1 there's collusion with Chen and Watsa

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    06-25-15 12:15 PM
    I believe there are trolls who've been colluding on CrackBerry since day 1.
    Corbu, La Emperor, sidhuk and 4 others like this.
    06-25-15 12:45 PM
    OOPS my trollex watch just went off again. LOL

I have completed my talks with several name brand analysts and I will not mention their names (if I ever wish to talk to them again).

I asked several questions as politely as I possibly could be of course! The first question went to an analyst who missed revenue by 35% and handset unit sales by considerably more, my question was," I see that you were light on revenues going into Q1, you also missed on handset unit sales and that explains the revenue miss to some extent, in addition, you are assigning a full $ 70 MM towards patent revenue, this in itself still doesn't amend your miss regarding revenues, .... can you explain to me why you lowered your PT on BBRY to $ 10.00 from $ 11.00"?

The response was, "We are only one set of estimates so its what everyone is assuming as well " ............. (me), .... to be clear, you believe they missed on software growth because they did an unknown patent deal, correct?"

Okay, the "industry" feels that there must not have been any growth in software because of the patent deal. So I wondered out loud why "everyone" stopped at $ 70 MM and not $ 100 MM or the full $ 137 MM ............... apparently there was no need to add more negativity to the numbers, they speak for themselves. The theme being that Chen should have broken those numbers out, and because he didn't, he is being punished for his crimes.

When I spoke to more analysts, they were prepared to "adjust" their number from the industry standard as soon as they receive verification of those breakouts. It seems the mentality of analysts is to stick together, and when in doubt, utilize the worst case scenario.

Fine, so then I asked why their firms own shares in BlackBerry given the "across the board negative consensus" and the answer was, "they are independent of our research and they invest for other reasons not withstanding their own time element". Fair enough again, so my take-away is they we are going to see extremely negative reporting until such time as Chen brings more clarity to their reports. I.E. if Chen had stated that patents were $ 30 MM they would have to subtract $ 30 MM and adjust their thinking accordingly. The final take-away is that they hide behind each other in this matter.

It is important that we develop a system to keep track of analysts so that we can hold them to the fire and figure out which ones make sense and which ones don't. If a large firm like MS says they took in $ 70 MM in patent revenues, that is the standard for that industry. The point being made is that there is no need to speculate on better numbers if the company itself doesn't care. Its a form of punishment.
    Corbu, bizzarothor, zyben and 30 others like this.
    06-25-15 12:47 PM
    It's sesame Street time. Today's letters of the alphabet are F U D. They were brought to you by MS and friends.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 01:00 PM
    It's sesame Street time. Today's letters of the alphabet are F U D. They were brought to you by MS and friends.

Posted via CB10
    Good one! Lmao
    06-25-15 01:02 PM
    I believe there are trolls who've been colluding on CrackBerry since day 1.
    Yes I agree.

Also...wonder if there is a correlation with the amount of trolls and the layoffs over the years....

It seems like there is quite a bit of opinionated mad a$$ peeps .... on a "fan" site !!
    06-25-15 01:13 PM
    This would the virtual sim solution courtesy of Movirtu. Target market are users who carry two phones because they need/want two separate phone numbers. A small niche market.
    Yes it seems so. But I hope it will be the QNX hypervisor more....

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 01:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    I've been particularly interested in the anticipated software solution that would compel folks to only use one phone. Assume this was a reference to a solution for closing the app gap. Seemed ike the rumors about an Android phone were part of this solution. The silence from BlackBerry on Tuesday regarding this point is disappointing. Almost get a feeling that BlackBerry was working on such a solution and have hit some kind of roadblock... so now they're backing off from such talk... Do think that BlackBerry is building a solid portfolio of EMM products, but believe that devices will continue to struggle without a solution that brings all app to BlackBerry devices.

Passport on AT&T
    06-25-15 01:16 PM
    Did a double take... could of swore that I read:

....MS the D0UCHE ....

carry on !
    06-25-15 01:18 PM
    Ok guys, troll alert received.
    Let's focus on topic and enjour OUR forseeable perspecives !
    Cheers
    SF

P.S: FTR : NEVER expect any device/SW release news on ER. Never.
    06-25-15 01:19 PM
    Wow! Amazing conversations, M+8!

You and Umi should collaborate on an article about this blatant example of how the "analists" use collusion to punish BBRY and its stockholders for contrived reasons. Sickening.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, Mr BBRY, zyben and 1 others like this.
    06-25-15 01:20 PM
113,252 ... 34333434343534363437 ...