View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    OT: blackberry marketing
    I was just handed a beautiful book about BlackBerry customer success stories "Serious Mobility for Serious Business "
    Check it out at www.blackberry.com/go/success
    It should cheer you up

Posted from my PassPort
    06-24-15 05:37 PM
    Something of interest where end users SHOULD think more about personal security and the security of others! Something I feel BlackBerry NEEDS to immediately capitalize on.

Regina Police Department asks the city's iPhone users to stop asking Siri about 9/11 | MobileSyrup.com

SIRI FAILS!

This is about the personal security and safety of your Fellow Man/Woman/Child. In this day of the "Social Media" stupidity like this is like teenagers drinking late night in a park tossing the glass bottles into the grass. No concious thought about the safety of others who desperately NEED to call 911 services. - is this just 1 reason to choose iOS/Android, like really now?!

Twitter and Tumblr, whomever stated this crap needs a force KICK in the head!

I'm disgusted!
    Damn I hope this can't happen in a major city like Toronto or NYC

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1, 3MIKE, sidhuk and 2 others like this.
    06-24-15 05:40 PM
    Very OT: BB10, Citrix Receiver and Blue Touchpad app...

It's official, the Citrix Receiver app is a pain to use. Doesn't work on a Z30 using OS10.3.x. Works on a Passport, but not very well. Tapping on screen to move the cursor is a pain as the screen is too small to read easily. You have to zoom in and out to get something readable. BUT load the Blue Touchpad app from BlackBerry World on a spare BB10 device and pair the two phones via Bluetooth, and you're almost golden. The second phone acts like a mouse pad and Citrix becomes usable on a Passport. Little mouse cursor makes life enjoyable. Kinda cool actually.

Too bad none of the native BlackBerry keyboard tricks work inside Citrix, like long press a character to get a capital letter or swipe the keyboard to anything.

Wish I had access to the Classic that I bought for a family member. Would like to see if the touchpad makes the Citrix experience any easier.

Now, sorry for the distraction. (Thought we needed it.)

Back to stock talk...

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 06:01 PM
    Someone needs to remind Chen that he is the CEO of a company that makes smartphones and develops a smartphone OS optimized for business users. Maybe someone at the company has a flair for marketing, because his adventures in turning the company into a software business is clearly not working.
    techvisor likes this.
    06-24-15 06:52 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150624_195246.png
    zyben, bungaboy, rarsen and 6 others like this.
    06-24-15 06:53 PM
    Someone needs to remind Chen that he is the CEO of a company that makes smartphones and develops a smartphone OS optimized for business users. Maybe someone at the company has a flair for marketing, because his adventures in turning the company into a software business is clearly not working.
    Someone needs to remind the carriers that they said they wanted to see more than just two ecosystems, but their actions have only solidified the hold of the two.

If they really wanted more than two, the would make it happen. They still control the fates of all but one phone OEM in their hands. Give it time though. Apple's luster will fade one day and the carrier's will get full control of their brass balls back.

Whether you like it or not, Chen is moving BlackBerry towards an industry with no clear leader yet. He's not staying confined within a commoditized industry of which they are one of the smallest players, with the least bit of control.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, kadakn01, zyben and 9 others like this.
    06-24-15 07:27 PM
    I think yet another plan is a foot within BlackBerry and THEY are in the drivers seat.

Hypervisor Reduces System Costs of Medical, Industrial, and Automotive Devices by Enabling Critical and Non-Critical Applications to Run on a Single Hardware Platform

Secondary Source: BlackBerry's QNX Launches Hypervisor 1.0 VMM

Primary Source: http://www.qnx.com/images/products/h...rvisor_800.jpg

^ Both Good reads, especially for the lot of you that LOVE BB security yet crave Android benefits

PS: I did not too long ago, 7 days ago, but I just really am used to BB10 and I quite like it, irrespective of it's limitations.
    06-24-15 09:06 PM
    Here is the Todd Coupland, Robert Manson-Hing CIBC report:

(sorry, just the text only, couldn't copy the graphs and charts)

Patent Licensing Did Not Offset Weak Software Sales

What's The Event

Blackberry reported fiscal Q1 below our expectations. The headline
    software revenue, while ahead of expectations, was aided to an
    undisclosed extent by two patent cross-licensing
    agreements. The underlying business for software itself was said to be growing
    around 20%, well below our estimate for 70% Y/Y growth. Services
    revenue declined by 16%, faster than our estimate of 11%. These
    results are negative for BB's share price and a
    turnaround story.

For FQ1, sales were $658MM (cons. $694MM) and adj. FD EPS were
    $0.04 (cons. -$0.03, us -$0.06). Service revenue was $252MM (-16% Q/Q)
    and it was said this should decline at this pace in F2016.
    Software sales were $137MM (including a new licensing agreement
    from Cisco) compared to $74MM LQ. Software moved $7MM higher
    vs. the reported figure LQ due to BB reclassifying some service sales
    to software. Growth is expected to come from QNX, BES licenses
    and now IP licensing and acquisitions, both of which are changes.

Implications

Blackberry's turnaround still has a ways to go. It is too early to
    determine if its plan (software for service) can be successful.

The services to software gap is the issue. For F201
    6, we forecast BB to lose roughly $767MM in high margin service revenue. This
    compares to only a ~$250MM increase in software Enterprise Device
    Management (EDM) sales and support. The run rate revenue in Q1 is
    unknown, but below the target excluding IP payments.

The cross-platform demand for BES 12 was better, but it did not
    show up in the results. BB cited iOS and Android user conversions
    were the best in the financial (Royal Bank of Scotland) and
    healthcare (Trillium Healthcare) sectors. The plan calls
    for software to ramp in the H2/F16 based on take up for a secure EDM platform
    for email, chat, voice, calendar, apps for the enterprise.

What's Changed

We continue to rate BBRY SU with a $6.25 target, on a sum-of-the-parts valuation,
    applying a 0.7x multiple to devices and services,
    2.9x for software sales (equal to Mobile Iron) and cash =
    $6.35/share.

Price Target Calculation

We rate Blackberry (BBRY–NASDAQ) Sector Underperformer with a price target
    of $6.25.
    We value BBRY based on segmented valuation and book value. Both
    equate to ~$6.50 per share.
    Our segmented value approach values BBRY at $6.35.
    Blackberry’s last reported book value was $6.63 assuming 529.5 million
    shares outstanding.

A revision to our current view would be positive data points supporting
    Blackberry’s new focus on the enterprise including examples of companies
    paying for its mobile device management of Blackberry, iOS and Androids,
    mobile security and more broadly the M2M market.

We need to see a viable path to a stabilization of service revenue. Our view is it
    will take time and clear evidence that this has happened to bring back a broader
    group of investors, other than very deep value investors, to Blackberry.

Key Risks To Price Target

Subscribers And/Or Shipments Move Up With Proposed Changes
    To Business Strategy: Our expectations are that subscribers continue to decline
    at roughly 15% a quarter. If this decline accelerates, this could be a risk to our
    target.

Buyers Arise: While we do not believe a sale is likely at this point, if a buyer
    were to show interest we would return to our sum-of-the-parts analysis. This
    would yield a price higher than our price target and is a risk to our Sector
    Underperformer thesis.

Last edited by BACK-2-BLACK; 06-24-15 at 10:07 PM.
    kadakn01, bungaboy, rarsen and 7 others like this.
    06-24-15 09:32 PM
    From Russia with love

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-blackberryrussia-blackberry-dlya-studentov-02.jpg

A Passport toting Russian university student is interviewed. You'll need to translate:

BlackBerry ??? ?????????
    sidhuk, bungaboy, 3MIKE and 4 others like this.
    06-24-15 10:54 PM
    Do you read what is written in this thread? Software not working?

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, Mr BBRY and zyben like this.
    06-25-15 01:32 AM
    Say we would be that much arrogant, then we might try to discuss with him how he could make some people aware that... he promotes software before he can sell hardware... uh, no. He knows already, and would probably tell 'I'm not authorized by my guys to comment about these people.' lol

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 02:21 AM
    Here is the Todd Coupland, Robert Manson-Hing CIBC report:

We need to see a viable path to a stabilization of service revenue. Our view is it
    will take time and clear evidence that this has happened to bring back a broader
    group of investors, other than very deep value investors, to Blackberry.
    Coupland says "We need to see a viable path to a stabilization of service revenue." That one statement tells me this guy doesn't understand the company he's opining on. Service revenue is supposed to go only one way. DOWN. Down to Zero! It is not supposed to stabilize or go up. If it stabilizes or goes up then BlackBerry is in trouble because BBOS is sticking around too long hampering BlackBerry's ability to grow and modernize their offerings.

The real question he is supposed to ask is "is BlackBerry going to be able to replace Service revenue (the SAF) with new service revenue or with other revenue so they become profitable?" The signs are pointing in the right direction. He just isn't looking.

Or did I just read his thesis wrong?

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 02:53 AM
    @ BanffMoose
    He also said "It is too early to determine if its plan (software for service) can be successful..."
    It looks he is aware that services have to go completely at one point. But he thinks it's declining faster than expected and software might not be able to compensate it fast enough.

I disagree with this view, because we see the adoption of BES12 is accelerating. And a win of big name customers from competitiors is more than advertising can do. It's a signal for possible customers who are still on the fence to switch to BB.
    06-25-15 03:39 AM
    Sorry I see it as

BlackBerry/QNX = IoE or IoT
    BlackBerry + Cisco = IoE/IoT + Marketing = HUGE recognition & perpetual revenue.
    As for the Mackenzie health phase 2 (Cisco inside) : http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3...l#post11742052 (thx Corbu !)

IohT (Internet of health things) !
    Let's get vertical !
    06-25-15 04:37 AM
    Not sure of the exact figures (correct me pls)

Good customers : 8,500 +
    MOBL customers : 6.500 +
    So, we're talking about 15,000 customers.

BES12 adoption this quarter alone = 2,600 customers. Say half is new.
    So, in one quarter, BES12 acquisition steals +/- 8.5% of these competitors all times customers ?
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-1078.jpg
    I can feel their pain and can't wait BES12 Cloud to be fully operational (my take: most = this summer / 100% compliant = late 2015)

(asking again) Is that related ?
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png

... and dreaming out loud : Buy them, John !
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-ob_8a37a6_tumblr-m4lskc1l7q1rqa07ko2-500.gif
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 06-25-15 at 05:08 AM.
    06-25-15 04:53 AM
    BES12 adoption this quarter alone = 2,600 customers. Say half is new.
    We don't have to guess:

Steven Li - Raymond James
    Okay, that helps. And John just for a clarification, the 2,600 customer wins, so are these predominantly 2,600 EZ Pass customers that are now paying customers?

John Chen - Chief Executive Officer
    No. I would say, from [what I’m] [ph] glancing, because I know you guys are going to ask this question. So when I glance at the whole list, by the way it's really hard to glance through 2600 names, but we have a printout of that. I would say half-and-half. I would say maybe 60:40. 60% based on the EZ Pass convert and 40% are brand new customers.
    Superfly_FR, Corbu and Mr BBRY like this.
    06-25-15 06:12 AM
    BlackBerry Announces Common Share Purchase Program

WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - June 25, 2015) - BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB), a world leader in mobile communications, today provided an update on its planned share repurchase program to purchase for cancellation up to 12 million BlackBerry common shares, or approximately 2.5% of the outstanding public float. BlackBerry can purchase the common shares over the Nasdaq Stock Market or, subject to regulatory approval, on the Toronto Stock Exchange (the "TSX") or alternative Canadian trading platforms. As of June 22, 2015, BlackBerry had 529,487,374 common shares outstanding, the public float was 464,726,304 common shares and the average daily trading volume for the 6 months prior to May 31, 2015 was 2,314,477. BlackBerry has filed a notice of intention to commence a normal course issuer bid with the TSX. Daily purchases will be limited to 578,619 common shares, other than block purchases. The purchases may commence on June 29, 2015 and will terminate on June 28, 2016 or on such earlier date as BlackBerry may complete its purchases pursuant to the notice of intention. In the past 12 months, BlackBerry has not repurchased any of its outstanding securities.

On June 23, 2015, the shareholders of BlackBerry approved a new employee share purchase plan and an increase in the number of shares available under BlackBerry's equity incentive plan. "As we've previously indicated, the purpose of this repurchase program is to offset dilution from our new employee share purchase plan and amended equity incentive plan," said BlackBerry Executive Chairman and CEO, John Chen. "We intend to take advantage of our strong cash position to purchase our shares when the market price does not reflect what we view to be the underlying value and future prospects of our business, without adversely affecting our strategic initiatives," added Mr. Chen.

The price that BlackBerry will pay for any shares under the share repurchase program will be the prevailing market price at the time of purchase. The share repurchase program will be effected in accordance with Rule 10b-18 under the U.S. Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and the TSX's normal course issuer bid rules, which contain restrictions on the number of shares that may be purchased on a single day, subject to certain exceptions for block purchases, based on the average daily trading volumes of BlackBerry's shares on the applicable exchange. In addition, subject to TSX approval, BlackBerry may enter into forward purchase or swap contracts in connection with common shares which may be settled by physical settlement, cash settlement or a combination thereof. The forward price will be based on market price, dividend yield and market interest rates.

The actual number of shares to be purchased and the timing and pricing of any purchases under the share repurchase program will depend on future market conditions and upon potential alternative uses for cash resources. There is no assurance that any shares will be purchased under the share repurchase program and BlackBerry may elect to modify, suspend or discontinue the program at any time without prior notice.
    jxnb, bungaboy, georg4BB and 13 others like this.
    06-25-15 06:26 AM
    12 million shares at the current price is around $108M. If they keep generating cash like in the last few quarters, they can buy back 12 million shares every quarter!

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 07:17 AM
    To ask a stupid question: Will BB only purchase on dips or will they trade their own shares, by selling if the price is high (is this even allowed?)
    06-25-15 07:19 AM
    Awesome posts gang!
    Been busy with new students and postdocs, so haven't posted much.
    I am happy with this ER. We are in a better position than we were when this thread first started. We now have a solid OS, phones that are uniquely BlackBerry, BES12 gaining traction, and ioT stuff that were vaguely mentioned are now materialized.
    All the negative stuff pointed out by analysts we already knew years ago. For example we knew that SAF was going to zero, BES will take some time to catch on, and BB10 will take time for the public to learn, so nothing new here.
    There are a few positives that we did know back then, including the awareness of security, smart cars, and smart devices, which are spaces that BlackBerry basically owns, and patent licensing is a bonus.
    So, I am more confident about my investments than when I bought the first batch of BlackBerry shares.
    Thanks for all the great posts.
    Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 07:37 AM
    Not sure of the exact figures (correct me pls)

Good customers : 8,500 +
    MOBL customers : 6.500 +
    So, we're talking about 15,000 customers.
    Excellent point, Superfly_FR.

Just for the record, from:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3...l#post11742055

He points out that competitors MobileIron and Good have a total of 8500 and 6200 enterprise customers, respectively.
    I believe AirWatch has another 15,000+ customers as well. Plus all the other players out there...
    06-25-15 07:55 AM
    Great posts gang!

SAF, if I'm correct in my calculations the amount of the fees should be at 32.057739534375 % left on the table( using an average of 15% per quarter). John Chen has been around for 6 quarters and SAF started with old leader. So 7 quarters sounds good for the calculations. Why would a analyst use these SAF as an excuse for bearish notes, 32% and a decline of 15% starts to look like a penny in a jar. It becomes only 4.8?????% decline for next quarter. These SAF can take a long time to get off the books. But at this stage in the game they become less relevant to BlackBerry bottom line.

I'm not going to cry when BlackBerry bank account grows by 50 million and plus the company they purchased. Isn't that what they cried so much about, cash burn. BlackBerry has roughly 5000 wins in BES last two quarters, that is almost half of what Good and Mobl have combined together. I will let accounting matters remain with accounting because they are numbers after all. I would like to thank every contributions made to this thread, your post give me insight and laughter at times.
    06-25-15 08:31 AM
    We haven't discussed it much here, but I think it's important not to lose sight of the fact that 10 minutes after approving the share repurchase, they then approved the issuance of 8 million new shares to use as executive compensation.

I am guessing that these new shares will be issued and extended with provisions that the executives so compensated, wait a certain period of time before they are allowed to trade the shares.

With BlackBerry able to buy the shares starting now (if they so choose, and why wouldn't they), and the compensated execs time barred some, it will remove shares from the table for a decent period, but, 8 million shares come back to the market at some point (hopefully just after the $100 party).
    06-25-15 09:08 AM
    Just doubled down on my BBRY calls. (OT -Also just bought some YANG)

A couple of thoughts related to recent events.

1) The Cisco deal is more important than Wall Street is letting on. Cisco is building some major new R&D facilities in Ontario ($4+B and 1500+ new employees), and I think much of it is focused on IOT. There are big potential synergies between BlackBerry and Cisco, and they will both end up having lots of crossover with facilities and projects in Ottawa, Toronto, and Waterloo. A good chunk of the Cisco hires will likely be new graduates or ex-BB employees. And now they've got the IP deal to boot - Cisco is probably interested most in integration with QNX and the security side...

2) The share buyback will start on Monday, and it seems it will be done entirely via the Toronto listed shares. This may be the start of an effort to shift volume over to Toronto and away from Wall Street. Fairfax did this after it got attacked many years ago, and now it doesn't even list in the US. Interesting. If you have a choice, you should probably follow their lead and trade BB.TO rather than BBRY. The options are a bit thin here though for my liking, so I'm still using BBRY for that aspect.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 09:11 AM
    2) The share buyback will start on Monday, and it seems it will be done entirely via the Toronto listed shares. This may be the start of an effort to shift volume over to Toronto and away from Wall Street. Fairfax did this after it got attacked many years ago, and now it doesn't even list in the US. Interesting. If you have a choice, you should probably follow their lead and trade BB.TO rather than BBRY. The options are a bit thin here though for my liking, so I'm still using BBRY for that aspect.
    Sorry for this question as I think it was asked before. If BlackBerry decides to delist from the NASDAQ, what happens to the BBRY stock? I assume it would get converted to BB.TO shares given some conversion formula?

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 09:22 AM
113,256 ... 34323433343434353436 ...