View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Bloomberg is advising Chen will be on at 12:15 today.
    Timezone please? I'm in est and even 1hr ago your post to me would be 1:31PM. Relevance.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 01:31 PM
    "OUR VALUE PROPOSITION"
    "We deliver the most secure end-to-end mobility solutions to connect you the 'things' and people you need"

If they are really planning to ditch BB10 in favour of Android Knox then they should have written "We deliver the second most secure end-to-end mobility..." LOL.
    For me this is a hint that they stick with BB10 as the gold standard of end-to-end security. Doesn't mean they are not preparing an entry level Android for some markets, as rumored. But I'm sure the next flagship device - the Slider - is still BB10. And it will most likely sell better than the Passport. I'm sure we will see an uptick of device sales at the end of the calendar year, when the Slider is out.
    morganplus8, Corbu, zyben and 5 others like this.
    06-23-15 01:37 PM
    Great interview with Chen. Seems very reasonable. If the stock price keeps slogging along like this while the company generates free cash flow, well something has to give eventually.
    morganplus8, Corbu, zyben and 5 others like this.
    06-23-15 01:39 PM
    Timezone please? I'm in est and even 1hr ago your post to me would be 1:31PM. Relevance.

Posted via CB10
    EDT - Corbu posted the interview
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    06-23-15 01:40 PM
    Is it my imagination but did Chen seem hesitant and less confident than in earlier quarters?

Posted via CB10
    I didn't think so.

Keep in mind that for the short term BBRY is a buyer of the its own stock. It might very well not want a huge stock price jump for the next couple of quarters.
    06-23-15 01:40 PM
    JC on CNBC
    Posted on CB main page, but FTR, here...

On the matter of the Android device, notably.

Blackberry's two advantages: Chen

John Chen, Blackberry CEO, discusses the Blackberry advantage and gives insight to the business moving forward.
    http://crackberry.com/chen-not-again...make-it-secure
    06-23-15 01:47 PM
    I typed out a long response and lost the message to a I.E. refresh darn it!

I'll try again, there are two camps when it comes to the art of investing, those who research, due their homework and understand numbers, the product and value. Then there are those who don't care about any of those important issues aside from a takeover possibility.

We fall into the first camp, we do our research, we protect ourselves with some TA, we know the product very well and we try to time our investments and stick to our thesis. Traders plan ahead, they need to understand how much money will it take to stop a rally, they need to garner followers who will join them on TA weakness, and their intellectual impact is limited to the laws that John Chen must live by. With this knowledge, they build a position in a stock, wait for the news, let the retail buyers run the stock up, (i.e. PM buyers) and then they feed stock to them until they run out of buying power. Long term investors don't arrive at the scene on earnings day, their analysts do though. Those analysts review the webcast, crunch the data, tell their bosses what's up, then in turn, they start informing their client base of Funds and Retail. Their investment in the trade comes much later and traders know this. That is why traders take control of the stock like today, hold it down until the volume drops to a level that ends the value of that trade. If you watch Level II on your screen, you will see a change in the way the trades are taking place. Soon, there will be this rally of sorts, you know nothing new was said, none of the analysts have really come out in favour of the stock, but the stock begins to back off and rally. The traders can buy back shares on the way up as they have been net sellers to the retail market during the PM.

The last thing they want to do is take the stock too low and cause a key reversal in the trade, so they follow the TA just like we do. So far, they have killed the rally, stopped the positive vibe of the news and reined in the optimism of the honest investor. What chance is there that BBRY can see $ 11.00 again? They killed that rally in its tracks and now have some profits and a stock intact for another trade. The problem with all of this is that it eventually fails, stock ends up in strong hands and they get squeezed just like HALO is undergoing today. HALO represents where you want BBRY to be sometime in the future, it is coming, but for now, we aren't there because of the law, the size of the common stock float and the media.
    Morgan well written and explained! No one is selling at these current prices, it's tried up. They are waiting for the remaining fish to bite.

Thanks

Cheers and get some rest!
    Corbu, Mr BBRY, bungaboy and 4 others like this.
    06-23-15 02:11 PM
    That's understood users don't care about security but your company doesn't care about security? That's a dream for corporate espionage looking into leaking IP and company info. There's a reason why your mobile and security groups went with the Q10s.

I'm personally using a Q10 and finding it a way better experience than my dust collecting iPhone. This point is moot as it's subjective.

If my company tells me to use a certain phone to meet their mandatory enterprise requirements, I sure as hell don't want any leaks/breaches traced back to me even if it's my fault or not. Main source of business communications for me is email, BBM, voice calls and file management. BB does this very well on the UI front, reliable and fast as it is secure. I can't afford (and neither do our personnel) for inaccurate and inefficient messaging and sorry to say - other platforms/phones have failed for me no matter how hard I've tried to use them.

The users will never care about security, as does my company until some breaches occur. We are using the most basic Ms exchange activesync server and we are provided with a q10 for work. My colleagues now even found out a way to access corporate email using the outlook app on iPhone and they say the experience is much better than using q10. They don't bring the q10 anymore.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 02:14 PM
    Under sell and over deliver. That's John Chen's MO. They are setting the ground work and value added offerings and services to roll-out and scale up.

As for your iPhone crew, ask them how their productivity and security is going. I feel less safer using Apple OSX and iOS these days with the 0-day bugs.

Posted via CB10
    Well, they haven't over delivered...not yet anyway. I'm just happy to see that things weren't all that bad.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 02:16 PM
    That interview makes things clear.

The $100 million revenue target for BBM: missed.
    The $500 million revenue target for BES: missed.
    The licencing revenue is not recurring, but there are chances of getting other deals in the near future.

Chen redefined the $500 million goal as software AND IP deals.

In other words, things aren't going well, the plan failed.
    You gave him 1 quarter to earn the targeted revenue he said they would earn in the entire fiscal year? Wasn't the goal $500M of software revenue, not just BES?

Aren't IP deals software related? With a company like Cisco, I doubt it would be hardware related.

I don't think the fail here is with Chen's plan. At least, not yet.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 02:18 PM
    Is it my imagination but did Chen seem hesitant and less confident than in earlier quarters?

Posted via CB10
    Seemed much more optimistic than i've seen him in the last CC. He is getting money for IP, he is seeing BES12 gain, he's happy. He was peeved about some of the questions like can you tell me if software is negative Q/Q for NA and only BES12 portion of it.
    06-23-15 02:19 PM
    Exactly. Steadily buying back at lower prices allows them to have better control of their SP.

Chen is telling the story the proper way to ensure steady growth and good bottom lines as the marathon goes in this turnaround. We've seen BlackBerry fall when execution and strategy faulters. I'd abandon ship if John Chen wasn't competent to do so but he has proven otherwise.

I didn't think so.

Keep in mind that for the short term BBRY is a buyer of the its own stock. It might very well not want a huge stock price jump for the next couple of quarters.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-23-15 02:19 PM

The licencing revenue is not recurring, but there are chances of getting other deals in the near future.

What are you smoking? Those targets are for next year lol

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 02:20 PM
    That's pure rumor and speculations, from John Chen mouth in regards to Android.
    georg4BB likes this.
    06-23-15 02:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    I have some people put on my ignore list years ago for a reason and still they are on it.

By. BlackBerry Passport User
    06-23-15 02:31 PM
    The criminals are to funny with their fake volume of buying and selling with themselves. They pin it at or near lows with hopes of continuing the selling tomorrow with weak hands. These shysters make me sick. I only wish I would of followed my gut in PM and sold knowing the shysters would work overtime to knock it down. If only the numbers didn't look so good I would have a reason to sell. In the land of the imprisoned and unfree I should of expect this.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    06-23-15 02:53 PM
    And I wore some brown shoes today. I don't know why

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150623_151443.jpg

By. BlackBerry Passport User
    06-23-15 03:15 PM

actually..... your post failed...

and for that, you and your "like" friend get:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-5d57qh.jpg
    Last edited by BACK-2-BLACK; 06-23-15 at 03:38 PM.
    06-23-15 03:27 PM

Posted via CB10

In that video Chen says they won't get the $100 million from BBM in FY16, and he changed the $500 million target to software + patents revenue. Software revenue alone won't do it.
    BNN - Watch TV Online | Blackberry CEO to BNN: Software on track but BBM outlook may be cut

In this second video Chen says BES revenue grew 2x% YoY, and other software revenue (QNX) grew 30%. Lets assume a 26% growth for all the Software division, from $54 million same quarter last year, that's $68 million of Software revenue this quarter.
    John Chen not against building an Android device, provided he can make it secure | CrackBerry.com

Strong BES and BBM growth was supposed to compensate the SAF decline, but Software is not growing as fast as expected, that's why Chen abandoned his original targets, so that plan is not working. The need something else, and the patent deal they signed is not recurring, so It's not the answer.
    SAF fell 16%, a bit faster than expected. On the bright side, Hardware is stable, better than expected.
    sentimentGX4 and techvisor like this.
    06-23-15 03:34 PM
    06-23-15 03:49 PM
    BlackBerry Q1 FY16 Highlights: 150% Software Sales and Licensing Growth, Cisco and Intel Deals, and More | Inside BlackBerry

BlackBerry continued its transformation into an enterprise solutions provider, as software sales – powered by increased customer wins – grew year-over-year for a second straight quarter.

BlackBerry won 2,600 enterprise customers in the quarter, including many wins versus rival mobile management providers. The 2,600 customers is up significantly from the 2,200 wins three months earlier, which CEO John Chen called “rather solid” growth during the Q1 FY16 earnings call on Tuesday. And it contributed strongly to our total Q1 revenue from software and technology licensing sales of $137 million, a year-over-year growth of 150%. BlackBerry’s cash reserve now totals $3.32 billion, up 22% from $2.7 billion a year ago.

Customers in regulated industries such as healthcare and financial services abounded. In healthcare, they included Grand River Hospital, CarePartners, Chatham-Kent Health Alliance, Extendicare, Trillium Health Partners, and others.

In financial services, customer wins included ATB Financial, Blackstone, Broadridge, Waha Capital, Mcube Financial, Unit Credit (Russia), Farmers and Merchants Bank, Financial Technologies Group (India), Dragon Capital (Vietnam) and the Royal Bank of Scotland.

Going Cross-Platform

Royal Bank of Scotland is replacing rival software from Mobile Iron and making our BES enterprise mobility management (EMM) software its corporate-wide, cross-platform standard, including for all its BYOD phones running iOS, Android and BlackBerry, said Chen.

Indeed, 45% of new enterprise customers are using our software for cross-platform purposes. Coming cross-platform offerings include the BES12 Android for Work edition, which separates work and business data on Android devices, as well as an upgrade to BBM Protected that brings even stronger, easier-to-use secure communications.

Other enterprise wins in the quarter included NCR (technology), Clifford Chance (UK-based multinational law firm), Magna (leading auto parts supplier), and Japanese telecom conglomerate NTT Docomo, courtesy of recent acquisition, document security provider, WatchDox.

About 60% of the enterprise customer wins came from our EZ-Pass marketing program, said Chen.

Debut of Technology Licensing

Technology licensing is a new and growing aspect of BlackBerry’s business. BlackBerry announced a long-term patent cross-licensing deal with Cisco Systems. The deal, one of the outgrowths of BlackBerry’s vaunted patent portfolio, will result in a license fee paid by Cisco to BlackBerry.

CEO John Chen also noted a second licensing deal during the quarter with a “major technology provider” that for contract reasons he was unable to name.

Meanwhile, Intel is licensing our QNX platform for its next-generation connected car efforts. QNX is the most popular connected car platform today, with 60 million cars on the road today relying on QNX, said Chen.

Besides the Cisco and Intel deals, other wins from BlackBerry’s BTS Division (BlackBerry Technology Solutions) include the licensing of our Certicom encrypted certificates to manage 104 million smart power meters in the UK, and the licensing of Paratek antenna technology to ON Semiconductor.

BlackBerry is also winning friends and partners. 120 partners around the globe are now reselling BlackBerry’s software and services. New enterprise resellers include Rogers, Bell, Orange, Celcom and Maxis (both in Malaysia), and PT XL in Indonesia.

And 5 universities are working with BlackBerry on its Center for High Assurance Computing Excellence (CHACE), including the University of California San Francisco and Santa Barbara campuses, University of Oxford, University of Waterloo, and Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.
    Thought it was worthwhile copying this one here.
    06-23-15 03:54 PM
    Awwwe Yeah!

Beautiful Day, not to hit definitely not cold,
    Sun shining bright,
    Excellent quarterly report,
    Crappy day no hot water no shower didn't get to work (not ever going stinky),
    And on subway home from much needed errands... and I hear THAT sound,

Line a familiar old friend saying high a friend you can trust count on share things real and open with....

That DING sound unique to the BBM alert... and not coming from my phone, nope from another Black Brother using a Black Berry (BlackBerry) 2 seats over

Yeah THAT sound.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE, Superfly_FR and zyben like this.
    06-23-15 03:58 PM
    In that video Chen says they won't get the $100 million from BBM in FY16, and he changed the $500 million target to software + patents revenue. Software revenue alone won't do it.
    BNN - Watch TV Online | Blackberry CEO to BNN: Software on track but BBM outlook may be cut

In this second video Chen says BES revenue grew 2x% YoY, and other software revenue (QNX) grew 30%. Lets assume a 26% growth for all the Software division, from $54 million same quarter last year, that's $68 million of Software revenue this quarter.
    John Chen not against building an Android device, provided he can make it secure | CrackBerry.com

Strong BES and BBM growth was supposed to compensate the SAF decline, but Software is not growing as fast as expected, that's why Chen abandoned his original targets, so that plan is not working. The need something else, and the patent deal they signed is not recurring, so It's not the answer.
    SAF fell 16%, a bit faster than expected. On the bright side, Hardware is stable, better than expected.
    1. Chen decided to lump IP with software to ensure the confidentiality of the IP deals this quarter.
    2. The deals they signed are likely to have a recurring element.
    3. Primary takeaway from the call is that they will hit $500M this year. The key quote from the call as follows:

"I would take a look at that. I think it's obviously quite, to be safe, it's quite back-end loaded. Right. Just to be safe. As we build up our software team, we have a number of training programs going on all the same time. The carriers coming online. I mean I feel the direction and the momentum and so I will model it a little bit more slope going up type thing, not flat."

Translation - quarterly software revenue will continue to grow from this level (and yes IP is included).

Chen is an understated guy. There is a very real possibility that he hits $600M in software this year. Several breakout products/opportunities also exist.
    06-23-15 04:21 PM
    1. Chen decided to lump IP with software to ensure the confidentiality of the IP deals this quarter.
    2. The deals they signed are likely to have a recurring element.
    3. Primary takeaway from the call is that they will hit $500M this year. The key quote from the call as follows:

"I would take a look at that. I think it's obviously quite, to be safe, it's quite back-end loaded. Right. Just to be safe. As we build up our software team, we have a number of training programs going on all the same time. The carriers coming online. I mean I feel the direction and the momentum and so I will model it a little bit more slope going up type thing, not flat."

Translation - quarterly software revenue will continue to grow from this level (and yes IP is included).

Chen is an understated guy. There is a very real possibility that he hits $600M in software this year. Several breakout products/opportunities also exist.
    This I'd what I heard and took away as well. And he had bbm at 100M and said it's underperforming. So if it underperforms 50% that is still 50M. Everything is fine. Even hardware wasn't too bad although expect a dip there this next Q.

$8.80?

I might need to get an investment loan....I can't believe this isn't near 10.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, zyben, rarsen and 5 others like this.
    06-23-15 04:39 PM
    I think Maynard Um from Well's Fargo sums it up best:

"Excluding the IP licensing revenue, which we believe the Street and investors did not anticipate, the quarter was below general expectations."

Given the breadth of opportunities provided by BBRY's IP, and a team that is now dedicated to software and extracting value from this side of the business, there will be many revenue streams in the future that the Street and investors do not yet anticipate.
    spike12, zyben, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    06-23-15 04:50 PM
113,256 ... 34273428342934303431 ...