View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    BNN - Watch TV Online | BlackBerry wakes up the bulls

With Doug Pollitt, who is generally pretty fair.

Excellent interview, if you ask me.

Excellent indeed
    06-23-15 11:40 AM
    06-23-15 11:48 AM
    JC:
    Marketing.
    Bring the awareness up. Probably starting this Q. Focusing on growth.
    Marketing is different from advertising.
    We find the best bang for the buck is marketing banners and advertising on the Internet.
    How do we get the message out? Used to be about the products. Now, the approach is focused on how the customers are using our technology.
    Really not sure about that one, Chen, but I'll wait and see. Getting 'bang for the buck' isn't quite the same thing as reaching a significant audience and connecting with them. Online banners tend to hit people who are already looking for you in the first place. Anyway, at least he's mentioning it. I look forward to seeing how it goes over the next little while.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 11:49 AM
    So happy that my prediction (of not hitting $500MM revenue) turned out to be WRONG!!!!!
    06-23-15 11:50 AM
    Not surprised at all. BBM subscription prices seem like money grabs instead (over priced, monthly) so I never expected consumers to buy stuff on BBM. Specially, with a userbase this small. If they had a user base 5x and everyone had all of their friends on BBM, then users could be tempted to pay for subscription but even then something like $1.99/year, not per month.

JC:
    Marketing.
    Bring the awareness up. Probably starting this Q. Focusing on growth.
    Marketing is different from advertising.
    We find the best bang for the buck is marketing banners and advertising on the Internet.
    How do we get the message out? Used to be about the products. Now, the approach is focused on how the customers are using our technology.
    I think when Slider is released - BB will get a lot of free marketing. Recall when originally BB10 was released under Heins, there was a LOT of hype but then 10.0 release of BB10 OS was lacking in many areas (apps, legacy features and so on). By the time OS matured, all hype had disappeared and it had been replaced with just negativity, half-truths and often plain lies about the product.

I think we'll see build-up of similar if not more hype for Slider (with Android OS + BB Skin) and this time they won't disappoint. Android is already a mature OS. So, lot of FREE positive press.

Personally, I can live with Android OS if I get "Hub", "BBM" and BlackBerry's hardware keyboard. Slider with Android will satisfy me greatly. Hub is the single most important app for me. If it weren't for Hub, I'd probably have switched a long time ago. But instead of switching, I carry two devices (thankfully, one is given to me and paid for by work so I don't have to pay two bills).
    anon(4086547) likes this.
    06-23-15 12:08 PM
    THIS my friends is the beginning of a tide change! Financial institutions are no longer seeing red and hate filled hearts. Quite considerably from Canadian Banks!!

Stock purchase time, thank you apple for the increased stock gains. I fully practice The Art of War - keep your friends close your enemies closer along with his celebrate in your enemies success! I celebrate the gains there to continue to offset stock purchase and transaction costs!!

I'm going long 12mths now.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-23-15 12:11 PM
    BlackBerry Falls as Handset Sales Slump, CEO Says Not for Sale - Bloomberg Business

BlackBerry Ltd. slipped as much as 4.2 percent after posting a wider-than-anticipated quarterly loss and handsets shipments at the lowest since 2007 even as the new keyboard-equipped Classic phone went on sale.

Although BlackBerry’s renewed focus on software is beginning to take hold, the company still has a long way before businesses like security-focused software make up for the slump in smartphone sales.

Software revenue jumped 153 percent to $137 million in the period ended May 30, initially sending the shares up as much as 11 percent in early trading. The stock then reversed to a drop, as analysts asked for details on software revenue growth excluding acquisitions and intellectual-property licensing during a conference call. Adding to investors’ jitteriness, Chief Executive Officer John Chen told shareholders at the annual meeting that the company isn’t for sale “at this price.”

“There was some initial excitement over the software number but that proved to not have reflected the core business,” said Colin Gillis, an analyst at BGC Financial LP.

The shares fell 3.8 percent to $8.85 at 12:42 p.m. New York time. They had declined 16 percent this year through Monday, while the Nasdaq composite Index gained 8.8 percent.

Chen’s goal to reach $500 million in software revenue by March 2016 is key to his turnaround effort. The company has bought three security-focused software companies since July to help reduce its reliance on handsets.

“It’s just safe to say I’m satisfied with the ability in the IP pipeline this fiscal year that will help us reach our 500 million target,” Chen said about his software goal during the call.

When asked whether he would consider a sale at the company’s meeting later in the day, Chen answered: “Oh no. no no no no, not at this price.”

Smartphone revenue fell to about $263 million from $379 million a year earlier.

BlackBerry, which used to dominate the world of mobile business, has seen its share of the global smartphone market slip to less than 1 percent after rivals like Apple Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co. came in. The Canadian company has since narrowed the target audience for its phones to financial professionals and government workers who demand a rigorous level of security.

In addition to an existing partnership with Foxconn Technology Group, BlackBerry entered into joint development and manufacturing agreements with Wistron Corp. and Compal Electronics Inc. to help reduce costs to make devices.

The first-quarter loss excluding certain items narrowed to 5 cents a share from 11 cents a year earlier, the company said Tuesday in a statement. Analysts predicted a loss of 4 cents, the average of analysts’ estimates compiled by Bloomberg.
    06-23-15 12:13 PM
    And the haters keep on hating......

BlackBerry posts another loss, but investors appear optimistic #CTVNews
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/black...stic-1.2435595

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 12:17 PM
    I think we'll see build-up of similar if not more hype for Slider (with Android OS + BB Skin) and this time they won't disappoint. Android is already a mature OS.
    Did he say today that the Slider will ship with Android or is it just you still sticking with the rumor?
    06-23-15 12:17 PM
    JC on Bloomberg:
    BlackBerry Will Get Phone Business Back On Track: CEO - Bloomberg Business

John Chen, chief executive officer of BlackBerry Ltd., talks about the company's acquisition strategy, software business and handset sales. He speaks with Emily Chang on Bloomberg Television's "Bloomberg Markets." (Source: Bloomberg)
    06-23-15 12:20 PM
    Nevermind, Corbu beat me (nothing new )
    CDM76 likes this.
    06-23-15 12:25 PM
    Just want to make it clear, does the fy16 usd500m software target include IP licensing fees or not? Thanks

Posted via CB10
    This may be talked by Morgan earlier. If the IP licensing fees are recurring and were originally counted as part of the usd500m software target, who f* cares about the breakdown? A higher portion of IP licensing fees is even better given that the margin is almost 100%.

But John Chen should really talk more about greater Qnx usage in auto (OTA updates) and Nanthealth. He is really not a good storyteller.

I am really really disappointed by the share price movement so far, esp when it was actually up 10% PM. Why we BBRY shareholders could only be happy for just one hr and have to worry about the share price again? I just hope the share price can come back to green at EOD, otherwise I just don't know how to face my iPhone fanboy bosses and colleagues tomorrow (I am working in Hong kong). I am really tired of defending all the time. Please please....

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 12:27 PM
    I can believe they brought it down to 8.80....i can't believe how long they have kept it there with this volume.

Morgan, can you explain how you see this as 'short covering'? Did you mean the PM trades up to $10 were short covering? that wasn't a lot of volume.
    06-23-15 12:31 PM
    "I think when the new design comes out we will have an opportunity to build the business back up"
    06-23-15 12:31 PM
    Did he say today that the Slider will ship with Android or is it just you still sticking with the rumor?
    He was asked on Bloomberg about Android, his response was "if I can make it secure I will"
    Mr BBRY, zyben and georg4BB like this.
    06-23-15 12:32 PM
    I know we all want the stock price to jump, however, for the stock buy back the lower stock price is a positive for the company.

The deal with Cisco the analysts are asking if it is a one time deal or ongoing income. The deal closed prior to FY16Q1 did it not? So it would have no impact on the ER. So what is the logic for them doing so?

Tim Smith from my Z10 on Rogers
    Last edited by TimJohnSmith; 06-23-15 at 11:30 PM.
    06-23-15 12:42 PM
    Thanks for all the contributors to this thread. Your research, knowledge and insight really appreciated. The #'s today were great for John Chen's strategy into more software. There are some unrealized potential that will play out with the partnerships (such as the recent Cisco one) and snagging RBS away from a competitor in the MDM space. With all of the security and privacy breach announcements, companies and governments have to wonder if going BB10 all in is the better value proposition. I'm already seeing a huge uptick in BB10 Classic devices at my company as they are replacing older handsets. People are loving the BB10 experience. For organizations wanting to have the option of other platforms, BlackBerry with BES12 is at the table. Also, a buddy of mine mentioned at his company, they are already using BES12 in a BYOD environment. BlackBerry makes money either way. The story is very good right now and he is set to have a strong finish in Q3 and Q4.

I wasn't going to get in on the dip but the TA prompted me to get in to support at current SP. BlackBerry will be having more announcements to finish the second half and I'm holding out to get the new slider as a Xmas gift to myself

Cheers all.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 12:49 PM
    Sticking with the rumor. In my head, it's a done deal and not a rumor. But you are right, unless we get official word from BB, I should be mindful of stating it as if it is a fact.
    georg4BB likes this.
    06-23-15 12:53 PM
    JC with Amber:
    BNN - Watch TV Online | BlackBerry CEO to BNN: Software revenue is growing and sustainable

Tue, Jun 23, 2015 - 12:30 PM
    Is BlackBerry Ltd. still a smartphone company? Speaking to BNN’s Amber Kanwar from BlackBerry’s corporate headquarters in Waterloo, ON, chief executive John Chen highlighted a long-term patent licensing deal with Cisco Systems and noted the company added 400 new clients to its mobile enterprise software business. He also made his case for keeping the lagging hardware business – at least for now.
    Must see.
    06-23-15 12:56 PM
    Under sell and over deliver. That's John Chen's MO. They are setting the ground work and value added offerings and services to roll-out and scale up.

As for your iPhone crew, ask them how their productivity and security is going. I feel less safer using Apple OSX and iOS these days with the 0-day bugs.

This may be talked by Morgan earlier. If the IP licensing fees are recurring and were originally counted as part of the usd500m software target, who f* cares about the breakdown? A higher portion of IP licensing fees is even better given that the margin is almost 100%.

But John Chen should really talk more about greater Qnx usage in auto (OTA updates) and Nanthealth. He is really not a good storyteller.

I am really really disappointed by the share price movement so far, esp when it was actually up 10% PM. Why we BBRY shareholders could only be happy for just one hr and have to worry about the share price again? I just hope the share price can come back to green at EOD, otherwise I just don't know how to face my iPhone fanboy bosses and colleagues tomorrow (I am working in Hong kong). I am really tired of defending all the time. Please please....

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, Mr BBRY and zyben like this.
    06-23-15 12:58 PM
    I can believe they brought it down to 8.80....i can't believe how long they have kept it there with this volume.

Morgan, can you explain how you see this as 'short covering'? Did you mean the PM trades up to $10 were short covering? that wasn't a lot of volume.
    I typed out a long response and lost the message to a I.E. refresh darn it!

I'll try again, there are two camps when it comes to the art of investing, those who research, due their homework and understand numbers, the product and value. Then there are those who don't care about any of those important issues aside from a takeover possibility.

We fall into the first camp, we do our research, we protect ourselves with some TA, we know the product very well and we try to time our investments and stick to our thesis. Traders plan ahead, they need to understand how much money will it take to stop a rally, they need to garner followers who will join them on TA weakness, and their intellectual impact is limited to the laws that John Chen must live by. With this knowledge, they build a position in a stock, wait for the news, let the retail buyers run the stock up, (i.e. PM buyers) and then they feed stock to them until they run out of buying power. Long term investors don't arrive at the scene on earnings day, their analysts do though. Those analysts review the webcast, crunch the data, tell their bosses what's up, then in turn, they start informing their client base of Funds and Retail. Their investment in the trade comes much later and traders know this. That is why traders take control of the stock like today, hold it down until the volume drops to a level that ends the value of that trade. If you watch Level II on your screen, you will see a change in the way the trades are taking place. Soon, there will be this rally of sorts, you know nothing new was said, none of the analysts have really come out in favour of the stock, but the stock begins to back off and rally. The traders can buy back shares on the way up as they have been net sellers to the retail market during the PM.

The last thing they want to do is take the stock too low and cause a key reversal in the trade, so they follow the TA just like we do. So far, they have killed the rally, stopped the positive vibe of the news and reined in the optimism of the honest investor. What chance is there that BBRY can see $ 11.00 again? They killed that rally in its tracks and now have some profits and a stock intact for another trade. The problem with all of this is that it eventually fails, stock ends up in strong hands and they get squeezed just like HALO is undergoing today. HALO represents where you want BBRY to be sometime in the future, it is coming, but for now, we aren't there because of the law, the size of the common stock float and the media.
    06-23-15 01:01 PM
    Is it my imagination but did Chen seem hesitant and less confident than in earlier quarters?

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 01:04 PM
    Unless it's in my summary one ... I4m affraid not sorry.
    This is the one I was talking about:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-c003f4547_a89874c0-19ca-11e5-a2e5-0200ac177820.png

JC mentioned that it should remain valid for the next 5 to 10 years. So, FTR...
    06-23-15 01:15 PM
    That interview makes things clear.

The $100 million revenue target for BBM: missed.
    The $500 million revenue target for BES: missed.
    The licencing revenue is not recurring, but there are chances of getting other deals in the near future.

Chen redefined the $500 million goal as software AND IP deals.

In other words, things aren't going well, the plan failed.
    techvisor likes this.
    06-23-15 01:23 PM
    Under sell and over deliver. That's John Chen's MO. They are setting the ground work and value added offerings and services to roll-out and scale up.

As for your iPhone crew, ask them how their productivity and security is going. I feel less safer using Apple OSX and iOS these days with the 0-day bugs.

Posted via CB10
    The users will never care about security, as does my company until some breaches occur. We are using the most basic Ms exchange activesync server and we are provided with a q10 for work. My colleagues now even found out a way to access corporate email using the outlook app on iPhone and they say the experience is much better than using q10. They don't bring the q10 anymore.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    06-23-15 01:27 PM
113,251 ... 34263427342834293430 ...