View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Once again. The usual suspects in the market are successful in creating doom and gloom.
    Repeat and rinse.

By. BlackBerry Passport User
    Corbu, La Emperor, Bilaal and 8 others like this.
    06-19-15 12:39 PM
    06-19-15 01:24 PM
    White Passport spotted!

06-19-15 01:46 PM
    OT:
    Looking back

To put things in perspective...

A friend just sent me the following two links, to remind us all of the fickleness of the market, of how quickly things change, etc. and of how wrong one can be (including our dear friend James who once thought RIMM was "immune" from iPhone)...

June 2007
    Apple's Hot But RIMM and Palm Could Make News Too

June 2008
    RIMM Shares Plunge As The Company Pays Up For Growth - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com
    La Emperor, rarsen, jxnb and 10 others like this.
    06-19-15 02:41 PM
    Anyone know, how would I have faired just investing in an index fund that follows the market, vs investing in this stock since this thread was created? 1 year after this thread was created? 2 years? ...etc
    06-19-15 03:37 PM
    OT:

Price Comparisons of Wireline, Wireless and Internet Services in Canada and with Foreign Jurisdictions

2015 Edition

Prepared for the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission and Industry Canada

Price Comparisons of Wireline, Wireless and Internet Services in Canada and with Foreign Jurisdictions
    zyben, Corbu and rarsen like this.
    06-19-15 03:43 PM
    Anyone know, how would I have faired just investing in an index fund that follows the market, vs investing in this stock since this thread was created? 1 year after this thread was created? 2 years? ...etc
    Just look up the S&P500. You would've been a lot better off. That's why diversification is highly, highly recommended.

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    06-19-15 03:55 PM
    06-19-15 04:09 PM
    Anyone know how many trolls have visited this thread since it was created?
    kadakn01, bungaboy, sidhuk and 9 others like this.
    06-19-15 04:14 PM
    Interesting question because I think index funds should be a part of an investing portfolio.

Let's see, the thread was created Nov 2, 2011, a little more than 3 1/2 years ago.

So in those 3 1/2 years, BBRY is down 58%.
    If you had bought an index fund that tracks NASDAQ, you would have been up 87%
    early2bed and sentimentGX4 like this.
    06-19-15 04:23 PM
    Thought about buying some shares a while back in the off chance the new CEO would somehow turn things around. Honestly I don't see buying into Blackberry as any kind of meaningful investment but hey back when I first read about bitcoin I thought about buying some and decided not to...little did I know a few years later they would be worth like $1,000+ so who knows What I do know is unless Blackberry turns into Berkshire Hathaway 5 shares of anything won't make you any money (obviously) but I understand the kick out of owning a piece of a company you are passionate about. I'm from Wisconsin where people buy shares of the Green Bay Packers even though it means absolutely nothing and you get zero returns. If you like Blackberry THAT much buy all means by shares (like that one all you spell checkers out there?) ; )
    06-19-15 04:40 PM
    Boy, if you can't find that answer for yourself you shouldn't be investing in anything!

On the other hand, the probabilities of a drive by FUD snipe are statistically very high as we enter ER season.
    zyben, kadakn01, sidhuk and 13 others like this.
    06-19-15 04:43 PM
    I am sure someone has made a fortune on BlackBerry since this thread was created. Up, down, sideways, inside out, upside down, you can always find something that will benefit your portfolio.
    morganplus8, rarsen, zyben and 3 others like this.
    06-19-15 04:59 PM
    Anyone know how many trolls have visited this thread since it was created?
    We should create a "Troll Index" and see how it correlates with BBRY's SP...
    06-19-15 05:19 PM
    Hi all:

It has been a while. Here is a quick update on my charts. In my previous posts, I indicated that we may have an ascending triangle. This pattern is not valid anymore, because the stock broke the orange line in the charts below, which was our long term uptrend line. What seems to be a valid pattern now is what Morgan has pointed out, which is a parallel trading channel. This pattern is tricky to establish, because of the various rumors that caused the spike and dip. In any case, the range of this parallel channel is about $11.10 - $8.59.

Weekly. On the weekly chart, we can see the overview of this parallel channel. I think, an important indicator on this chart is volume. The stock has been trading in the channel for almost a year. And volume in the second half has decreased gradually. This channel may not last very long anymore. How convenient is it that the current dip is just 1 more trading day, before ER? And how about the institutions that increased their holdings, yet issuing bearish news? And how about that Scotia upgrade to $12.50? Pretty "confusing," right?

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2015-06-19-5.56.39-pm.png

Daily. In the short term, the stock is about to enter oversold area based on RSI. The last similar dip was in April, which brings us to a divergence to notice in the MACD. The MACD line forms lower low, and the histogram forms higher low. This means that the downtrend strength is decreasing. The dip in April has this feature as well. I believe, we are due for a bounce very soon.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2015-06-19-6.00.46-pm.png

I am still holding my shares. And it is great to see the continuity of quality posts in this thread. Thanks to all of you, and special thanks to Morganplus8. Morgan, I wish you all the best on your family situation.
    rim4ever, Corbu, bungaboy and 20 others like this.
    06-19-15 05:30 PM
    BlackBerry?s revenue decline expected to continue | Toronto Star

By: Michael Lewis Business Reporter, Published on Fri Jun 19 2015

BlackBerry Ltd. will hold its annual meeting Tuesday after releasing first quarter earnings that analysts expect will continue a trend of falling revenue amid improved adjusted profit.

The hardware and software maker will report before markets open a 3 cent per share adjusted loss on revenue of $694 million (U.S.) versus an 11 cent loss on $966 million in sales for the year earlier period, according to a consensus of analyst forecasts compiled by Bloomberg.

Just past the mid way point of a two-year restructuring, BlackBerry has sharply pared costs and has been cash flow positive this year, topping earnings estimates in each of the past four quarters.

But MKM Partners’ Michael Genovese cites concerns about the ability to offset falling services sales with software growth “and to generate any profits from hardware.”

BlackBerry CEO John Chen has reaffirmed his software revenue target of $600 million even though fourth quarter sales came in at just $67 million. Analysts expect the contribution to increase 50 per in the just ended quarter, with revenue from device sales seen falling another 8 per cent.

“We view the software guidance as overly ambitious given the landscape,” Genovese said.

He said services revenues tied to handset sales are expected to continue to decline 15 per cent per quarter through fiscal 2016, to more than offset growth in sales from device management, messaging and other software.

BlackBerry had $3.3 billion in cash including debt at the end of February and has registered two consecutive quarters of operating profitability. Fourth-quarter revenue, however, declined 32 per cent year over year and missed analysts’ estimates by 16 per cent.

Chen’s plan is to generate free cash flow in every quarter in fiscal 2016 and stabilize revenues to achieve sustainable profits.

The Waterloo company recognized revenue on just 1.3 million smartphones in the fourth quarter ended Feb 28 and hardware sales tumbled year over year, although it posted positive cash flow of $76 million.

Raymond James analyst Steven Li in a note to investors cut his revenue forecast for the first quarter ended in May to $668 million from a prior $709 million.

He believes that both the BlackBerry Passport and Classic smartphones are not yet gaining “traction,” with BlackBerry to recognize revenue on just 1.4 million devices in the period.

Li also cited a lack of visibility for the conversion of customers from the prior EZ Pass licensing program to the BES management software, and BlackBerry’s newer value-added services.

“Pipeline is building but conversion has been slow,” Li wrote.

Scotiabank’s Daniel Chan, however, argued that BES12 adoption will provide a lift. “Once . . . organizations adopt BES12, we believe BB10 hardware sales will follow. He also said software sales will accelerate after “[picking] up slightly” in the first quarter.

BlackBerry has experienced a significant drop in revenue and market share, with its user base declining by an estimated three to four million per quarter. BlackBerry in its annual report said it had 37 million users at the end of fiscal 2015, compared to 85 million in September 2013.
    06-19-15 05:48 PM
    Very likely more.
    But that's not what most are around here.
    A wise investor may choose either to gamble or select a safe index and there's serious chances he performs better than me/us with an absolute still position (excluding additions).

But the fat lady isn't expected soon but somewhere ahead the next... few years. But each passing year literally drive us closer to our target.

I understand now that many traders won't get it. Probably because we're kinda playing for our old(er) days. Hey, what if BBRY stands and grows for the next ten, fifteen years ? Who we call me a fool if the stock goes back to half his historical high ? (around $180 I believe)
    That spare money I didn't spend for a few leisure times , may be somehow a nice gratification. And I must say that's not the money alone. That day we could tell we were part of it, resistants to the crushing.

Oh year, thanks. We're back on the topic full throat.
    I'm fu****g supporting BlackBerry. And I bought shares. Not sold.

Posted via CB10

P.S: hey, Morgan.
    06-19-15 06:36 PM
    How the Internet of Things could lead Blackberry turnaround

http://www.bnn.ca/Video/player.aspx?...b1a03b7d63c4fb

Colleagues of mine were sent to the Cisco Live conference in San Diego last week. There were 26000 participants. Even Aerosmith was there performing.

Anyway, Cisco were really pushing and promoting ioe (Internet of everything). I was surprised to hear how far ahead cisco and it's partners were ahead in this area. Participants had access to model trains and speed sensors and lighting systems and had the opportunity to program the devices and handle event triggers coming from all over. This market will be HUGE!

Glad to hear Cisco, Qualcomm and Intel partnering with QNX in this business.

A few more years guys. Hang in there.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, morganplus8, zyben and 11 others like this.
    06-19-15 07:51 PM
    We should create a "Troll Index" and see how it correlates with BBRY's SP...
    I like this idea. We should also establish a Troll of the Year Award for the trolliest of trolls.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-5d57qh.jpg
    06-19-15 08:42 PM

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-crackberry-image-3-.jpg
    zyben, Corbu, CDM76 and 3 others like this.
    06-19-15 08:49 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrackBerry Image(3).jpg 
Views:	2017 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	358550
    Your post was on the mark before it was "mod"ified
    06-19-15 08:59 PM
    Happy weekend all...enjoy your family and friends.

Classically Posted.
    06-19-15 09:03 PM
    Interesting question because I think index funds should be a part of an investing portfolio.

Let's see, the thread was created Nov 2, 2011, a little more than 3 1/2 years ago.

So in those 3 1/2 years, BBRY is down 58%.
    If you had bought an index fund that tracks NASDAQ, you would have been up 87%
    Wrong and misleading post...how about being an honest guy...you conveniently omitted the run up from 5 and change to 18, you conveniently omitted the run up from 5 to 12 after CJ came on board.

If you just plop money and forget it that's your prerogative, however, if you would bother to TRY and understand how pasterns work perhaps you could afford 2 IOT thermostats...just sayin.

Classically Posted.
    06-19-15 09:14 PM
    Happy weekend gang!

Enjoy!

bungaboy, theRock1975 and zyben like this.
    06-19-15 10:19 PM
    How the Internet of Things could lead Blackberry turnaround

http://www.bnn.ca/Video/player.aspx?...b1a03b7d63c4fb

Colleagues of mine were sent to the Cisco Live conference in San Diego last week. There were 26000 participants. Even Aerosmith was there performing.

Anyway, Cisco were really pushing and promoting ioe (Internet of everything). I was surprised to hear how far ahead cisco and it's partners were ahead in this area. Participants had access to model trains and speed sensors and lighting systems and had the opportunity to program the devices and handle event triggers coming from all over. This market will be HUGE!

Glad to hear Cisco, Qualcomm and Intel partnering with QNX in this business.

A few more years guys. Hang in there.

Posted via CB10
    Model trains? I'm confused as it think of toy trains I've the train set my dad gave me.

Coincidentally that brand on the train set is the same company that contracted IBM which I worked long ago on contract back in 2008 for I.T. Support. The company is BNSF the largest train company in the USA and now part of Berkshire Hathaway holdings by some 90+%

FYI their train masters headquartered in Fort Worth TX could remotely control trains for almost 20 yrs now before any of this IOT branding or knowledge of the sort.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    06-19-15 10:37 PM
113,256 ... 34173418341934203421 ...