View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Late in the party, but a follow-up about BES12 licensing questions some of you asked.

FYI, "lifetime licensing" is back in the game, available in a shop near you 1st of July.
    Customers asked, BlackBerry delivered. (and this is interesting, as this type of licensing is not for small companies but more likely for huge groups).
    Go, go, goooo !

@BM : see what I did there that's just a "view from the top". Such a change (whatever it means) would be so spectacular ... it does not make sense for me at 9 months of FY16 end, where the results shall come to frutition. But that's me and my crazy thinking ... oh, well, 4 days to go until we have some indications ...
    Then we'll know ...
    06-19-15 04:25 AM
    I had a bad night. [therefore, be careful with what's written below].
    Say the Prague running Google Android rumor is true, let me share with you what appears as an evidence to me.

Basically, this means :
    1/ Targeting the customers as main target.
    2/ Building masses of products for a huge country (India).
    3/ Addressing the mid-low end segment.
    Each of these are exactly the opposite of current strategy.

Question : Does John Chen leave ?
    My answer, hope, wish : no.

I've just erased two paragraphs of crazy thoughts. But for you guys (and FTR), two more lines.
    - BB10 runtime running on top of Android ?
    - Samsung+MSFT+CynaogenMod+BlackBerry ?
    For reasons we've hashed out - would have to be MSFT+CynaogenOS+BlackBerry

Something else to watch out in regards to the stock price - if it turns out to be an AOSP fork - then that slams the door on any deal or partnership with Google or any of the key OHA players pretty much for good - it might also mean (but hard for us to know) that they did an AOSP fork because they couldn't come to a deal with google.

(just to be clear CynagenOS which is installed on phones and controled by Cynagen ltd is slightly different to Cynaogenmod which you install yourself and is controlled by the community).
    06-19-15 04:38 AM
    Thanks, but I'm exhausted.
    Will stop further speculation and wait patiently, I guess

Posted via CB10
    cgk likes this.
    06-19-15 05:06 AM
    Yes, that's correct. ACL is installed automatically when WhatsApp is downloaded from the Tizen store..

What about Microsoft? Windows 10 also includes an Android runtime. Some Android OEMs are announcing devices. Maybe they will also install the runtime with the first Android app downloaded. In that case BlackBerry could do the same.
    Bingo.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 06:05 AM

FYI, "lifetime licensing" is back in the game, available in a shop near you 1st of July.
    Customers asked, BlackBerry delivered. (and this is interesting, as this type of licensing is not for small companies but more likely for huge groups).
    Go, go, goooo !
    And big customers asking for it mean that big customers are no longer concerned about bankruptcy. Compare to MOBL, for example, where they said that customers were moving to their monthly model...

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 06:31 AM
    Hope you get a good night's sleep then.

I don't think it is "exactly" the opposite of the current strategy. Your three points could be angling for another strategy altogether, and that is to get Movirtu's virtual SIM technology implemented in a country that "matters." I don't mean to slam Africa as Movirtu made some progress in Africa, but we haven't heard much about it. India on the other hand, has all the IT industry outsourcing business and has the population size where a win can be meaningful.

BB10 hasn't taken India by storm by any means and India may have been taken over by Android like most of the rest of the world. Hence BlackBerry needs to do something there. Recall that a month or so ago, Sunil Lalvani, the former MD of India was quoted in several newspaper articles that the virtual SIM solution was being tested to allow up to nine numbers on a single phone? Movirtu hasn't seen much traction yet as carriers are probably still kicking the tires of it (and probably hoping someone other than BlackBerry makes a similar product that they can choose instead, just so they can avoid BlackBerry). Anyway, if BlackBerry can use Android to get more BlackBerry phones out there, they may put the virtual SIM software on there by default. That might get a carrier to commit to launching the Movirtu virtual SIM service. A lot of IF's but it might be a way of getting their first visible win for Movirtu. A win in India might get WorkLife launched in the US or Canada! It just takes 1 win to set the dominos falling.

I'm just trying to guess a possible reason that addresses your fears. I could be waaaay of base here.

For those of you that want to refresh your memory, two Movirtu related links from a few months ago:
    BlackBerry woos India with 9-in-1 virtual SIM card
    MDM Update | Q and A with John Sims: Why We Chose Movirtu | | Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog
    rarsen, Mr BBRY, zyben and 5 others like this.
    06-19-15 07:18 AM
    Very interesting.
    Just a few more points:
    - CyanogenOS is focusing on privacy and security, similar to BlackBerry.
    - Cyanogen and Foxconn (!) are partners.
    - Samsung can not use CyanogenOS in their products, because they are already in bed with Google. But Foxconn can, so BlackBerry
    - No Google Services! But for everyone who is focused on privacy/security (enterprise), Google Services are an issue, not a feature
    - CEO of Cyanogen: “We’re putting a bullet through Google’s head.” (Nice )
    - An affordable BlackBerry CyanogenOS phone with focus on security/privacy for the developing markets would still fit into BlackBerry current strategy
    Last edited by georg4BB; 06-19-15 at 08:24 AM.
    06-19-15 07:18 AM
    BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) - BlackBerry Outlook Faces 'Greater Risks' In 2016 | Benzinga

In a report published Friday, Imperial Capital analyst Michael Kim maintained an In-Line rating and $10 price target on BlackBerry Ltd. The company is expected to report its F1Q16 revenue below the estimates.

The analyst also believes that there are "greater risks" to the FY16 estimates, driven by a slower than expected ramp of the software business. For FY16, the analyst also expects the continued weakness due to the falling service revenue. This, the analyst believes, is indicative of a long-term financial headwind, which will need to be offset by high margin revenue from software.

The F1Q16 revenue and EPS are expected to come in at $780 million and (0.05), respectively, driven largely due to lower than anticipated expansion of Classic, via the US carrier channel.

"Looking ahead, we are also less optimistic about future shipments of the new Leap device based on lackluster feedback. However, we continue to anticipate near-term bounce from Classic as legacy users exchange their aging devices, though this upgrade cycle could pull demand forward unless BBRY is able to introduce new devices with compelling features and capabilities," Kim stated.

Regarding the outlook for FY16, the analyst believes that potential risks include slow software (BES12) and BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) ramp. The management expects to double its software revenue to about $500 million, while generating BBM revenue of $100 million.

"This appears unrealistic given the company's middle-of-the-road EMM (enterprise mobility management) suite, as highlighted by market researcher Gartner's recently published Magic Quadrant report for EMM Suites 2015. It will be critical for BBRY to rapidly upgrade customers in the EZ Pass program to the gold tier and begin charging for technical support without material attrition," the Imperial Capital report added.
    06-19-15 07:37 AM
    From the Related Technologies files, should Samsung make major announcements using additional BB technology to provide increased confidence to all that they have better control on Security Issues -- just saying??

Samsung to issue security fix for 600 million Galaxy phones | ZDNet
    06-19-15 07:41 AM
    Just have to wait and see. The targets were drawn up, and the results will speak for themselves. What I'm interested in hearing in what upcoming plans are in the works...if the short term picture isn't amazing, hopefully the medium to long term plans will be promising.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag, zyben and bungaboy like this.
    06-19-15 07:42 AM

Something else to watch out in regards to the stock price - if it turns out to be an AOSP fork - then that slams the door on any deal or partnership with Google or any of the key OHA players pretty much for good - it might also mean (but hard for us to know) that they did an AOSP fork because they couldn't come to a deal with google.

(just to be clear CynagenOS which is installed on phones and controled by Cynagen ltd is slightly different to Cynaogenmod which you install yourself and is controlled by the community).
    If the focus of this phone is India - it's not likely to be with Cyanogen who have an exclusive deal with Micromax no?

Micromax is said to have a lot invested in the Yu range and has signed an exclusive partnership with Cyanogen to be the only seller of Cyanogen smartphones in India. It recently filed a lawsuit against OnePlus for allegedly infringing upon its exclusive rights over Cyanogen OS.
    Micromax launches Yureka with Cyanogen OS at Rs 8,999; available only on Amazon - Tech2
    rarsen, georg4BB and cgk like this.
    06-19-15 07:44 AM
    SACO Joins Forces with BlackBerry to Serve Customers in the Americas MIAMI, FL--(Marketwired - June 18, 2015) - SACO LLC, a global telecommunications value added distributor, today announced that it has entered a global master distribution agreement with BlackBerry Limited, a global leader in mobile communications, to serve customers in the Americas. Under this agreement the companies will join forces to sell and promote the complete BlackBerry� portfolio of hardware, software and value added services in Latin America and North America. "BlackBerry is a global leader in mobile security, and we plan to work proactively with them to promote their popular devices as well as their cross-platform Enterprise Mobile Management (EMM) solution. Our lean and dynamic company can make BlackBerry's solutions available to diverse targets more efficiently," said Brett Schmulian, CEO of SACO. BlackBerry's device portfolio includes the BlackBerry� Passport� and BlackBerry� Classic� smartphones, which integrate its world-class keyboard and a large touch screen, giving users the benefits of both worlds. BlackBerry has a partnership with Amazon and supports a large variety of Android apps, while keeping its renowned security. BES�12: a multi-OS EMM solution by BlackBerry, securely manages smartphones running on all major operating systems and is the foundation of its extensive enterprise mobility portfolio. "We believe that being able to promote both, hardware and software together, will allow us to re-enforce the value of BlackBerry for customers and will help penetrate new channels for BlackBerry" said Mr. Schmulian. About SACO With more than 10 years in the industry, SACO is a fast growing distributor for telecommunications equipment and offers a wide range of services. With a structure designed looking at the trends of the market, SACO is providing customized solutions to major carriers, retailers and manufacturers. For more information: SACO Email: [email protected] 305.436.6088
    Corbu, georg4BB, Mr BBRY and 10 others like this.
    06-19-15 08:09 AM
    OT...It's Austrian GP time:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-facebook-20150619-071547.png

Classically Posted.
    06-19-15 08:18 AM
    I had a bad night. [therefore, be careful with what's written below].
    Say the Prague running Google Android rumor is true, let me share with you what appears as an evidence to me.

Basically, this means :
    1/ Targeting the customers as main target.
    2/ Building masses of products for a huge country (India).
    3/ Addressing the mid-low end segment.
    Each of these are exactly the opposite of current strategy.

Question : Does John Chen leave ?
    My answer, hope, wish : no.

I've just erased two paragraphs of crazy thoughts. But for you guys (and FTR), two more lines.
    - BB10 runtime running on top of Android ?
    - Samsung+MSFT+CynaogenMod+BlackBerry ?
    Next phase of the strategy is growth. That means that the company is now right sized and the focus on enterprise is complete.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 08:27 AM
    I'm no "Swifty"... but i know most of you on this board are closet swifties... (don't be shy, just admit it)

It's a start against the giant... and hope the trend continues to show public "dislike" or choose against the giant...ESPECIALLY from notable public figures.

How do you eat an elephant? (if you do that is)

one bite at a time !

so.. without further ado

... kinda OT: "Shake it off, Apple." <-- (the PG version)

"Taylor Swift says no to Apple Music: best-selling "1989" album won't be available on it

Posted: 19 Jun 2015, 02:17, by Peter K.

Tags: iOS+ Apple+
    Taylor Swift says no to Apple Music: best-selling "1989" album won't be available on it

Taylor Swift is known for her total indifference to the music streaming business - her last album, 1989, can't be streamed on any platform, neither Spotify or its ilk. Well, if your name is "Apple" and you're on the verge of launching your new streaming music service, then you'd probably do your best to court the pop star into releasing her latest best-selling album on your streaming service, right?

We are certain Apple has done all it could to entice Taylor, but the singer has just taken yet another big scalp and has denied to release 1989 on Apple Music. We guess all of Cupertino's connections and influence on the music industry, which have been created thanks to years of fruitful collaborations, have had little to no effect on Taylor Swift.

The singer of "Blank Space", "Bad Blood", "Shake It Off", and "22" has a well-known stance towards music streaming services, often claiming that “music should be consumed as albums". Judging by the 5 million copies of 1989 that have been sold to date (making it one of the best-selling albums of 2014), this strategy is seemingly playing out well for Tay.

Shake it off, Apple."
    06-19-15 08:46 AM
    9-Z10s
    5-Q10s
    12-Z30s
    2-Q5s
    1-Z3
    8-Passports
    4-Classics
    2-Leaps

The Richard Petty # of BB10s I bought outright for my family and myself. LoL

Wanting the Bronze Classic!
    wowsers !

( can you adopt me ? thanks )
    06-19-15 08:52 AM
    Nice find zyben! Not dated but published in the June 2015 edition of KPMG's magazine:

Would Chen do this story/cover in June 2015 if his financials weren't going to show a turnaround on June 23rd? hmmm.....
    06-19-15 09:19 AM
    06-19-15 09:20 AM
    Will there be an actual shareholders meeting that we can physically attend?
    06-19-15 09:40 AM
    Will there be an actual shareholders meeting that we can physically attend?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3...l#post11725881

Investor Events - Canada
    bungaboy, zyben, MasterMoe and 1 others like this.
    06-19-15 09:46 AM
    Thank you Corbu, I didn't notice those posts. Appreciate it!
    Corbu and zyben like this.
    06-19-15 10:54 AM
    Analysts: BlackBerry's push into software isn't picking up steam yet - FierceWireless

BlackBerry is likely going to report less software revenue when it posts earnings on June 23 than Wall Street is expecting, and financial analysts and the wider market should lower their expectations for how quickly the company can increase software sales, according to a report from analysts at Wells Fargo.

BlackBerry reported $250 million in software revenue in its last fiscal year and CEO John Chen has said the company aims to double that to $500 million in its current fiscal year, which runs through March 2016.

In a research note, Wells Fargo analysts Maynard Um, Munjal Shah and Jason Ng wrote that they think BlackBerry's overall financial performance will be weaker than analysts expect for its first fiscal quarter, especially with software revenue, and that Wall Street analysts will likely need to cut their revenue estimates at BlackBerry for the next two quarters, even though they see potential in BlackBerry's approach to push into software and reestablish its position in regulated industries like finance, law and medicine.

"We continue to fundamentally believe that BlackBerry has an opportunity to address a security need within regulated industries," they wrote. "However, we lower our valuation range $0.50 to $9-10 as we expect some near-term pressure from the quarter, downward estimate revisions, and a more back-end-loaded software year relative to consensus expectations."

The analysts think Wall Street's consensus for BlackBerry to report $84 million in software revenue is too high (they peg at around $75.2 million) because of a lack of annually recurring software license revenue.

BlackBerry said in March it would be offering more of its core software and services to larger smartphone platforms, including Google's (NASDAQ: GOOG) Android, Apple's (NASDAQ: AAPL) iOS and Microsoft's (NASDAQ: MSFT) Windows. BlackBerry's services let users do things like manage personal and work email and edit documents across devices securely; let users find their highest-priority messages faster; and monitor all personal and work messages in one place. The services also let users protect personal and work data from malware and theft via BlackBerry's secure encryption and privacy controls; secure emails, messages and phone calls; and have separate containers for work and personal messages.

Although the company keeps introducing new phones, BlackBerry captured just 0.3 percent of the global smartphone market in the first quarter, according to research firm IDC. Reuters reported last week that BlackBerry is considering using Android in an upcoming smartphone; BlackBerry said it remains "committed to the BlackBerry 10 operating system, which provides security and productivity benefits that are unmatched."

"We believe Street estimates over the next couple of quarters will also have to be reset lower as we expect software and hardware revenue growth to be offset by services declines, resulting in flattish revenue," the analysts wrote "Additionally, we believe there is risk that two of the four handsets expected this [fiscal year] could slip into next [fiscal year]."

The analysts continue to think BlackBerry faces several risks, including the transition of its services business model, uncertain demand for its BlackBerry 10 smartphones, the lack of a strong ecosystem and potential enterprise market share loss, among others.

"With a potential sale of the company less likely in the near-term, we believe BBRY will likely look at other strategic alternatives (further restructuring, potential divestitures, aggressively target multi-platform strategy, etal)," they added. "Upside risk could come from potential strategic actions."
    06-19-15 11:24 AM
    From BNN's The Disruptors, must see, from 16:40:

BNN - Watch TV Online | The Disruptors for Thursday, June 18, 2015

David Kleidermacher, among others...

Very good job by Amber!
    Nice to watch !

Curious though, the analyst mentioned that there are currently 20 others in the IoT space (like the Ciscos, Microsofts, etc of the world) that are established, or in the same position like BB..... but he said BB is 19th of the 20.

What is this ranking based on?

User base, subscriptions, $$$ value ....?
    Corbu, lech31, Mr BBRY and 5 others like this.
    06-19-15 12:27 PM
    I hardly believe we won't get anything positive next week. I am really hoping Fox Chen has something to show us that can balance the negative ER.. His intent to stop leaks for the vast majority can have this downside: the market/the consumers don't actually know what to expect and they become suspicious about BB's moves... What I would love to be revealed:
    - Slider and its OS
    - What his agreements with Samsung will bring
    - How is going on with the latest acquisitions as Movirtu and Watchdog

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 12:28 PM
    Nice to watch !

Curious though, the analyst mentioned that there are currently 20 others in the IoT space (like the Ciscos, Microsofts, etc of the world) that are established, or in the same position like BB..... but he said BB is 19th of the 20.

What is this ranking based on?

User base, subscriptions, $$$ value ....?
    I was wondering about the same thing...

FWIW, the only reference that I was able to find is this one, where BBRY comes in 18th out of 20 (and not 19th):
    The top 20 Internet of Things companies right now

But, it leaves a lot to be desired, as:

Ranking the Internet of Things companies

We measure which Internet of Things companies people search for on Google and talk about on Twitter, which firms make the newspaper and blog headlines, and how many IoT-focused employees these companies have.
    Who knows what study - good or bad, well founded or not - this analyst refers to...
    06-19-15 12:38 PM
113,256 ... 34163417341834193420 ...