View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    If you are in the OHA - you cannot *make* phones for or with people who have a fork (which includes the run-time) - however samsung could release a phone with BBRY *apps* on it - in the same way MSFT was release office apps while having an android fork in its nokia android line (I forget the name) which they quickly killed.
    I don't think that's correct. Samsung uses the Android runtime on its Tizen phones. WhatsApp is an Android app on Tizen.
    06-18-15 03:59 PM
    But what does LG offer that differentiates them from the sea of other android OEMs? They're a run of the mill slab producer. BlackBerry has a pkb, productivity suite of apps, security etc. Not saying this guarantees success, but at least BB has some value to add and differentiate from the rest of the android pack.

Posted via CB10
    I suppose the productivity apps can be installed in any Android device. Pkb won't be as good as in BB10 and the market is small.
    06-18-15 04:04 PM
    I don't think that's correct. Samsung uses the Android runtime on its Tizen phones. WhatsApp is an Android app on Tizen.
    Someone can correct me - but the *user* can install software to make that happen, it's ACL - Samsung do not bundle an Android runtime with their devices (the only available tizen phone I can find is the Z1). Googling the Tizen store, it contains 25 apps (is this right?).
    sati01 likes this.
    06-18-15 04:17 PM
    Someone can correct me - but the *user* can install software to make that happen - Samsung do not bundle an Android runtime with their devices (the only available tizen phone I can find is the Z1). Googling the Tizen store, it contains 25 apps (is this right?).
    Yes, that's correct. ACL is installed automatically when WhatsApp is downloaded from the Tizen store..

What about Microsoft? Windows 10 also includes an Android runtime. Some Android OEMs are announcing devices. Maybe they will also install the runtime with the first Android app downloaded. In that case BlackBerry could do the same.
    06-18-15 04:26 PM
    You speak like it's fact. Until it's announced by BlackBerry, it's nothing more than rumours.

As for making tons of money, how? LG has been in the game for 4 years now and only making 1.5% operating profit. Factor in taxes and back to a loss. BlackBerry doesn't have the economy of scale to make tons of money on Android devices.

Posted via CB10
    True.

But I hope they do make tons of money by selling Slider at Galaxy like margins and people actually buying them in droves.

Posted via CB10
    Soumaila Somtore likes this.
    06-18-15 04:50 PM
    Apologies if this has already been posted....Blue Hill Research note concerning EMM: http://bluehillresearch.com/ranking-...#comment-63704

Classically Posted.
    rarsen, bungaboy, 3MIKE and 8 others like this.
    06-18-15 05:36 PM
    Let's look at BlackBerry and this rumor of Android from a logic point of view. One important question, is BlackBerry closing hardware? The answer is NO, they have publicly stated. Does BlackBerry want to loose customers, like current hardware buyers. I would put that answer at no. Does BlackBerry want to enter a world full of Android and a space were Samsung have shown weakness. Everyone remember last quarter Samsung had, and all the headlines that was negative on Samsung. So why would BlackBerry want to enter a market that is floated with Droids? No reason to head in that direction, but stick with something that differentiates yourself from others. No money to be made then I would presume no deal. CB had a thread that asked if BlackBerry made an Android phone would you buy one. The out come was yes they would. How many of the yes are current BB10 buyers? Let's get the crystal ball out and look at the headlines. Android is rescuing BlackBerry, not even Android can save Blackberry, why should people change when they have an Android phone. Let's see if the gang come up with better headlines.
    06-18-15 05:40 PM
    BlackBerry needs to delist from the shyster exchange. There is a reason why samsung won't touch the criminal US markets. NSA hard at work bashing and keeping BlackBerry down. Make no mistake US interests want to either steal or shut down technically advanced BlackBerry like they did to the Avro arrow. If you get lucky to meeting the now old guys who worked at the Avro arrow plant they will tell you a part of history that you will never find in a history book.

Posted via CB10
    Avro .... really? Just curious what major far leaping advantage did Avro have and how long would they have had that advantage for? Also are you talking about history via Daniel Edward "Dan" Aykroyd or something else?
    Yeah we all watched that movie and it sucked. No facts ever sunk in at all.

I want CURRENT data ... forward thinking data NOT that of the past.
    06-18-15 05:42 PM
    Looking at the stock price now looks like a steal, but I'm not sold this time. Last week I put an order in for $9.15 which didn't fill, but would have today if I left it. I strongly believe in BlackBerry as a whole and there are so many moving parts right now especially with the Android rumors continuing.

Personally, I believe the stock price is depressed by those controlling the markets and, as Chen said, the company is grossly undervalued. So why am I not jumping in with my entire life savings at this cheap price right now? Answer; I don't know. This ER has me a bit baffled. Also, the Android rumors bring up concerns. There can't be a dual boot and I don't even think BlackBerry will be able to offer BB10 alongside Android unless they completely remove the runtime from BB10 which would devastate the OS.

I don't post much, but thought I'd share some thoughts prior to Tuesday and reasons why I'm still on the sidelines right now when I have the opportunity today to purchase shares much cheaper than ever. Maybe I'll jump in tomorrow or Monday, but for some reason my gut is telling me to hold back.

Not too long ago when the stock went above $10 I thought that would be the last of any $9s, but now I'm contemplating getting in at low $9s/high $8s. This ER has me very conflicted... every other time I've purchased at just below 10, I've been extremely confident and comfortable. Planned on keeping the last batch for the long term, but after being underwater for a month I jumped out with a little profit. You'd think I'd be jumping in now, but I'm not. Just my take on a few things. Thought I'd contribute a bit this time around during the infamous quiet period bash fest lol.

Posted via CB10
    RLTurn77, Sir!

As Bacon Munchers said, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. It's clear you want BBRY to win, but are unsure of the company's future and hesitant to invest. That is fine. Each of us has our own investing strategy, timing and risk assessment. However, I will say that for someone who seems to believe in Chen and the direction he is taking this company, you are focusing far too much on the sell side analysts and short term stock movements. If you believe the company will succeed in the EMM, IOT or handset business, then it shouldn't matter that much if you buy at $8, $9 or $10 if the stock is indeed going to $15 - $20+. I understand wanting to buy in at the best price, but right now this play is about long term sustainable profitability. If you believe BlackBerry can achieve this, the investment becomes a no-brainer. The market has the company valuation at near failure when you account for the cash on hand (which I think needs to be put to good use at this time), so a bet against that may turn out to be very profitable. The key is to make sure you have some skin in the game when the spark ignites.

I am not offering investment advise here. I just want to point out that this may not be the best stock to track short term stock movement to gauge its success, especially with the short interest and certain investment banks that have been forecasting demise for years. Although it is exciting every time we make a run up, the reality is that without solid financial improvement or a big announcement we'll continue to wait. And so far, it's been a very long wait for many of us. But as long as we don't see an abandonment of the fundamental strategy from management, I'm willing to continue waiting. I sleep better at night knowing if and when BBRY jumps, I have had the perseverance to hold my position. Either way, best of luck with whatever you decide. Cheers!
    06-18-15 05:50 PM
    Ot or not? Good read anyways from Motley Fools.

Like the part about apps! Sorry gang can't post link, doesn't allow me to open in browser.

Thursday, June 18, 2015
    Honest Fools,
    Whether we like it or not, companies are looking for any possible way to maximize the utility of the data we, the consumer, readily fork over. Unfortunately, some of them don�t mind toeing the line, or even sliding their foot right through it so as to blur the boundary all together.
    It�s these blurred lines that customers often don�t see. How are we expected to? After all, these lines are, quite often, both blurred and buried in a muck of legal rhetoric known fondly as the �Terms and Conditions.�
    Nowadays, it seems that everyone wants access to everything. Have you actually ever taken the time to give moment�s notice to what all of those apps on your phone can troll through?
    I mean, why in the heck does my weather app, Wunderground, need to have the key to my contacts, photos and other �select apps?� If I asked them today, they might not even know right now. But, who�s to say they won�t figure out a reason to need it on down the road?
    Until that becomes clearer, I plan on refraining from installing the latest update. My current version suits me just fine.
    Thankfully, I was alerted to the increased interest in my personal information this time around.
    Based on corporate actions lately, we aren�t always that fortunate.
    Biting the hands that feed (handily)
    For many, trepidation around giving out their social insurance numbers or credit scores has stemmed from the outbreak of data hackers accessing troves of data housed within corporate servers. If the latest reports about BCE Inc�s (TSX:BCE)(NYSE:BCE) use of customer data is any indication, external threats won�t be the only source of this hesitation for long.
    You see, since 2013, Bell has been compiling certain aspects of customer data through its relevant advertising program (RAP)* and offering these constructed �profiles� up to anyone who would pay for them. As one might expect, advertisers were at the top of the buyers list.
    *Side note � the only mention of this program in its last two annual reports that I could find was to disclose (in the 2014 report) that it was under investigation by the Office of the Privacy Commissioner �to determine if it complies with PIPEDA.�
    For many (likely shareholders and a slew of customers), this may be old news. However, due to the closing of an 18-month investigation by the federal privacy commission, the issue has found its way back the surface. And, in my mind, rightfully so.
    For me, this is an issue that needs to be made an example of in order to protect consumers across all industries. Is it not enough that millions of customers were paying BCE for the services it describes on its �About BCE� webpage?
    Apparently not.
    Being Canada�s largest communications company just wasn�t enough. It needed the supplemental income that came with classifying its customers based on personal information and then selling this segmented collage.
    What makes this all the more troubling is that Bell considers the data it used to create these profiles to be �non-sensitive.� Since when is my credit score �non-sensitive?�
    As I was reading over this, I was reminded of a letter I read from Ben Hunt, the Chief Risk Officer of Salient Partners. In it, he mentioned some research that the journal Science published, �Unique in the Shopping Mall: On the Reidentifiability of Credit Card Metadata.�
    For those wondering what that means, the Wall Street Journal provided a handy little summary:
    Researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, writing Thursday in the journal Science, analyzed anonymous credit-card transactions by 1.1 million people. Using a new analytic formula, they needed only four bits of secondary information�metadata such as location or timing�to identify the unique individual purchasing patterns of 90% of the people involved, even when the data were scrubbed of any names, account numbers or other obvious identifiers.
    Now, if location and timing of a purchase can help identify me, something tells me that a lot more can be gleaned from my �postal code, gender, age range, plan type, device information, average revenue and credit score;� all of which Bell was using in its RAP initiative. (By the way, that�s what it�s called in its 2014 10-K, �The Initiative.�)
    To its �credit,� Bell allowed customers the option to opt-out of the RAP program.
    Whoopty doo!
    The company itself said that only 2% of 5 million customers opted out.
    Thankfully, this program has been suspended (to a degree), but it took an 18-month investigation and a ream of negative press to get to this point. Now, Bell plans to institute an opt-in version. Personally, I expect a comically low number of voluntary participants.
    Over-under on 100 -- any takers?
    How many more instances of this can take place before consumers simply stop agreeing to provide this kind of information without a concrete promise that it won�t be used in this manner, or worse?*
    We are in a new age. Never before have companies known as much about us as they do today. What�s more, this data is unfathomably easy to transfer between parties.
    We are no longer talking about paperwork filed away in some warehouse for decades. It�s all out there in the digital ether.
    Much like archaeologists analyzing a dinosaur�s footprint, these companies are evaluating our digital footprint with astounding accuracy.
    06-18-15 05:51 PM
    The article is not dated, but looking at the content it seems fairly recent.

BlackBerry�s big turnaround

BlackBerry?s big turnaround | The Next Million | KPMG Enterprise
    Nice find zyben! Not dated but published in the June 2015 edition of KPMG's magazine:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-subscribe-june-20151.jpg
    06-18-15 06:05 PM
    OT: I just finished filling out an online survey by BlackBerry regarding how I felt about the phone, ability to buy and what features I valued.

Man it felt good asking for an always visible "end call" button including on the lock screen. I asked for a button that you have to press and drag (similar to CascaRun's stop button) so it makes it difficult to accidentally hang up.

Then it felt good to vent about ditching Digital River.

If anything, I didn't realize that I bought 7 BB10 phones since 2013. Several more if you include purchases for co-workers. Man, that's a lot for one person.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 07:33 PM
    Nice find zyben! Not dated but published in the June 2015 edition of KPMG's magazine:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	subscribe-june-20151.jpg 
Views:	3111 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	358296
    Awesome. Bigger image below for anyone that wants it

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150619_014518_edit.png

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 07:48 PM
    9-Z10s
    5-Q10s
    12-Z30s
    2-Q5s
    1-Z3
    8-Passports
    4-Classics
    2-Leaps

The Richard Petty # of BB10s I bought outright for my family and myself. LoL

Wanting the Bronze Classic!
    06-18-15 07:51 PM
    BlackBerry hardware will soon contribute less than 5% to its absolute gross margins, says Cormark - Cantech Letter

Cormark analyst Richard Tse says hardware is well on its way to becoming a non-factor for BlackBerry (TSX:BB, Nasdaq:BBRY), and its pivot to software could be accelerated by acquisitions.

On Tuesday, June 23, before market open, BlackBerry will report its Q1, 2016 results. Tse thinks the company will post adjusted EPS of $0.00 on revenue of $629-million, numbers that differ from the street consensus of adjusted EPS of -$0.03 on revenue of $698-million.

While Tse says these numbers aren’t “stellar” by any means, he does believe the company’s steady $3.3-billion cash position can buy it time to transition away from hardware to a software/services model.

“While the consensus headlines continue to target hardware, the reality is that the company has effectively “outsourced” the economics of this business in the past two years,” says Tse. “As of F2016, we estimate hardware will contribute less than 5% to BlackBerry’s absolute gross margin ($56 MM of $1.2 BB). As such, we believe the key datapoint that should be on the mind of investors is the company’s progress toward its software/services revenue model where we see continued (but mild) progress. That said, we believe there is an opportunity to accelerate that software growth via acquisitions over the next 12 months.”

In a research update to clients today, Tse maintained his Buy (Speculative) rating and (U.S.) $14.00 one year target on BlackBerry. Shares of BlackBerry on the Nasdaq closed today down 2% to $9.12.
    06-18-15 08:14 PM
    @amberkanwar: Blackberry says it's smart car revenue is in excess of $100M #internetofthings $BBRY #TheDisruptors

https://twitter.com/amberkanwar/stat...98346537779200

Posted via CB10
    Mr BBRY, Bilaal, 3MIKE and 18 others like this.
    06-18-15 08:29 PM
    From BNN's The Disruptors, must see, from 16:40:

BNN - Watch TV Online | The Disruptors for Thursday, June 18, 2015

David Kleidermacher, among others...

Very good job by Amber!
    spike12, rarsen, zyben and 15 others like this.
    06-18-15 08:50 PM

Name:	subscribe-june-20151.jpg 
Views:	3111 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	358296
    Thanks for the clarification Corbu
    06-18-15 09:37 PM
    Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but the current stock dip is because I bought some more shares in the last week.

I'm three stock purchases for three big stock price drops now! I'm better than Faucette!

Posted via CB10
    I'm having a similar problem right now. I'm in the plus with my BlackBerry shares and wanting to sell some so that can put that money into another stock (ECA) but I'm scared that as soon as I sell the price will jump. Happened last time

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 10:03 PM
    some good technical info on BBRY

paststat.com - single click backtesting

some of the info

$BBRY DeMark Pivot Points 2
    DeMark Resistance Level 9.24
    DeMark Pivot Point 9.17
    DeMark Support Level 8.99
    Last edited by kadakn01; 06-19-15 at 12:59 AM.
    06-19-15 12:36 AM
    Apologies if this has already been posted....Blue Hill Research note concerning EMM: http://bluehillresearch.com/ranking-...#comment-63704

Classically Posted.
    Thanks Shane.
    Very refreshing to read an unadulterated perspective that appears unbiased in a sea of manipulators.

Touche':

http://www.bnn.ca/Video/player.aspx?...RRd5tk.twitter

Our Amber is back again!

Edit: Dang Corbu! I should have know that you had already posted!
    Oh well, worth seeing twice....
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 06-19-15 at 01:13 AM.
    06-19-15 01:00 AM
    Awesome. Bigger image below for anyone that wants it

Name:	IMG_20150619_014518_edit.png 
Views:	577 
Size:	546.6 KB 
ID:	358306

Posted via CB10
    Thanks man. I printed it out poster size to hang next to my picture of Diana Ross.
    06-19-15 01:08 AM
    I had a bad night. [therefore, be careful with what's written below].
    Say the Prague running Google Android rumor is true, let me share with you what appears as an evidence to me.

Basically, this means :
    1/ Targeting the customers as main target.
    2/ Building masses of products for a huge country (India).
    3/ Addressing the mid-low end segment.
    Each of these are exactly the opposite of current strategy.

Question : Does John Chen leave ?
    My answer, hope, wish : no.

I've just erased two paragraphs of crazy thoughts. But for you guys (and FTR), two more lines.
    - BB10 runtime running on top of Android ?
    - Samsung+MSFT+CynaogenMod+BlackBerry ?
    06-19-15 02:58 AM
    Probably looking for volume through low/mid end device + android. This is also where Samsung is getting the volume with.
    It will be interesting to see if the Prague story is true, if high end device (passport/slider) will continue with bb10.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 03:42 AM
    I had a bad night. [therefore, be careful with what's written below].
    Say the Prague running Google Android rumor is true, let me share with you what appears as an evidence to me.

Basically, this means :
    1/ Targeting the customers as main target.
    2/ Building masses of products for a huge country (India).
    3/ Addressing the mid-low end segment.
    Each of these are exactly the opposite of current strategy.

Question : Does John Chen leave ?
    My answer, hope, wish : no.

I've just erased two paragraphs of crazy thoughts. But for you guys (and FTR), two more lines.
    - BB10 runtime running on top of Android ?
    - Samsung+MSFT+CynaogenMod+BlackBerry ?
    Hope you get a good night's sleep then.

I don't think it is "exactly" the opposite of the current strategy. Your three points could be angling for another strategy altogether, and that is to get Movirtu's virtual SIM technology implemented in a country that "matters." I don't mean to slam Africa as Movirtu made some progress in Africa, but we haven't heard much about it. India on the other hand, has all the IT industry outsourcing business and has the population size where a win can be meaningful.

BB10 hasn't taken India by storm by any means and India may have been taken over by Android like most of the rest of the world. Hence BlackBerry needs to do something there. Recall that a month or so ago, Sunil Lalvani, the former MD of India was quoted in several newspaper articles that the virtual SIM solution was being tested to allow up to nine numbers on a single phone? Movirtu hasn't seen much traction yet as carriers are probably still kicking the tires of it (and probably hoping someone other than BlackBerry makes a similar product that they can choose instead, just so they can avoid BlackBerry). Anyway, if BlackBerry can use Android to get more BlackBerry phones out there, they may put the virtual SIM software on there by default. That might get a carrier to commit to launching the Movirtu virtual SIM service. A lot of IF's but it might be a way of getting their first visible win for Movirtu. A win in India might get WorkLife launched in the US or Canada! It just takes 1 win to set the dominos falling.

I'm just trying to guess a possible reason that addresses your fears. I could be waaaay of base here.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 03:57 AM
113,250 ... 34153416341734183419 ...