View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    OT but security related - Apple (sorry if already posted)

Apple CORED: Boffins reveal password-killer 0days for iOS and OS X

And a German newspaper on the same story:
    Forscher finden massive Schwachstellen in Apple-Software
    I hope BlackBerry's SIRT has contacted these researchers to see if BB10 or any of their Android/iOS (especially the Android ones given the recent Slider news) security measures are susceptible to the same issues.

Posted via CB10
    zyben likes this.
    06-17-15 03:59 PM
    06-17-15 04:10 PM
    Less than a week away!

My gut is telling me it won't be great, just more of what we've seen. Near break-even (small profit), declining revenues and some hard-to-decipher numbers.

Really hoping for some big news on upcoming products and partnerships. And also, some more clarity on software uptake. The dodging of BES12 talk on the last ER did (and still does) concern me.

I'm still optimistic, just trying to set my expectations lower than I have in the past. I feel we're solid, but still not over the hump just quite yet.

I live close to Waterloo and am contemplating attending the shareholders meeting. I filled in my proxy vote, which I believe qualifies me for an invite. Anyone with more knowledge that could correct or ensure me?

Posted via CB10
    BP12, bungaboy, CDM76 and 2 others like this.
    06-17-15 04:27 PM
    I went last year, they hosted it at Wilfred Laurier University. They weren't very strict with the registrations, I just showed up and told them my name on the proxy card.

Pretty sure I could've just walked in with or without an invite.

Less than a week away!

My gut is telling me it won't be great, just more of what we've seen. Near break-even (small profit), declining revenues and some hard-to-decipher numbers.

Really hoping for some big news on upcoming products and partnerships. And also, some more clarity on software uptake. The dodging of BES12 talk on the last ER did (and still does) concern me.

I'm still optimistic, just trying to set my expectations lower than I have in the past. I feel we're solid, but still not over the hump just quite yet.

I live close to Waterloo and am contemplating attending the shareholders meeting. I filled in my proxy vote, which I believe qualifies me for an invite. Anyone with more knowledge that could correct or ensure me?

Posted via CB10
    zyben likes this.
    06-17-15 05:07 PM
    I went last year, they hosted it at Wilfred Laurier University. They weren't very strict with the registrations, I just showed up and told them my name on the proxy card.

Pretty sure I could've just walked in with or without an invite.
    Was it a worthwhile experience?
    I am, by no means, a large shareholders and I would have to take a day off of work.

That being said, it seems exciting to be around that calibre of people and see the BlackBerry management team in person (not to mention a sea of BlackBerry phones haha)

Posted via CB10
    06-17-15 06:05 PM
    And what did MOBL get out of the deal? Currently MOBL sits shipwrecked.
    When Apple is finished with chewing them up this time around, the stock will be at $3.
    my statement had nothing to do with rebuttal about apple going to use and drain and drop them. I simply said MOBL was their first MDM and the news about a new collaboration does NOT surprise me nor should it surprise anyone else.
    06-17-15 07:27 PM
    Newly discovered Samsung security flaw allows hackers to access your entire phone

A potentially crippling security flaw has been discovered on a variety of Samsung smartphones.

Taking advantage of the flaw, a hacker is able to access a phone’s camera, microphone and GPS; listen in on a person’s phone conversations and read their text messages; and access information like personal contacts and photos.

According to NowSecure, the company that discovered the flaw, the problem stems from the fact that the process used to update the keyboard software on a Samsung phone can be hijacked by a hacker.

“Over 600 million Samsung mobile device users have been affected by a significant security risk on leading Samsung models, including the recently released Galaxy S6,” says NowSecure. “The risk comes from a pre-installed keyboard that allows an attacker to remotely execute code as a privileged (system) user.”

According to The Wall Street Journal, NowSecure discovered the flaw late last year. It subsequently contacted Samsung in November, telling the company its intention to disclose what it had found out. On December 16, Samsung asked NowSecure to wait three months before publishing anything. Several weeks later, on December 31st, it asked the company to wait a full year.

NowSecure says it bought two Samsung Galaxy 6’s last week—one from Verizon and the other from Sprint—and found that both still had the same vulnerability.

SwiftKey, which provides the technology behind the autocorrect algorithms inside Samsung’s keyboard, issued a blog post defending itself.

“We supply Samsung with the core technology that powers the word predictions in their keyboard. It appears that the way this technology was integrated on Samsung devices introduced the security vulnerability. We are doing everything we can to support our long-time partner Samsung in their efforts to resolve this important security issue.

“The vulnerability in question is not easy to exploit: a user must be connected to a compromised network (such as a spoofed public Wi-Fi network), where a hacker with the right tools has specifically intended to gain access to their device. This access is then only possible if the user’s keyboard is conducting a language update at that specific time, while connected to the compromised network.”

Samsung said about the exploit, “Samsung takes emerging security threats very seriously. We are aware of the recent issue reported by several media outlets and are committed to providing the latest in mobile security.

“Samsung KNOX has the capability to update the security policy of the phones, over-the-air, to invalidate any potential vulnerabilities caused by this issue. The security policy updates will begin rolling out in a few days.

“In addition to the security policy update, we are also working with SwiftKey to address potential risks going forward.”

On its website,
    zyben likes this.
    06-17-15 07:45 PM
    Publishers Upset Over Apple's Opt-Out Terms for Inclusion in iOS 9 News App

Apple recently sent a mass email to news publishers to introduce them to Apple News, an upcoming Flipboard-inspired app for iOS 9 that will deliver curated news and magazine stories with custom layouts, photo galleries, videos and animations optimized for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

The email has ignited some controversy in the news and blogging community over the past week, according to the BBC, which reports that some writers are disappointed about Apple's decision to automatically include a website's RSS feeds in Apple News unless they specifically opt out by replying to the email.

"Let me get this straight, Apple: you send me an e-mail outlining the terms under which you will redistribute my content, and you will just assume that I agree to your terms unless I opt out?" wrote Plausible Labs programmer Mike Ash on his personal blog. "This makes typical clickwrap EULA nonsense look downright reasonable by comparison. You're going to consider me bound to terms you just declared to me in an e-mail as long as I don't respond? That's completely crazy. You don't even know if I received the e-mail!"
    06-17-15 07:49 PM
    Apple Keychain Vulnerability in iOS/OSX

Video:
    zyben likes this.
    06-17-15 07:51 PM
    3 major posts .... and I thought I was done with BlackBerry ... the WORLD thought it was done.

Love my privacy when and how I want it and when I choose to release it and for how long!
    06-17-15 07:52 PM
    Was it a worthwhile experience?
    I am, by no means, a large shareholders and I would have to take a day off of work.

That being said, it seems exciting to be around that calibre of people and see the BlackBerry management team in person (not to mention a sea of BlackBerry phones haha)

Posted via CB10
    It was definitely great to see John Chen and the entire board in person. There wasn't anything really extra aside from what was broadcasted online.

Prem Watsa was there giving his support, alongside a sea of Q10's ;- ).
    rarsen, Corbu, jxnb and 4 others like this.
    06-18-15 12:02 AM
    So, there we go...

MORGAN STANLEY & CO. LLC
    James E Faucette

BlackBerry Ltd
    June 18, 2015

FQ1 Preview: Market Looking Increasingly Saturated, More Competitive

Industry View: Cautious
    Stock Rating: Underweight
    Price Target: $7.00

New device sales remain uninspiring and could indicate slow traction in software. We continue to believe management will have to revise down FY16 revenue guidance if BBRY does not acquire significant revenue.

Software ramp towards guidance remains in question. BlackBerry is likely to meet our FQ1 software revenue estimate of $86mm (a $20mm sequential increase) based on our recent checks finding EZ Pass conversion at roughly 25%. However we continue to be skeptical of management's $600mm software and messaging revenue target in FY16 (vs. MSe: $474mm), which likely requires broadly upselling its BES12 subscribers and expanding significantly beyond its EZ Pass base. In our May 29th note we cited increasing pricing pressure throughout the MDM market, and commentary from MobileIron corroborates our checks finding Microsoft and VMware (Airwatch) becoming increasingly aggressive in the space. We continue to believe that the TAM for mobile enterprise subs is seeing very slow or little growth: our recent conversations suggest CIOs are largely uncompelled to spend more for a specific device management vendor while upsell opportunities in content and application management solutions are similarly price sensitive and often involve many other vendors depending on the use case. For BlackBerry to surmount these challenges while channel relationships and direct sales efforts are not fully in place seems unlikely given our previous checks implied that most lucrative accounts are already spoken for.

Device estimates could be a reach and could signal additional challenges to software ramp. Our retail checks found relatively stable sellthrough rates since the Classic launched in the US but many carriers' retail locations are not stocking new devices despite promises to the contrary. With the addition of TMUS, we estimate BlackBerry sold through roughly 200k Classics and Passports globally through their retail channels for the quarter. We maintain our forecast of 1.0mm devices sold through in FQ1 (vs. 1.1mm in FQ4), but with retail sales of new devices only covering 20% of our estimate, we think the company could be challenged to meet Street expectations. Our enterprise checks suggest a slow refresh cycle as many CIOs with large BlackBerry environments are evaluating their device needs in conjunction with a broader evaluation of their BYOD/mobility policies (some are testing and comparing device management capabilities across multiple platforms). Generally our conversations suggest CIOs prefer to purchase non-BlackBerry devices or manage personal devices over expanding or refreshing their BlackBerry fleet, corroborating our recent CIO Survey indicating plans to purchase fewer BlackBerry devices and more iPhone, Android and Windows devices. In addition to the competitive challenges, longer enterprise sales cycles reinforce our belief that the ramp in software sales for the remainder of the year will fall below the trajectory implied by management's guidance.

Remain Underweight. Given the longer sales cycles and market challenges, we expect management will be compelled to lower its FY16 software + messaging guidance if it cannot acquire at least another $100mm in revenue. If shareholders begin to reevaluate the trajectory of BlackBerry's enterprise software business, we note that the company is preserving assets and optionality well, and that an implied EV of $2.5bn for a company eventually (2- 4 years) building a $600mm/yr software and messaging business seems reasonable to us and hence our $7 price target.

Risk Reward
    Valuation has moved ahead of business prospects

Price Target $7 ~1.5x Price to Tangible Book Value at the end of FY16e (~5.5x EV/FY16e Software + Messaging Revenue)

Bull $19 2.0x EV/Bull Case CY15e Sales (4x Price to Tangible Book Value at the end of FY16e)
    Meaningful traction of new products. New BES 12 platform and BlackBerry devices gain share, dramatically slowing the erosion of the enterprise subscriber base (20% software growth, 15% devices growth). Combined with good response to new BBM monetization efforts, the company is able to return to earnings early in FY16 (first half of calendar 2015). The EV/sales multiple could expand to 2.0x from the current 0.8x as these positives are factored in. The company would no longer trade primarily on tangible book value and instead would start to trade again on growth based metrics.

Base $7 ~1.5x Price to Tangible Book Value at the end of FY16e (~5.5x EV/FY16e Software + Messaging Revenue)
    Continued cost optimization activities and slowing cash burn. The company arrests its cash burn and moves to cut OPEX further after poor response to its new BES 12 and BlackBerry devices, allowing it to reach and generally maintain cash flow break-even by the end of fiscal 2015 and into fiscal 2016 (early calendar 2015). The company maintains its current asset base, and associated multiple, at 1.5x tangible book value, maintaining turnaround optionality. Grows software & messaging business to a ~$430mm by FY16. 5.5x EV/16e software & messaging revenue comparable to other high growth software names.

Bear $2 0.7x Price to Tangible Book Value at end of FY16e
    Failure to enact aggressive cost-cutting measures if new products fail. New management fails to take aggressive cost cutting even as new product launches flounder and subscriber base continues to erode pushing out cash flow break-even indefinitely. Net tangible book shrinks to the $3/share level by the end of May 2016 and the price/tangible book multiple falling with it, to 0.7x, yielding a value of $2.

Investment Thesis
    • CEO Chen will aggressively cut OPEX to preserve assets, allowing for future optionality.
    • Pressure will continue to mount on hardware platforms in the form of both lower pricing and lengthening life cycles, with value creation opportunities primarily in software.
    • The company will be unable to gain relevancy in enterprise mobile management software market and will continue to lose enterprise subscribers.

Key Value Drivers
    • Can the company stabilize its user base? We are skeptical.
    • Will the company be able to achieve ~$600 software & messaging revenue in FY16? We think that number is ambitious as it implies significant ramp in subscribers and ARPU.
    • Is there room for a third or fourth independent player in the MDM/messaging platform market? There are already more advanced vendors in the market with proven solutions for heterogeneous device environments.

Potential Catalysts
    • Signs of success with its various turnaround initiatives.
    • Hypothetical strategic value of the MDM/content management business to large enterprise equipment and/or software companies.
    • Breakeven on hardware business.
    • Stem losses in subscriber base.

Risks to Achieving Price Target
    • Management isn’t prepared to further expand operating expense cuts.
    • Free software, security advantages, and refreshed hardware aren’t sufficient to stabilize the user base.
    • Liquidation of assets persists at below book values.
    bungaboy, rarsen, lech31 and 13 others like this.
    06-18-15 06:55 AM
    A day early.... . GS tomorrow then?

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 07:16 AM
    A day early.... . GS tomorrow then?

Posted via CB10
    And D0uche Bank . . .

And . . .

" SBC Holdings Plc, Barclays Plc, BNP Paribas SA and Goldman Sachs Group Inc have recently signed agreements to settle the case, the Journal reported, citing people familiar with the matter. (http://on.wsj.com/1GYC888)

HSBC has agreed to pay $285 million and Barclays $375 million, the Journal said.

Bank of America Corp settled its portion of currency rigging lawsuit in April.

JPMorgan Chase & Co settled for $99.5 million in January and Switzerland's UBS Group AG settled for $135 million in March.

Other defendants include Citigroup Inc, Credit Suisse Group AG, Deutsche Bank AG, Morgan Stanley and Royal Bank of Scotland Group Plc."
    Last edited by bungaboy; 06-18-15 at 07:38 AM.
    06-18-15 07:27 AM
    06-18-15 07:28 AM
    BlackBerry ‘Prague’ the First Android-powered Device?
    https://n4bb.com/blackberry-prague-a...owered-device/
    jxnb, georg4BB, sidhuk and 8 others like this.
    06-18-15 08:40 AM
    Nice!

Can't believe there isn't a press release about this!!
    06-18-15 09:07 AM
    OT: HALOOO!!! new 52 Weeks hight.

M+8 sending my thanks to you every day!!!
    06-18-15 09:16 AM
    This tech underdog is going higher: Trader

BlackBerry shares been stuck in a tight trading range over the past year, but rather than take it as a sign to stay away, one trader thinks the stock is poised to break out.

"BlackBerry is up about 18 percent in the past year and I think it has more room to run," said "Fast Money" trader Brian Kelly on a "Behind the Trade" segment.
    He said the stock is undervalued and points to several catalysts other than earnings that could move it, including both the possibility of a takeover and the company's growing presence in automobiles.
    "BlackBerry QNX is the middleware that allows both Google and Apple's smartcar apps to run," said Kelly. "It's essential to the new push to connect cars to the Internet yet BlackBerry does not get enough credit for it, but I think that could change."
    BlackBerry has long been the subject of takeover speculation, which Kelly notes has buoyed the stock. But he also cautions that if a deal doesn't materialize soon, it may signal deeper problems at the company.
    "It has been long rumored that BlackBerry was a takeover candidate and it would make a lot of sense. At this point it's likely that several buyers have combed through the company and it worries me that not one has placed a bid."
    Kelly says to buy the stock below $10 and look for the stock to go as high as $15. He would sell if the stock falls to $8.

Follow him on Twitter @BKBrianKelly
    The story has a nice video embedded - if you can watch I think you would enjoy it.
    06-18-15 09:46 AM
    I would be happy buying some more BB stock and calls if this gets under $9 on Monday. From $9....at worst a 10% decline...but with good news (profit, increasing rev, $100M+ software and 1.5M devices sold, talk of QNX auto adding to rev in the coming quarters (Ford)) this could pop to $11.

A year from now $10 will be well behind us.

EDIT: I think MS and GS will be adding to their positions a bit on Monday. Even if the ER can be talked to 'blackberry is slowly dying' and they work the SP down further and buy more. We know MS is accumulating and looking a year out for their profits.
    bungaboy and zyben like this.
    06-18-15 09:56 AM
    This tech underdog is going higher: Trader
    The story has a nice video embedded - if you can watch I think you would enjoy it.
    From the video: "... this month BlackBerry announced they are launching an Android phone...".
    Wow! It's not even a rumor anymore, it's an official announcment for this guy.
    Corbu, sidhuk, Mr BBRY and 3 others like this.
    06-18-15 10:13 AM
    BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) - RBC: BlackBerry Classic/Passport Sales 'Aren't Great,' Revenue Outlook 'Well Below' Wall Street Consensus | Benzinga

In a report published Thursday, RBC Capital Markets analyst Mark Sue maintained a Sector Perform rating on BlackBerry Ltd., with a price target of $11, saying that there were more signs of the company's software transition.

"We're Street-low on revenue considering Classic/ Passport sales aren't great, SAF declines are continuing (estimate -49% YoY) and software contribution is too small to offset," analyst Mark Sue said. Total revenue is estimated at $487M, representing a 26 percent sequential decline and a sharp 50 percent y/y decline. The estimate is much below consensus of $689M.

Sue further estimates smartphone sales at 700k units, representing a 46 percent sequential decline and a 56 percent y/y decline, reflecting slowing Classic/Passport sales and the lack of a full quarter for the Leap. BlackBerry could report its EPS at a loss of $0.07, higher than the Street's ($0.03), assuming opex of $305M.

In the report RBC Capital Markets noted, "BlackBerry's $600M software revenue outlook is back-end loaded. Our near-term estimate is conservative; we expect software revenues to remain relatively flat at $70M in F1Q. We expect software revenue to ramp to $100M in F2Q and $145M in F3Q on conversion of BES EZpass trials, traction with carriers and SIM-based licensing."

Sue commented that BlackBerry could be considering development of an Android-based device, marking the "first step towards a software-only model." In such a model BlackBerry would offer differentiated devices, while avoiding the large fixed cost of maintaining its own OS.
    06-18-15 10:13 AM
    RBC : BlackBerry Classic/Passport Sales 'Aren't Great, ' Revenue Outlook 'Well Below' Wall Street Consensus
    06-18-15 10:15 AM
    BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) - Scotiabank Thinks Long-Term Investors Should 'Take A Look' At BlackBerry | Benzinga

In a report published Thursday, Scotiabank analyst Daniel Chan maintained a Sector Perform rating and price target of $12.50 on BlackBerry Ltd. The company is scheduled to reports its Q1 results on June 23.

Although the analyst expects Classic to be successful, the ramp is likely to be slower than anticipated. The analyst also believes that governments and enterprises would need more time to adopt BB10 devices.

"Once these organizations adopt BES12, we believe BB10 hardware sales will follow. These enterprise device sales will likely have a much fatter tail. We expect software sales to pick up slightly in Q1 as the EZ Pass program ends at the end of June and as channel partners begin to push BES12," Chan said.

According to the Scotiabank report, software revenue growth is likely to accelerate in Q2, following the closure of the EZ Pass program, initial VAS sales and sustained channel support. Hardware revenues are also expected to improve with increased adoption of BES12.

"We expect modest gross margin expansion QOQ on improved hardware margins and, combined with improved revenue, drive modest earnings in the quarter and deliver $0.06 in EPS," Chan added, while suggesting that long term investors could consider this stock.
    06-18-15 10:15 AM
    quiet period???!!
    Nice!

Can't believe there isn't a press release about this!!
    06-18-15 10:16 AM
113,250 ... 34133414341534163417 ...