1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    06-16-15 09:03 AM
    guess the "fire sale" is a pricing mistake then
    06-16-15 09:12 AM
    The Charity of Kris. We're a small company that just seems to try and help one individual
    I like it. A virtual charity. It has all of the benefits a charity but you get to spend the money on whatever you like. It's the best of both worlds, really. A dual-boot organization. When you are collecting the money it's a charity. When it's time to spend the money then it's yours to do whatever you wish with it. Virtualization is such an awesome concept!
    06-16-15 09:21 AM
    Not sure what to think about the 'friends and family offer'.. valid until June 22nd 11:59 PST or 5 hours before the ER :-)

Just out of curiosity, I had to check their purchase obligations and inventory value..

Posted via CB10
    06-16-15 09:26 AM
    Excellent!!

Operation Smile.

Posted via CB10
    Operation Smile it is - and because they are registered in the UK, I can get gift-aid it will boost it by 25%.
    06-16-15 09:32 AM
    OT:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150616_104026.png

'Classic' Win for the Hawks! Congrats!

Z30STA100-5 � 10.3.2.798
    06-16-15 09:42 AM
    Well this is fairly easy - if Google certifies GAPPS to run in a vm or on a dual boot - I will give $100 to the first person to suggest a charity
    Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    Just a thought...
    If VM and dual boot isn't possible, that leaves two options:
    1.1 The device ships with both OSs and in an initial setup you decide, which OS you want to use (the other gets deleted before setup)
    1.2 The device boots with BB10 so you can try. But if you eventually decide to switch to Android, BB10 gets deleted before Android setup (You can switch back to BB10 by new installation).
    2. Phone (same or similar hardware) ships in Android version and BB10 version.
    06-16-15 10:11 AM
    The point of a VM is to load the OS In its entirety. It is the implementation of the Android VM that needs to pass "the test".

Posted via CB10
    I agree with this. The machine still needs a boot loader. Think of a Macbook running HyperV or Parallels for Windows. That app loads the entire OS so you can have OS X and Windows running in Parallel. Although in that case OS X is hosting the VM software that is loading the entire Windows OS.

So with Hypervisor, we are talking about a much lower level utility that is loading the OSes. If Hypervisor is loading Android first and BB10 second, but when they are both loaded user can switch among the dual OSs that are running, then maybe it passes Googles conditions for the device to fully boot Android.

So what is BB released a phone that only boots to Android, but the end user can install full BB10 and enable Hypervisor to have a dual OS phone...if that is what is required to sell the device initially.
    06-16-15 10:28 AM
    Just a thought...
    If VM and dual boot isn't possible, that leaves two options:
    1.1 The device ships with both OSs and in an initial setup you decide, which OS you want to use (the other gets deleted before setup)
    1.2 The device boots with BB10 so you can try. But if you eventually decide to switch to Android, BB10 gets deleted before Android setup (You can switch back to BB10 by new installation).
    2. Phone (same or similar hardware) ships in Android version and BB10 version.
    I really feel #2 is where it will be. Just as HTC did with Android/Windows Phone you will see BlackBerry do with the new slider. Want BB10 its available. Want a BlackBerry Experience skinned Android, its available. You decide before you buy.
    06-16-15 10:30 AM
    Nice read on HTML5, Netfix :
    Netflix Comes to BlackBerry 10: https://mobilesyrup.com/2015/06/15/n...endly-website/

Classically Posted.
    [Skype] You know I've been monitoring this for a while. And while it's now open worldwide, it still requires a proprietary plugin that won't work on BB10 stock browser (tested this morning as I was TW the news). Still, HTML5 webRTC should be implemented in the near future, but let's wait for the alpha ...
    But hey, it's finally coming : HTML5 aka "platform agnostic apps" ... or the likes.

For Netflix, you can also grab the apk, works like a charm on my Passport (made an OT post about it a few pages earlier, I believe).
    Edited: As for the website, it's not working on my passport in France, as of date.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150616_175234.png
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 06-16-15 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Multi tweaking edit to add Passport Screen capture
    rarsen, georg4BB, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    06-16-15 10:40 AM
    I really feel #2 is where it will be. Just as HTC did with Android/Windows Phone you will see BlackBerry do with the new slider. Want BB10 its available. Want a BlackBerry Experience skinned Android, its available. You decide before you buy.
    Yes this would be the most easy/clean solution. But 1 is better because both OS can run on the same hardware. So you have a choice, even after you purchased the phone. Even good for companies. They can buy a batch of sliders and use the OS they want. No risk anymore. If they are dissatisfied with BB10 for what reason ever, they can switch to Android (or the other way around )
    06-16-15 10:43 AM
    Yes this would be the most easy/clean solution. But 1 is better because both OS can run on the same hardware. So you have a choice, even after you purchased the phone. Even good for companies. They can buy a batch of sliders and use the OS they want. No risk anymore. If they are dissatisfied with BB10 for what reason ever, they can switch to Android (or the other way around )
    Sorry but no.
    Even in this case, Android player has to be removed from BB10 (1).
    And then you can kiss goodbye - say - 50% of current BBWorld most popular apps which are android ports.
    I repeat : tick out anything Google as an "option". It's "all in" or nothing; Google set the rules in that purpose.

(1) because it's considered as an Android fork regarding OHA rules.
    06-16-15 10:47 AM
    The three regular characters will dooms day the results, use the blocks of shares they bought to drive the price down, manipulate the retail crowd and bank a ton-o-cash....you know, same as every ER.

Classically Posted.
    Is it the usual. We estimated higher than guidance and are now back tracking to guidance and acting all doom and gloomy like every other quarter for the last year or so?????

Posted with my flash Passport
    Superfly_FR and bungaboy like this.
    06-16-15 10:48 AM
    You are still thinking about this from a technical point of view:

TLDR version: The tests aren't really technical tests, they are simply the way google bullies partners.Google isn't interested in certifying devices that don't provide data to them on a 24/7 basis.

Longer version: the issue is really this - we know from skyhook and other leaked documents and emails that the point of the tests (like Android Compatibility Test Suite and Android Compatibility Definition) is simply "whatever google wants the tests to say on any given day*" - the outcome is always the same -

* the device only has android on it
    * it only boots into android
    * it always provides user data to google
    * it always has google search
    * it always uses google location service
    * it always has the google apps on the first screen a user sees
    * it always prompts a user to sign directly into google services.

If someone can point me to an outcome where that is not the case or google has allowed an OEM to provide GAPPS in an VM I'd love to see it. One of the real reason it will never happen is because it would give Samsung a wedge to do the same and they just don't want that.

* Google reserve the right to change the tests at any point *even during testing*. Google also can stop you shipping devices.
    I am not in the know when it pertains to the said, but I do know that BlackBerry cannot boot properly, nor transfer data, without engaging their servers. No WiFi, no data, period. This is even evident by the little 'berry' logo that pops up beside the signal carrier name. If you don't see it, you're not transmitting nor receiving.
    Not sure how all your guys' arguments would be able to allow Google to play properly with BlackBerry, but this ER may give us a clue(?)

It's fun to speculate though. I enjoy the resident IT experts' here take on the possibilities.
    Mr BBRY likes this.
    06-16-15 11:45 AM
    [Skype] You know I've been monitoring this for a while. And while it's now open worldwide, it still requires a proprietary plugin that won't work on BB10 stock browser (tested this morning as I was TW the news). Still, HTML5 webRTC should be implemented in the near future, but let's wait for the alpha ...
    But hey, it's finally coming : HTML5 aka "platform agnostic apps" ... or the likes.

For Netflix, you can also grab the apk, works like a charm on my Passport (made an OT post about it a few pages earlier, I believe).
    Edited: As for the website, it's not working on my passport in France, as of date.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150616_175234.png 
Views:	969 
Size:	203.5 KB 
ID:	357891
    You're looking at the old website. The updated HTML5 site is rolling out to users over the next 2 weeks. I still show what you have as well, but we have already received confirmation from one reader that has received it and it's streaming beautifully on his BlackBerry Passport.
    06-16-15 11:52 AM
    Murtazin: BlackBerry Venice will be an Android phone with BlackBerry services
    Posted: 15 Jun 2015, 11:00, by Alan F.Tags: Samsung+ BlackBerry+ Android+
    Russian blogger Eldar Murtazin swings for the fences. Sometimes he whiffs, other times he connects for a Home Run. We might not know what happens with this story right away, but here is the pitch. Last week, a rumor suggested that BlackBerry would be releasing an Android powered slider this fall. A phone codenamed the BlackBerry Venice was displayed at MWC with a top-down sliding QWERTY that harkens back to the BlackBerry Torch. Even though the Venice has been shown with BlackBerry 10 inside, Murtazin says that this will be the Android driven model coming from the Canadian company.

And there is more. In a tweet that he recently sent, Murtazin wrote "Samsung + BlackBerry = Android-smartphone with Lollipop + services BlackBerry." A look at the curved screen and the rumored specs of the BlackBerry Venice reveal similarities to the Samsung Galaxy S6 edge. Specifically, the 'Berry slider will supposedly feature a 5.1-inch screen with a 1440 x 2560 resolution, powered by an octa-core processor with a back and front camera combo of 16MP/5MP. Sound familiar?

Could Samsung be involved with BlackBerry's rumored Android device? Both companies have been working together on other projects including an encryption algorithm that BlackBerry is providing to Samsung for the KNOX secure "sandbox." Additionally, the SecuTablet is a secure slate for the enterprise that is a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 with BlackBerry's corporate OS installed. In January, there were rumors that Samsung was going to purchase BlackBerry, which were later denied.

Considering the similarity between the rumored specs for the BlackBerry Venice and seeing how closely the two companies have been working together, Murtazin's thoughts might not be totally far-fetched. An Android powered phone carrying BlackBerry's beloved physical keyboard could be just the thing to kickstart a new era for the company. And for those who love the BlackBerry OS, perhaps a model powered by the latest version of BlackBerry 10 will also be made available.

We recommend that you open up the ol' spice rack and take this story with a grain of salt. Heck, for something this big, better make it two grains.
    06-16-15 11:56 AM
    Sorry but no.
    And then you can kiss goodbye - say - 50% of current BBWorld most popular apps which are android ports.
    I repeat : tick out anything Google as an "option". It's "all in" or nothing; Google set the rules in that purpose.

SF I just posted a story from phone arena that has me thinking the following then...

What if there is a BlackBerry Slider with BB10 and a Samsung Slider with Android and the "BlackBerry Experience" ala the Tablet w/Secusmart? That would preclude the need for BlackBerry to remove Android Runtime from BB10 and give Sammy something other than that terrible TouchWiz to sell :-).

Should be fun to see what we get
    06-16-15 12:06 PM
    Sorry but no.

Sorry when I have have confused you. All of my options are resultion in a pure Android or a pure BB10(with Android Player). And no other OS on the device (except the Android player on BB10 like now). I did not talk about dual boot or removing the Android Player. Just removing Android or BB10 as a whole in an initial setup.
    06-16-15 12:06 PM
    The updated HTML5 site is rolling out to users over the next 2 weeks
    You're right !
    Therefore I noted "in France, as of date"
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 06-16-15 at 12:28 PM.
    bradu1 likes this.
    06-16-15 12:12 PM
    Sorry when I have have confused you. All of my options are resultion in a pure Android or a pure BB10(with Android Player). And no other OS on the device (except the Android player on BB10 like now). I did not talk about dual boot or removing the Android Player. Just removing Android or BB10 as a whole in an initial setup.
    Let me try to be clearer: you cannot have the same brand (BlackBerry) selling a Google powered Android and anything forked from Android.
    It's not at the device level, it's at the brand level that OHA set the rules.
    P.S: You can have Google Android and Windows devices because Windows is not forked from Android (and has no android player).
    morganplus8, rarsen, Corbu and 5 others like this.
    06-16-15 12:18 PM
    SF I just posted a story from phone arena that has me thinking the following then...
    This story has better chance ... still, the Android player would suffice and we're back on the "who makes the apps with BlackBerry services" question. Those services exist from BB10 day 1 (and even before) ...
    06-16-15 12:21 PM
    Guys, I'm sorry I strayed and contributed to a massive OT.
    Please understand I won't comment more here about he rumor, there are many threads (beware the flames) all over the forums about it. I've been contributing in several, this one as a random : http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...2/index14.html

Cheers,
    SF
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    06-16-15 12:25 PM
    I read this sentece over and over again everywhere and I respectfully disagree. Nobody cares? I would say 5-10 % care, depending on the country where you look. The number could easily double when people are waking up.
    I would say, half of people I know care. Most of them are on Android but with bad feelings. They just think, they have no choice anymore and BlackBerry is completely out of their view. A marketing campaign targeting the privacy problem of Android could shift a few percent of Androids marketshare to other platforms. Apple and Microsoft are doing this right now, I recently received an email from Microsoft with exactly this intension.
    "Nobody cares about security" is just plain wrong.
    it is wrong, you're right. but i wrote that to make a point. which is that the market for security is very small. and if blackberry not building phones, and not installing their OS then they have to make money selling services. the market for their services is very small right now and in the near to medium term i think it's a terrible idea to abandon their platform by selling a "blackberry" with android. and that's my reasoning for not believing we'll see a blackberry with android any time soon.

the correct statement should have been "not enough people care about security for blackberry to bank on that right now"

edit. my last comment on the topic too. unless we get concrete info

okay last thing taking into account randal's post. like i mentioned in my earlier post, i can see samsung trying to get away from android. i said tizen skin running bb10. but maybe they run blackberry skin (ie blackberry services) on android as a first step to getting away from google.
    06-16-15 12:28 PM
    BlackBerry launches new smartphone in Africa

A survey earlier this year of 3,500 mobile users in Africa’s top five mobile markets – including Nigeria and South Africa – suggested that BlackBerry’s share of the market was set to increase from six to 16 per cent across the continent, bucking a global trend away from the brand in recent years.

Commenting on the findings of the Mobile Africa 2015 study, Matt Angus-Hammond, business development lead for survey author GeoPoll said, “BlackBerry introduced most of Africa to the idea of a smartphone, and for the first few years was the flagship brand for the category.

“They initially hit the market through companies who got contracts for their executives, but as new models were introduced the old Blackberries have entered the mass market, and are still regarded as a status symbol in much of Africa.”
    06-16-15 12:44 PM
    Lenovo executive says BlackBerry bid possible ? but not likely - BNN News

After making five acquisitions over the last eight years, Lenovo’s president of North American operations says a bid for BlackBerry is not a priority for the world’s biggest PC maker. Aymar de Lencquesaing tells BNN Lenovo is busy integrating last year’s purchases of IBM’s server unit and Motorola Inc.

“With Motorola and our own Lenovo business, we’re number three in market share in the world and we have significant scale,” said de Lencquesaing.

A BlackBerry acquisition would bulk up Lenovo’s enterprise business and diversify the company away from smartphones and the ebbing PC market. Lenovo’s enterprise group, which includes last year’s purchase of the System X business from IBM, posted a pretax loss of $45 million in the latest quarter on revenue of $1.1 billion U.S.

The Globe and Mail reported BlackBerry and Lenovo discussed a deal in 2013, but Ottawa quietly signalled opposition to a takeover of Waterloo, Ontario-based BlackBerry by China-based Lenovo. However, de Lencquesaing says national security concerns won’t stop it from purchasing BlackBerry or any other company.

“There is no reason to believe that we should see that as a hindrance to whatever acquisitions we may consider in the future,” he said.
    + short video
    06-16-15 01:35 PM
113,256 ... 34113412341334143415 ...