View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    ... I think a blend of the two OS's might perfect this device. Of course the media will portray this a sign that BB10 was a failure and the CB community is going to be resistant to the change, but I am very excited for this device.
    I can imagine how much work it would be to make Android suitable for keyboard devices, with all productivity features and keyboard shortcuts inside the apps. Keyboard shortcuts need to be added to all Android core apps, and a good selection of productivity apps to match the productivity of BB10. I don't think BlackBerry has the time and ressources to do this.Therefore this is the most unlikely option imho.
    Maybe Samsung and Blackberry are planning a full touchscreen Android device with improved BB security features for some of the enterprise customers who are already heavily invested in Android. Or they a planning a dual boot high end full touch device. This would explain, why this kind of device is currently absent in the roadmap.
    But keyboard-devices like the slider with Android? No, seems to be almost impossible to me.
    06-12-15 07:43 AM
    A last word about it.
    Masses = all touch.
    Not hybrid aka slider.
    06-12-15 08:12 AM
    Just an aside...allot of Android apps work very well with the Classic, the dedicated "back" button helps.

Classically Posted.
    bungaboy, zyben, sidhuk and 1 others like this.
    06-12-15 08:20 AM
    Just putting my 2 cents in , It def will be a dual OS phone with virtual multi Sim Tech.
    bungaboy, georg4BB, zyben and 2 others like this.
    06-12-15 08:25 AM
    Well. There aren't that many of us that buy BlackBerry for BlackBerry 10. There aren't enough of us for BlackBerry to be profitable.

So, I don't blame them for going to an OS that is already accepted in the market and sells like hell!

I just hope I am able to somehow get their BlackBerry 10 devices that they'll probably only manufacture on order.

But overall if BB-skinned Android helps BlackBerry push more devices with good margin, it's good for us as shareholders.

Maybe not good from a user perspective because most of us do genuinely like BlackBerry 10 way of doing things. The OS flow fits with my mental model. Android doesn't. For my workflow, BlackBerry 10 is most efficient. And it's sad that I may have to lose this product. But perhaps this is important for company to live on.

Posted via CB10
    BB10 OS is currently new in its life form. The OS system keeps getting better with every new release. So why not have BB10 OS and Android as a skin. Makes sense when it comes to security.

My son was a Android fan boy (had to lock him in the closet, when guests came over, joking), and never wanted Blackberry devices. The rest of the family had Blackberry. I was amazed when the passport came out and he asked me to get him a Blackberry passport. Now the whole family carry a Blackberry cell phones. In my opinion the UI for Android and iOS is so boring when compared to BB10.
    bungaboy, georg4BB, zyben and 5 others like this.
    06-12-15 08:25 AM
    Ok, let's be back to finance and related discussions (err, I get the point about Android discussion and the effect on BBRY valuation, but ...)
    One of my friends is a Project Analyst and today he throw 2 tweets that woke me up ... and reminded me the times when we discussed about BlackBerry going private. I still love the idea, furthermore when it appears some deep pockets are now totally out of the "financial hazardous speculation" aka W.S and gamblers.
    So, I throw that as-is; what do you think ?

Note : GAFA as in Google Apple FaceBook Amazon (read about his - captivating, if you ask me - study about "GAFAnomics" here : http://blog.leweb.co/2014/12/gafanom...ions-un-learn/ )

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    -> https://twitter.com/louismoullard/st...77605494300672

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture2.png
    -> https://twitter.com/louismoullard/st...80727872602113
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 06-12-15 at 08:56 AM.
    bungaboy, zyben, sidhuk and 2 others like this.
    06-12-15 08:40 AM
    OT:
    MOBL

MORGAN STANLEY & CO. LLC
    James E Faucette

June 12, 2015

Picking at Mobile Security Insecurities

Industry View: Cautious
    Stock Ratin: Equal-weight
    Price Target: $7.00

MOBL spent its analyst day focusing on the strength of the mobile secular trend, and their ability to address mobile security weaknesses. Management also focused on resetting expectations for operating leverage after Q1 miss.

MOBL reiterated Q2 and full year 15 revenue and billing guidance, and improved opex outlook for Q2. Management updated guidance around operating leverage in the coming years, guiding for (24%) � (28%) OM's exiting 2015 and (8%) � (12%) exiting 2016. The company expects to be positive ops cash flow in 4Q16.

Mobile revolution continues, leaving enterprises vulnerable. The MobileIron analyst presentations coincided with the MobileIron-hosted Mobile First sales event. In the past, MOBL management messaging extolled productivity gains from EMM (enterprise mobility management). The new story for analysts was that enterprises have unmet security needs complicated by multi-OS/multi-device/multi-app source environments. Product positioning is the key change--MOBL's product portfolio and capabilities remain the same.

Fierce competitive environment. The company sees Airwatch (VMware) and Microsoft in most competitive situations, but believes it wins in more than 2/3rd of full bakeoffs. Frequently highlighted during the day was a recent win where the customer deployment has grown to 300K+ devices in ~6 months; a hotly contested account management believes was won due to MOBL's platform better scalability and security. Our recent checks on BlackBerry's BES12 highlighted a similarly competitive MDM market and also a difficult pricing environment as carriers negotiate lower wholesale prices and customers become more price sensitive for incremental licenses. On the positive side, new mobility features in Windows 10 will allow MobileIron to also manage notebooks, potentially expanding its addressable market.

Execution focused but light on details. Management was light on an action plan, but they did try to articulate steps taken in the past 2 months to get their arms around Q1's large revenue miss. The company has hired Simon Biddiscombe as interim CFO. He had previously been interim CFO at ServiceSource and CFO of QLogic. Management also announced that the head of sales, John Donnelly is leaving while Biddiscombe highlighted the push for better leverage from MobileIron�s sales and marketing organization. We would have liked to see more analysis of perpetual / monthly subscription / annual subscription trends that would give us more confidence around predictability of revenue. However, as stated previously in our 1Q15 earnings recap, we believe that the company lacks channel visibility on purchase decisions.

Revising estimates for lower OPEX. We are revising our EPS estimates for Q2, 2015 and 2016 on account of leverage the company hopes to get out of their sales and marketing organization. We are revising our Q2, FY15 and FY16 to ($0.28), ($0.86) and ($0.48) from ($0.29), ($0.91) and ($0.65) respectively.

Reiterate EW and $7 price target. The recent miss, management turnover, poor channel visibility and our proprietary research showing decreased customer focus on mobile security and increased price sensitivity lead us to suspect more bumps ahead. In turn, that could limit valuation to ~2.5x EV/16e rev for the foreseeable future. We think MOBL has the best mobile productivity solution in the market, but the lack of distribution control and the competitive environment makes fully exploiting that opportunity difficult.
    06-12-15 08:54 AM
    During the quiet period, as always, lots of negative rumors. All I would read is Blackberry response to the latest rumor.

"�We don�t comment on rumors and speculation, but we remain committed to the BlackBerry 10 operating system, which provides security and productivity benefits that are unmatched,� said the company in an email

Where does it say that BlackBerry leaving bb10?
    Blackberry already has an android+samsung tablet in the market. What is big deal if they have a phone version of that?
    BlackBerry is out there to make Money. What ever it takes but, they said that they are committed to BB10.

By. BlackBerry Passport User
    06-12-15 09:28 AM
    Thank You!!! will get at least 2 peoples back to Blackberry from Android
    OT

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...ctions-985344/
    Thanks Cobalt for that. Easy process. Can do it all on your device, no sideload needed. Note that this doesn't mean you have Google Services enabled.
    Superfly_FR, sidhuk, zyben and 1 others like this.
    06-12-15 09:49 AM
    Have to agree with you. I'd still have all of my BB10s even without an Android runtime. As for the stock and the BlackBerry handset division in general this seems like a good move.

Ultimately, I can see Android with BB10 skin for consumers and BB10 for govs, etc. So much work put into BlackBerry 10... was hoping with the Google partnership and BlackBerry securing their devices end to end as per BlackBerry that we'd just get BB10 with Google Play Store (with Google making a slight change in their TOS).

Should definitely help sales in that division and explain the cuts which I expected an explanation for during the CC anyway. Wasn't expecting a rumor tonight and was hoping to get in as cheap as possible.

Sorry guys, I've been burned and wanted to take a solid long position at the bottom around $9 even. Still not sure if this will act as a catalyst for tomorrow. Will be up early watching the premarket... seems intentional to put a floor on the stock price although I've been waiting for the $8 touch to go all in with all I have for the long haul.

Still plenty of shorts that may give another shot next week to get in low. I've realized it's actually difficult to own shares and be a fan of the devices at the same timel!

BES12, BBM, QNX, secusmart, movirtu, watchdox, positive cash to buy back... still extremely undervalued!

Posted via CB10
    I think you and Banff Moose have it right.

That said, I found a nice upward ramping graph of where we are at with EPS:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150612_094802.png
    rarsen, BanffMoose, zyben and 4 others like this.
    06-12-15 11:57 AM
    We're living in a crazy world ... lol
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    06-12-15 12:58 PM
    FWIW:
    BlackBerry, It’s Time to Make an Android Device Too
    https://n4bb.com/blackberry-time-android-device/
    06-12-15 01:34 PM
    FWIW:
    BlackBerry, It�s Time to Make an Android Device Too
    Thanks Corbu. V good article.

rarsen, bungaboy, Mr BBRY and 2 others like this.
    06-12-15 02:10 PM
    FWIW:
    BlackBerry, It’s Time to Make an Android Device Too
    I probably won't buy an Android phone anytime soon, but it might be cool if we can choose Android or BB10 on the initial setup.
    06-12-15 02:21 PM
    During the quiet period, as always, lots of negative rumors. All I would read is Blackberry response to the latest rumor.

"“We don’t comment on rumors and speculation, but we remain committed to the BlackBerry 10 operating system, which provides security and productivity benefits that are unmatched,” said the company in an email

Where does it say that BlackBerry leaving bb10?
    Blackberry already has an android+samsung tablet in the market. What is big deal if they have a phone version of that?
    BlackBerry is out there to make Money. What ever it takes but, they said that they are committed to BB10.

They were committed to the PlayBook and it running BB10 also.... things change, and what a company spokesman (even the CEO) say one month, can be very different from what takes place a month later.

No one really knows what is going on, so there is no reason to take this rumor as anything more than a rumor. But as the smoke seems to be building around this one... I'd keep an eye on it.
    sati01 and awindsr like this.
    06-12-15 02:32 PM
    They were committed to the PlayBook and it running BB10 also.... things change, and what a company spokesman (even the CEO) say one month, can be very different from what takes place a month later.

No one really knows what is going on, so there is no reason to take this rumor as anything more than a rumor. But as the smoke seems to be building around this one... I'd keep an eye on it.
    Thank God you are keeping an eye on it. Have a great weekend.

06-12-15 02:40 PM
    Jeez, so much panic and negativity going on! Maybe that's why it's good advice not to watch a stock every single day...gets some people nervous! I'm as happy today with my recent investment in BlackBerry as I was at the time. Chen isn't going to switch to Android or anything else if it's the wrong thing to do. People need to relax! On that note, have a great weekend everyone!

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE, CDM76, Superfly_FR and 3 others like this.
    06-12-15 02:43 PM
    Jeez, so much panic and negativity going on! Maybe that's why it's good advice not to watch a stock every single day...gets some people nervous! I'm as happy today with my recent investment in BlackBerry as I was at the time. Chen isn't going to switch to Android or anything else if it's the wrong thing to do. People need to relax! On that note, have a great weekend everyone!

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, over the 3+ years this tread has existed.... not much has changed. Very interesting to go back and time and see where the sentiment was back at different points in time.

And you are right. Chen is a smart businessman, any decision he makes is going to be for the long term good of the Company. Many here (CrackBerry - not necessary this tread) might not like it, the market may not initially like it - but Chen's concern is will the enterprise customer like it.
    06-12-15 03:16 PM
    Chen is a smart businessman, any decision he makes is going to be for the long term good of the Company. Many here (CrackBerry - not necessary this tread) might not like it, the market may not initially like it - but Chen's concern is will the enterprise customer like it.
    One could argue that adding a third non-compatible smartphone platform (BBOS, BB10, and Android) solves more of a short term problem but is not a good long term hardware strategy.
    CDM76 likes this.
    06-12-15 03:30 PM
    Just one last thought on the BB Android:

I bet BlackBerry will make their Android device compatible with other EMM products. Since the BB Android device security will be based on KNOX, that should be possible. That will make BlackBerry Android devices potentially eligible for BYOD programs no matter which MDM/EMM provider is used. If they can keep the BB security enhancements and SecuSmart options available only to BES, BlackBerry can add another layer of differentiation between BES-secured Android and all others. A BB10-skin/BB user experience on Android would help ease people over to BB10 if necessary.

I doubt BlackBerry will drop BB10 because BB10/BES is the gold standard for end-to-end security/privacy. Plus, there are a lot of synergies between BB10/BES/QNX/IoT/Movirtu/Workdox R&D. BES-managed BlackBerry Android would be the silver standard (because BlackBerry can make use of SecuSmart options) because those can be made more secure than other companies can achieve, and then generic-Android KNOX and iOS (along with MDM/EMM competitors) would fight it out for bronze (or the front row seat in the bleachers).

All that said, I really wanna see some real BB10 advancements and flagship full touch BB10 devices!!! The Z30 is almost 2 years old now!
    zyben, morganplus8, rarsen and 8 others like this.
    06-12-15 04:22 PM
    06-12-15 05:27 PM
    OT:
    For the motor racing fans out there...

In honour of the 83rd 24 Hours of Le Mans to be held over the weekend, how about an onboard lap of a Ford GT40 at the 1968 Le Mans…narrated by Sir Stirling Moss?

And this, on the glorious Ferrari 330 P4, from 1967?

And let me think of a way to bring it all back to the subject matter of this thread...

Well, Ford has announced that it will be back to Le Mans in 2016, with this:

QNX inside, baby!

Have a nice weekend!
    06-12-15 05:46 PM
    We are really getting all sorts of opinions on this latest rumour... which has been very widely covered around the world.

More food for thought with some interesting bits here:
    BlackBerry on Android? It makes perfect sense ? The Register

Secure, well-managed, compatible with apps – think about it

Analysis Four months ago, BlackBerry announced it was porting key features of its BlackBerry OS software to Android and iOS – stuff like its onscreen keyboard, Universal Search, and the notification Hub.

It was only a matter of time before word emerged of somebody actually grabbing this idea and running with it. The only surprise is that it’s BlackBerry itself.

Nobody outside China, except for Apple, makes money from making smartphones. Samsung lost a fortune last year. HTC has wiped out a year’s profits in just one quarter. And that’s when your operating system comes “for free.”

BlackBerry has shown that developing your own platform – particularly one that doesn’t ship in significant volumes and that nobody else uses – is very costly. Before BlackBerry OS 10 was launched two and a half years ago, BlackBerry’s then-CEO Thorsten Heins hinted at licensing the operating system. BB10 turned into a flop, and BlackBerry now has to license what it can. Which, nevertheless, turns out to be something quite substantial.

BlackBerry has been taking its wares and services cross-platform for some time; this made its huge investment in BB10 all the more hard to justify to the financial markets.

Today's CEO John Chen is one of the most frank, and possibly the wittiest, chief execs of any tech company, and he’s talked himself blue repeating the strategy: BlackBerry will continue to sell devices as long as it is profitable. But he’s been less emphatic about whether the phones will run BB10.

Of course, they don’t have to. Two years ago, German Chancellor Angela Merkel switched to a BlackBerry with SecuSmart providing the secure voice-call encryption. BlackBerry now owns SecuSmart, and it’s licensed for use in a new Samsung/IBM tablet. It isn’t hard to imagine BlackBerry software “hardened” with SecuSmart that runs on Android. BlackBerry has hinted at more collaboration with Samsung.

Playing devil’s advocate in Barcelona earlier this year, I asked BlackBerry executives at Mobile World Congress why they should bother investing in BlackBerry OS 10 at all, when anyone can license its components or use them on another OS?

It’s the sort of question you'd expect would provoke a long, detailed and passionate response: far away in the distance, on a high hill, is a shining city full of riches, and the road to it is marked "BB10." Unimaginably magnificent new capabilities would be added along the way, and so on.

But the answer I got was that BB10 needed maintenance work to run on newer chipsets. Ah.

That suggested to me that while BlackBerry wasn’t about to withdraw entirely from BB10, perhaps the Canadian company wanted a minimal footprint on the ground. A few engineers keeping the OS running on whatever hardware appears next out of the factory. A few military advisors, so to speak, while the rest of the troops battle on other fronts.

Chen’s expertise as a turnaround artist is in selling enterprise software. His impressive handpicked leadership team, including veterans from Sybase, knows this turf very well, much better than newcomers. The plan is to grow the software side into a $500m-a-year business.

“One thing that philosophically changed a lot from 16 months ago: we’re committed to making software as a business,” Chen told a gathering of analysts and press at MWC. “Our software technology roadmaps address everybody’s phones and everybody’s end points. An end point is more important than ‘phone’.”

The difficulty with developing on Android and iOS – assuming BB10 is gradually put into maintenance mode – is the dispersal of resources. That isn’t the only obstacle.

On Android, it would be easier to integrate Blackberry's software into the shell; the Hub would most likely be the shell. iOS is so locked down, the Hub would need to be a standalone app.

BB10 is pretty distinctive, and its portfolio of tools now quite rich; differentiating it from the pack of cheap ‘droids shouldn’t be difficult, particularly if it builds on an AOSP base and is free of the Google-ware. (Samsung has it own app store, and would surely be happy to help.)

Thanks to increasing concerns about internet security, the market is now taking this much more seriously. BlackBerry has a magic glue, its own network, that makes what would otherwise be me-too services much more compelling. It has a huge enterprise footprint already. There are worse places to be in the brutal world of phone hardware today than selling a secure, well managed, compatible-but-better Android to people who want a secure compatible well-managed phone. �

Bootnote

When I asked how BlackBerry would flog its BlackBerry Productivity Suite – the bit that makes an Android look like a BlackBerry – they told me the price or go-to-market strategy hadn’t been decided yet. It was still under discussion.
    06-12-15 07:15 PM
    Just one last thought on the BB Android:

I bet BlackBerry will make their Android device compatible with other EMM products. Since the BB Android device security will be based on KNOX, that should be possible. That will make BlackBerry Android devices potentially eligible for BYOD programs no matter which MDM/EMM provider is used. If they can keep the BB security enhancements and SecuSmart options available only to BES, BlackBerry can add another layer of differentiation between BES-secured Android and all others. A BB10-skin/BB user experience on Android would help ease people over to BB10 if necessary.

I doubt BlackBerry will drop BB10 because BB10/BES is the gold standard for end-to-end security/privacy. Plus, there are a lot of synergies between BB10/BES/QNX/IoT/Movirtu/Workdox R&D. BES-managed BlackBerry Android would be the silver standard (because BlackBerry can make use of SecuSmart options) because those can be made more secure than other companies can achieve, and then generic-Android KNOX and iOS (along with MDM/EMM competitors) would fight it out for bronze (or the front row seat in the bleachers).

All that said, I really wanna see some real BB10 advancements and flagship full touch BB10 devices!!! The Z30 is almost 2 years old now!
    I like how you connected some dots and laid out a simple structure. Sounds plausible. You must be an IT guy.
    Admittedly, I was a bit cold at first, but thinking along the same lines as your argument, I definitely see huge growth potential here.

Hearty weekend! Virtual ferments for all the knights of the round table.
    06-12-15 07:55 PM
    06-12-15 08:32 PM
113,256 ... 34063407340834093410 ...