View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    A dividend payout vs adding that amount to buyout share price would screw my LEAPS.

Why not just make it $17/sh vs $12/sh + $5 dividend?
    05-25-15 02:52 PM
    A dividend payout vs adding that amount to buyout share price would screw my LEAPS.

It would also screw my options, but this would never happen. I have never seen this happen before in a take over

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 04:06 PM
    Are we giving up on BlackBerry surviving as an independent company? I hope they have time to release another version of the Passport before they throw up the white flag.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 04:14 PM
    BlackBerry's restructuring won't do much for valuation: portfolio manager - BNN News

BlackBerry�s turnaround strategy continues to unfold, and has quietly slashed more jobs in its smartphone division.

BlackBerry has not given out the numbers but in a statement released on Friday night says it is consolidating its software, hardware and application businesses.

This company�s success will still be dependent on how many people are using its software and hardware. But its restructuring efforts won�t help BlackBerry�s battered valuation, according to Colin Stewart, CEO & Portfolio Manager at JC Clark Investments.

�Anytime you�re in an industry typically characterized by growth and they are constantly reducing costs, it�s not a good sign,� Stewart tells BNN�s Paul Bagnell.

�[BlackBerry] has the potential to maximize earnings and cash flow in the short term, but this company�s success is going to be largely dependent on how many users they have and how many people want to use their hardware and software.�

While all the signs scream for a great opportunity to short BlackBerry, Stewart isn�t shorting the stock.

�The issue with some of these turnarounds is M&A risk,� he says. �If the turnaround fails, it is possible that someone could acquire all or a portion of the company and this could lead to material appreciation in the stock.�
    Plus Amber in the second video...
    morganplus8, jxnb, rarsen and 6 others like this.
    05-25-15 04:18 PM

I assume you are serious so I'll explain what happens to stocks that pay dividends. The value of the stock, after the halt is lifted, would be the stock price of $ 12.00 plus the dividend. Why? Because the holders of common shares are the only ones that have a right to the dividend. Simple. After a dividend is paid, the stock will drop by that amount. This happens all the time. So the company buying BlackBerry would be saddled with the $ 12.00 cost of the common share and BB would issue the dividend. If this offer were made and the stock traded below $ 17.00, the whole world would buy common shares until it hit $ 17.00 a share.

The reason you do this is to provide a sweetener for shareholders in terms of a tax break. Instead of a $ 17.00 stock price and the capital gains from that price, you would receive your gain in dividends and pay much less in taxes on that gain. This happens so often when companies like Apple get purchased, they pay out the cash and let the purchase go through at a lower price. Can you imagine trying to buy Apple for its stock value and their cash? Now that is crazy thinking there isn't it? Of course you would only be interested in the stock not the cash.
    Corbu, sidhuk, jxnb and 8 others like this.
    05-25-15 04:19 PM
    Are we giving up on BlackBerry surviving as an independent company? I hope they have time to release another version of the Passport before they throw up the white flag.

Posted via CB10
    I still think this hardware downsizing means more outsourcing to samsung / Foxconn or OS licensing. Getting rid of some hardware guys and OS app guys, I doubt they are cutting much from OS dev.

I'm predicting a joint announcement from BlackBerry and Samsung around June 5.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 04:30 PM
    I assume you are serious so I'll explain what happens to stocks that pay dividends. The value of the stock, after the halt is lifted, would be the stock price of $ 12.00 plus the dividend. Why? Because the holders of common shares are the only ones that have a right to the dividend. Simple. After a dividend is paid, the stock will drop by that amount. This happens all the time. So the company buying BlackBerry would be saddled with the $ 12.00 cost of the common share and BB would issue the dividend. If this offer were made and the stock traded below $ 17.00, the whole world would buy common shares until it hit $ 17.00 a share.

The reason you do this is to provide a sweetener for shareholders in terms of a tax break. Instead of a $ 17.00 stock price and the capital gains from that price, you would receive your gain in dividends and pay much less in taxes on that gain. This happens so often when companies like Apple get purchased, they pay out the cash and let the purchase go through at a lower price. Can you imagine trying to buy Apple for its stock value and their cash? Now that is crazy thinking there isn't it? Of course you would only be interested in the stock not the cash.
    So would ALL options value for all options, any expiring beyond the closing date, with strike under $17, be selling for just slightly lower than $17? Options would be settled on the transaction closing date?

I know that dividends don't pay out on options so wondering how that would value the options in such a scenario.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 04:39 PM
    So would ALL options value for all options, any expiring beyond the closing date, with strike under $17, be selling for just slightly lower than $17? Options would be settled on the transaction closing date?

I know that dividends don't pay out on options so wondering how that would value the options in such a scenario.

Posted via CB10
    You have it, all call options, leaps, ... and ..... those convertible bonds owned by Prem, would be adjusted to the $ 17.00 equivalent price until that dividend is paid out. After shareholders, or those who "could be shareholders of common stock" (by exercising their options, leaps and bonds), would be in a position to exercise those instruments and take advantage of the dividend. Because you own something that converts into common stock, you will be treated as if you own common stock. Let's suppose you think that Apple will make a counter bid sometime after that dividend date, you sure as heck better convert your instruments into common stock prior to the ex-dividend date or you will miss out on that important dividend by refusing to hold common stock. And so if you think this play could go higher, convert your leap into stock and continue to wait. Most investors will think this offer is likely the best and cash in their options, leaps and bonds. For instance, Prem will not only be getting $ 17.00 like everyone else, he might save another dollar a share in taxes so, to him at least, it is worth $ 18.00/shr and that is how cheaper buy-outs occur, large shareholders are able to do more with less. In any case, for at least 6 weeks, the stock will trade very close to $ 17.00 with a slight discount to the MM's who buy up stock below the target price only to have the deal collapse.

As a leap owner, you will have weeks to decide if you want out now at the $ 17.00 equivalent, or, if you truly think another offer is coming, you had better take up the common stock from those leaps and be in a position to get the dividend and whatever else might come along. Companies make offers to buy voting stock, they don't care about stock options, leaps or bonds, therefore it is your responsibility to look after your position and do something smart prior to the ex-dividend date. Hope this helps!
    jxnb, rarsen, bungaboy and 9 others like this.
    05-25-15 05:00 PM
    There sure is a heck of a lot of energy going into Hypothetical Buy Out rumours and internal BlackBerry Operational Re-Structuring Memos that nobody in this thread is privy to.

I ain't ready for the Chicken Little Cha Cha Cha yet.
    05-25-15 06:03 PM
    There sure is a heck of a lot of energy going into Hypothetical Buy Out rumours and internal BlackBerry Operational Re-Structuring Memos that nobody in this thread is privy to.

Funny Bunga!
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-25-15 06:38 PM
    Funny Bunga!
    Nah! Old and cranky! LoL

(and Rangers lost last night )
    rarsen, jxnb, Greened and 5 others like this.
    05-25-15 06:59 PM

I hear ya. Let's keep the buyout rumours hypothetical. I'm not done with this fight until Apple is begging BlackBerry for a partnership and American media (and want-to-be-American-media like G&M) are publishing "BlackBerry; the Phoenix has Risen" stories.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, Corbu, 3MIKE and 10 others like this.
    05-25-15 07:00 PM
    I hear ya. Let's keep the buyout rumours hypothetical. I'm not done with this fight until Apple is begging BlackBerry for a partnership and American media (and want-to-be-American-media like G&M) are publishing "BlackBerry; the Phoenix has Risen" stories.

Posted via CB10
    High Five!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-magic-high-five.png
    05-25-15 07:10 PM
    Nah! Old and cranky! LoL

Reading all these post's reminds me of an old butcher shop.

Lol
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-25-15 07:15 PM
    Reading all these post's reminds me of an old butcher shop.

Lol
    Or old Barber Shop. LoL
    Mr BBRY likes this.
    05-25-15 07:27 PM

Well bungaboy...yep there is a bit of this and that...not much else to talk about while we wait for news...and Chen's gladiator software....haha

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-25-15 08:25 PM
    Well bungaboy...yep there is a bit of this and that...not much else to talk about while we wait for news...and Chen's gladiator software....haha

Posted via CB10
    How about the slider? I can't hardly wait

#BBFactCheck
    05-25-15 08:58 PM
    Completely OT. My apologies:
    RIP John Nash

John Nash and the Beautiful Email - The Daily Fix - WSJ

I only had one interaction with the genius mathematician John Nash. It was about the NCAA tournament.

Earlier this year, while reporting a story about using game theory to predict the outcome of basketball games, I thought it might be useful to ask for some ideas from Nash, who died Saturday in a car crash. After all, Nash was a godfather of game theory, winning the Nobel Prize in 1994 for his groundbreaking research into non-cooperative games. But that wasn�t the only reason to contact Nash. He was also a student and math professor at Princeton�which happens to be the Ivy League school with the most NCAA tournament appearances. If there were anyone who might know something about game theory and basketball games, John Nash seemed like a good place to start.

But first I had to track him down. Nash was 86 years old. I didn�t know if he was still coming to Princeton�s campus or whether he was even healthy, and I didn�t want to bother him about basketball if I didn�t have to. I had some time, though, so I wrote a letter to his office in Fine Hall. I decided to fax it, too, which forced me to figure out how to work a fax machine.

Not long afterward, though, I was reading an old article about Nash and saw something that surprised me: He had been emailing with other mathematicians since 1990. I tracked down what I thought was his email address�a crazy string of seemingly nonsensical letters followed by princeton.edu�and fired off the same long-shot questions that I had faxed him.

Did he fill out an NCAA tournament bracket? Or had he ever calculated the optimal strategies for doing so?

I closed my computer. It was a Saturday afternoon, and I wasn�t expecting to hear back that day, if ever.

John Nash emailed me back one hour later.

�Dear Mr. Cohen,� he wrote.

�I am aware of the efforts that have been involved with studying sports games applying the methods of the game theory of noncooperative games. I have not ever, myself, been involved in a specific study of that sort. But I was involved in a study of �A Simple Three-Person Poker Game.� Also there was an early group that informally studied what was called �So Long, Sucker,� which was more modelled on financial/entrepreneurial activities of individual �players.�

�So I guess I am myself pretty far from being the sort of person who would �fill out an NCAA tournament bracket.�

�Yours Truly, John F. Nash, Jr.�

It was a beautiful email. It showed that Nash really was smarter than all of us: He was brilliant enough that he knew not to try to predict the NCAA tournament.
    05-25-15 09:00 PM
    Nah! Old and cranky! LoL

Go bolts!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 10:15 PM
    Not trolling but I think all these rumours should taken with a grain a salt. It's troubling that the same rumour that came out a few weeks ago is back out, just recycled with new info (job cuts) and republished. Any XYZ blog can publish something and it's sad that the stocks moves up or down because of it.
    No troll taken. Hopefully even the newbies will understand the tone of the post to include a large virtual wink.

Like others' have said, we all just post the links. Salt shaker sold separately.

I was just thinking. What if Tim Hortons bought'out BlackBerry?
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 05-25-15 at 11:47 PM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-25-15 10:58 PM
    Go bolts!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 06:18 AM
    No troll taken. Hopefully even the newbies will understand the tone of the post to include a large virtual wink.

Like others' have said, we all just post the links. Salt shaker sold separately.

I was just thinking. What if Tim Hortons bought'out BlackBerry?

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bb-doughnut.jpg
    Corbu, sidhuk, 3MIKE and 1 others like this.
    05-26-15 06:22 AM
    Remember this?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3...l#post11616096

The video is now out.

Published on May 21, 2015
    The Greater KW Chamber of Commerce hosted BlackBerry CEO John Chen for a special luncheon on May 5th with nearly 400 community builders and supporters in attendance. It was an outstanding and candid discussion between John and Chamber CEO Ian McLean. Thank you to BlackBerry and John Chen for taking the time to come and speak with us.
    Must watch, as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Corbu; 05-26-15 at 07:23 AM.
    05-26-15 07:04 AM
    Free BBM Voice calls in UAE? BlackBerry says working on it

Free BBM Voice calls in UAE? BlackBerry says working on it - Emirates 24|7
    05-26-15 07:32 AM
    Leap?

BlackBerry is the top-selling smartphone in SA

BlackBerry is the top-selling smartphone in SA | Destiny Man
    morganplus8, rarsen, Corbu and 9 others like this.
    05-26-15 07:51 AM
113,256 ... 33823383338433853386 ...