View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    FUD!!! I won't even quote source or link for these FUDDERS!

What a joke!!!
    ... You said you want a joke?

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-wall-huggers_edit.jpg
    05-24-15 02:29 PM
    Are you sure this is the right course of action, bunga?

After all, this priceless and breaking news is coming for the acclaimed and reputable "David"!

I wonder what Bill has to say about BlackBerry's future.

bungaboy, morganplus8 and zyben like this.
    05-24-15 02:30 PM
    Are you sure this is the right course of action, bunga?

After all, this priceless and breaking news is coming for the acclaimed and reputable "David"!

I wonder what Bill has to say about BlackBerry's future.

And Tom, **** ( "short for Richard") and Harry.
    Corbu and zyben like this.
    05-24-15 02:49 PM
    More FUD!!!

BlackBerry slashes smartphone workforce

Chris Davies
    May 24, 2015
    Not a word of exactly how many jobs were "slashed"!!! FUDDERS!!!
    Corbu, CDM76, sidhuk and 1 others like this.
    05-24-15 03:16 PM
    What sensationalism!!! FUDDERS!!!

BlackBerry plans to cut jobs globally amid takeover rumours
    Big News Network
    ONTARIO, Canada - Canadian smartphone manufacturer BlackBerry has announced it is cutting jobs across its global business units in an attempt to ...
    Corbu, sidhuk and zyben like this.
    05-24-15 03:56 PM

What a joke!!!
    Please give us a link bungaboy. This way it can be brought to BlackBerry's attention and the site can be burnt well.

Tim Smith from my Z10 on Rogers
    05-24-15 04:55 PM
    Well if y'all didn't like my wall-hugger distraction from the latest FUD, here is another shot:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/23/d...get+(Engadget)

The future of QNX, in the auto world. These cars can't be powered by anything else, with life safety in mind.
    Just a matter of time until we hear it....
    05-24-15 05:13 PM
    Regarding the workforce slashing..

One simple Google search will show that BlackBerry is hiring, a total of 200 jobs across the world, actually. You would think these journalists would actually spend 5 minutes of their precious time to look into the matter and provide a well rounded article.

The FUD continues..

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 05:26 PM
    Please give us a link bungaboy. This way it can be brought to BlackBerry's attention and the site can be burnt well.

Tim Smith from my Z10 on Rogers
    Blackberry Lays Off Thousands Worldwide | WKRB News - WKRB News

About

WKRB News was founded in 1993 as a local media outlet. While our format has changed over the years, our mission hasn’t–to cover a wide range of business, technology, world, political and sports news. We primarily report on the latest news and events in Salt Lake City and the tri-state area (Northern Utah, Western Wyoming and Southern Idaho). We also cover stores of national and international importance.

WKRB News is are always looking for contributors. If you are interested in contributing an article to WKRB News, please send your submission to [email protected]. Please follow AP style as closely as possible. We will respond within 24 hours. Any submissions will be edited and returned to you for final approval prior to being published.

Contact

Our editorial team can be contacted via email at [email protected]

WKRB News
    1302 Jackson Ave.
    Ogden, UT 84201
    (801) 430-9132
    05-24-15 05:46 PM
    WKRB?

For a minute, I though it was WKRP...

There are various forms of FUD. Could someone remind me of the last time a "Book Excerpt" of any kind made it three consecutive days (and perhaps even four, since I suspect it will be there tomorrow on account of the long weekend) on the WSJ's front page? I frankly have never seen that.

The Inside Story of How the iPhone Crippled BlackBerry - WSJ

Facebooked 2,100 times and Twittered 1,083 times. That is considerably more than for any book reviewed by the WSJ...

Part of me finds the whole thing strange.

Plus 123 comments. Some of which are pretty good, I must say.

Zoltan Strebely
    As I see it the choice is between an optimized communication device and a toy.
    05-24-15 06:34 PM
    From the Related Technologies files. Even without buying the proposed Report, the resume of information is of general interest:

Connected car statistics, manufacturers - Business Insider
    05-24-15 06:42 PM
    And from the NYT, jumping on the bandwagon:
    http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/0...ackberry/?_r=0

BOOK CHAT
    Behind the Downfall at BlackBerry

By IAN AUSTEN MAY 24, 2015 6:00 PM May 24, 2015 6:00 pm

Ever since Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis stepped down as co-chairmen and co-chief executives of BlackBerry, neither has spoken much in public about the once-dominant smartphone maker’s fall into near market obscurity. The two and many others have opened up, however, to two reporters from The Globe and Mail in Toronto: Jacquie McNish, a senior business writer and author of several books and Sean Silcoff, who reports about the company. The resulting book, “Losing the Signal: The Untold Story Behind the Extraordinary Rise and Spectacular Fall of BlackBerry,” which will be published in the United States on Tuesday, fills in some details of the early history of BlackBerry. And its later chapters offer gripping details about the emotional and business turmoil surrounding its near collapse.

Q.
    How did you gain what seems like extensive access to Mr. Lazardis and Mr. Balsillie?

A.
    Ms. McNish: Sean opened the door in 2013 when we were doing a long-simmering investigation into the company. Up until that point, Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis were very frustrated with the common narrative and they were willing to tell a much more complex story.

At times, Sean and I felt like we were therapists. We interviewed 120 people and I think the vast majority of them have some form of post-traumatic stress syndrome.

Q.
    What was their initial reaction to the iPhone?

A.
    Mr. Silcoff: It was an interesting contrast to the team at Google, which was working on smartphones at the time. Google seemed to realize immediately that the world had changed and scrapped its keyboard plans.

At BlackBerry, they sort of dismissed the need to do anything about it in the short term.

Ms. McNish: One thing that they misunderstood is how the game had changed when AT&T announced its deal with Apple. BlackBerry had built its whole business model on offering carriers products that worked efficiently on their networks.

The first thing Mike Lazaridis said when he saw an iPhone at home is that this will never work, the network can’t sustain it. What they misunderstood is that the consumer demand would make carriers invest in their networks.

Q.
    Verizon’s need for an alternative to the iPhone, which was sold exclusively by AT&T at first, forced BlackBerry into the touchscreen business. Why was the result, the BlackBerry Storm, a technical and sales disaster?

A.
    Mr. Silcoff: Verizon presented them with a very tight deadline to deliver a touch screen. It was very early times for touchscreens and it wasn’t clear that the iPhone would end up as the model for the market.

Mike Lazaridis hated typing on glass, so he came up with a new vision for glass that required users to push on it. That combined with the deadline and an inadequate operating system meant that there were a lot of long odds going against BlackBerry.

It was their biggest order ever. But when the Storm came out late and buggy for Thanksgiving 2008, what they hoped would be the next big move was disaster for the company.

Ms. McNish: One of the big reveals for us in the book was the enormous power wielded by carriers in the smartphone race. Verizon pushed BlackBerry to deliver its touchscreen Storm phone in little more than a year and when the rushed product failed, Verizon demanded $500 million to recover its losses. BlackBerry balked at the big ask, but in the end shouldered more than $100 million in repairs and other benefits.

In the wake of Apple’s ascendency, carriers have seen their clout and economic value significantly diminished as customers spend more of their smartphone money on Apple phones, apps and other content than they do on carrier bills. It is one of the greatest wealth transfers our generation.

Q.
    Although it was phone purchases by consumers that brought BlackBerry to its peak, did the company ever understand that segment of its business?

A.
    Ms. McNish: David Yach, the former chief technology officer, said that he learned in retrospect that beauty mattered, fun mattered. That was so antithetical to BlackBerry. It was aimed at efficiency, security and all the practical things people in the biz world want.

Q.
    What do you see for the company they left behind for John Chen, the company’s current chief executive?

A.
    Ms. McNish: Their biggest investor is a long term player — they are not looking for a quick fix.

And they have time, in part because of BlackBerry’s legacy of very prudent fiscal management.

Mr. Silcoff: John Chen has a tall order on his hands. Their revenues are still falling there’s no clear indication yet that the world needs more BlackBerry phones. He has an ambitious plan but he has yet to show that his software will start delivering hundreds of millions of dollars in in new revenues.

This was a company that had $20 billion in revenue and changed the way we communicated. It’s not likely we’ll see that lightning strike again.
    Aren't we glad we can all benefit from Ms. McNish's and Mr. Silcoff's enlightened wisdom? After all, their business track record speaks for itself. Oh no, I'm mistaken since "at times, they felt like they were therapists". Let me send them a thank you card.
    05-24-15 06:42 PM
    WKRB?

For a minute, I though it was WKRP...

There are various forms of FUD. Could someone remind me of the last time a "Book Excerpt" of any kind made it three consecutive days (and perhaps even four, since I suspect it will be there tomorrow on account of the long weekend) on the WSJ's front page? I frankly have never seen that.

The Inside Story of How the iPhone Crippled BlackBerry - WSJ

Facebooked 2,100 times and Twittered 1,083 times. That is considerably more than for any book reviewed by the WSJ...

Part of me finds the whole thing strange.

Plus 123 comments. Some of which are pretty good, I must say.
    This is not FUD!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-vlcsnap-2014-10-08-22h50m02s176.png
    Corbu, rarsen, 3MIKE and 2 others like this.
    05-24-15 07:01 PM
    05-24-15 07:07 PM
    From the Related Technologies files. Even without buying the proposed Report, the resume of information is of general interest:

Connected car statistics, manufacturers - Business Insider
    Interesting read !!! Nice to see BlackBerry in there looks like is a market that is going to have some growling pains over the next couple years. Lots of potential for the companies that have the right approach. Once a company is out of that market (from platform standpoint) It will be virtually impossible to get back in.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CDM76; 05-25-15 at 12:51 AM.
    05-24-15 07:50 PM
    Certain things/news about BlackBerry, are media's news inventory. Media knows that time is running out before they can cash on certain things by filling out empty space before it expires.
    Kudos to JC who created this situation.
    After all. Media has to make their living some how. But it is a low life bottom trawler for sure. Won't be for long.

By. BlackBerry Passport User
    05-24-15 08:08 PM
    05-24-15 09:12 PM
    BlackBerry launches Leap in UAE: Will the new device help it bounce back? - Emirates 24|7

Canadian smartphones manufacturer BlackBerry Limited yesterday announced the availability of its latest device, the BlackBerry Leap, in the UAE.

“We are targeting the ‘young communicators’ that are seeking an affordable, all-touch smartphone as well as productivity, security and privacy. It also targets the enterprise segment, which is looking for something affordable yet productive,” Mike Al Mefleh, ‎Senior Director for Product Management and Platform, Software and Services at BlackBerry Middle East, North Africa and Turkey, told Emirates 24|7.

The new mid-segment device will be available for Dh1,099 at most leading retailers in the UAE, including the BlackBerry Store at the Dubai Mall, he said.

The new BlackBerry phone will be available in two colours – shadow grey and white – in the UAE. The five-inch all-touch smartphone boasts long battery life and virtual keyboard.

“There is a reason we called it the Leap,” said Al Mefleh. “It targets the young communicators who have a mission and an aspiration to get somewhere… they’re leaping in their life… they’re looking for something to be productive to get ahead,” he said.

“The Leap targets the power communicators – it’s the younger generation… they’re aspirational and they are looking for some affordable smartphone that can address their need for productivity and security,” he added.

The Leap is BlackBerry’s first major release this year. It unveiled BlackBerry Passport in September last year, which was pegged as BlackBerry’s ‘passport’ to profitability. The company then launched the Classic in December 2014.

After a gap of two rather long years, BlackBerry finally announced in March this year that it was back in black in the latest quarterly results.

With things beginning to look a little positive on the financial side, can the Leap help BlackBerry bounce back from near oblivion?

Once the dominant player in global smartphones domain, BlackBerry lost its leadership position to Apple and Samsung, who remain the top players today.

“We aim to continue to offer a balance in our portfolio, and we will continue to bring more and more in terms of deliverables,” says Al Mefleh.

The Leap’s UAE launch also coincided with news that, in its quest for efficiency, BlackBerry will be shedding an unspecified number of jobs. We asked Al Mefleh if this region will be impacted.

“I really cannot comment on specifics but yes, the company continues to look at efficiencies and turn things around, and continue to grow in different areas and continue to look to be efficient in different areas,” he said.

“This [job losses] is just a global initiative – it does not specify areas or regions, etc.” he added.

Led by John S. Chen, a Hong Kong-born British-American, BlackBerry is now in Year 2 of its two-year turnaround strategy. “In the past few years, we have a strategy in place; the company is working on turning things around,” said Al Mefleh.

“The latest quarter has been announced with a profit. We continue to make good progress; performance continues to improve, and we continue to provide a balanced portfolio and we continue to offer different software and services in the marketplace,” he said.

At the same time, the Canadian company remains cash-rich too. “We have a good [amount of] cash in the bank – very healthy cash – and we continue to acquire companies to help our future strategy… based on what’s been said by our executive leadership. This is the strategy in place to turn the company around,” he added.

“Our strategy has identified our focus, which are the four pillars: Devices (hardware – smartphones), Enterprise (security across platforms), Messaging (BBM and different services) and Platform (QNX),” he said.

Asked if the focus will be on premium devices (Passport, Classic) or mid-segment (Leap), Al Mefleh said that the company will continue to focus on both. “We will continue to focus on both segments – we have business in both segments. The enterprise is part of our DNA, our strength – that’s where we will continue to grow, do well, introduce different services and security enhancements and across platforms to be utilising and services we can provide. Also consumer segment – Leap targets both,” he said.

BlackBerry Leap features the latest BlackBerry 10.3.1 operating system, an edge-to-edge five-inch HD display and claims more than a full day’s battery power (25 hours).
    CDM76, bungaboy, rarsen and 5 others like this.
    05-24-15 10:30 PM
    I support BlackBerry always I order all accessories from shopblackberry.com still use my Q 10 my PlayBook and now I have The Leap and all is well and perfect thank u BlackBerry and crackberry

Posted via CB10
    zyben likes this.
    05-25-15 04:14 AM
    More FUD from the FUDDERS!

Blackberry Acquisition: Apple, Microsoft, Xiaomi & Lenovo Are In $7B Acquisition Race - Reports
    Trak.in (blog)
    As per reports coming in from various sources, companies such as Apple, Microsoft, Xiaomi, Huawei and Lenovo are making plans to acquire this ...
    BUNK! Absolute BUNK!
    CDM76, sidhuk, zyben and 1 others like this.
    05-25-15 05:24 AM
    How can you taker these jokers seriously when they cant even write a headline!

BlackBerry To Maker Further Job Cuts
    Geeky Gadgets
    Smartphone maker BlackBerry has announced that it is making further jobs cuts, the majority of which will be in the company's devices business.
    zyben likes this.
    05-25-15 05:40 AM
    Guys, job cuts are real. We'll probably hear in ER. But. We lost some 600 to 800 jobs. This obviously means classic, leap, passport aren't bringing in enough revenue to necessitate job cuts.

But it also means BlackBerry is shifting more and more hardware side to the likes of Samsung, Foxconn and doesn't require as many people in that division.

Two offices were also closed

I guess reduction of 600 or so jobs would save BlackBerry about $35M in yearly payroll. Though they'd probably take one time charge for severance pay etc.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76, rarsen, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    05-25-15 08:14 AM
    Guys, job cuts are real. We'll probably hear in ER. But. We lost some 600 to 800. This obviously means classic, leap, passport aren't bringing in enough revenue

But it also means BlackBerry is shifting more and more hardware side to the likes of Samsung, Foxconn and doesn't require as many people in that division.

Posted via CB10
    Source please?

05-25-15 08:16 AM
    Source please?

Can't say.
    We'll hear in ER, I am sure.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 08:26 AM
    We lost some 600 to 800 jobs. This obviously means classic, leap, passport aren't bringing in enough revenue to necessitate job cuts.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry but these two sentences seem contradictory. Can you clarify ?

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 08:35 AM
113,256 ... 33803381338233833384 ...