View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I hope this just means they formed an even stronger partnership with Samsung to outsource the device design. Maybe Samsung will start building their flagships with BB10 OS or Android OS customer chooses (regulated industries option for BB10 security).
    I have maintained for some time this makes sense for hardware centric companies (ie Samsung) to do this if they want to supply to government and other regulated industries.

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    05-23-15 09:58 AM
    Monaco GP qualifying:

05-23-15 12:32 PM
    Thread cleaned, bottoms spanked. Now onward and upward with the thread topic ... and only the thread topic.

Please.

Thank you.
    FYI.... I was not involved this time !!

Nice to see mods in action and cleaning up quickly in this thread...

(BTW, I'm typing this while standing... )
    Last edited by BACK-2-BLACK; 05-23-15 at 12:51 PM.
    CDM76, 3MIKE, Superfly_FR and 1 others like this.
    05-23-15 12:32 PM
    The WSJ's take on things:
    BlackBerry to Lay Off Undisclosed Number of Employees in Device Business - WSJ

BlackBerry to Lay Off Undisclosed Number of Employees in Device Business
    Arm focused on development of smartphone software, applications to be affected

By BEN DUMMETT
    May 22, 2015 9:46 p.m. ET

BlackBerry Ltd. said Friday it is laying off an undisclosed number of employees in its device business including those focused on development of smartphone software and applications.

The move is part of the company’s goal of boosting sales of higher margin mobile-management and security software to reignite growth, it said.

The layoffs come after the struggling smartphone maker, which employs about 7,000 people globally, said in April it was considering closing its offices in Sweden, in a move that would put as many as 100 employees out of work. A BlackBerry spokeswoman Friday declined to confirm if the layoffs in Sweden have taken place and if so if they were part of the latest cuts.

The job cuts, which affect BlackBerry’s operations globally, underscore the pressure the company faces to keep costs down while it tries to win back its traditional corporate and government customers following a failed attempt in 2013 to compete against Apple Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co. in the consumer smartphone market.

BlackBerry remains committed to the device business, having released since September a string of new smartphones aimed at professionals with more planned for this year. But the Waterloo, Ontario, company is increasingly betting on new mobile software aimed at fostering worker productivity and security for BlackBerrys, Apple iPhones, and devices powered by Google Inc.’s Android and other operating systems.

Still, BlackBerry’s revenue for its fiscal fourth quarter ended Feb. 28 fell 32% and the company cautioned then that it didn’t expect sales of its key new device-management software, which was launched in November, to pick up until the second half of the company’s current fiscal year.

“Our intention is to reallocate resources in ways that will best enable us to capitalize on growth opportunities while driving toward sustainable profitability across all facets of our business,” BlackBerry said in a statement announcing the planned layoffs.

BlackBerry said that it plans to ramp up its sales and marketing effort, targeting partnerships and new hires as part of this effort.
    zyben likes this.
    05-23-15 01:45 PM
    Prem Watsa bio in the Financial Post:

At home Watsa is sticking with his contrarian streak, favouring the out-of-favour underdogs. Fairfax owns nine per cent of shares in the beleaguered BlackBerry Ltd. Asked at the Horatio Alger lunch whether he uses one of the devices himself, Watsa throws out his chest and asks �Does the sun rise in the east?� He pulls a BlackBerry Passport from his inside vest pocket.

�It�s beautiful. It�s the only one you should use for heaven�s sake. What phone do you have? An iPhone? � This is safer, it�s got a 24-hour battery, and a beautiful screen. I really like it. �

Fairfax Financial Ltd chief Prem Watsa tells his 'Horatio Alger' story | Financial Post
    bungaboy, kadakn01, jxnb and 17 others like this.
    05-23-15 02:03 PM
    I am told about 600 to 800 were laid off and two offices closed.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen and Bacon Munchers like this.
    05-23-15 02:35 PM
    Thanks. A good read.
    sidhuk, Corbu, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    05-23-15 02:38 PM
    I hope this just means they formed an even stronger partnership with Samsung to outsource the device design. Maybe Samsung will start building their flagships with BB10 OS or Android OS customer chooses (regulated industries option for BB10 security).
    My thoughts are that BlackBerry is not reducing the device side, rather, increasing the software side; along with some house cleaning. This may sound obvious to residents of this thread, but the ignorant masses may run with bearish stories until we have clarification this week.

We are seeing a super exciting road ahead being built here. Sometimes I see expressions in Chen's face during interviews that reminds me of when Sylester had tweetie bird in his mouth. He just can't say too much....

BTW - I think U.S. Stock market is closed Monday.
    05-23-15 04:24 PM
    I'm hoping that this is what the slider is all about. And I hope it gets preferred display locations. In best buy and Verizon and everywhere else.

But will it be branded blackberry or Samsung our Co branded.

Posted via CB10
    zyben likes this.
    05-23-15 05:39 PM
    OT, but needs to be said...the largest Apple pumper Analyst says the watch is a fail:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...ictions-2015-5

Bet you wish you could reply ...life is hard sometimes.

Classically Posted.
    05-23-15 05:55 PM
    OT, but not really...can you imagine a better, more sexy...pure brilliant form of getting your name noticed:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-facebook-20150523-170418.png

Classically Posted.
    05-23-15 06:06 PM
    Before life takes over and I get busy (again)_...and forget (again)...

Happy Memorial Day to all our US friends.

Classically Posted.
    Corbu, Superfly_FR, rarsen and 8 others like this.
    05-23-15 06:39 PM
    OT, but not really...can you imagine a better, more sexy...pure brilliant form of getting your name noticed:
    05-23-15 06:52 PM
    Lol...do tell.

Classically Posted.
    05-23-15 07:07 PM
    Does anyone else think QNX' home page should now reside on wordpress.com and have it's own tab for their blog (currently and horribly being hosted by Google's Blogspot servers) in unison for with the DevBlog, Inside BB Blog, and BizBlog's?!!

Also I think it would gravitate more readership and understanding in a positive light for QNX ... as a 'coming out' party, like the big secret is out.
    Except for WP choice, yes. They - as any BlackBerry subsidiary - should live under the same visual identity.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    05-23-15 07:11 PM
    Except for WP choice, yes. They - as any BlackBerry subsidiary - should live under the same visual identity.
    PSST ... Inside BB, BizBlog, HelpBlog, DevBlog .. all live under wordpress and have since almost the beginning of launch date.

Why it’s in the Showcase: BlackBerry is one of the world’s most recognizable technology brands and the company’s decision to use WordPress to power its official blog is notable.
    Source: https://wordpress.org/showcase/inside-blackberry/
    05-23-15 07:25 PM
    OT, but needs to be said...the largest Apple pumper Analyst says the watch is a fail:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...ictions-2015-5

Bet you wish you could reply ...life is hard sometimes.

Classically Posted.
    What do you mean? Dare to elaborate?

By. BlackBerry Passport User
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-23-15 07:32 PM
    S_F1 : For a security company, using WP is not the choice I'll made ... that's what I meant ... but it's :
    1/ Late (2:32 AM)
    2/ Not thirsty anymore (loaol)
    3/ Mhooooooo

nite, Knites !
    05-23-15 07:32 PM
    S_F1 : For a security company, using WP is not the choice I'll made ... that's what I meant ... but it's :
    3/ Mhooooooo

nite, Knites !
    Nite Sir SuperFly SF.

Classically Posted.
    05-23-15 07:49 PM
    3/ Mhooooooo

nite, Knites !
    Ah ... lol. No worries at all. I'm sure wordpress keeps the costs low.

I recall actually attending this interview in person. Funny I work just up 2 blocks from CBC now.

April 1st 2008 interview with Research in Motion's co-CEO Jim Balsillie on CBC's The Hour. RIM is the maker of the BlackBerry smartphone
    Stroumboulopoulos asked if it was time to add to RIM’s lineup: “Do you ever look at it and go, ‘What are we going to do if this isn’t our primary business, growing RIM beyond . . . a BlackBerry?’ ”
    “Um, no,” Balsillie laughed, “we’re a very poorly diversified portfolio.” “You’re just going to focus on one thing!” said Stroumboulopoulos.
    It either goes to the moon or it crashes to Earth,” Balsillie replied.
    Thank GOD the engineer of the Co-CEO had the know-how to look at iOS core OS and look to QNX to compete and expand the business BEYOND the BlackBerry! I'd like to see BlackBerry expand for products, services, and apps geared for K12-University Education. BOTH Lazaridis and Balsillie invested in Waterloo University for education that STILL stands today. I NEVER understood the HATE towards these CEO's they've done and given back a LOT to their community and future generations beyond what the typical CEO is expected to do.
    Jahcure, sidhuk, Corbu and 10 others like this.
    05-23-15 09:14 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	facebook-20150523-170418.png 
Views:	1648 
Size:	388.7 KB 
ID:	354216

Classically Posted.
    I can!

1. On the IoT management of the component, mapping, and infotainment systems on EACH and EVERY Mercedes-Benz and Merc-AMG cars ... announced in a commercial by both company's!

PS: I thought Thorstein would have this happen back during the BB10 announcement but that was BUNK.
    05-23-15 10:10 PM
    I can!

1. On the IoT management of the component, mapping, and infotainment systems on EACH and EVERY Mercedes-Benz and Merc-AMG cars ... announced in a commercial by both company's!

PS: I thought Thorstein would have this happen back during the BB10 announcement but that was BUNK.
    Perhaps they can brand .

Classically Posted.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    05-24-15 08:58 AM
    Monaco F1 GP 2015:

05-24-15 09:42 AM
    BB10 4 ME
    05-24-15 11:59 AM
    FUD!!! I won't even quote source or link for these FUDDERS!

Blackberry Lays Off Thousands Worldwide

Posted by David on May 24th, 2015
    What a joke!!!
    05-24-15 01:38 PM
113,256 ... 33793380338133823383 ...