View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    "4:31 pm BlackBerry announces that its Board has authorized a share repurchase program to purchase for cancellation up to 12 mln BlackBerry common shares, or ~2.6% of the outstanding public float (BBRY) :
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/inplay...9997.html#bbry
    Yes, authorized, but still contingent on the vote for employees share program.

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk, Corbu, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    05-21-15 04:18 PM
    All of that aside, from a fundamental viewpoint BlackBerry has shown that they will (likely) continue posting quarterly profits as they have done for the last two quarters. It's just a matter of revenue reversal at this point.

BlackBerry has many assets and I bought a few shares that I sold on Friday (breakeven) which I'm really not happy about seeing how many large investors increased shares during the last quarter as well as a significant drop in short interest. The markets were freaking me out and I really don't have extra cash to invest.

Basically bought whatever I could with what I had. Wanted to sell for $11 to make something. Little did I know that was going to happen Friday ugh. I guess my point is if you look at BlackBerry now they are in a much better place from a year ago and as soon as revs increase it'll be all uphill in my opinion. The stock would then be a growth stock so saying not much has changed over last year feels like the larger picture is escaping.

Many (myself included) believe that this stock will be $20 by end of year. BlackBerry has much going on right now including so many partners and big players even in just mobile with Samsung and Google. Debating on whether or not I risk what I can't really afford to if the stock dips below $10 again. I really believe this is a long-term value investment, but being as I really don't have extra cash to trade and so much debate over market corrections, etc, I just pulled out kinda regretfully.

Anyway, all that is left is rev reversal at this point. My selling while everyone is adding and short interest dropping is killing me! Just wanted out of the market, but between carrier partnerships and even MS doubling? their shares it is only a matter of short time when they have what they want for cheap and all of the sudden their $7 price target becomes $15 and higher.

My regret is that I feel worse case BlackBerry would be sold for 20B at minimum; don't see this happening anyway. Just thought I'd comment on what you wrote as well as add some feedback as I'm constantly lurking this thread although I'm out now :-(

Posted via CB10
    Well you can only imagine my frustration level right now. Love it, love BlackBerry but hating my sell... wonder if there will be any chance to get in under $10 again. Seems like I screwed this one up and should have kept the faith. I know how undervalued BlackBerry is with all of their assets and should have kept that in mind rather than selling. Ughhhhhhh... there is no other company I really feel is as undervalued as BlackBerry and can comfortably put my money into. Really unexpected and thought I'd be able to sneak back in below $10 during the "quiet period" if my gut told me to. Seems like this ER will be pretty good.

Edit: Being under water for over a month really got to me. Damn it!

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, bungaboy and awindsr like this.
    05-21-15 04:40 PM
    Oh oh, here we go:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...market-rigging

RBC (Scotland) in there too!
    So where does this money actually go?

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, 3MIKE and Bacon Munchers like this.
    05-21-15 04:52 PM
    Well you can only imagine my frustration level right now. Love it, love BlackBerry but hating my sell... wonder if there will be any chance to get in under $10 again. Seems like I screwed this one up and should have kept the faith. I know how undervalued BlackBerry is with all of their assets and should have kept that in mind rather than selling. Ughhhhhhh... there is no other company I really feel is as undervalued as BlackBerry and can comfortably put my money into. Really unexpected and thought I'd be able to sneak back in below $10 during the "quiet period" if my gut told me to. Seems like this ER will be pretty good.

Edit: Being under water for over a month really got to me. Damn it!

Posted via CB10
    The potential gains are still there...what does your past trade have to do with the next one?

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 05:09 PM
    Trolls alert!!!

#BBFactCheck
    05-21-15 05:16 PM
    Hi Fellow Investors!

I'm late to the party today, yet it seems like the recent news on main page
    BlackBerry announces proposed common share purchase program, was the reason why Fairfax Financial holding company also bought additional 45,000 shares of BlackBerry Ltd (NASDAQ:BBRY) (TSE:BB). Watsa now owns 46,699,700 shares of the Canadian smartphone manufacturer worth $416,510,000. BlackBerry is the second largest stockholding of Fairfax Financial during the quarter on May 14, 2015 09:42:43 PM.

Watsa isn’t the only prominent investor picking up additional $BBRY shares. The Kahn Brothers increased their investment in BlackBerry by raising their 289,960 shares to 1,846,010 shares.

I now honestly believe that the next major announcement BlackBerry makes in relation after next quarter (3/4th Qtr 2016 Fiscal Year) that a Share Dividend will be done. I've called for this before post #114 on thread Apple Reports Monstrous Quarter in the iPhone/Apple forums here, but I think this is slowly beginning to happen.

Of the best minded investors in this daily watch/discussion ... I've had a thought based on a comment by Vasilios Patras.

Never rooted so much for this under dog company. We care for their profit as if it would profit us somehow. I love their phones and as long as they in business so are the best qwerty devices.
    This started having me think .... of the current total number of BB users out there, many a few million more still fans but no longer using based on whatever reason/excuse they provide, still fans non-the-less, if EACH and EVERY one of these camps actually went out in the same 30 day period purchased just 5-10 shares each (TSE:BB/BBRY) ... how would that affect the share price? How would it affect BlackBerry's just announced buyback program initiative/goal, and how would that (pontificate on this) affect FairFax or the Khan brothers' decisions to purchase even more stock? I'm being VERY serious about this thought, inquiry and challenge here ... I'm VERY curious. Also would this be legal, as in each of these camps chose to hang onto the stock beyond a 6mth period?

Would this really benefit the company's coffers, boost internal morale, boost projects deadlines to offerings out of R&D, increase partners/deals/BES licensing, etc?!

BlackBerry, like the Passport ... except no substitute.
    awindsr and jxnb like this.
    05-21-15 06:04 PM
    Chen has said employee moral needs a boost this will definitely help.

This is not a lot of money bit I would rather use cash to grow revenues, this will not do that.

I see pluses and minuses here. Anxious to read what you all think as you have time to think and research!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-21-15 06:04 PM
    This started having me think .... of the current total number of BB users out there, many a few million more still fans but no longer using based on whatever reason/excuse they provide, still fans non-the-less, if EACH and EVERY one of these camps actually went out in the same 30 day period purchased just 5-10 shares each (TSE:BB/BBRY) ... how would that affect the share price? How would it affect BlackBerry's just announced buyback program initiative/goal, and how would that (pontificate on this) affect FairFax or the Khan brothers' decisions to purchase even more stock? I'm being VERY serious about this thought, inquiry and challenge here ... I'm VERY curious.
    ... this is OP, dated 11-02-11 ...

Call me a dreamer, a fanatic, a fool or whatever, I'm just buying some RIM shares right now.
    While I think it can't really hurt me and I may have a delicious surprise in,say, 5 years, I'm not doing this in a speculative vision, just a support action. As my savings are low, I'll not spend a lot, so maybe I'll buy only 5.

How many of us (and friends) can afford this ? I don't know ...
    But if we actively buzz this, it may ... oh, yes, I'm a dreamer...
    But just imagine 10% of BB users claiming five shares ...

Corbu, kadakn01, Supa_Fly1 and 8 others like this.
    05-21-15 06:23 PM
    ... this is OP, dated 11-02-11 ...

From one Supa_Fly to another Superfly (you like Curtis Mayfield as well) ... thank you. Still it's nice to re-invision and evoke this sentiment.
    Superfly_FR, zyben, jxnb and 1 others like this.
    05-21-15 06:47 PM
    05-21-15 06:58 PM
    From one Supa_Fly to another Superfly (you like Curtis Mayfield as well) ... thank you. Still it's nice to re-invision and evoke this sentiment.
    Can't remember how many times I've embedded Curtis in da thread
    One more time, never hurts!

Good nite gang, it's a bit late here

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    05-21-15 07:04 PM
    BlackBerry CEO John Chen?s Compensation Falls to $3.4 Million - WSJ

BlackBerry CEO John Chen’s Compensation Falls to $3.4 Million
    Smartphone maker plans to buy back about 2.6% of shares outstanding

By BEN DUMMETT
    Updated May 21, 2015 7:59 p.m. ET

The pay package of BlackBerry Ltd. Chief Executive John Chen dropped significantly in fiscal 2015, largely because he didn’t benefit from a grant of restricted shares that he had received in the prior year as incentive to join the struggling smartphone maker.

Mr. Chen’s compensation totaled $3.4 million in fiscal 2015, ended Feb. 28, according to BlackBerry’s regulatory filing for its annual meeting in June. That compares with the $85.8 million he received in fiscal 2014, of which all but about $1 million was from restricted shares that vest over five years starting from Mr. Chen’s hiring in November 2013.

Separately Thursday, BlackBerry said it would buy back about 2.6% of its shares outstanding to offset the impact of a proposed employee share purchase plan and the increase in the shares it can offer under its equity incentive plan. The share buyback of up to 12 million shares is contingent on the proposals being approved at the shareholders’ annual meeting on June 23.

BlackBerry hired Mr. Chen to try to turn around the company’s fortunes after attempts under previous management to launch a new line of phones flopped and an effort to sell the company failed.

Mr. Chen is trying to replicate the success he had reviving Sybase Inc. and selling the California-based software company to SAP SE in 2010 for $5.8 billion, by first cutting costs and outsourcing device manufacturing, and then reigniting sales with the introduction of mobile-security software, services and devices largely aimed at enterprise customers.

BlackBerry’s operating profit in the fiscal fourth quarter demonstrated the first part of Mr. Chen’s plan is working. But the second part is still unproven as revenue remains under pressure amid uncertainty that BlackBerry can win back customers who abandoned the company for rival offerings.

Still, BlackBerry investors have benefited from Mr. Chen’s efforts. The stock has outperformed both the Toronto Stock Exchange and the Nasdaq Stock Market since Mr. Chen joined the Waterloo, Ontario, company.

Mr. Chen’s compensation for fiscal 2015 comprised a base salary of $1 million, plus $2.4 million in other incentives.

Also, BlackBerry said all but one of its seven existing board members are standing for re-election at the annual meeting. Claudia Kotchka, who joined the board in July 2011 isn’t seeking re-election, according to the company’s regulatory filing. A BlackBerry spokeswoman couldn’t immediately comment on the reason why.
    Mr BBRY, kadakn01, rarsen and 6 others like this.
    05-21-15 07:41 PM
    The potential gains are still there...what does your past trade have to do with the next one?

Posted via CB10
    That is true... just frustrating. Was holding onto shares for months and just sold last week for nothing... just the timing. Not really a trader. Usually buy and hold, felt like BlackBerry was going to be range bound from 9-11 for the summer. Who knows; All I can do now is decide if I want to re-invest and see where my entry would be. Guess I'll let the dust settle tomorrow and see what happens next week. Thanks for the glass half full reply though!

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    05-21-15 08:26 PM
    BlackBerry launches 12M-share buyback; shares +2.2% - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Seeking Alpha

BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) has launched a buyback good for repurchasing 2.6% of the float, and 2.2% of outstanding shares. The company's goal is to "offset dilution that may result from our proposed employee share purchase plan and from proposed amendments to our equity incentive plan."At current levels, buying back 12M shares would cost $126M. BlackBerry had $3.27B in cash at the end of its February quarter, and $1.7B in long-term debt.Shares have risen to $10.50 AH.

Posted via CB10
    Pssst!

Do you know what I smell? (no, it's not green)

I smell, .... I smell .... DIVIDEND! Depending on how long this buyback is supposed to be completed ... I think see Dividend announcement to boost the value for shareholders, and for BlackBerry employees.
    05-21-15 08:29 PM
    OT Update: Streaming video via Blend 1.2 beta when the phone and computer are on different networks WORKS! Use Blend's file manager to navigate the phone's directory structure (including media card) to the video you want to view. Double click on it and then wait. And wait. The video has to be fully buffered on the computer you're on, but once it's buffered it will start to play. You can even fast forward or rewind the video. Longest video I've tried streaming so far was about 1:40:00. On the PC, the videos (.MP4) have worked when opened in Windows Media Player and VLC.

Still, nothing beats simply logging into the phone wirelessly and launching the video directly.
    Cool. Iff you want to be surprised, just open a command 'CMD' windows in Windows, and type: ipconfig /all, to see how BlackBerry sets up the IP attributes. Lot's of IPV6 addressing, which is the most secure tunneling.
    05-21-15 08:41 PM
    I haven't done a complete and thorough analysis yet but while at Sybase, in 1999 and 2001, and one year after being named CEO:

"We believe the decision to continue the share repurchase program will benefit our shareholders and employees, said Sybase President, Chief Executive Officer and Chairman, John Chen. "We have sufficient cash to acquire our shares without affecting the Company's financial strength, and we view this program as a confirmation of our belief in the long-term value of the Company."

"Shares repurchased by the Company may be used for the issuance of shares under the Sybase employee stock option and stock purchase plans," Chen said.
    SYBASE ANNOUNCES FURTHER PLANS TO REPURCHASE STOCK -- July 30,1999 /PR Newswire UK/
    Sybase Increases Stock Repurchase Program by $150 Million -- re> EMERYVILLE, Calif., June 11 /PRNewswire/ --

Arguably not exactly the same situation and anecdotal but interesting nonetheless...

Things are looking up!
    05-21-15 08:45 PM
    Pssst!

Do you know what I smell? (no, it's not green)

I smell, .... I smell .... DIVIDEND! Depending on how long this buyback is supposed to be completed ... I think see Dividend announcement to boost the value for shareholders, and for BlackBerry employees.
    I hope not. It would be foolish at this point in my opinion.

They are poised for potentially massive growth and so they can use that money much better than I can I hope.

Dividends are for stalwarts and companies running out of growth ideas, in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, morganplus8, zyben and 8 others like this.
    05-21-15 09:18 PM
    I haven't done a complete and thorough analysis yet but while at Sybase, in 1999 and 2001, and one year after being named CEO:

SYBASE ANNOUNCES FURTHER PLANS TO REPURCHASE STOCK -- July 30,1999 /PR Newswire UK/
    Sybase Increases Stock Repurchase Program by $150 Million -- re> EMERYVILLE, Calif., June 11 /PRNewswire/ --

Arguably not exactly the same situation and anecdotal but interesting nonetheless...

Things are looking up!
    Wow. Thanks a million Corbu. You're really good with this stuff

#BBFactCheck
    05-21-15 09:34 PM
    BlackBerry is moving FAST kids!!

Webinars ... pay CLOSE attention:

To BYOD or Not to BYOD? Choosing the Right Deployment Model for Your Business
    Thu, May 28, 2015
    11:00 AM EDT
    1 Hour
    Alex Manea, Director, BlackBerry Security
    "Shazam!"

The 8 Keys to Developing a Bullet-Proof Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy
    Thu, Jun 4, 2015
    1 Hour
    Nader Henein, Director, Security Advisory Services, BlackBerry

How to Create a Secure, Boundary-less Enterprise with Mobile Containers and Enterprise File Sync and Share
    Thu, Jun 11, 2015
    1 Hour
    Jay Barbour, Director, Security Advisory Services, BlackBerry
    ... wasn't it just less than 30 Days from announcement to finalizing acquisition to 1 webinar just 8 days ago stating what the potential of WatchDox?!

Double SHAZAAAAAAM!!!

Who say's BlackBerry is d-e-a-d? Who says BlackBerry moves slow?

Yeah boys and girls Mr. Chen is taking a paycut as well these fiscal year ... it's the share buybacks that he'll get rewarded for next year. When have you LAST heard a CEO taking a PAY and BONUS cut to better the company and the employees and shareholders within it?! (I've heard of only 1 in the last 20yrs and it was just 3 mths ago at a credit card company in the USA a small firm). In my mind BlackBerry is NO LONGER the underdog it's a LION!
    05-21-15 11:47 PM
    I hope not. It would be foolish at this point in my opinion.

They are poised for potentially massive growth and so they can use that money much better than I can I hope.

Dividends are for stalwarts and companies running out of growth ideas, in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    IBM, the other fruit company (yeah I know the 'no innovation' haters argument there but they STILL have ideas and their coffers are proving it), Samsung (Galaxy S6/Edge Dual edge curved glass new screen innovations) all seem to buck your ideal/belief here and all are growing. So ?
    05-21-15 11:51 PM
    Dividends come from profits. BlackBerry ain't making any noticeable profit to be able to issue dividends. IMO.

Posted via CB10
    Andy_bb_king and 3MIKE like this.
    05-22-15 12:12 AM
    IBM, the other fruit company (yeah I know the 'no innovation' haters argument there but they STILL have ideas and their coffers are proving it), Samsung (Galaxy S6/Edge Dual edge curved glass new screen innovations) all seem to buck your ideal/belief here and all are growing. So ?
    In my opinion, those mentioned companies are in a far different circumstance than BBRY. It's these fundamental differences, which I hope are fairly obvious, that lead to my opinion.

Basically, BBRY better have a better use for their cash than giving it back to me.

But of course shareholders are going to hold different ideas about dividends and are also going to be in different life circumstances which will lend themselves toward wanting/needing steady income from their portfolio.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, La Emperor and zyben like this.
    05-22-15 12:22 AM
    Chen has to take care of the SP now.
    Flushing the excessive short positions will help.
    Even a tiny dividend, added to the buy back will raise a very noticeable signal: "ladies and gents, we're ready. Fasten your seat belt and relax, we'll be cruising for a while".
    May be 'at cost'.
    Still, mandatory now and to prepare... what we all wait for. The next J.C's massive move.

Posted via CB10
    Mr BBRY, rarsen, lech31 and 4 others like this.
    05-22-15 01:11 AM
    Dividends come from profits. BlackBerry ain't making any noticeable profit to be able to issue dividends. IMO.

Posted via CB10
    Dividends come from coffers filled by stock holders, not just profits. Offrr more value to your shareholders more stock will sell to long term inventors. Either way I sade around 3rd and 4th qtr 2016 fiscal year so let's not take what I was hoping for out if context.

Posted by BlackBerry accept no compromise!
    3MIKE likes this.
    05-22-15 01:29 AM
    This will create a floor for the share price (maybe $9) until 12million share are repurchased. It's definitely a signal to the shorts that it's time to move on.
    It would be great if they followed up with a special dividend (nothing big, a couple of pennies a share) to reinforce the idea that the shorts should get out of the play.

BB10 4 ME
    In reality the share count won't change and cash will be burned. The winners are throw with options based compensation.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 06:52 AM
113,256 ... 33753376337733783379 ...