View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    well, Ipad sales are down over 20% yoy....so maybe not dead yet, but the trends are going that direction

Apple iPad Sales Decrease Again - IGN

and:

"The collapse of the tablet market in 2014 was alarming," said Ranjit Atwal, research director at Gartner

Gartner Says Tablet Sales Continue to Be Slow in 2015
    Have a tablet. Sacked in when popular. And was an early admitter that if I need to do something quickly, I'd rather use my laptop.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 12:38 PM
    You jest, right?
    Lol, they could have.. just imagine with that kind of money!
    bungaboy, zyben and La Emperor like this.
    05-18-15 12:39 PM
    This was exactly what I had said months ago when they as in Apple created their larger Iphone 's. Why would I choose to purchase an IPad when I can get a phone that's more advanced and almost same size screen. They screwed up or maybe they knew their sales would drop off once iPhone 6 was created. I personally believe their watch will not be successful. It's much too small and will only appeal to people who are looking to get attention and say they have the latest and greatest. Samsung tried the watch and it seems to be a failure? As people get older their eyesight worsens so people prefer larger not smaller. Anyway looking forward to other people's comments.

Posted via CB10
    10+ reasons NOT to buy Apple Watch

zyben, La Emperor, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    05-18-15 12:44 PM
    Depends on whether sales are down because no one wants a tablet, or whether sales are down because nearly everyone has already got one.

Posted via CB10
    It's irrelevant. The point is that the craze is ending. It's a commodity. The growth has stopped. It is what it is. Chipping away at market share is all that remains.

The next wave will be a smart platform for more than just phones.. (how did our telephones become our most valuable tool/toy anyways?!?). And BlackBerry is deeply seeded in all the components of it.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 01:18 PM
    It's irrelevant. The point is that the craze is ending. It's a commodity. The growth has stopped. It is what it is. Chipping away at market share is all that remains.

The next wave will be a smart platform for more than just phones.. (how did our telephones become our most valuable tool/toy anyways?!?). And BlackBerry is deeply seeded in all the components of it.

Posted via CB10
    What do you mean by 'It's a commodity'? Are you suggesting that mobile phones can now me mined from under the surface of the earth? Genuinely haven't got a clue what you mean by that. Aaaaanyway...here's a wild prediction for you: so long as our hands and eyeballs stay the same size, there will be a market for handheld communication devices. No one is going to line up around the corner for the next super IoT fridge. Also, there is still a lot of growth for BlackBerry when they have less than 2% market share.

But never mind...if BlackBerry can't sell their phones, that means that phones don't matter. If they make a total mess of BBM, then it means BBM doesn't matter, and the same goes for anything else they don't get right. All that matters are the huge and exciting things that BlackBerry will knock out of the park, unless they end up striking out, and then those thing won't matter, but the next wave will matter. I look forward to being wrong, but my memory is an annoying thing: it keeps reminding me of last year's predictions, and those of the year before. I wish it would stop doing that.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 02:52 PM
    What do you mean by 'It's a commodity'? Are you suggesting that mobile phones can now me mined from under the surface of the earth? Genuinely haven't got a clue what you mean by that. Aaaaanyway...here's a wild prediction for you: so long as our hands and eyeballs stay the same size, there will be a market for handheld communication devices. No one is going to line up around the corner for the next super IoT fridge. Also, there is still a lot of growth for BlackBerry when they have less than 2% market share.

But never mind...if BlackBerry can't sell their phones, that means that phones don't matter. If they make a total mess of BBM, then it means BBM doesn't matter, and the same goes for anything else they don't get right. All that matters are the huge and exciting things that BlackBerry will knock out of the park, unless they end up striking out, and then those thing won't matter, but the next wave will matter. I look forward to being wrong, but my memory is an annoying thing: it keeps reminding me of last year's predictions, and those of the year before. I wish it would stop doing that.

Posted via CB10
    Are you not familiar with 'commodotization' concept?

http://www.businessdictionary.com/de...itization.html

Eg: PCs are commodities. Android devices are commodities.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, rarsen, zyben and 7 others like this.
    05-18-15 03:44 PM
    Visa's Doidge joins BlackBerry corp comms team

Visa's Doidge joins BlackBerry corp comms team | PR Week

PLEASANTON, CA: Jennifer Doidge has joined BlackBerry as VP of corporate communications after nine years in various comms roles at Visa.

Doidge, most recently VP of corporate communications at the financial services blue chip, is reporting to BlackBerry COO Marty Beard, confirmed Adam Emery, VP of corporate communications at the company, via email.

She will work from BlackBerry’s Pleasanton, California, office, he added.

The appointment comes on the heels of former BlackBerry SVP of communications Heidi Davidson stepping down earlier this month.

Asked if he is taking on Davidson’s responsibilities in the interim or permanently, Emery said via email, "I will continue to lead global regional communications, and a new corporate reputation and crisis program."

During her time at Visa, Doidge oversaw various tasks, including communications strategy for client-merchant relationships, regulatory and security issues, employee communications, and thought leadership efforts, according to Emery.

Previously, Doidge was VP and client leader at FleishmanHillard in San Francisco.

A Visa representative was not immediately available for comment.
    05-18-15 03:55 PM
    Troll troll troll yur post, gently down the page....Merrily Merrily Merrily Merrily spreading FUD really generously.

Classically Posted.
    05-18-15 04:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    All of that aside, from a fundamental viewpoint BlackBerry has shown that they will (likely) continue posting quarterly profits as they have done for the last two quarters. It's just a matter of revenue reversal at this point.

BlackBerry has many assets and I bought a few shares that I sold on Friday (breakeven) which I'm really not happy about seeing how many large investors increased shares during the last quarter as well as a significant drop in short interest. The markets were freaking me out and I really don't have extra cash to invest.

Basically bought whatever I could with what I had. Wanted to sell for $11 to make something. Little did I know that was going to happen Friday ugh. I guess my point is if you look at BlackBerry now they are in a much better place from a year ago and as soon as revs increase it'll be all uphill in my opinion. The stock would then be a growth stock so saying not much has changed over last year feels like the larger picture is escaping.

Many (myself included) believe that this stock will be $20 by end of year. BlackBerry has much going on right now including so many partners and big players even in just mobile with Samsung and Google. Debating on whether or not I risk what I can't really afford to if the stock dips below $10 again. I really believe this is a long-term value investment, but being as I really don't have extra cash to trade and so much debate over market corrections, etc, I just pulled out kinda regretfully.

Anyway, all that is left is rev reversal at this point. My selling while everyone is adding and short interest dropping is killing me! Just wanted out of the market, but between carrier partnerships and even MS doubling? their shares it is only a matter of short time when they have what they want for cheap and all of the sudden their $7 price target becomes $15 and higher.

My regret is that I feel worse case BlackBerry would be sold for 20B at minimum; don't see this happening anyway. Just thought I'd comment on what you wrote as well as add some feedback as I'm constantly lurking this thread although I'm out now :-(

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 04:06 PM
    bungaboy, rarsen, 3MIKE and 4 others like this.
    05-18-15 04:26 PM
    BlackBerry: It's Time - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Seeking Alpha

An honest article imo. Morgan, I'd love to hear your opinion on revenue/gross margin/operating expenses (again)

There doesn't seem to be a lot of downside left.. but as the writer (rightfully?) claims, JC will need to hit it out of the park in order to get meaningful profits again? Has the writer missed something? I think we can all use a peptalk
    bungaboy, rarsen, 3MIKE and 5 others like this.
    05-18-15 04:39 PM
    Are you not familiar with 'commodotization' concept?

http://www.businessdictionary.com/de...itization.html

Eg: PCs are commodities. Android devices are commodities.

Posted via CB10
    Not to be pedantic, but even the very dictionary you used has the following definition of commodity:

commodity
    A reasonably homogeneous good or material, bought and sold freely as an article of commerce. Commodities include agricultural products, fuels, and metals and are traded in bulk on a commodity exchange or spot market.

Phones are not 'commodities'. The term 'commoditisation' is a sort of metaphor, but that doesn't make phones or laptops commodities, and in any event, smartphones don't fit the definition set out by commoditisation anyway. They are not differentiated merely by price, and brand remains extremely important. It's simply not the case that smartphones can be viewed that way. If it were the case, we wouldn't have had the last years of BlackBerry brand bashing or the reality that Apple can sell millions and millions of phone at the drop of a hat because of their brand power. As for Android devices, again, brand matters, which is why Samsung is dominant.

Posted via CB10
    uverz911 likes this.
    05-18-15 04:45 PM
    Anyway, who cares. I'll get 'back under my bridge', sit back, and learn from the experts.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 04:54 PM
    Well imho, smartphones are commodities. They're all made out of the same components. And right now, the only big thing that differentiates one from another, is their ecosystem. Because, again imho, Xaiomi makes some stunning Android devices and so does Samsung. But hypes come and go. Imagine for a second that net-neutrality or app-neutrality become reality and then iPhones could even lose their appeal. The only non-commodity will be those highly-secure devices made by BlackBerry..

Posted via CB10
    zyben, awindsr, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    05-18-15 05:10 PM
    Anyway, who cares. I'll get 'back under my bridge', sit back, and learn from the experts.

Posted via CB10
    If only.......

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    take99, sidhuk, 3MIKE and 7 others like this.
    05-18-15 05:12 PM
    Not to be pedantic, but even the very dictionary you used has the following definition of commodity:

commodity
    A reasonably homogeneous good or material, bought and sold freely as an article of commerce. Commodities include agricultural products, fuels, and metals and are traded in bulk on a commodity exchange or spot market.

Phones are not 'commodities'. The term 'commoditisation' is a sort of metaphor, but that doesn't make phones or laptops commodities, and in any event, smartphones don't fit the definition set out by commoditisation anyway. They are not differentiated merely by price, and brand remains extremely important. It's simply not the case that smartphones can be viewed that way. If it were the case, we wouldn't have had the last years of BlackBerry brand bashing or the reality that Apple can sell millions and millions of phone at the drop of a hat because of their brand power. As for Android devices, again, brand matters, which is why Samsung is dominant.

Posted via CB10
    You just google 'commodotization' and read articles/examples. PCS, laptops were commodotized long ago. It's not dictionary definition we are talking about. Go ahead, google, educate yourself.

Microsoft's success is credited to their ability to successfully commodotize hardware (pc). It's a common example cited in college classes. Go ahead and google.

Not bashing your other point. Just felt like you didn't understand the reference 'commodity' was suppose to imply in that post.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, zyben and awindsr like this.
    05-18-15 05:18 PM

commodity

Posted via CB10
    It's a very commonly used and understood term both in economics and business.

Definitely worth learning about and understanding in my opinion even if you don't intend on applying business strategy or theories.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 05:24 PM
  18. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    All of that aside, from a fundamental viewpoint BlackBerry has shown that they will (likely) continue posting quarterly profits as they have done for the last two quarters. It's just a matter of revenue reversal at this point.

BlackBerry has many assets and I bought a few shares that I sold on Friday (breakeven) which I'm really not happy about seeing how many large investors increased shares during the last quarter as well as a significant drop in short interest. The markets were freaking me out and I really don't have extra cash to invest.

Basically bought whatever I could with what I had. Wanted to sell for $11 to make something. Little did I know that was going to happen Friday ugh. I guess my point is if you look at BlackBerry now they are in a much better place from a year ago and as soon as revs increase it'll be all uphill in my opinion. The stock would then be a growth stock so saying not much has changed over last year feels like the larger picture is escaping.

Many (myself included) believe that this stock will be $20 by end of year. BlackBerry has much going on right now including so many partners and big players even in just mobile with Samsung and Google. Debating on whether or not I risk what I can't really afford to if the stock dips below $10 again. I really believe this is a long-term value investment, but being as I really don't have extra cash to trade and so much debate over market corrections, etc, I just pulled out kinda regretfully.

Anyway, all that is left is rev reversal at this point. My selling while everyone is adding and short interest dropping is killing me! Just wanted out of the market, but between carrier partnerships and even MS doubling? their shares it is only a matter of short time when they have what they want for cheap and all of the sudden their $7 price target becomes $15 and higher.

My regret is that I feel worse case BlackBerry would be sold for 20B at minimum; don't see this happening anyway. Just thought I'd comment on what you wrote as well as add some feedback as I'm constantly lurking this thread although I'm out now :-(

Posted via CB10
    Many can relate to your circumstances... keep in touch.. you will have opportunities again to get back into bbry at good prices.. as you said..its a long journey up... good luck!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by world traveler and former ceo; 05-18-15 at 06:47 PM.
    bungaboy, zyben, awindsr and 3 others like this.
    05-18-15 05:29 PM
    BlackBerry: It's Time - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Seeking Alpha

An honest article imo. Morgan, I'd love to hear your opinion on revenue/gross margin/operating expenses (again)

There doesn't seem to be a lot of downside left.. but as the writer (rightfully?) claims, JC will need to hit it out of the park in order to get meaningful profits again? Has the writer missed something? I think we can all use a peptalk
    Hi _dimi_ !!

Well, I can't help you much with that pep-talk, the company needs to see growth in at least one area, Enterprise, Handsets or Service will do it. Once they can show growth the investment community will look at margins to see if they are getting traction without unduly higher costs. All of this takes time; at least two more quarters before we will see how well BES12 is doing. I bought 55,000 shares / $ 10.25/shr at 3:45 PM today, not because it is strong technically, or something big is coming soon, I bought those shares to sell some call options against and generate some income while we wait. I'm looking for about $ .80/shr over the next 3 - 4 weeks, that's it. I always sell a block of stock on the buyout rumours, that a given, maybe one day I'll miss out on a $ 5.00 gain but so far, it is something that needs to be done. Now I have those shares back and I'm writing calls against them. For me, this is my way of grinding out a nice return on my BBRY investment while we wait two more quarters.

As for needing $ 3.0 B in revenues to show growth, Chen has proven he can manage with less and get more out of it. I do have a great deal of confidence in BBRY and John Chen, I think we need to be patient here and let him work with other companies and form partnerships, this takes time but it will pay off for years to come. You know, I could probably work AAPL stock the same way and make similar profits but I just don't like their products so its difficult to buy into a business where you don't like the consumables. On the other hand, I recently broke the screen on my Passport, went back to my Z10 while waiting for a new glass, love that Z10 and find I look forward to using it again. That is, ... until it was pointed out to me how nice the beta addition of BB 10 is going to be on my Passport, now I need to get that phone fixed ASAP as that video was so cool. LOL

With Apple, my expensive door stop, the latest and not so greatest iPad is still on iOS 7.1. I have zero interest in updating its software, so there you have it, I can't trade AAPL from the long side as long as I hate their products. For me, like many others, BB is the place to be as an investment and for their amazing OS experience.

Coming off their last quarter, I wish Chen would accelerate their acquisition side of the business, one purchase a month would be nice as they are cash rich and there are so many potential business deals out there. I'm very positive on BBRY, we are building one heck of a base under $ 11.00/shr here, let's wait for one sector to start to expand and then sit back and enjoy the ride.
    05-18-15 06:48 PM
    Tomorrow's big Blackberry news that will be spread all over US media:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-cftf8gowiaaofnk.png

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 07:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    Trusting you are a person of their word!
    take99 and zyben like this.
    05-18-15 07:19 PM
    Another article from Seeking Alpha
    Interesting possibilities !

Summary

BlackBerry and Samsung have partnered on the Secu Tablet and to provide mobile security for Android devices.

The next deal could be for Samsung to provide its Exynos processor for BlackBerry handsets.

It could help BlackBerry increase its gross margins and serve as a springboard for Exynos sales to external clients.

Here's the link

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3192...4754d&uprof=75
    spike12, rarsen, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    05-18-15 08:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    Oh man, I can't even begin.
    After wading through your cynical nonsense, I still find myself with a handful of flaws in your posts. If you think it's about playing Angry Birds on your fridge, you're in the wrong place.
    It's the InterNET of things; a network of connected devices. Think outside of consumer for once.

Trains platforms that measure and analyze passengers, automatically adjust the train schedule and instantly update in everyone's car, phone, watch, whatever.

Hospitals that have the surgical equipment and medications for a specific patient waiting for the ambulance as it arrives.

The possibilities are endless, and smartphones are such a minor piece. More of a key than a door. I don't know any key companies with surging revenues.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 08:47 PM
    Well imho, smartphones are commodities. They're all made out of the same components. And right now, the only big thing that differentiates one from another, is their ecosystem. Because, again imho, Xaiomi makes some stunning Android devices and so does Samsung. But hypes come and go. Imagine for a second that net-neutrality or app-neutrality become reality and then iPhones could even lose their appeal. The only non-commodity will be those highly-secure devices made by BlackBerry..

Posted via CB10
    Not in all cases. Apple designs their own SoC's. That's why they always have the speed advantage over everyone else using off the shelf parts.

...and all the imagination in the world isn't going to make "app neutrality" happen. The idea is just stupid. It's shocking that it came out of his mouth at all. (You'll notice their hasn't been another word spoken about it after he was lambasted.)
    sati01 and Alvin Loh like this.
    05-18-15 08:50 PM
    Another article from Seeking Alpha
    Interesting possibilities !

Summary

BlackBerry and Samsung have partnered on the Secu Tablet and to provide mobile security for Android devices.

The next deal could be for Samsung to provide its Exynos processor for BlackBerry handsets.

It could help BlackBerry increase its gross margins and serve as a springboard for Exynos sales to external clients.

Here's the link

BlackBerry: Is Secu Tablet A Precursor To A Larger Deal With Samsung? - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Seeking Alpha
    It is pretty dumb since the secu-tablet is not a BBRY hardware and has no direct involvement from BBRY. It is a full Android with Samsung hardware design and its chip. There is really nothing in it for Samsung to sell its own chip below market price to BBRY just to help a competitor out.
    It is top end hardware with small quantity run, so the price will be significantly higher than Qualcomm chips. There will be 6 months platform validation to include new hardware into BB10 and subsequent driver work to merge hardware branch and compatibility testing. It is not as easy as fanboys( or sheeps) think as if it is just swapping out processor chips like Lego bricks.
    05-18-15 09:27 PM
113,250 ... 33703371337233733374 ...