Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/05/las...ic-blackberry/

Last Two Years Were �Fantastic' For BlackBerry Ltd

BlackBerry Ltd*(NASDAQ:BBRY) (TSE:BB), as we all know, has been*struggling*over the past two years after being knocked down in the smartphone war by Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.*(LON:BC94) (KRX:005930) and Apple Inc.*(NASDAQ:AAPL). However, BlackBerry India head Sunil Lalvani feels otherwise and believes the last two years have been �fantastic� for the Canadian company.

BlackBerry went back to its �roots�

Lalvani told Business Insider that, for the past two years, the company was working on its �roots,� which are the enterprise segment. Under this segment, the Canadian firm offers email and Blackberry Messenger (BBM) that �were available with the phone,� tells Lalvani, adding �Now that is Blackberry�s USP as we run a private network that connects up to about 500 carriers worldwide and gives an unmatched email experience.�

Lalvani does admit that in the last few years, BlackBerry has lost a major portion of its market share, saying the Canadian firm was the most desirable smartphone firm from 2000 to 2010, and its QWERTY keyboard feature was loved by all. But with the influx of low-cost smartphones, BlackBerry started losing its market share. The executive further said that the company could not afford selling phones that are below the $100 level owing to manufacturing and supply chain restrictions.

Market share no benchmark

However, Lalvani asserts that measuring performance on the basis of market share is not relevant for BlackBerry, as the company does not have an �entire product portfolio.� For BlackBerry, the benchmark is profitability and consumer base, states Lalvani. The executive further notes that though the job was challenging, the company�s strategy to focus o software has helped the Canadian firm better its global smartphone margins.

Separately, BlackBerry CEO John Chen, who has been working for the past 18 months to turn things around for the Canadian firm, is confident that the company�s smartphone unit will be profitable again. However, for that to happen, the first step is to build on the segments (privacy and the enterprise) in which*the company is witnessing some success.

Though it�s a big ask, Chen has been in a similar situation before, and investors and critics are already seeing a ray of hope. During the recent earnings call, Chen declared that the �financial house is in order,� and the company�s �financial viability is no longer in question.�

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE, bungaboy, rarsen and 6 others like this.
    05-14-15 09:20 PM
    A couple items of possible interest:

--------------
    Apple has said very little about HomeKit over the last year, fueling concerns that executing on that grand vision was more complicated than the company had imagined.

Fortune said that Apple�s code for controlling smaller, battery-powered devices required too much memory and that Apple was working to shrink the code back down to size.

(Sounds like a job for QNX).

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/05/...coming-in-june
    --------------

And more relevant:

More talk about big players increased position in BlackBerry, but special attention towards Fairfax:

http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/05/fai...nd-blackberry/
    3MIKE, bungaboy, CDM76 and 7 others like this.
    05-14-15 09:51 PM
    Fairfax Buys Atwood Oceanics, Dresser-Rand, BlackBerry

The financial services holding company also bought additional 45,000 shares of BlackBerry Ltd (NASDAQ:BBRY) (TSE:BB). Watsa now owns 46,699,700 shares of the Canadian smartphone manufacturer worth $416,510,000. BlackBerry is the second largest stockholding of Fairfax Financial during the quarter.
    05-14-15 10:11 PM
    Exactly what I focused on. Gives Fairfax an average price of $8.92 per share. Not too shabby.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag, rarsen and sidhuk like this.
    05-15-15 12:27 AM
    So when I fired up this forum to check up on the latest and greatest, this was the ad that shows up....

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-brownshoes.png

You gotta love the irony! Happy Friday, gang!

Disclosure: I do not own and have not searched the internet for brown shoes.
    Last edited by Mr BBRY; 05-15-15 at 08:04 AM.
    05-15-15 07:51 AM
    So when fired up this forum to check up on the latest and greatest, this was the ad that shows up....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BrownShoes.PNG 
Views:	1619 
Size:	460.1 KB 
ID:	352945

You gotta love the irony! Happy Friday, gang!

Ack! You don't own a pair of brown loafers? Or brown C'Boy boots?
    05-15-15 08:03 AM
    so when i fired up this forum to check up on the latest and greatest, this was the ad that shows up....

Name:	BrownShoes.PNG 
Views:	1619 
Size:	460.1 KB 
ID:	352945

you gotta love the irony! Happy friday, gang!

its a signnn!
    05-15-15 08:20 AM
    Is that the "marked to market" value, not their average price?
    05-15-15 08:31 AM
    Anyone care to guess how much money BBM will have brought in considering the stickers and various subscriptions? Free pair of brown Oxfords to the one who can guess the user base numbers as well...just don't wear those lovely things in the City, of course...

Posted via CB10
    BACK-2-BLACK and awindsr like this.
    05-15-15 09:05 AM
    Anyone care to guess how much money BBM will have brought in considering the stickers and various subscriptions? Free pair of brown Oxfords to the one who can guess the user base numbers as well...just don't wear those lovely things in the City, of course...

Posted via CB10
    I'm not going to give a specific number but i still think it will be pretty small and not add much to the bottom line. I know they are trying to work on a deal with carriers for some sort of carrier messaging system powered by bbm.
    morganplus8 and CDM76 like this.
    05-15-15 09:11 AM
    No bunga, no C'Boys here. I won't rule out the loafers though! You'll be the first to know when I pull the trigger.

On a BBRY note, I'm a bit confused about the SP action this week and would like to see if anyone here can give a shot at an explanation. So we shot up 6% on Monday on an AAPL buyout rumor. I don't think anyone here really expects it to be true, but I'll take the 6%. We now have the whole week behind us and there has not been as much as a whisper from either party to confirm or deny the rumor, yet we seem to have some support in the low $10's. Prior to the rumor, we were in a bit of a down trend and were looking for a reversal. Other than the AAPL rumor, I don't see any other near term drivers and I was expecting a gradual recession back into the upper $9 range. The DOW and Nasdaq haven't had a major breakout, so I would attribute BBRY's strength to that either.

My question is, do we expect the uptrend to continue to the top of the channel ($11, I believe)? If so, will we need news or overall market strength to achieve it? I know it may not be the popular opinion, but I worry we may be stuck at $10 for a long time, which is basically where we've been since June '14, or until we start to see a material increase in revenues. I think it may be time for another chart.

I should also clarify that I have looked at my BBRY investment as a 5-10 year term from the start, although I never expect to accumulate as many shares as I currently hold. I never expected a rapid turnaround either, but did expect a more gradual increase. I am very happy with BlackBerry fundamentally, so my investment thesis holds. Its just been quite a test of patience waiting for the climb to continue. Truthfully, this forum has been the lifeline to that patience. So thank you!
    05-15-15 09:26 AM
    No bunga, no C'Boys here. I won't rule out the loafers though! You'll be the first to know when I pull the trigger.

On a BBRY note, I'm a bit confused about the SP action this week and would like to see if anyone here can give a shot at an explanation. So we shot up 6% on Monday on an AAPL buyout rumor. I don't think anyone here really expects it to be true, but I'll take the 6%. We now have the whole week behind us and there has not been as much as a whisper from either party to confirm or deny the rumor, yet we seem to have some support in the low $10's. Prior to the rumor, we were in a bit of a down trend and were looking for a reversal. Other than the AAPL rumor, I don't see any other near term drivers and I was expecting a gradual recession back into the upper $9 range. The DOW and Nasdaq haven't had a major breakout, so I would attribute BBRY's strength to that either.

My question is, do we expect the uptrend to continue to the top of the channel ($11, I believe)? If so, will we need news or overall market strength to achieve it? I know it may not be the popular opinion, but I worry we may be stuck at $10 for a long time, which is basically where we've been since June '14, or until we start to see a material increase in revenues. I think it may be time for another chart.

I should also clarify that I have looked at my BBRY investment as a 5-10 year term from the start, although I never expect to accumulate as many shares as I currently hold. I never expected a rapid turnaround either, but did expect a more gradual increase. I am very happy with BlackBerry fundamentally, so my investment thesis holds. Its just been quite a test of patience waiting for the climb to continue. Truthfully, this forum has been the lifeline to that patience. So thank you!
    IMO. Some major short player exiting BlackBerry is causing some increased SP.

By. BlackBerry Passport User
    05-15-15 09:39 AM
    Nothing really major, but I don't believe this has been posted yet. If so, apologies.

Up to 1:55
    BNN - Watch TV Online | Could Apple REALLY buy BlackBerry?

Tue, May 12, 2015 - 8:30 AM
    Peter Misek, managing partner, DN Capital joins BNN's The Street for a look at why Apple buying BlackBerry could make sense.
    05-15-15 10:01 AM
    Is that the "marked to market" value, not their average price?

That's the closing price of the stock when the filing was done, it has nothing to do with their cost basis (obviously it doesn't include the bond conversion at $ 10.00). Their cost basis is related to the high purchases just below $ 18.00/shr/US plus the purchases during the proposed sale of the company less the realized sale of 9 MM shares just above $ 10.00/shr/US after agreeing to make a bond purchase. When you factor in all of those deals, they are holding BBRY at around the $ 13.40/shr/US mark today.
    05-15-15 10:51 AM
    05-15-15 11:01 AM
    Someone's Algorithmic Analysis on BlackBerry:

http://iknowfirst.com/blackberry-sto...ictions-for-q2

(edit):

Here is a block chart with other companies included. It shows how (fabulously awesome?) their predictions are:

Attachment 352964

Is anyone using them with success? Almost seems like this system should be used along side of the famous graphic charts that we are so used to seeing. I heard that banks, etc. Use software prediction bots.
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 05-15-15 at 11:50 AM.
    05-15-15 11:13 AM
    Nothing really major, but I don't believe this has been posted yet. If so, apologies.

Up to 1:55
    BNN - Watch TV Online | Could Apple REALLY buy BlackBerry?
    Oh, these non-bb10 friendly links! Lol.
    05-15-15 11:15 AM
    Ah ha ha

Good to know Chen is willing to humour us to gain customers.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-cfdrwk1wmaavbgo.jpg

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Andrew4life; 05-15-15 at 12:04 PM.
    05-15-15 11:20 AM
    Looks like Vanguard's Primecap fund increased its BBRY position by 5.78% as of 3/31/15:

BlackBerry Limited (BBRY) Institutional Ownership & Holdings - NASDAQ.com
    kadakn01, Corbu, jxnb and 13 others like this.
    05-15-15 11:58 AM
    [video]https://youtu.be/4fk2prKnYnI[/url]

RIP
    A REAL Musician and Legend ... one of my forefathers (not just of colour and pride, yet inspiration).

BB you earned your KING-dom. The Lord will be waiting and the angels ready to get down.
    awindsr, zyben and Superfly_FR like this.
    05-15-15 12:11 PM
    Mr John Chen,
    B1aze,
    BlackBerry
    BBRY
    BB
    @JohnChen
    @BlackBerry

This Is How a Driverless Truck Works!
    * already happening in the state of Nevada!!!
    This Is How a Driverless Truck Works - Bloomberg Business

^ This is right up BlackBerry's alley!
    05-15-15 12:13 PM
    OT: Security related.

Thousands of CRA employees fell for fake phishing e-mail test

Thousands of CRA employees fell for fake phishing e-mail test - The Globe and Mail
    My company did one of these. I got an email that I knew was a phishing scam, and it was a simple URL link (not an .exe/.bat/any script that could run). I was curious how "well done" the design was. So I know that on my Blackberry, it not going to get into the O/S to change any settings. I click the link and it directs to a page that says you fell for a phishing scam and need to be more aware.

For your average Joe, sure, maybe close enough. But I haven't fallen for it until I've entered my credentials into that page, otherwise there is zero harm. Peeved me right off how that 'test' was designed and what constituted being tricked.
    05-15-15 12:48 PM

Need to see revenues go up not down. And software hopefully hitting the 90-110M range next ER. Then we go up. JC said at one time he is a quarter ahead, I feel he is a quarter behind. Everything else JC is working on will be gravy.....cross platform productivity suite, QNX IoT, QNX Auto (adding Ford), partnership with Apple (maybe QNX will be the power in Apples IoT devices).
    Mr BBRY likes this.
    05-15-15 12:55 PM
    Ah ha ha

Good to know Chen is willing to humour us to gain customers.

Name:	CFDrwK1WMAAvbGO.jpg 
Views:	5384 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	352963

Posted via CB10
    Hahaha love that

#BBFactCheck
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-15-15 01:31 PM
    Need to see revenues go up not down. And software hopefully hitting the 90-110M range next ER. Then we go up. JC said at one time he is a quarter ahead, I feel he is a quarter behind. Everything else JC is working on will be gravy.....cross platform productivity suite, QNX IoT, QNX Auto (adding Ford), partnership with Apple (maybe QNX will be the power in Apples IoT devices).
    In ER he mentioned he was quarter ahead. But subsequent interviews gave me the feeling that he is 2 or even 3 quarters behind.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 01:47 PM
113,256 ... 33663367336833693370 ...