Looks like the media is trying to cause a stir again *sigh*

http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/27/tech...hip/index.html

Posted via CB10
    awindsr likes this.
    04-27-15 11:49 PM
    Looks like the media is trying to cause a stir again *sigh*

http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/27/tech...hip/index.html

Posted via CB10
    And this is a secret? It's been well documented that Chen wants to broaden and secure all devices via BlackBerry software.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76, rarsen, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    04-27-15 11:58 PM
    QT is gaining serious traction. It's cross platform like Java but it runs natively on the system it is running on.
    I happened to have installed software from SiliconDust today and found it to be built by QT. Blackberry Blend uses QT as well.

Java was revolutionary because programmers were able to write software once in a high level language and the binaries could be interpreted on windows, mac, and Linux. There was no need to learn the intricacies of each kernel, windowing system, hardware abstraction, etc... The downsides are that it had to be interpreted and this has a huge performance penalty and is a resource hog.

QT is nice because it doesn't have a runtime. The QT dlls are bundled with the application and it's a lot closer to machine language. It already works on Windows, Mac, Linux, BB10, Android..

Now, who will own the QT Cross-platform App store?

Boom!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 12:03 AM
    QT is gaining serious traction. It's cross platform like Java but it runs natively on the system it is running on.
    I happened to have installed software from SiliconDust today and found it to be built by QT. Blackberry Blend uses QT as well.

Java was revolutionary because programmers were able to write software once in a high level language and the binaries could be interpreted on windows, mac, and Linux. There was no need to learn the intricacies of each kernel, windowing system, hardware abstraction, etc... The downsides are that it had to be interpreted and this has a huge performance penalty and is a resource hog.

QT is nice because it doesn't have a runtime. The QT dlls are bundled with the application and it's a lot closer to machine language. It already works on Windows, Mac, Linux, BB10, Android..

Now, who will own the QT Cross-platform App store?

Boom!!!

Posted via CB10
    Nice posts on Qt. But I am not sure if it is a big deal (yet). Qt apps will work on Android, ios, BlackBerry, Windows Phones only if these OSes allow you to run those apps. If Apple refuses to let Qt apps in their app-store, app won't even be available to ios.

Apple doesn't allow Java on their device. So, you can't run apps written in Java (for Android) on ios. Same applies to Qt.

Mobile OS are not like desktop os where you can install whatever you like. What you can execute on mobile OS is controlled by OS owners (Apple, Android/Google, BlackBerry, Microsoft). If they don't allow Qt, it won't work.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen likes this.
    04-28-15 12:31 AM
    Thanks for that post showing that very interesting comment. Some questions here are

How many people are using Qt studio for iOS and android development. This would tell us what our app conversion base would be.

What kind of support and how good is Qt for building apps in it.

I'll try and look it up

Posted via CB10
    According to this thread in the dev forum there doesn't seem to be a future for QT development for BB10

http://forums.crackberry.com/bb-10-d...uture-1010596/
    From the link in the thread.
    After discussing this with Bernd, who maintains the QNX platform together with
    myself, we have decided to mark the BlackBerry 10 platform unsupported.

According to BlackBerry, they are still committed to Qt4 releases, but have no
    plans for Qt5. With that in mind, and given the fact that we have limited
    resources, maintaining the BB10 port becomes an unfeasible task, and we prefer
    to focus on stock QNX, which remains unaffected by this announcement.

The plan is to keep the BB10 plugin around for now (just that we will no longer be
    officially supporting it), but eventually we plan to remove it completely from
    the Qt codebase in case no one looks after it. We will keep it around while it
    still works, but there will be no committment on keeping it working.
    laketrout73 likes this.
    04-28-15 12:41 AM
    Hey guys. I could ask the "forum" but I'd rather ask you all. I have my recently deceased fathers Z10. I want to give it to my brother as he needs one, but I also want him to have the pics and other stuff I haven't deleted as he may find some solace in it. Is there a way to disassociate the BBID without wiping or will I have to wipe and selectively restore?
    Corbu, bungaboy, sidhuk and 2 others like this.
    04-28-15 12:50 AM
    Hey guys. I could ask the "forum" but I'd rather ask you all. I have my recently deceased fathers Z10. I want to give it to my brother as he needs one, but I also want him to have the pics and other stuff I haven't deleted as he may find some solace in it. Is there a way to disassociate the BBID without wiping or will I have to wipe and selectively restore?
    - Connect phone to computer using USB cable and enable mass storage mode (settings > storage)
    - Copy data to a folder in your computer.
    - Wipe the device.
    - Associate new BlackBerry ID
    - Connect device to computer using mass storage mode
    - Copy data from computer folder to BlackBerry folder.

This won't restore contacts though. For contacts, you could use apps like contacts imex to export contacts to a. CSV (etc) file and later import them with that app again.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, Corbu, morganplus8 and 9 others like this.
    04-28-15 01:13 AM
    OT here!!!!! ... any thoughts out there??.. is this a good time to enter / take a long position in a company like ACAD or any other specific biotech co?

Thanks!

LONG bb.to

Posted via CB10
    I'll say something here as I don't think your question has been answered. Here is the IBB Index, as you can see, it has been a stellar ride for Biotech, now, we are at a very important inflection point:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-halo-april-28-2015.png

As you can see, yesterday's close is less than a point away from the index breaking down below its all important 50-dma. If the index confirms this breakdown, you will be able to buy ACAD, HALO or others at some very good pricing. So today is a very important day and I know I'll be watching for some selling to increase giving us a Buy opportunity.

Let's see where the Index trades today, that will tell us where to price our purchases. The drop will be no more than 10%, likely 5% and short-lived, but every dime is important when you buy on volume. I should mention that the DOW Jones is worth watching today as well, it is near its 50-dma too. GL
    bungaboy, Corbu, Mr BBRY and 13 others like this.
    04-28-15 07:21 AM
    Nice posts on Qt. But I am not sure if it is a big deal (yet). Qt apps will work on Android, ios, BlackBerry, Windows Phones only if these OSes allow you to run those apps. If Apple refuses to let Qt apps in their app-store, app won't even be available to ios.

Apple doesn't allow Java on their device. So, you can't run apps written in Java (for Android) on ios. Same applies to Qt.

Mobile OS are not like desktop os where you can install whatever you like. What you can execute on mobile OS is controlled by OS owners (Apple, Android/Google, BlackBerry, Microsoft). If they don't allow Qt, it won't work.

Posted via CB10
    Hi Chris, not quite. You're thinking runtime. QT compiles natively. They use compiler directives to accommodate the various architectures. The destination is the processor.

Imagine creating a text file. It doesn't matter if you use Notepad, or Write or even Word as long as the output is text.

I think the hurdles Chen is facing are not technical.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 08:17 AM
    Tuesday 28 April 2015 | 14:42 CET | News

BlackBerry announced tthat Colombian firm Caprecom, which operates in the health services insurance sector and pension fund management, chose to upgrade to BES12, a multi-OS EMM solution by BlackBerry. BES12 centralises device management from one, unified console and supports iOS, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry 10 and BlackBerry OS devices. At the same time, BES12 allows immediate and secure access to corporate information and applications to the Caprecom mobile workforce throughout Colombia.
    Caprecom chooses BlackBerry cross-platform BES12 - Telecompaper
    04-28-15 08:44 AM
    Options alert: Blackberry July $13.00 call; 2788 contract trade at ask price @ 0.16.

Someone betting for the price to be at $13.00 come July.
    04-28-15 08:52 AM
    Options alert: Blackberry July $13.00 call; 2788 contract trade at ask price @ 0.16.

Someone betting for the price to be at $13.00 come July.
    That's a hefty $45,000 bet.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen likes this.
    04-28-15 08:59 AM
    FWIW: Latest from QNX with QT implementation discussion, etc. Some follow up from yesterday's postings.

The QNX� SDK for Apps and Media includes a fully ported, integrated, and optimized version of Qt that enables development teams to "Code Less. Create More". The Qt implementation on QNX features the following benefits:
    QNX SDK for Apps and Media

Interesting tidbit.
    The iOS interface supports various Apple models, generations, and firmware releases. The iPod interface software conforms to the relevant sections of the Apple iPod Accessory Interface Protocol Specification Release. Embedded system developers can use this interface software in conjunction with hardware that complies with the Apple iPod/iPhone Hardware Specification Release. These specifications are available from Apple.
    QNX SDK for Apps and Media
    04-28-15 09:10 AM
    OT Alert: AAPL

I'm proud of how little AAPL talk is taking place in here today after another "record" quarter. I hope to not stir any debate or prolonged discussion, but my only comment is that you gotta love the head fake this stock took out of the gate, starting up 2% at $134.54 and then quickly falling into the red. It's like the market cheered for the headlines until reality hit them when someone said, "how much longer can this stock stay inflated by this buyback program?"
    04-28-15 09:22 AM
    That's a hefty $45,000 bet.

Posted via CB10
    Wonder if that person knows something or is just speculation?
    04-28-15 09:37 AM
    04-28-15 09:57 AM
    OT Alert: AAPL

I'm proud of how little AAPL talk is taking place in here today after another "record" quarter. I hope to not stir any debate or prolonged discussion, but my only comment is that you gotta love the head fake this stock took out of the gate, starting up 2% at $134.54 and then quickly falling into the red. It's like the market cheered for the headlines until reality hit them when someone said, "how much longer can this stock stay inflated by this buyback program?"
    I don't care really, but I think astronomical sales and profits probably have something to do with it as well.

Posted via CB10
    Eumaeus likes this.
    04-28-15 10:03 AM
    I was very disheartened with John Chen's interview yesterday with CNBC. Look at how he attempted to sell BB10 phones.

CNBC: "At one point, almost every one of our listeners had a BlackBerry. What are you going to do to win them back?"

Chen: "We are going to focus on security, privacy and productivity. The battery last forever, the keyboard and all that stuff. It is really about creating the next cool phones.

CNBC: "How do you say come back to BlackBerry?"

Chen: "Applications has been one of our achilles heel..."

This is just awful. Chen is acting like he has a terrible product to sell when he actually has the best product on the market to sell. I would have whipped out a Passport and said, "They should come back because BlackBerry is making the most innovative, productive phones of any company in the smartphone space. If you value your time then you need a BlackBerry. Apple is yesterday's technology where you are forced to go from one app to another to answer a text then an email, you miss messages because there is not a notification light and your messages are in seven different locations. On Blackberry 10, all your messages are in one location, you can attach multiple files in an email, respond to messages without leaving the app you are in, and you can minimize whatever video you may be watching, whether that is a CNBC video or Youtube to respond to a text or email without the video pausing. Our phones are built for people on the move. Also, you can customize keyboard shortcuts which will save valuable time over the course of a day so it will be one click to call your client or boss and one click to open up your favorite app. And on top of that, we are the world leader in security, I heard that the Russians were able to read Pres. Obama's email but not the ones on his BlackBerry. That says something right there. If you pick up a Classic or Passport you will not be disappointed."

If I were an employee of BlackBerry, I would be incredibly disappointed and demoralized that Chen is not trumpeting the products and technology that I have worked so hard to make a reality. Make no mistake, Blackberry needs devices to increase revenues and become profitable. Unfortunately, Chen's performance yesterday makes me rethink my investment in BBRY and that is tough for me to say.
    rarsen and georg4BB like this.
    04-28-15 10:04 AM
    I was very disheartened with John Chen's interview yesterday with CNBC. Look at how he attempted to sell BB10 phones.

CNBC: "At one point, almost every one of our listeners had a BlackBerry. What are you going to do to win them back?"

Chen: "We are going to focus on security, privacy and productivity. The battery last forever, the keyboard and all that stuff. It is really about creating the next cool phones.

This is just awful. Chen is acting like he has a terrible product to sell when he actually has the best product on the market to sell. I would have whipped out a Passport and said, "They should come back because BlackBerry is making the most innovative, productive phones of any company in the smartphone space. If you value your time then you need a BlackBerry. Apple is yesterday's technology where you are forced to go from one app to another to answer a text then an email, you miss messages because there is not a notification light and your messages are in seven different locations. On Blackberry 10, all your messages are in one location, you can attach multiple files in an email, respond to messages without leaving the app you are in, and you can minimize whatever video you may be watching, whether that is a CNBC video or Youtube to respond to a text or email without the video pausing. Our phones are built for people on the move. Also, you can customize keyboard shortcuts which will save valuable time over the course of a day so it will be one click to call your client or boss and one click to open up your favorite app. And on top of that, we are the world leader in security, I heard that the Russians were able to read Pres. Obama's email but not the ones on his BlackBerry. That says something right there. If you pick up a Classic or Passport you will not be disappointed."

If I were an employee of BlackBerry, I would be incredibly disappointed and demoralized that Chen is not trumpeting the products and technology that I have worked so hard to make a reality. Make no mistake, Blackberry needs devices to increase revenues and become profitable. Unfortunately, Chen's performance yesterday makes me rethink my investment in BBRY and that is tough for me to say.
    That is a solid elevator speech. Well done.
    rarsen and georg4BB like this.
    04-28-15 10:15 AM

I do agree. I wasn't too thrilled about his responses either. Chen has to highlight what we do have, not what we're supposedly lacking.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 10:24 AM
    completely unrelated but do any of you plan on buying gbi.a today?

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sailpgd View Post
    Perhaps you missed these quotes:

And he acknowledged that to win back previous customers they need new and cutting edge apps:

Applications have been one of our Achilles Heels last two years. We are doing things about it, we are working hard at it.
    �Something brewing, yeah, I�m working on something. We�re working a lot on enterprise apps. As with healthcare. I think there�s a new generation of apps coming.�

I like Chen's approach. He is measured and truthful in what he says. I prefer honesty to hyperbole.
    04-28-15 10:53 AM
    Perhaps you missed these quotes:

And he acknowledged that to win back previous customers they need new and cutting edge apps:

Applications have been one of our Achilles Heels last two years. We are doing things about it, we are working hard at it.
    “Something brewing, yeah, I’m working on something. We’re working a lot on enterprise apps. As with healthcare. I think there’s a new generation of apps coming.”

I like Chen's approach. He is measured and truthful in what he says. I prefer honesty to hyperbole.
    I totally agree with you, the last thing we need is another disingenuous CEO like the one at MOBL or T-Mobile, Yahoo etc., take your pick. We all know that CNBC has it in for BlackBerry because BlackBerry doesn't start with an "A" and end with an "E". So why wouldn't he appease them and say, "yeah, we screwed up, that's the past, we are here for you when you decide to own products with security in mind. We are that other phone company".

I think he did a good job considering the interviewer has mocked BB for years now. If he was with Amber, now that would have been a solid performance! (PS> Have you seen their latest addition to BBN? Hot stuff there, can't remember her name but ...... nice, I digress).
    La Emperor, W Hoa, zyben and 15 others like this.
    04-28-15 11:03 AM
    Jim Caviezel with his P'9983:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-10919235_352417404960505_511356280_n.jpg
    04-28-15 11:19 AM
    I totally agree with you, the last thing we need is another disingenuous CEO like the one at MOBL or T-Mobile, Yahoo etc., take your pick. We all know that CNBC has it in for BlackBerry because BlackBerry doesn't start with an "A" and end with an "E". So why wouldn't he appease them and say, "yeah, we screwed up, that's the past, we are here for you when you decide to own products with security in mind. We are that other phone company".

I think he did a good job considering the interviewer has mocked BB for years now. If he was with Amber, now that would have been a solid performance! (PS> Have you seen their latest addition to BBN? Hot stuff there, can't remember her name but ...... nice, I digress).
    And after all the Blackberry bashing by this reporter, he tell us that he also uses a blackberry (hypocrite: a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements). and the lady tells/corrects him that, he uses blackberry because, it is a Good phone, not because he is a "Canadian".
    CDM76, zyben, morganplus8 and 5 others like this.
    04-28-15 11:23 AM
113,256 ... 33443345334633473348 ...