View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/3094...-threat-to-ibm

Is A Combined BlackBerry And WatchDox A Threat To IBM? - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY)

Summary

BlackBerry is reportedly acquiring WatchDox, an enterprise that allows users to secure data in the cloud or on-premise.
    Gartner expects data stored in the cloud to grow exponentially. Providers of cloud security also could profit from that growth.
    IBM is a leader in cloud data storage and also provides security for the cloud.
    WatchDox could strengthen BlackBerry's EMM offerings and allow the company to go head-to-head with IBM in cloud security.
    BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) is reportedly acquiring WatchDox, a provider of enterprise file-sharing solutions that allow users to protect, share and edit files on any device. The platform allows end users to control files once shared by deleting or revoking access to them, and secure them in the cloud or on-site. According to BlackBerry CEO John Chen,

This acquisition represents another key step forward as we transition BlackBerry into the premier platform for secure mobile communications software and applications, supporting all devices and operating systems. Together with last year's Secusmart acquisition, Samsung partnership, our own internal development efforts, and now the acquisition of WatchDox, we now have capabilities to secure communications end-to-end from voice, text, messaging, data and now enterprise file-sync-and share.

The company will use WatchDox as a value-added service complementing its BES12 enterprise mobility management ("EMM") offering. The explosive growth of mobile devices has created a need for cloud computing - a network of remote servers hosted on the Internet. These computer networks also can store, manage and process data that's accessible online. That said, the more data that gets stored in the cloud, the more opportunities there are for data to get leaked. There's also a growing need for solutions to protect that data. Well-known data breaches such as WikiLeaks have made it paramount for organizations to protect data share inside and outside an organization.

Is IBM In BlackBerry's Cross Hairs?

A natural reaction would be to think BlackBerry is attempting to compete with Box (NYSE:BOX); Box also provides a cloud-based platform that allows users to share and protect data from any device. However, I believe BlackBerry has set its sights much higher - IBM (NYSE:IBM). IBM entered the cloud storage space in 2013 through the acquisition of Softlayer Technologies. IBM currently ranks among the top providers of cloud services behind Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) and Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT).

The market for cloud storage is expected to grow exponentially. According to Gartner, "worldwide consumer digital storage needs will grow from 329 exabytes in 2011 to 4.1 zettabytes in 2016." That said, IBM's biggest advantage may be in providing security for the cloud. According to IBM, its cloud security also protects workloads whether in the cloud or on premise - its cloud security features may have previously given its enterprise mobility management ("EMM") platform - MobileFirst - a perceived advantage vis-a-vis BES12. That may now change with a BlackBerry WatchDox deal.

Conclusion

The WatchDox deal may remove any perceived weaknesses in the BlackBerry EMM platform and allow the company to threaten IBM in cloud security. This is another savvy acquisition that fits with BlackBerry's push to remain best-in-class in security. I am long BBRY.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 08:16 PM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    So, like where's the outrage? Where's the media slaughter on MobileIron?

You know what it would be like if it was BlackBerry, don't you.

Only two negative headlines.

Attachment 349140

Yes Motley Fool sums it up well:

MobileIron faces a tremendous amount of competition from a slew of big technology companies including Microsoft, IBM, and BlackBerry, and the large deals that the company failed to close during the first quarter may have gone to the competition.

"MobileIron has never turned a profit, and its free cash flow has been consistently negative. The company had $118 million in cash on the balance sheet at the end of 2014, largely from its IPO last year, but this cash is quickly dwindling. At the current rate that MobileIron is burning cash, the company will need to raise money within the next 2-3 years in order to stay afloat, assuming things don't get worse.

The market severely punished MobileIron for a small guidance cut, signaling that the stock's valuation may be on its way back to reality. Revenue growth is slowing, losses are piling up, and the company is having trouble closing important deals. None of this bodes well for the future of the company or the stock."
    Corbu, Mr BBRY, rarsen and 11 others like this.
    04-23-15 08:23 PM
    Wonder if JC and Patrick will divulge any info on their collaboration....

Will be interesting to see.
    04-23-15 08:54 PM
    I just fired up my backup device (Passport - Man, what an awesome device!) for some nostalgia / easier online shopping / CB reading and came across the following notification in my hub. Aside from wanting to share these nice discounts with you fine people, I also find it interesting that BlackBerry is offering promotions via BlackBerry notifications. I can see this aiding slightly in device sales this quarter.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150423_215201.png

Good night all, congrats on a great day and another sincere THANK YOU to Morgan for steering so many here towards profitable investments! I hope we all find a way to collectively repay you for your invaluable service provided on this thread!

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    04-23-15 09:03 PM
    I just fired up my backup device (Passport - Man, what an awesome device!) for some nostalgia / easier online shopping / CB reading and came across the following notification in my hub. Aside from wanting to share these nice discounts with you fine people, I also find it interesting that BlackBerry is offering promotions via BlackBerry notifications. I can see this aiding slightly in device sales this quarter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150423_215201.png 
Views:	2145 
Size:	177.9 KB 
ID:	349161

Good night all, congrats on a great day and another sincere THANK YOU to Morgan for steering so many here towards profitable investments! I hope we all find a way to collectively repay you for your invaluable service provided on this thread!

Interesting. I haven't received that on my Z30 nor on my Q10. Great deals though !!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 10:09 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150423_215201.png 
Views:	2145 
Size:	177.9 KB 
ID:	349161

I didn't get this notification. But how much are Passport, Classic after discount based on this offer?

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 01:32 AM
    OT: Remember the Home Depot Hack?

Just saw this "update" on their home page....

Customer update on data breach

Today, we are providing an update on the investigation into the breach of our payment data systems. Our investigation to date has determined the hackers stole separate files containing email addresses, in addition to the payment card data we announced in September that may have been compromised.

The files containing the stolen email addresses did not contain passwords, payment card information or other sensitive personal information. As we reported on Sept. 18, the method of entry used by the hackers has been closed and the malware eliminated from our systems.

We are making every effort to notify any customer whose email address was taken.

In all likelihood this will not impact you. But, as always, it�s important to be on guard against phishing scams that are designed to trick you to provide personal information in response to phony emails. It is important not to give out personal information on the phone, through the mail or on the Internet, unless you have initiated the contact and are sure of who you�re dealing with. Similarly, you should not click directly on any email links if you have any doubts about whether the email comes from a legitimate source.

Additional information about how to avoid phishing scams is available by typing https://www.onguardonline.gov/articles/0003-phishing into your web browser.

We want to emphasize that you will not be liable for any fraudulent charges to your accounts and we�re offering free identity protection services, including credit monitoring, to any customer who used a payment card at a Home Depot store in 2014, from April on.

You can learn more about the identity protection services and how to sign up for them by typing https://homedepot.allclearid.com into your web browser.

As always, it is also important to closely monitor your payment card accounts and to report unusual activity to your issuing bank.

We apologize for the frustration and inconvenience this breach may have caused.
    04-24-15 06:24 AM
    AMZN, who is friendly with BBRY is up 12% PM on big earnings. Just sayin...

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    04-24-15 07:10 AM
    OT: Remember the Home Depot Hack?

Just saw this "update" on their home page....

Customer update on data breach

Today, we are providing an update on the investigation into the breach of our payment data systems. Our investigation to date has determined the hackers stole separate files containing email addresses, in addition to the payment card data we announced in September that may have been compromised.

The files containing the stolen email addresses did not contain passwords, payment card information or other sensitive personal information. As we reported on Sept. 18, the method of entry used by the hackers has been closed and the malware eliminated from our systems.

We are making every effort to notify any customer whose email address was taken.

In all likelihood this will not impact you. But, as always, it�s important to be on guard against phishing scams that are designed to trick you to provide personal information in response to phony emails. It is important not to give out personal information on the phone, through the mail or on the Internet, unless you have initiated the contact and are sure of who you�re dealing with. Similarly, you should not click directly on any email links if you have any doubts about whether the email comes from a legitimate source.

Additional information about how to avoid phishing scams is available by typing https://www.onguardonline.gov/articles/0003-phishing into your web browser.

We want to emphasize that you will not be liable for any fraudulent charges to your accounts and we�re offering free identity protection services, including credit monitoring, to any customer who used a payment card at a Home Depot store in 2014, from April on.

You can learn more about the identity protection services and how to sign up for them by typing https://homedepot.allclearid.com into your web browser.

As always, it is also important to closely monitor your payment card accounts and to report unusual activity to your issuing bank.

We apologize for the frustration and inconvenience this breach may have caused.
    Thanks for this...

Classically Posted.
    04-24-15 07:12 AM
    QNX article in Popular Mechanics...I don't agree with their phone statement (go figure) but the rest is pretty positive: http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...lackberry-qnx/

Classically Posted.
    Corbu, rarsen, 3MIKE and 8 others like this.
    04-24-15 07:14 AM
    Option expiry day , going to be a battle
    04-24-15 07:53 AM
    Option expiry day , going to be a battle
    Down to $9 we go. Shakes head at SEC.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 07:59 AM
    Down to $9 we go. Shakes head at SEC.

Posted via CB10
    We are either going to under 10 or over 10:50 lol
    04-24-15 08:31 AM
    OT: Wow, HALO's unstoppable. Congratulations to all you long time holders. I missed out for the most part, was in-and-out for a trade, but couldn't find a good long entry point. Turns out anywhere would have been!

Thanks Morgan for all your efforts!! I think I'll take your advice on PSDV. Hopefully a year from now I'll be celebrating with you all .

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, sidhuk, Corbu and 5 others like this.
    04-24-15 10:01 AM
    OT: Yeah! Citrix Receiver got updated to work on OS10.3+. Boo works like crap still.

On Z30 it doesn't display correctly. On Passport, the touch enabled keyboard doesn't act like a mouse. Wish I had a Classic to see if the touchpad works as a mouse.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 10:02 AM
    Love this run on BBRY! Just when it was running out of steam, along comes MobileRust to add a little more fuel. I hope Chen has one more big piece of news for the next couple weeks to keep us running.

Be interesting to see where we are going into late May. I think we can expect some more manipulation, so I may try to dodge some of that this round.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 10:05 AM
    Hi all,

Just popping in. Loving the action on HALO and still have quite a bit of PSDV!

One thing I wanted to ask M+8 was his thoughts on HALO getting potential breakthrough status. I was under the impression that the FDA was reviewing data for this? If that's the case, is selling shares the best idea?

Best,
    Derek
    OT ALERT HALO

Hi Derek !

Sorry for the delay, glad to hear you are interested in HALO too. Here is the update on that fast track meeting:

"Following a meeting with the FDA in 1Q15, the company has now announced its plans to commence a global registration based Phase 3 pancreatic cancer study in 1Q16. The pivotal trial is to be conducted in patients with pancreatic tumors that have high levels of hyaluronan (HA), and regulatory approval could be based on either overall survival (OS) or progression free survival (PFS).

Read more: http://www.benzinga.com/analyst-ratings/analyst-color/15/04/5392318/mlv-were-reiterating-a-buy-on-halozyme#ixzz3WkosaQht"

We are lucky to have this news but it is still a year away for the Phase III launch. I believe they are waiting for the Phase II data to become available which will start rolling in soon as it is an open label study with periodic updates. While this is great news, we need to focus on that Phase II study and we should hear from the company in the months ahead, I really like the prospects for the second half of this year. They could announce several partnerships along the way so don't think that my selling of 40% of our holdings in anyway suggests I don't love the investment. If it were to drop back to support I would buy everything back and 10% more as I did on the sell-off to $ 13.50/shr recently.

The chart looks like this:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-halo-april-24-2015.png

We are over-bought short-term, there is a line that suggests a top here, that's my exit point. The stock itself is rock solid today, holding very well which suggests that all the stock is tied up in long term holdings, nothing to trade at this point and a healthy short position in the name too. Don't feel I have anything against this trade, I'm taking $ 16.80/shr and hoping to double those funds something I don't think HALO can do in the weeks ahead. Good luck and welcome back!
    04-24-15 10:05 AM
    Morgan+8.
    Thank you so Much for your input in to this thread. I have personally benefited from your "opinions". BBRY, HALO Etc.
    And most importantly, staying along during tough times to provide, much needed discussions.

Posted with BlackBerry Passport
    04-24-15 10:24 AM
    Happy day gang!
    I am happy with BBRY today's action with light volume.
    Yesterday after selling 30% of my HALO I bought DARA at $0.77 I am not advising people to invest in DARA but I feel like they have a some potential. (just sharing)
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    04-24-15 11:34 AM
    04-24-15 11:50 AM
    Skimmed through MOBL's call transcript again. What a bunch of garbage. The answers the CEO provided analysts simply don't align with the numbers. This is my personal favorite:

"If you look at our pipeline going into Q1 and in the first half of the year and Q3, Q4, our pipeline is actually never been bigger than it is today. So when we look at long-term growth rate, we still believe that this is a 30% to 35% plus growth rate market for the foreseeable future."

Really? The reality is that the company has flat lined for the last 3 quarters. And what about all the traction they are seeing in every vertical except energy? Particularly regulated industries where they are seeing growth accelerating?

Something doesn't smell right.
    Maybe he was being honest...he is seeing traction accelerate, particularly in regulated industries....for Blackberry BES service
    ... remember ? : "BES Cloud is gonna hit some hard".
    One of the key reason of MOBL problems if you ask me. Past history has no real value. Starting now, there's a new player in the place. And many small-medium sized oponents are freaking .
    04-24-15 12:05 PM
    04-24-15 12:12 PM
    Hi Gang,

I've been laying low, reading the thread and just following along. I just landed a 1 year contract after an extended stint out of the workforce and I wrote my first canadian securities exam on the same day I started my (unrelated) job. So I'm batting above 500! Thanks to all the regulars for the great info on BBRY and the other OT tickers that float around here. I've managed to get my portfolio into the green thanks to all the great analysis on your part and some good timing on my part. The Wife has already laid claim to my first paycheck (and most of the following ones) but I'm sure I can shave off a few bucks here and there for investing in the right places.

OT
    right now, I'm looking at Canadian Solar (CSIQ) as a possible alternative for some of my gains. they have been on a steady climb since they popped in the beginning of the year. P/E is low relative to their peers and they had some solid earning in the last quarter. I'll try to post some analysis here or in SF's other thread. If anybody else has been looking at it let me know what your thoughts are.

Thanks again and good luck to everybody.

04-24-15 12:23 PM
    ... remember ? : "BES Cloud is gonna hit some hard".
    One of the key reason of MOBL problems if you ask me. Past history has no real value. Starting now, there's a new player in the place. And many small-medium sized oponents are freaking .
    Yep BES Cloud is huge. Not many want to run their own infrastructure. Blackberry Security reputation and cloud offering is a big draw...especially now that they are financially stable...unlike MOBL.

I expect MOBL to start bleeding customers, not gaining. BBRY will be a net benefactor, and investors see that given the SP rise this week...
    04-24-15 12:24 PM
    Bummer man.
    This news affects me more than many folks, as I was really jazzed over what TAT accomplished, and the potential for future BlackBerry devices.
    I am looking forward to the why in upcoming news.
    04-24-15 12:33 PM
113,256 ... 33383339334033413342 ...