View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Reading up on the S6 edge people say it's the most premium and advanced feeling phone they've ever held and seen. The screen quality is the best on the market. I'm sure the 16MP lens is pretty good too.

Rumours suggest the slider will use the edge screen and the lens. Now add a slider pkb to this phone with the blackberry device quality and you know it will be one seriously premium device. If the pbk on the slider has a good feel, the reviews will have to give it credit. It could be the device that turns around the market share trend. The hub accounts will certainly be on the edge as android also has made a similar hub list of communication app icons.

Would love to see this phone out by August before the 6S...

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 10:54 PM
    I'll say it simply. Most people don't know what they want. Apple and Samsung have told everyone that they want a full touch. Unless Blackberry changes the narrative through advertising, they need a low and mid/high end phone that is full touch.

A slider that doubles as a full touch will be perceived as a qwerty phone. It won't work in that segment. I personally won't pay for one because I know some of the cost I am enduring is due to the fact that there is a keyboard that I do not want.

Actually, my Z10 is up for renewal. It has been for a while I think. But I need a full touch. That is all that I want. Tell me how to get he Passport into an armband and I would consider it.
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-06-15 11:22 PM
    I'll say it simply. Most people don't know what they want. Apple and Samsung have told everyone that they want a full touch. Unless Blackberry changes the narrative through advertising, they need a low and mid/high end phone that is full touch.

A slider that doubles as a full touch will be perceived as a qwerty phone. It won't work in that segment. I personally won't pay for one because I know some of the cost I am enduring is due to the fact that there is a keyboard that I do not want.

Actually, my Z10 is up for renewal. It has been for a while I think. But I need a full touch. That is all that I want. Tell me how to get he Passport into an armband and I would consider it.
    Need the hulksters 24" pythons and it's not a problem.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, Mr BBRY, spike12 and 4 others like this.
    04-07-15 12:01 AM

Will Microsoft Corporation Crush BlackBerry Ltd.?

Thus far, CEO John Chen has done a fantastic job turning around BlackBerry Ltd. (TSX:BB)(NASDAQ:BBRY). When he took over in late 2013, there were serious concerns the company wouldn�t survive, but he has successfully cut costs and refocused the company. Those concerns are not nearly as prominent today.

So, now begins the next stage of BlackBerry�s recovery, one that involves stopping its slide in revenues. In order to accomplish this, Mr. Chen hopes to increase software-related sales to US$500 million per year. It�s a tall order considering that this number is still under US$250 million.

Now that challenge has become even harder thanks to Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ:MSFT).

A new offering

BlackBerry�s software ambitions are in Mobile Device Management (MDM), which allows enterprise customers to manage its employees� phones and tablets. MDM has grown substantially in recent years and is now a $4 billion industry.

In late March Microsoft announced that some MDM features will be included at no additional cost in all Office 365 commercial plans. What does this mean? Well, in plain English, if you�re a small- to medium-sized company, and you�re already a Microsoft customer, you can get basic MDM services for free. Even better, this MDM offering is fully-integrated with Office 365, making it easier for administrators to manage.

Enough competitors already

If this wasn�t bad enough for BlackBerry, the MDM market has already become very competitive and this has driven down prices. According to one estimate, the price per device has fallen from US$150 in 2010 to US$30 in 2013, and this number will likely fall further. Even Google Inc. has entered the fray.

So, it shouldn�t surprise anyone that Microsoft is giving away MDM services; there�s so little money to be made anyway. Besides, MDM can serve as a gateway towards more lucrative offerings down the road.

This spells bad news for BlackBerry

This is the last thing that BlackBerry needs. Investment banks such as Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs claim that BlackBerry�s MDM offering isn�t selling well. This is backed up by the numbers; the company�s software revenue has been falling short of expectations. Mr. Chen�s goal of US$500 million in software revenue now seems like a pipe dream.

BlackBerry does have one thing working in its favour: it is the leader in security. With the increasing frequency of cyber-attacks, this advantage cannot be understated. That being the case, companies like Microsoft are much larger than BlackBerry, and that alone can help bridge the trust gap. In other words, I don�t believe Microsoft is seen as a risky company to do business with.

So, investors should remain very nervous about BlackBerry, despite Mr. Chen�s progress. As far as I�m concerned, the stock is just too risky to buy at this point.

Will Microsoft Corporation Crush BlackBerry Ltd. (USA)? | The Motley Fool Canada
    rarsen, early2bed, CDM76 and 1 others like this.
    04-07-15 01:30 AM
    Bbm messages were intercepted lawfully - with warrant. So, that's not a big deal at all.

Big deal would be if there was proof that govt intercepted bbm messages without warrant and without BlackBerry 's cooperation. Because then it'd mean govt was able to break bbm encryption.

Consumer bbm messages can be decrypted by BlackBerry. If you use BES though - even BlackBerry can't decrypt it as it doesn't keep encryption keys for BES BBM. Those are generated directly by the company and kept by the company.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, we know that. But do the masses?

Oh, wait... the masses have begun to speak...

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1011822

Posted via CB10
    awindsr likes this.
    04-07-15 01:31 AM
  6. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Re: Motley Fool.. Will Microsoft....

I have heard this for decades in IT... In products and services.

.. first it was "Who can compete with IBM?" ... hello Dell!, Compaq, .. and many others... then it was Microsoft and Windows.... Hello Apple!.. and others... and so on...

Blackberry will compete on its own "value proposition"... innovative, responsive, lean and efficient ... customer focused.... MDM offerings come in many flavors...

Blackberry is not a one trick pony and Blackberry CEO chen is no Freshman.... but a seasoned Pro...

LONG BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by world traveler and former ceo; 04-07-15 at 05:02 AM.
    04-07-15 02:46 AM
    Interesting.

BlackBerry use set to swell

By Staff Writer, ITWeb
    Johannesburg, 7 Apr 2015

BlackBerry, once the darling of the smartphone world, has been widely positioned as moribund, but a new study of African smartphone users reveals that this is not the case locally.

A survey of mobile phone usage in five African countries has delivered surprising findings on the rise of Internet access via phones, the potential demise of Nokia and the continued appeal of BlackBerry.

The Mobile Africa 2015 study, conducted by mobile surveying company GeoPoll and World Wide Worx, surveyed 3 500 mobile phone users in five of Africa's major markets, namely SA, Nigeria, Kenya, Ghana and Uganda.

One of the most surprising findings was that BlackBerry, which has held steady at 6% penetration for current and previous phones, is expected to rise to 16%. While this flies in the face of international trends, it reveals a hidden dynamic of the aspirations of new smartphone users, says World Wide Worx.

Matt Angus-Hammond, Business Development Lead for GeoPoll in Southern Africa, explains one reason for the possible surge in Blackberry adoption: "BlackBerry introduced most of Africa to the idea of a smartphone, and for the first few years was the flagship brand for the category. They initially hit the market through companies who got contracts for their executives, but as new models were introduced, the old Blackberrys have entered the mass market, and are still regarded as a status symbol in much of Africa."

This suggests BlackBerry will retain its position as the third most popular phone brand in major African markets for now. However, World Wide Worx notes brands that will challenge both BlackBerry and Nokia in the near future include Apple (2% currently, expected to rise to 11%), Huawei (3%, expected to go to 9%), Sony (2% to 5%) and LG (3% to 5%).

While the study confirms the widely held view that Nokia remains the single biggest phone brand in the major African markets, it also shows its market share is plummeting fast.

While almost half of respondents (46%) reported owning a Nokia as their previous phone, only 34% own one now – and only half of those (18%) intend buying a Nokia next.

The big winner, says World Wide Worx, is Samsung, a brand currently owned by 17% of respondents, up marginally from 14% ownership previously. When asked what phone will be bought next, the Samsung proportion shot up to 26% - more than a quarter of phone users.

Current phone usage varies dramatically by country, with Nokia dominance ranging from a high 43% in Nigeria, 36% in SA and 34% in Uganda to 32% in Kenya and 28% in Ghana. In each of the five countries, however, the data shows it will drop to below 25% when the next phone is acquired, with Kenya least loyal to the brand: only 14% of Kenyans surveyed say they expect to buy a Nokia as their next phone.

Samsung finds its strongest current markets in Ghana (29%) and SA (21%), but is expected to rise in most other countries when the next phone is purchased. While it will remain at a similar level in SA and Ghana, it will rise from 18% to 39% in Kenya, and to 28% in Uganda, where it currently stands at only 10%. Nigeria market share will double, from 8% to 16%.

Apple is the surprise challenger for third place, with 16% of respondents in Ghana, 15% of Nigerians and 14% of South Africans indicating they would buy one next. Uganda at 8% and Kenya at 5% also show surprisingly strong intentions to buy the high-cost iPhone next.

BlackBerry use set to swell | ITWeb
    Last edited by bungaboy; 04-07-15 at 06:52 AM.
    jxnb, Corbu, 3MIKE and 19 others like this.
    04-07-15 06:40 AM
    Interesting.

BlackBerry use set to swell
    Doesn't matter. Only the US is important. Nobody lives in Africa anyways.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-15 07:03 AM
    Doesn't matter. Only the US is important. Nobody lives in Africa anyways.

Posted via CB10
    True...and Europe is comprised of three old guys baking bread and two squashing grapes.

Classically Posted.
    04-07-15 07:20 AM
    True...and Europe is comprised of two old guys ... squashing grapes.

Classically Posted.
    Not a good mental image this early in the morning. LOL
    bungaboy, 3MIKE, rarsen and 10 others like this.
    04-07-15 07:32 AM
    True...and Europe is comprised of three old guys baking bread and two squashing grapes.

Classically Posted.
    Don't forget the three soaking corks.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-15 08:54 AM
    Don't forget the three soaking corks.

Posted via CB10
    Ahhhh Booooo!
    LOL! Nicely done.
    Good 'ol Saturday Night Live.
    That was a great skit.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-15 09:46 AM
    Sold my black Passport to a guy in Vernon who works for a gold mining company in the Yukon. He is a Q10 user and was intrigued by the design. He also liked the look of my red Passport.

So that makes two Passport users in the whole of Western Canada
    04-07-15 11:49 AM
    http://www.smarteranalyst.com/2015/0...er-lynch-bias/

Learning the Wrong Lessons: Avoiding the Peter Lynch Bias

Peter Lynch is one of the all-time greats. While running the Fidelity Magellan fund from 1977 to his retirement in 1990, he generated almost hard-to-believe annualized returns of 29.2% per year. And take note that this was before the roaring bull market of the 1990s. If there were a pantheon of investing gods, no one would question Peter Lynch�s place in it.

But Lynch was also responsible for some of the most misunderstood and poorly-used words of investment advice in history when he recommended that you �invest in what you know.�

Lynch�s advice here is actually pretty solid if used right. Wall Street analysts and fund managers often never leave their elegant New York offices. Regular, everyday investors can often see a budding trend years before Wall Street simply by virtue of having boots on the ground. And new trends in consumer goods are often visible on the street months or years before they show up in the financial statements. Lynch routinely wrote over the years that he found some of his best investment ideas from trips to the mall.

But this is where good advice can go very wrong. �Buying what you know� can very quickly degenerate into buying a stock because you like its product�what I call the �Peter Lynch Bias.�

Liking the taste of their burritos is not a sufficient reason for buying shares of Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc. (NYSE:CMG)*any more than liking their lattes is reason to buy shares of Starbucks. Peter Lynch was never that simplistic, and we shouldn�t be either.

On a related note, we need to look past the hokiness of another legendary investor, Warren Buffett. Buffett likes to play the part of a simple Midwesterner �the kind of guy that really would buy Coca-Cola Co*(stock because he likes the taste of Cherry Coke. Don�t believe it for a second. It�s an act. Buffett is one of the sharpest financial minds in history, and he didn�t build Berkshire Hathaway into a financial empire with such sentimental nonsense. He did it by having discipline and buying the shares of great businesses when they were reasonably priced.

So, how can we avoid the Peter Lynch Bias?

Simple: By staying emotionally detached, having a process in place and sticking to it.

By all means, follow Lynch�s advice by looking for emerging trends on your next trip to the mall. But before you pull the trigger to buy or sell something, make sure you�re following your process.

Here are a few practical suggestions on avoiding the Peter Lynch Bias:

If you�re looking to �invest in what you know� with respect to a product you like, try using one of their competitors before seriously considering purchasing the stock. *Years ago, if I had really taken the time to learn how to use an Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL)*iPhone, I probably wouldn�t have gotten sucked into the BlackBerry Ltd (NASDAQ:BBRY) (Back then,*Research in Motion)*value trap. Yes, it*was one of the cheapest stock in the world when I recommended it last year.* But I cannot deny that my decision to recommend it was biased by my ownership of a BlackBerry phone.
    To the best extent you can, try to follow trading rules and use stop losses.* What works for one investor will be very different than what works for another.* Perhaps you use a hard stop loss of, say, 10% below your purchase price.* Or perhaps you use a trailing stop or 20-25%. *If you are a value investor, perhaps you base your sell decision on valuation or fundamentals rather than market price.* But in any event, my point stands.* Lay out the conditions under which you intend to sell and stick to them.* Stock ownership is a marriage of convenience with quick, no-fault divorce if your situation changes.* Don�t make the mistake of falling in love.
    Unleash your inner Spock.* For readers who are not Star Trek fans, Spock is an alien from the planet Vulcan who has completely supressed his*emotions. *If*talking about a stock or watching its price fluctuate gets your heart racing, take a step back and try to look at the investment through Spock�s eyes.* Is it logical?* Do the numbers make sense?* Are the growth projections based on reasonable facts or on optimistic hope?* Would you buy a different company if it were trading at the same price multiple?
    One size does not fit all here. But whatever investment discipline you follow, don�t allow your enthusiasm for a product to cloud your judgment.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-15 12:02 PM
    Sold my black Passport to a guy in Vernon who works for a gold mining company in the Yukon. He is a Q10 user and was intrigued by the design. He also liked the look of my red Passport.

So that makes two Passport users in the whole of Western Canada
    Two is better then one, my passport is a clone from China. So it doesn't register in Canada. Lol

The gang this morning have a great sense of humor and thanks for a good laugh.

Thanks gang
    04-07-15 12:26 PM
    http://www.smarteranalyst.com/2015/0...er-lynch-bias/

Learning the Wrong Lessons: Avoiding the Peter Lynch Bias

Peter Lynch is one of the all-time greats. While running the Fidelity Magellan fund from 1977 to his retirement in 1990, he generated almost hard-to-believe annualized returns of 29.2% per year. And take note that this was before the roaring bull market of the 1990s. If there were a pantheon of investing gods, no one would question Peter Lynch�s place in it.

But Lynch was also responsible for some of the most misunderstood and poorly-used words of investment advice in history when he recommended that you �invest in what you know.�

Lynch�s advice here is actually pretty solid if used right. Wall Street analysts and fund managers often never leave their elegant New York offices. Regular, everyday investors can often see a budding trend years before Wall Street simply by virtue of having boots on the ground. And new trends in consumer goods are often visible on the street months or years before they show up in the financial statements. Lynch routinely wrote over the years that he found some of his best investment ideas from trips to the mall.

But this is where good advice can go very wrong. �Buying what you know� can very quickly degenerate into buying a stock because you like its product�what I call the �Peter Lynch Bias.�

Liking the taste of their burritos is not a sufficient reason for buying shares of Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc. (NYSE:CMG)*any more than liking their lattes is reason to buy shares of Starbucks. Peter Lynch was never that simplistic, and we shouldn�t be either.

On a related note, we need to look past the hokiness of another legendary investor, Warren Buffett. Buffett likes to play the part of a simple Midwesterner �the kind of guy that really would buy Coca-Cola Co*(stock because he likes the taste of Cherry Coke. Don�t believe it for a second. It�s an act. Buffett is one of the sharpest financial minds in history, and he didn�t build Berkshire Hathaway into a financial empire with such sentimental nonsense. He did it by having discipline and buying the shares of great businesses when they were reasonably priced.

So, how can we avoid the Peter Lynch Bias?

Simple: By staying emotionally detached, having a process in place and sticking to it.

By all means, follow Lynch�s advice by looking for emerging trends on your next trip to the mall. But before you pull the trigger to buy or sell something, make sure you�re following your process.

Here are a few practical suggestions on avoiding the Peter Lynch Bias:

If you�re looking to �invest in what you know� with respect to a product you like, try using one of their competitors before seriously considering purchasing the stock. *Years ago, if I had really taken the time to learn how to use an Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL)*iPhone, I probably wouldn�t have gotten sucked into the BlackBerry Ltd (NASDAQ:BBRY) (Back then,*Research in Motion)*value trap. Yes, it*was one of the cheapest stock in the world when I recommended it last year.* But I cannot deny that my decision to recommend it was biased by my ownership of a BlackBerry phone.
    To the best extent you can, try to follow trading rules and use stop losses.* What works for one investor will be very different than what works for another.* Perhaps you use a hard stop loss of, say, 10% below your purchase price.* Or perhaps you use a trailing stop or 20-25%. *If you are a value investor, perhaps you base your sell decision on valuation or fundamentals rather than market price.* But in any event, my point stands.* Lay out the conditions under which you intend to sell and stick to them.* Stock ownership is a marriage of convenience with quick, no-fault divorce if your situation changes.* Don�t make the mistake of falling in love.
    Unleash your inner Spock.* For readers who are not Star Trek fans, Spock is an alien from the planet Vulcan who has completely supressed his*emotions. *If*talking about a stock or watching its price fluctuate gets your heart racing, take a step back and try to look at the investment through Spock�s eyes.* Is it logical?* Do the numbers make sense?* Are the growth projections based on reasonable facts or on optimistic hope?* Would you buy a different company if it were trading at the same price multiple?
    One size does not fit all here. But whatever investment discipline you follow, don�t allow your enthusiasm for a product to cloud your judgment.

Posted via CB10
    This article is so argumentative, that I will not even try to write anything about it. Spock's eyes, good laugh!
    Christophe Piquemal and zyben like this.
    04-07-15 12:33 PM
    BMO Investor Line

Daily Market Report

BlackBerry Ltd forms bullish "Continuation Wedge" chart pattern

Apr 06, 2015

Recognia has detected a "Continuation Wedge (Bullish)" chart pattern formed on BlackBerry Ltd (BB:TSX). This bullish signal indicates that the stock price may rise from the close of $11.65 to the range of $14.50 - $15.10. The pattern formed over 24 days which is roughly the period of time in which the target price range may be achieved, according to standard principles of technical analysis.

Tells Me: After a temporary interruption, the prior uptrend is set to continue. A Continuation Wedge (Bullish) represents a temporary interruption to an uptrend, taking the shape of two converging trendlines both slanted downward against the trend. During this time the bears attempt to win over the bulls, but in the end the bulls triumph as the break above the upper trendline signals a continuation of the prior uptrend.

This bullish pattern can be seen on the following chart and was detected by Recognia proprietary pattern recognition technology.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-securitychart.png
    04-07-15 03:35 PM
    This article is so argumentative, that I will not even try to write anything about it. Spock's eyes, good laugh!
    But the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few....

Lol! Sorry, couldn't resist.
    I posted this because I figured some of you might critique it offering some personal insight of your own modus operandi, perhaps.
    Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag, 3MIKE and bungaboy like this.
    04-07-15 04:43 PM
    Reading up on the S6 edge people say it's the most premium and advanced feeling phone they've ever held and seen. The screen quality is the best on the market. I'm sure the 16MP lens is pretty good too.

Posted via CB10
    I'm most interested in the new 14nm Exynos 7 octa SOC. Hopefully BlackBerry will be able to do a deal with Sammy to get their hands on some of these soon for their high end devices, rather than continuing with Qualcomm.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DaSchwantz; 04-08-15 at 05:48 AM.
    3MIKE and zyben like this.
    04-07-15 08:08 PM
    Pretty sure the way the Canadian gov is "helping" is by making a big move to BES12. I work in Ottawa and people I know in gov started showing up with Q10s starting a few months ago. A lot were probably given away previously marked down stock.

That's a big customer.

There would never have been any doubt about this sale. Shows how long it took for BB10 and BES12 to really be ready and then start being incorporated.

Posted with my flash Passport
    Government of Ontario and the City of Toronto started having bb10 devices available to staff last year, but may still be running BES10 along side BES 7...not sure. The flip side is that some older Samsung and iPhone models are available to use, when both were previously BlackBerry shops. Personally I want to see some of the Canadian banks on board, especially since they deal with my financial information!

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE and zyben like this.
    04-08-15 06:44 AM
    Government of Ontario and the City of Toronto started having bb10 devices available to staff last year, but may still be running BES10 along side BES 7...not sure. The flip side is that some older Samsung and iPhone models are available to use, when both were previously BlackBerry shops. Personally I want to see some of the Canadian banks on board, especially since they deal with my financial information!

Posted via CB10
    Scotia I know for sure are all in on BES and BB10 handsets are on the menu (along with Samsung and iPhone).

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    04-08-15 06:56 AM
    04-08-15 09:08 AM
    OT:
    Apple marketing machine in full force today, in the WSJ:
    Apple Watch Review: The Smartwatch Finally Makes Sense - WSJ

What the Apple Watch Does Best: Make You Look Good
    Apple isn’t just selling some wrist-worn computer, it’s selling good looks and coolness, too
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-wa...ightTopStories
    Last edited by Corbu; 04-08-15 at 12:26 PM.
    rarsen, bungaboy, zyben and 2 others like this.
    04-08-15 09:09 AM
    04-08-15 10:12 AM
    Very slow around here lately hope everyone is doing well

OT HALO
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/halozy...134627431.html

Phase 3 is a go ahead
    04-08-15 10:20 AM
113,256 ... 33173318331933203321 ...