View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Chrys, another benefit to your plan is the revenue from the apps sold. Say each of those 20million devices spend $20/year on apps, you get an additional $400million in revenue. I've often wondered why BlackBerry didn't do this from the start with BB10.

Now, I don't think they can afford to give up the revenue from hardware, and one could argue that this would cannibalize their high-margin device sales (and definitely their budget-device sales). It could be a gameplan for once revenue stabilizes!

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 01:42 AM
    It might be helpful to note that tomorrow is the final day for cash settlement sales. We might have had some funds blow out some stock for their end of quarter window dressing. Might in fact be a low in tomorrow. GL
    Well, my average is now (w/ CAD 1 : 0,73104 EUR) 8.22 �/shr, i.e +/- 6.8% gain.
    I may be tempted to buy in the 8s, but not above.
    Wasn't enough to deal with stock, I must now deal with currencies.
    Dilema is : should I sell now (� is really low, almost parity with USD) and play the "double effect" ...
    Nodes in my brain. May solve by remembering my "set it and forget it" initial option ...
    rarsen and bungaboy like this.
    03-31-15 02:11 AM
    Molly, if you say you're going to cut and run if you don't see adds in the next 3 months, save yourself the time and headaches and jump now. It ain't gonna happen.

Posted via CB10
    I think you are right, which saddens me. The Passport, Leap, Classis, etc will almost certainly not sell, and it's a scandal in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 02:50 AM
    Chrys, another benefit to your plan is the revenue from the apps sold. Say each of those 20million devices spend $20/year on apps, you get an additional $400million in revenue. I've often wondered why BlackBerry didn't do this from the start with BB10.

Now, I don't think they can afford to give up the revenue from hardware, and one could argue that this would cannibalize their high-margin device sales (and definitely their budget-device sales). It could be a gameplan for once revenue stabilizes!

Posted via CB10
    Yes, of course they should do this. It's a very good idea...but, they won't. They will continue to price their devices with no regard for the market environment at the time, and pray. The solution to almost all their problems is straightforward: sell more phones.

I would love to sit in on a meeting at BlackBerry HQ. What goes on in there when they discuss devices? Poor presence in shops, poor public perception, we aren't going to bother letting the public know these phones exist...what about price? Hmm...let's price the phones at what we think they are worth...yeah, that'll work.

That's enough negativity from me. I'm going to sit back and watch the next three months closely, and look to make a decision then. If after over two years of BlackBerry 10, BlackBerry still can't bump their heads into the wall in a way that wakes them up to the fact that you need to properly market/advertise products in order for them to sell, I'm sadly selling my modest (comparatively) position, and walking. Advertising on YouTube like some teenaged blogger isn't enough. I want to see them grow some danglers and back their own creations with a proper marketing push. The fact that they say the lack of advertising is the save cash just shows where their confidence is. If they don't believe in the products themselves, the general public won't either.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 03:27 AM
    Yes, of course they should do this. It's a very good idea...but, they won't. They will continue to price their devices with no regard for the market environment at the time, and pray. The solution to almost all their problems is straightforward: sell more phones.

I would love to sit in on a meeting at BlackBerry HQ. What goes on in there when they discuss devices? Poor presence in shops, poor public perception, we aren't going to bother letting the public know these phones exist...what about price? Hmm...let's price the phones at what we think they are worth...yeah, that'll work.

That's enough negativity from me. I'm going to sit back and watch the next three months closely, and look to make a decision then. If after over two years of BlackBerry 10, BlackBerry still can't bump their heads into the wall in a way that wakes them up to the fact that you need to properly market/advertise products in order for them to sell, I'm sadly selling my modest (comparatively) position, and walking. Advertising on YouTube like some teenaged blogger isn't enough. I want to see them grow some danglers and back their own creations with a proper marketing push. The fact that they say the lack of advertising is to save cash just shows where their confidence is. If they don't believe in the products themselves, the general public won't either.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 03:28 AM
    I think you are right, which saddens me. The Passport, Leap, Classis, etc will almost certainly not sell, and it's a scandal in my opinion.
    Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure if TV ads for these devices would help much. Passport and Classic are more niche devices or suitable for diehard 9900 users. The most interesting feature of Leap is the pricepoint. Chen said, there is demand from customers for an affordable fulltouch fleet phone - so he made the Leap. But a general ad campaign for this device might be a huge waste of money.
    An ad campaign could work propably better for high end alltouch devices, or the high end slider.

But I would like to see the Passport in the hand of James Bond in the next movie. This might work, LOL.

Besides the devices, I think BlackBerry could do a lot more to change the general perception. People still see BB as the "struggeling smartphonemaker" with 0.5 % marketshare - obviously dead. And that's a part of the problem.
    The Formula One, Mercedes partnership for example could be good starting point for an PR-campaign. Show the world that they make QNX for cars, secure server technology, software and services and on the side show the rockstar pilots using the latest devices. Something like that.
    03-31-15 03:29 AM
    The CLSA analyst has looked through the 40f and found that approximately 66% of device sales were bb10 in 4q fy15. Thus they doubted why John Chen said 90% came from new products

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 03:55 AM
    I'm not sure if TV ads for these devices would help much. Passport and Classic are more niche devices or suitable for diehard 9900 users. The most interesting feature of Leap is the pricepoint. Chen said, there is demand from customers for an affordable fulltouch fleet phone - so he made the Leap. But a general ad campaign for this device might be a huge waste of money.
    An ad campaign could work propably better for high end alltouch devices, or the high end slider.

But I would like to see the Passport in the hand of James Bond in the next movie. This might work, LOL.

Besides the devices, I think BlackBerry could do a lot more to change the general perception. People still see BB as the "struggeling smartphonemaker" with 0.5 % marketshare - obviously dead. And that's a part of the problem.
    The Formula One, Mercedes partnership for example could be good starting point for an PR-campaign. Show the world that they make QNX for cars, secure server technology, software and services and on the side show the rockstar pilots using the latest devices. Something like that.
    Yeah, I wouldn't advertise the Leap all that aggressively. I would push the Passport and Classic, though. The objective should be pretty straightforward: make sure that most people know they exist. Speaking for London, I would place medium-term billboards and shorter-term big screen ads at Waterloo station, Liverpool Street station, Heathrow Airport, and Gatwick Airport. I would also mention that they are available at Carphone Warehouse, etc. In addition, I would run a general London Underground ad campaign. Even if this meant ignoring most of the rest of the UK because of cost concerns, this would be my play. I would shy away from TV too, because I don't think the return would justify the cost. Not everyone watches that much TV these days, but nearly everyone walks around, travels to work, etc. They've got to know these devices exist. They haven't got a chance otherwise, and that is such a waste.

One final note: whoever has been in charge of the dad joke ads should be locked away in a room for a bit. No more fauxtrepeneur stuff, or other cringe-worthy nonsense please...some good, confident, clear advertising that says 'we mean business'. In fact, that wouldn't be a bad campaign slogan either. 'BlackBerry. We mean business'. Yeah, that mightn't be too bad at all.

Posted via CB10
    georg4BB likes this.
    03-31-15 05:36 AM
    The CLSA analyst has looked through the 40f and found that approximately 66% of device sales were bb10 in 4q fy15. Thus they doubted why John Chen said 90% came from new products

Posted via CB10
    Would you please reference where you read this. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and Superfly_FR like this.
    03-31-15 05:52 AM

Posted via CB10
    It simply means that this unnamed analysts does not understand what John Chen said. John said 90% of the shipment came from new products. The revenue from such shippment may not have been recongizned in Q4.

Brian Prohm - Cowen and Company

A couple quick questions one on hardware. I think you said 90% of revenue was from the new devices?
    John Chen - Chief Executive Officer

I said, we ship 90 plus percent of the shipment in the quarter are new products Passport, classic type.
    03-31-15 05:57 AM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150331_191400372.jpg

See point 3

Posted via CB10
    q649 likes this.
    03-31-15 06:15 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150331_191400372.jpg 
Views:	1382 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	344782

See point 3

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. Do you have a link to that article?

Posted via CB10
    laketrout73 likes this.
    03-31-15 06:22 AM
    Sorry these research reports are not publicly available ...

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 06:27 AM
    Sorry these research reports are not publicly available ...

Posted via CB10
    Did they say how they calculated the 66%?

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, rarsen and bungaboy like this.
    03-31-15 06:48 AM
    I think the last point should answer some questions earlier as to why BB isn't advertising much. Saved $700M in ad costs. Would have been quite difficult to make that up in device sales.
    lech31 and doctor gonzo like this.
    03-31-15 06:55 AM
    Chrysaorora, yes we really need to have some miracles at the enterprise segment on Classic if we want to grow our HW sales.

However, the reason why I asked this question was about what was said in the Citigroup report "BBRY reported a very weak top line of usd660m missing our usd696m est on meek Device rev of just usd277m vs our usd300m est on 1.3m units, in-line with our 1.2m est but well below Street and lower ASP of usd211 vs our usd250. That 90% plus of the volume came from new high end Passport /Classic Devices suggests BBRY may already be discounting prices on those new models. "

Note that "may already be discounting prices on those new models" was bolded in the report.

These analysts will make use of every opportunity to attack Blackberry, even when they are not sure about the accuracy of the info.

Posted via CB10
    90% of devices shipped were classic and passport.

90% of devices counted for revenue were BB10 - these include devices already in the channel not just passport and classic.

That's what I recall from the CC.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 and bungaboy like this.
    03-31-15 07:06 AM
    90% of devices shipped were classic and passport.

90% of devices counted for revenue were BB10 - these include devices already in the channel not just passport and classic.

That's what I recall from the CC.

Posted via CB10
    And, if you take the number of phones that were excluded from end sales in Q3 2015, you have a sense of the breakdown of BB 10 "legacy" phones versus the launch of the Passport and Classic. Even at lower unit sales, the ARP with be better yet again in Q1 2016.
    03-31-15 07:36 AM
    ... I would run a general London Underground ad campaign. Even if this meant ignoring most of the rest of the UK because of cost concerns, this would be my play. I would shy away from TV too...
    Posted via CB10
    Regarding train/underground:
    I have just heard from a friend, that she has recently seen a BlackBerry bill-board in a German ICE train. She was not sure what was advertised, maybe the Passport. It's a good location for advertising with such a limited advertising budget, imo. The ICE is mostly used by business-people.

So we can not say there is NO advertising at all. But the budget is very limited, and they seem to do the best they can.
    (Still room for imrovements imho)
    03-31-15 07:41 AM
    Been a while getting ready to sell one of my apple shares to get roughly 8 BlackBerry shares. I used the Apple Watch hype to gain about $15Can.

Some random thoughts and predictions:
    (entertainment if you will)

BlackBerry starts to make value high end keyboard based BlackBerry's
    - bringing back leather sexy back (from Bold 9000 days), to the Passport.
    - Porsche announces their reiterating of Passport in May 2015.
    - BlackBerry and Samsung announce corporate sales of Galaxy S6 with BlackBerry Enterprise Suite pre-loaded is making sales >> this being a double Win as licensing has a profit revenue stream of $50/S6 sold, plus BES activation license of $10/device per user.
    - new BlackBerry Q10 replacement and Slider officially announced: Q10 replacement June 2015 and Slider July, both high anticipated and lauded highly by review community.
    - BlackBerry Fiscal Q2 of 2016 (whatever next financial quarter really is for them), announces $3.50 Billion in cash in bank, higher handset sales and revenue, and an 8 cents per common share dividend to keep the "shorty short shorts" at bay.

I firmly believe that dividends will significantly boost the value of the stock, less free stocks in the market, and more stable cash for BlackBerry to make big moves cause ppl. Will hold onto the stock for longer periods. Maybe 8 cents is far too low, maybe 15 cents would be a better enticement.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-31-15 07:46 AM
    3 Takeaways from BlackBerry Earnings

By Lori Castle, Editor in Chief — March 30, 2015

3 Takeaways from BlackBerry Earnings | News | Mobile Enterprise(ME)

On John Chen's first earnings call at BlackBerry in December 2013—in what was then a new role for him as CEO and Executive Chair—he was optimistic that a turnaround was possible. By mid-2014, on the Q1 2015 call, the company reported a slight profit even though revenue was down. In Q2, he promised breakeven cashflow by the fiscal year end.

Last week on the Q4 and 2015 year end call, he proclaimed the financial house of BlackBerry "in order," saying, "Our cash balance reach $3.27 billion, now matches the highest balance in the company history which we last achieved in May of 2010, and an increase of $608 million compared to the end of FY14. Our financial viability is no longer in questions. We are now turning our attention to revenue stabilization, while staying cash flow positive and achieving sustainable profitability
    sometime starting this fiscal year. "

The plan is to accomplish that by growing the "high margin" software business and focusing on profitability on the device side. The numbers are a mixed tale of profit (from cost cutting) and missed revenue (according to Seeking Alpha: $660M vs. expectations for nearly $800M; devices revenue of $277M vs. estimates for $444M; services revenue of $310M vs. $318M; software revenue of $66M vs. $68M).

The market reacted positively on Friday, March 27 after the call, but stocks were down by 7% on Monday, March 30. Barron's put together reaction from the Street which is also mixed.

3 Things to Know
    There were the usual questions by the financial analysts on the call, probing into when there will be more and better, but Chen concluded with three "key takeaways" he wanted everyone to know.

1. The No. 1 key takeaway is a financially stable company. "This is a very important message that I need the customers and partners to embrace," said Chen. He also noted, when asked during the call, that stability will help with employee morale. "I don't know of any way to improve the morale of a company and the people if the company is not doing well," he said. He believes that while still in the "middle" of the turnaround, morale is already substantially better than a year prior, but also realizes it still needs to be better.
    2. Secondly, there is traction in devices and BlackBerry's product road map is "quite well received by the carriers." Over 90% of shipments of hardware in the quarter were newer generation, higher margin products. The Classic and Passport are carried by over 160 carriers in over 7,000 retail stores in 86 countries. "This is the best carrier retail support worldwide we have seen in a number of years," according to Chen. "And based on the very positive discussion I had with carriers at the Mobile World Congress in March around our new product portfolio, I think the momentum will increase over time." On a gross margin basis, he said they are profitable for a third quarter in a row and plan to continue to drive margin improvement and manage inventory levels. Channel inventory is down 37% year-over-year. "This disciplined execution will underscore our commitment to bringing the device business to operating profitably," he said.
    3. "Last but not least," there will be investment in software to sustain and increase momentum. A review of this part of the business includes a 24% increase over Q3, with "good enterprise traction." There were 2,200 customer wins in the quarter, including "competitive wins"—Delta Air Lines, First Great Western Trains, Tarpon Energy Services, the Government of Canada, the Social Service Administration of Columbia, the Australia Transportation Safety Bureau, the ESA Group (one of the largest conglomerates in India), Dignity Health, IMS Health, Synova, Quest Labs, Kyocera-Mita, SAIC, Citizens Property Insurance, ERGO Insurance in Germany, [Credit Cramilia] South America and HSBC—"just to name a few."

Distribution and product investment will drive growth going forward. On the distribution side, BlackBerry rolled out SIM based licensing technology with carriers, expanding its traditional partner network. Ten carriers to date have announced they will resell BlackBerry software using this model. New in the more traditional reseller programs are Orange, Deutsche Telecom, Ingram Micro, Bright Star, Sprint and Samsung.

Vodafone Germany is rolling out secure core technology on iOS, Windows and Android. In addition, the company is in the process of qualifying over 300 resellers that have expressed interest in selling BES and other value added services.

The second set of software initiatives will be further investment in security, cross-platform capabilities and also developing a technology partner network. BlackBerry will be ramping up teams in the security and privacy area, after having closed on Secusmart and hiring a Chief Security Officer.

Expanding the platform and deployment options to products will include BES12 cloud deployments to bring BES to a broader market along with the BlackBerry Experience to make BlackBerry's security, communication and collaboration solutions available on Android, Windows and iOS.

Developing a network of partners is also aimed to expand reach and broaden the scope of products—for example, BES support for Google Android for Work program. Product offerings with Samsung KNOX were also broadened. Chen said, "We are all very pleased with the progress we're making in the first full quarter since the introduction of BES12."

The focus for BBM is on monetization with three key initiatives in the consumer arena: the ads, the BBM money and virtual goods. For BBM in the enterprise space there is BBM Protected and BBM Meetings.

During the quarter BlackBerry also released QNX wireless framework API and Chen cited design wins with Volkswagen, LG Vehicles and warehouse automation and robot providers. Furthermore, he announced QNX milestone as the product is now deployed in 50 million cars worldwide. "As our IoT suite works its way into more products, we anticipate that our IoT subscription will grow and we believe the IoT market has the potential to be a significant contributor to our software revenue growth in the future."

451 Research Director Chris Hazelton commented, "There is some concern given the emphasis on EMM and software in general as the future for the company, and that this growth rate was not higher with the end of BES12's promotional period that stopped at the end of calendar year 2014. Overall the company remains healthy and cash flush, but this is more about shrewd management and accounting rather than growth from software and a viable device business. As we've stated before, it may be time to sell off the devices business with rising ASPs and $1.6m device sales this past quarter."
    smart548, jxnb, georg4BB and 15 others like this.
    03-31-15 08:32 AM
    BlackBerry Upgraded to “Buy” at Vetr Inc. (BBRY)

BlackBerry Upgraded to ?Buy? at Vetr Inc. (BBRY) - The Legacy
    lech31, jxnb, georg4BB and 12 others like this.
    03-31-15 08:38 AM
    On CNBC BCG Partners Analyst Colin Gillis has BUY Rating: "We like what we are seeing."

$BBRY: CNBC: Blackberry: Are Its Struggles Behind It? |
    03-31-15 08:42 AM
    No support
    03-31-15 08:53 AM
    No support
    Red day all over the board today. But yeah, know what you mean.

Posted via CB10
    georg4BB likes this.
    03-31-15 08:56 AM
    03-31-15 08:58 AM
113,250 ... 33043305330633073308 ...