View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Question, but first let me start off by saying I'm a long. Many people compare BlackBerry to that of Apple back in 1998. Where their share in the computer market fell all the way down to 2%, from 40%. So my question is, did AAPL have to deal with people not creating applications for AAPL computers, or were applications pretty universal for computers? I never owned an Apple so I really don't even know the answer to that.
    A few things happened that helped pull Apple out of the rut.

1) They switched to an x86 processor.
    2) Microsoft made office for Mac
    3) Java made it easier for developers make apps on mac.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, Alvin Loh, jxnb and 4 others like this.
    03-30-15 06:31 AM
    Hi Antoine,

I'm gradually trying to find ways to replace Skype with BBM in my business exchanges located all over the globe. One of these to address some of the IT management concerns where often Skype in not permitted on certain company networks. I also need to seriously look at BBM Meetings in my typical work meetings. At this time too many of my distant work colleagues are on brands other than BB or have the much older BB models. I do my part in spreading the Joy and trying to widen their minds to the expanded possibilities.
    03-30-15 07:12 AM

4) Steve Jobs made Jonathan Ive lead hardware designer.
    awindsr likes this.
    03-30-15 07:15 AM
    For Macs wasn't that at the same time that Bill Gates handed Steve Jobs a sizable amount of cash so that they would not go under, avoiding that MS would be accused of running a monopoly?
    03-30-15 07:21 AM
    4) Steve Jobs made Jonathan Ive lead hardware designer.
    Guy Kawasaki is all over the Internet speaking about why Apple became so successful. You're absolutely right in pointing out the importance of design, or the outward skin of a product. The overwhelming majority of people don't care very much about algorithms or security. It's not that they want something not to be secure, but they first want something that makes them feel good.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-30-15 07:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    I want to add, Apple has got a lot of support by Adobe too. Mac + Adobe's applications like photoshop - This was the workstation for "creative people" this time. When I remember right, Jobs first huge success in hardware was the iMac because of it's simplified, colorful and refreshing design, when all PCs were grey boxes with a lot of cables to connect. I remeber, people bought this overprized iMacs like crazy. I think this was the starting point for Apples revival. Design and support by some big software vendors like Microsoft and Adobe.
    I think, if Adobe would have dropped support, Apple would not have been survived. Later Apple "thanked" Adobe by dropping support for all Flash related products over night.
    03-30-15 07:47 AM
    Guy Kawasaki is all over the Internet speaking about why Apple became so successful. You're absolutely right in pointing out the importance of design, or the outward skin of a product. The overwhelming majority of people don't care very much about algorithms or security. It's not that they want something not to be secure, but they first want something that makes them feel good.

Posted via CB10
    Has is advertising not the #1 thing? Apple got to where it was because it told people that they needed something that they do not need.

Today they, they are basically Bose. Their model is not going to be sustainable much longer.
    03-30-15 07:56 AM
    Our friend at Morgan Stanley, James E. Fauc-ette released a note this morning, price target $7.00 and Blackberry acquisitions becoming key to revenue target's.

Also Wells Fargo released a note today too.

Hopefully my Blackberry Corbu assistant service can get the reports.

Just joking Corbu!

I can't get the reports sorry folks!
    CDM76, Mr BBRY, bungaboy and 4 others like this.
    03-30-15 07:59 AM
    Also keep in mind that all the margin is currently being negated by operations expenses and the reported profit is due to an income tax recovery charge.

The only operations charge to shift significantly from Q3 was R&D and from what I've heard that sounds like Chen's next target for savings.

Posted via CB10
    I think Chen said on the CC to expect R&D to increase as they move to growth.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-30-15 08:04 AM
    Our friend at Morgan Stanley, James E. Fauc-ette released a note this morning, price target $7.00 and Blackberry acquisitions becoming key to revenue target's.

Just joking Corbu!

those guys are an absolute joke
    03-30-15 08:06 AM
    I want to add, Apple has got a lot of support by Adobe too. Mac + Adobe's applications like photoshop - This was the workstation for "creative people" this time. When I remember right, Jobs first huge success in hardware was the iMac because of it's simplified, colorful and refreshing design, when all PCs were grey boxes with a lot of cables to connect. I remeber, people bought this overprized iMacs like crazy. I think this was the starting point for Apples revival. Design and support by some big software vendors like Microsoft and Adobe.
    I think, if Adobe would have dropped support, Apple would not have been survived. Later Apple "thanked" Adobe by dropping support for all Flash related products over night.
    Interesting. It is clear Apple threw Adobe under the bus. They even ripped off some amazing media streaming technologies that Adobe acquired from Macromedia which is now becoming the new standard.
    bungaboy, rarsen and georg4BB like this.
    03-30-15 08:10 AM
    Faucet already reiterated his points on Friday after earnings. Maybe he's added some more [detailed] biased guessing to support his thesis.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-30-15 08:16 AM
    Totally agree with you 100%.
    jake simmons3 likes this.
    03-30-15 08:21 AM

Just joking Corbu!

Hi bbjdog,

I will look into it but I suspect you are referring to the note he published on Friday:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3...l#post11509115

More of the same from our friend, obviously...

I'll look into Wells Fargo...

Glad to be "of assistance", mate!

Edit: A quick check leads me to believe the MS news is indeed Friday's report.
    Last edited by Corbu; 03-30-15 at 08:38 AM.
    bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    03-30-15 08:24 AM
    Anybody purchased BBM Protected, for non BES users? You can now apparently. Using my Enterprise account but not able to complete the purchase!!

Posted by my fabulous red Passport
    Hi Ben...yes, I have it...the Enterprise servers were have maintenance this weekend...might want to re try today.

Classically Posted.
    rarsen, Corbu, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    03-30-15 08:29 AM
    I am looking at Sierra Wireless this morning. Their market cap is around $1B and seem the be the leader in M2M right now.
    I think they have amazing technology that Blackberry should acquire. I'm sure Blackberry won't try to compete directly with them.

Like Blackberry, they are headquartered in Canada and have offices in California, France, and China. They are both working on M2M cloud platforms but SWIR specializes in Wireless access points, embedded wireless modules, etc... there could be a lot of consolidation and synergies from such a merger.

As a BBRY/QNX investor, I would love it if Chen pushed for this acquisition.

Edit: I don't think Sierra wants to compete with QNX Medical and QNXCar2 platform either!
    Corbu, rarsen, morganplus8 and 7 others like this.
    03-30-15 08:29 AM
    I am looking at Sierra Wireless this morning. Their market cap is around $1B and seem the be the leader in M2M right now.
    I think they have amazing technology that Blackberry should acquire. I'm sure Blackberry won't try to compete directly with them.

Like Blackberry, they are headquartered in Canada and have offices in California, France, and China. They are both working on M2M cloud platforms but SWIR specializes in Wireless access points, embedded wireless modules, etc... there could be a lot of consolidation and synergies from such a merger.

As a BBRY/QNX investor, I would love it if Chen pushed for this acquisition.

Edit: I don't think Sierra wants to compete with QNX Medical and QNXCar2 platform either!
    Personally i think Sierra is so over valued look at the stock over the past 2 years. If blackberry was valued the same , we would be at 40 dollars a share ourselves. There is way better investments out there that give blackberry more value for there money. Realistically BB would have to spend about 1.7-2 billion to get Sierra at this point , taking up our much needed cash.
    lech31, rarsen, 3_M4N and 2 others like this.
    03-30-15 08:40 AM
    Hi bbjdog,

I will look into it but I suspect you are referring to the note he published on Friday:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3...l#post11509115

More of the same from our friend, obviously...

I'll look into Wells Fargo...

Glad to be "of assistance", mate!

Edit: A quick check leads me to believe the MS news is indeed Friday's report.
    Your the best!

But no, I just seen it hit my news headline and also JP Morgan with the ****test attack, check out the headliner "JP Morgan wonders if aggressive cost cutting will doom Blackberry "

I can't even think of words to say about these notes!

Morgan Stanley released at 7:21
    Wells Fargo at 8:35
    JP Morgan at 9:25

Corbu don't worry about them, there is no use in wasting time for rubbish.
    Corbu, lech31, morganplus8 and 1 others like this.
    03-30-15 08:50 AM
    Personally i think Sierra is so over valued look at the stock over the past 2 years. If blackberry was valued the same , we would be at 40 dollars a share ourselves. There is way better investments out there that give blackberry more value for there money. Realistically BB would have to spend about 1.7-2 billion to get Sierra at this point , taking up our much needed cash.
    I think a 30% premium on the current market cap could get it done. (ie $1.3B) BES12 cash cow will bring in a lot of cash in FY2016. Besides, it doesn't even have to be an all cash acquisition.
    La Emperor, CDM76 and awindsr like this.
    03-30-15 08:54 AM
    Your the best!

But no, I just seen it hit my news headline and also JP Morgan with the ****test attack, check out the headliner "JP Morgan wonders if aggressive cost cutting will doom Blackberry "

I can't even think of words to say about these notes!

Morgan Stanley released at 7:21
    Wells Fargo at 8:35
    JP Morgan at 9:25

Corbu don't worry about them, there is no use in wasting time for rubbish.
    Hey bbjdog... On MS, remember we get some news here before anyone else does!
    rarsen and bungaboy like this.
    03-30-15 08:54 AM
    I think a 30% premium on the current market cap could get it done. (ie $1.3B) BES12 cash cow will bring in a lot of cash in FY2016. Besides, it doesn't even have to be an all cash acquisition.
    Right now there market cap is 1.3 billion, with a 30 percent premium that puts it at over 1.7 billion. The last thing bbry needs is to blow 1.7 billion on a company. The last thing bbry needs is to buy a company with a PE of close to 150 now, let alone after a 30 percent premium. Bbry needs rev but I doubt they are wiling to pay that kind of premium for it. There our many other acquisition targets that there that will be better bang for the buck. I dont want to see a Bbry with 1.5 billion in cash and 1.5 billion in debt with a purchase that is also in rev ramp up mode. Analysts would have a field day with that one, "Blackberry blows all its cash at the wrong time" will be the head lines.
    03-30-15 09:08 AM
    FWIW:
    On Wells Fargo:
    From Benzinga...

Analysts at Wells Fargo reacted to BlackBerry Ltd (NASDAQ: BBRY)'s earnings report, saying that the quarterly performance demonstrated "some signs of life." However, the analysts maintained a cautious outlook, rating the stock at Market Perform and showing skepticism over whether the company will be able to achieve its $500 million Software revenue target. The most "critical" factor moving forward, according to the analysts, will be this revenue growth.

Alongside the Market Perform rating, Wells Fargo lowered its 2016 revenue and EPS estimates from $3.13 billion and a loss of $0.03 per share to $2.84 billion and a loss of $0.07. The lower estimates, Wells Fargo said, are the result of lower hardware and BBM revenue, among other factors.

Wells Fargo said it still sees the potential for "strategic alternatives" – restructuring, divestitures and a multi-platform strategy among them – to prop the stock. However, with a "potential sale of the company less likely in the near-term," the analysts peg full valuation at $9.50 to $10.50.
    bungaboy and La Emperor like this.
    03-30-15 09:16 AM
    fwiw:
    On wells fargo:
    From benzinga...
    is it not clear that bbry is done losing money?
    bungaboy and La Emperor like this.
    03-30-15 09:20 AM
    I'm going to post some snippets, don't know if you will be able to read them.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-jp-morgan.png
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-morgan-stanley.png
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-wells-fargo.png
    03-30-15 09:20 AM
    While we are on subject of analysts, this is Merrill Lynch's take on things, from Friday (Tal Liani)
    They have a "Price objective" of $6.00

4Q revenues miss as handsets drop; EPS beats
    Blackberry reported its 4Q15 earnings this morning, with revenues of $660mn coming in 25%/18% lower than our/Street estimates. The top line weakness was mainly attributed to weaker than expected handset shipments of 1.3mn units versus our estimate of 2.14mn. Service revenues continue the sharp decline, down 16% QoQ and software revenues were up, though we believe the growth trajectory is below management’s
    FY16 target. The expense management was solid, with higher gross margins and substantially lower opex than expectations. The strong expense management and $28mn tax recovery drove positive non-GAAP EPS of $0.04, beating our/Street estimates by 5c/8c. We lower our revenue estimates to account for increased handset weakness and maintain our Underperform rating and $6 PO.

Passport and Classic launches disappoint
    The significant revenue miss this quarter is primarily due to handset units dropping -35% sequentially from 2mn to 1.3mn. We are concerned with the weakness given that last quarter management indicated it expects to see a full ramp of the Passport and Classic contributions. While the new devices did lift ASPs 15% QoQ, we had expected this to be a strong quarter given the seasonality and launches. Management’s commentary remains bullish, noting carriers are receptive of the new devices, yet the numbers suggest that consumer demand for Blackberry’s platform continues to be weak.

Services decline more than software is growing
    Service Access Fees (SAF) made up 47% of revenues this quarter, and declined 16% sequentially. Management calls for this negative to be offset by software growth, but we believe the current $67mn in software revenues puts the company below the trajectory needed to hit its $600mn goal for FY16. While expenses are well-managed and the company is cash flow positive, we believe there is risk to estimates and thus the share price, should the mix of weak device sales, lower services and slow software ramp continue. Unless we see positive surprises from BES12 next quarter, the revenue trough is not in sight.

Price objective basis & risk
    Our $6.00 PO is based on roughly 1.2x P/S our FY16E Sales. This multiple is in line with the one accorded to similarly challenged handset companies. Upside risks to our price objective: 1) Success of new product launches, 2) Restructuring efforts, including any potential change to management strategy, 3) Acquisition. Downside risks to our PO: 1) Slowdown in smartphone market due to macroeconomic weakness, 2) Margin pressure from increasing lower priced hardware sales, 3) Competitive risks from Apple, Google (Android), Nokia, Samsung and HTC, 4) Increased investment required to support new products, and 5) Emerging markets and prepaid subscribers growing proportion of the product mix (margin risks).
    rarsen, Mr BBRY and abass like this.
    03-30-15 09:22 AM
113,250 ... 32993300330133023303 ...