1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Consensus is not 800 mill in rev is it?

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 10:35 PM
    Who wants to go back and look at the RBC targets? Didn't he have a $6 target a year ago?

Posted via CB10
    He is playing the excessively safe card - again. I suppose that it is better to be short on the estimate and come off as conservative, than make an a$$ out of one's self with a huge over shot.

Who here has the ability to properly track buying volumes and by whom over the next couple weeks? M8 said he could find this data, but I feel bad asking with all that he is going though health wise.

I am sensing some well positioned sand bagging here.
    I am especially interested in what stock position in BBRY that MS, GS and/or other apparent bears take this week and into the week following ER.
    CDM76, bungaboy, sidhuk and 1 others like this.
    03-23-15 11:42 PM
    If you're nervous, pull some out so you don't need as much exposure.

I'm expecting a slight decline in revenue, as per guidance, but a higher than anticipated profit due to Passport sales. I'm also expecting a slight bump up in cash. Of course, this could be way off and I don't have any skin in the game so don't take it for anything more than simply one man's opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Yah expect earnings very close to Chen's projections. Some analysts who projected higher (and seem confused about which fiscal year it is). Will be very disappointed with the miss. Chen will mutter his frustration again about analysts being disappointed he is on or better than plan.

Service rev down. ASP up. Phones make money which nobody thinks is important

Maybe I missed something....

Posted with my flash Passport
    03-24-15 12:09 AM
    Slightly OT but interesting:
    BLACKBERRY� IOT PLATFORM CLOSED BETA TRIAL

BlackBerry IoT ? Internet of Things ? Trial sign up - United Kingdom
    03-24-15 08:08 AM
    Excuse me....excuse me sir, I have a question if you wouldn't mind:

Do you think this shade of blue is a bit feminine and will it clash with my man-bun??

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-ca24k-lwaaaaivx.jpg

Classically Posted.
    03-24-15 08:25 AM

Do you think this shade of blue is a bit feminine and will it clash with my man-bun??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CA24K-lWAAAaiVx.jpg 
Views:	2249 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	343471

Classically Posted.
    this color def would clash with a man bun lol
    03-24-15 08:28 AM
    this color def would clash with a man bun lol
    LoL....

Classically Posted.
    03-24-15 08:30 AM
    Slightly OT but interesting:
    BLACKBERRY� IOT PLATFORM CLOSED BETA TRIAL

BlackBerry IoT ? Internet of Things ? Trial sign up - United Kingdom
    This should raise a "Red Flag"! LoL
    03-24-15 08:45 AM

Classically Posted.
    What if they wore brown shoes?
    3MIKE, morganplus8, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    03-24-15 08:45 AM
    Never on Thursdays!!!

Lol

Classically Posted.
    bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    03-24-15 08:47 AM
    Let's add to the list of negative analyst!

Rosenblatt initiates coverage on BlackBerry with a sell rating and a $7.00 price target.
    03-24-15 08:55 AM
    It does seem like the critics are quite confident this time around. Will they be wrong?

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 09:11 AM
    Let's add to the list of negative analyst!

Rosenblatt initiates coverage on BlackBerry with a sell rating and a $7.00 price target.
    Maybe they feel this week is their last chance to push the SP down....$9.50 is strong support...can they break it downward? Exit short positions prior to the CC. Friday will be interesting. I'm betting it follows the last ER. Strong push down by the bears pre-market and early morning....then the big funds pick up the stock cheap and it recovers and goes higher. Maybe it will sit at $10 again end of the week.
    03-24-15 09:27 AM
    On Rosenblatt:
    http://www.streetinsider.com/Analyst.../10398274.html

(Updated - March 24, 2015 10:18 AM EDT)

Rosenblatt initiated coverage on BlackBerry (NASDAQ: BBRY) with a Sell rating and a price target of $7. Analyst Brian Blair panned the Leap for running BlackBerry software, which lacks apps, and he suggested BlackBerry exit hardware.

"We believe BlackBerry’s latest product path is doomed to fail for the same reasons BlackBerry’s hardware efforts have fallen short over the last three years, and don’t believe the company has the potential of seeing any meaningful success as a device player in the smartphone market going forward," said Blair.

The analyst continued, "As the company has thrown different hardware designs at its share loss challenges, we have looked for any evidence of a pickup in sell-through of new BlackBerry devices to gauge the potential for a turnaround in company fundamentals. It hasn’t happened."

Regarding the Leap, Blair said, "We have seen this movie before. Last time we saw it, it was called the Z10 (launched in early 2013) and it didn’t sell many units or prop up BlackBerry fundamentals. We see the Leap as having the same problem: it is elegant hardware and has specs that are generally competitive in the smartphone sector, however its fatal flaw is that it runs BlackBerry software which consumers and enterprise customers have moved on from. It also lacks one critical component – apps. With no meaningful BlackBerry unit volumes in the market and no standardization of a single screen size across its device offerings, developers have no incentive to create applications for the platform. With no apps, there will be tepid consumer interest and no ecosystem can evolve. These same principles are as clear now as they were 3-4 years ago."

I believe we too have seen this movie before... Quite a few times, in fact!
    03-24-15 09:38 AM
    Maybe they feel this week is their last chance to push the SP down....$9.50 is strong support...can they break it downward? Exit short positions prior to the CC. Friday will be interesting. I'm betting it follows the last ER. Strong push down by the bears pre-market and early morning....then the big funds pick up the stock cheap and it recovers and goes higher. Maybe it will sit at $10 again end of the week.
    I'm sure it's their last chance to get out, all that bad news is speculation IMO. I'm looking forward to Friday I'm confident it's going to be good news .
    03-24-15 09:46 AM
    OT:

Morgan Stanley CFO leaves for same position at Google

Reuters
    Published Tuesday, Mar. 24 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
    Last updated Tuesday, Mar. 24 2015, 9:39 AM EDT

Morgan Stanley chief financial officer Ruth Porat is leaving the bank to join Google Inc. in the same position, the companies said on Tuesday.

Porat, 57, will replace Patrick Pichette, who said on March 10 that he planned to retire.

Jonathan Pruzan, co-head of Morgan Stanley’s global financial institutions group in investment banking, will become CFO after Porat leaves on April 30.

Porat, who joined Morgan Stanley in 1987, is no stranger to the technology industry, having led the bank’s technology franchise during the Internet boom.

She has been the lead banker for financing of companies including Amazon.com Inc. and eBay Inc.

Porat will join Google on May 26, the company said in a blog post.

During the financial crisis, Porat led the Morgan Stanley teams advising the U.S. Treasury on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and the New York Federal Reserve Bank on American International Group Inc.

Pruzan joined Morgan Stanley in 1994 and he has been working with its financial institution clients.

“He understands the current regulatory environment, having shepherded clients through the Fed’s stress test ...” chief executive James Gorman said in a memo to staff.

Google shares were up 0.7 per cent at $570.45 (U.S.) in early trading on the Nasdaq, while Morgan Stanley shares were down slightly at $36.16 on the New York Stock Exchange.
    03-24-15 09:52 AM
    Not with the brown shoes again
    03-24-15 09:52 AM
    Lol, he bases his downgrade on the Leap, Z10 and apps. He forgot to mention how outdated Brick Breaker is.

If we draw from the positives, all of the bearish analysts seem to agree that the hardware division alone is worth $7/share since that's all they talk about in their analysis.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 09:59 AM
    Lol, he bases his downgrade on the Leap, Z10 and apps. He forgot to mention how outdated Brick Breaker is.

If we draw from the positives, all of the bearish analysts seem to agree that the hardware division alone is worth $7/share since that's all they talk about in their analysis.

Posted via CB10
    BBRY is severely undervalued and once we hit an inflection point with rev then we will start being valued properly and not as a dead/dying company. I dont believe that it will be this earnings report but next. Once we can show we have hit the bottom in rev and start our growth dont be surprised if you see this thing jump over 20 bucks a share rather quickly
    03-24-15 10:05 AM
    On Rosenblatt:
    http://www.streetinsider.com/Analyst.../10398274.html

I believe we too have seen this movie before... Quite a few times, in fact!
    Wall Street leaked inside information to friends and the clairvoyants are changing projections.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    03-24-15 10:29 AM

Classically Posted.
    Color doesn't really matter when the device itself is feminine.
    Sorry Shane.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag and CDM76 like this.
    03-24-15 10:39 AM
    Yah expect earnings very close to Chen's projections. Some analysts who projected higher (and seem confused about which fiscal year it is). Will be very disappointed with the miss. Chen will mutter his frustration again about analysts being disappointed he is on or better than plan.

Service rev down. ASP up. Phones make money which nobody thinks is important

Maybe I missed something....

Posted with my flash Passport
    Just to add...

I see JC as the conservative type of guy... under promise, over deliver type of guy... so his projections should be what analysts should base their estimates on. After all, JC will damn make sure to engineer and achieve his numbers one way or another !
    (like the last ER report)

w.r.t handsets...

Yes, selling handsets can make money and can be important.... but not in BB's current position... that has not been a good card to play (right now).

It's like pi$$ing in the wind.... yes, it feels good to have taken a leak... but look at the results.
    Not pretty.
    awindsr and CDM76 like this.
    03-24-15 10:49 AM
    Just to add...

I see JC as the conservative type of guy... under promise, over deliver type of guy... so his projections should be what analysts should base their estimates on. After all, JC will damn make sure to engineer and achieve his numbers one way or another !
    (like the last ER report)

w.r.t handsets...

Yes, selling handsets can make money and can be important.... but not in BB's current position... that has not been a good card to play (right now).

It's like pi$$ing in the wind.... yes, it feels good to have taken a leak... but look at the results.
    Not pretty.
    Are you making fun of the way I take a shower!

Blackberry should stay in hardware and not let the market dictate it's strategy. Security is from end to end. At least build one Blackberry phone per year or two. Let other manufacture have the rest. I believe that's what John Chen said the company would do, one out off the box phone per year. Let this one phone be build and everything Blackberry about it.

If Blackberry does drop hardware, I will be using the can and string system to communicate. I better start collecting cans and strings.
    morganplus8, Corbu, 3MIKE and 8 others like this.
    03-24-15 11:28 AM
    IMO, they should not be putting extra resources in the handset business, or relying too heavily on it right now thinking they can generate more revenue... the past execs did this, and got burned.

Yes.... keep it alive, on standby so to speak, definitely do no sell it... but let's face it, its not the money maker it once was (right now). Maybe in the not too distant future it will be a good play for them to invest and build it.
    But not now (no matter how much I love their hardware.)

As JC said many times when he inherited the company.... "how do I make money?"

Handsets is not the answer right now (re: pissing in the wind)

Need to make the hard calls, (no pun intended), and cut the funding in that direction for now, because it is not selling as they would like.

As you all know, with all the available resources, patents, tech... the better way for them is to really push the software/services to make good, quick, money where these streams will continue.

For now....Save money, because he seems to be very tight with his hand, build a good house (with a washroom).... and pee in comfort all he wants!

lol
    03-24-15 11:47 AM
    UBS's point of view...

BlackBerry Ltd Should Exit Devices: UBS

BlackBerry Ltd Should Exit Devices: UBS
    Wall Street is expecting losses of 4 cents per share on $820 million in revenue for BlackBerry's 4Q fiscal 2015

The bar for BlackBerry Ltd (NASDAQ:BBRY) (TSE:BB)�s next earnings report on Friday has been set very low by analysts, which means even a small beat could cause a significant jump in the company�s share price. Friday�s report is for the fourth quarter of the 2015 fiscal year, and all eyes will be on software revenue.

BlackBerry in the middle of transition

BlackBerry is continuing a tough transition from being a devices company to a software company, with management targeting $500,000 million in software revenue for the 2016 fiscal year. Wall Street has urged management to dump the devices division to focus entirely on software for some time, and UBS AG (NYSE:UBS) analysts are renewing this call.

For now anyway, BlackBerry shows no signs of deciding to shed its devices segment, releasing several new handsets each year in a gamble to bring former loyalists back to the brand.

Will BlackBerry ever become a pure-play EEM firm?

In a report dated March 23, UBS analyst Amitabh Passi and associate Tejas Venkatesh said they would prefer that BlackBerry become a pure-play enterprise mobility management company by getting rid of its devices. They see this as being an important move because it would remove the perception that BlackBerry is still trying to compete with the likes of Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) and the many Android smartphone makers.

By moving entirely into enterprise mobility management, they say BlackBerry would be �on a more equal footing� with companies like MobileIron, VMware, Inc. (NYSE:VMW) and other companies in the space. Additionally, they think dumping devices would remove some of the volatility in BlackBerry�s stock as they cause many investors to question the company�s future and ability to succeed.

Focusing on BES 12

In Friday�s earnings report, analysts will be especially focused on adoption rates for BlackBerry Enterprise Server 12 and other value-added services like security and productivity and other enterprise services. The UBS team said it�s important that BlackBerry not only monetize BES12 but also its other software bundles like BlackBerry Messenger.

They don�t think BlackBerry will be able to hit its target of $500 million in software revenue for 2016. They�re estimating just $430 million, saying that a �certain set of assumptions� would have to occur in order for the company to hit that target. One of those assumptions is a very-high 70% conversion rate for BES12 (All charts and graphs in this article are courtesy UBS.).

One of the reasons UBS is so bearish on BlackBerry�s software revenue is because of their latest survey of chief investment officers of major companies. They report that the release of BES12 hasn�t changed their likeliness of opting for BlackBerry over other enterprise mobility management solutions

Expectations for BlackBerry�s earnings report

The UBS team maintained its Neutral rating and $10 per share price target on BlackBerry going into this week�s earnings report. Their estimate for losses per share moves from 2 cents per share down to 5 cents per share.

For the 2016 fiscal year, they�re projecting earnings of 1 cent per share, an improvement from their previous estimate of a loss of 1 cent per share.

Can BlackBerry succeed?

While UBS sees BlackBerry�s $500 million target for software revenue as being a long shot, GMP analysts think it�s possible. Analysts Deepak Kaushal and Angelica Uruena have a Hold rating and $9 per share price target on BlackBerry.

They believe BlackBerry�s expectations of hitting cash flow breakeven in 2015 and $500 million in software revenue in 2016 can be achieved through improvements of hardware margins and price increases �into the core customer base,� plus �some early expansion of cross-platform device management.�

GMP does note, however, that BlackBerry still faces headwinds from �growing irrelevance� and competition. For the fourth fiscal quarter, they�re estimating losses of 2 cents per share on $864.8 million in revenue. Those numbers compare to the consensus estimates of $820 million in revenue and losses of 4 cents per share.

As of this writing, shares of BlackBerry were up 0.11% to $9.53 per share at the NASDAQ.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry1.pngThe BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry2.pngThe BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry3.png
    03-24-15 11:55 AM
113,256 ... 32783279328032813282 ...