View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    03-19-15 02:16 PM
    I cant help but think John Chen and the Blackberry team don't need hardware numbers for this quarter.
    If they needed the numbers! they would have done something different. Anyways, I don't know anything and pretty much zero brain cells.
    Save for next quarter!!!

Anyone know how many Blackberry 10 phones are in the market?
    03-19-15 02:32 PM
    You can tell when an ER is a week away!!!
    03-19-15 02:43 PM
    I'm confused now.
    When everything else is as good as the NOC when it comes to secure data transportation, then what's the point of the NOC?
    Services like messaging or file sharing add value, the security is standard.

From what I think I know...

Blackberry has ECC encryption patent and that level of encryption goes through the NOC. No one else can use it without licensing.

AES256 type encryption is widely used, hard to break but can be broken with brute force given in reasonable time given the required computing horsepower.
    There is nothing special about ECC, It's just more efficient than RSA. ECC and RSA are public key algorithm, AES is a private key algorithm, they work together. The public key is used to send the private key, which is used to secure the session.

So, BB brings in value by installing some secure chip on Ford that can only establish connection via BB NOC and nothing else. This is how all BB phones work too and this is why BB phones are consider so secure because security is baked into lowest layer (hardware).
    Those chips are used to store keys (probably a client certificate), and maybe as a secure cryptoprocessor to encrypt the software. The chip use the same standard algorithms, there is no need of a BlackBerry server.
    The car use the certificate of Ford's server to check if it's a genuine Ford server. The certificate on the car shows that is a genuine Ford car.
    03-19-15 02:48 PM
    The village *diots arrive right on cue
    03-19-15 02:55 PM
    To bbjdog who said:
    Jxnb and Jacquie McNish sounds to close for comfort. LOL
    Anyways, there thoughts and nothing else.

My response: Please don't associate me. I'm just passing on what I heard with some of my own editorial. Thank you.
    03-19-15 03:07 PM
    Some excerpts from the NSA itself:

The Case for Elliptic Curve Cryptography

In their day these public key techniques revolutionized cryptography. Over the last twenty years however, new techniques have been developed which offer both better performance and higher security than these first generation public key techniques. The best assured group of new public key techniques is built on the arithmetic of elliptic curves.

While at current security levels elliptic curves do not offer significant benefits over existing public key algorithms, as one scales security upwards over time to meet the evolving threat posed by eavesdroppers and hackers with access to greater computing resources, elliptic curves begin to offer dramatic savings over the old, first generation techniques.

Security is not the only attractive feature of elliptic curve cryptography. Elliptic curve cryptosystems also are more computationally efficient than the first generation public key systems, RSA and Diffie-Hellman. Although elliptic curve arithmetic is slightly more complex per bit than either RSA or DH arithmetic, the added strength per bit more than makes up for any extra compute time. The following table shows the ratio of DH computation versus EC computation for each of the key sizes listed in Table 1.

Conclusion:

Elliptic Curve Cryptography provides greater security and more efficient performance than the first generation public key techniques (RSA and Diffie-Hellman) now in use. As vendors look to upgrade their systems they should seriously consider the elliptic curve alternative for the computational and bandwidth advantages they offer at comparable security.

https://www.nsa.gov/business/program...ic_curve.shtml
    03-19-15 03:19 PM
    OT: SC highlights concerns regarding Wi-fi updates for cars.

Wi-Fi car updates pose security risk - SC Magazine UK
    bungaboy, zyben, jxnb and 1 others like this.
    03-19-15 04:22 PM
    Some excerpts from the NSA itself:

The Case for Elliptic Curve Cryptography

In their day these public key techniques revolutionized cryptography. Over the last twenty years however, new techniques have been developed which offer both better performance and higher security than these first generation public key techniques. The best assured group of new public key techniques is built on the arithmetic of elliptic curves.

While at current security levels elliptic curves do not offer significant benefits over existing public key algorithms, as one scales security upwards over time to meet the evolving threat posed by eavesdroppers and hackers with access to greater computing resources, elliptic curves begin to offer dramatic savings over the old, first generation techniques.

Security is not the only attractive feature of elliptic curve cryptography. Elliptic curve cryptosystems also are more computationally efficient than the first generation public key systems, RSA and Diffie-Hellman. Although elliptic curve arithmetic is slightly more complex per bit than either RSA or DH arithmetic, the added strength per bit more than makes up for any extra compute time. The following table shows the ratio of DH computation versus EC computation for each of the key sizes listed in Table 1.

Conclusion:

Elliptic Curve Cryptography provides greater security and more efficient performance than the first generation public key techniques (RSA and Diffie-Hellman) now in use. As vendors look to upgrade their systems they should seriously consider the elliptic curve alternative for the computational and bandwidth advantages they offer at comparable security.

https://www.nsa.gov/business/program...ic_curve.shtml
    Here is the National Enquirer version of the topic:

BlackBerry: Make Certicom Patents Licensing More Affordable - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Seeking Alpha
    03-19-15 04:28 PM
    OT: SC highlights concerns regarding Wi-fi updates for cars.

Wi-Fi car updates pose security risk - SC Magazine UK
    But that's okay. Ford has entrusted that aspect to Microsoft! Microsoft has more experience than anyone with sending out OS updates! LOL

Posted via CB10
    La Emperor, zyben and rarsen like this.
    03-19-15 04:57 PM
    The anti freedom and democracy BlackBerry haters out in full force I see spreading their FUD. These anti freedom and democracy BlackBerry haters spend an unusual amount of time on CB. Why would that be?

America hates BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 05:13 PM
    If I'm not wrong, I do recall that Microsoft only has the none private and none essential downloads. I do recall Ford creating their own in house version, with whom, I don't know. My understanding is Microsoft will carry the less important and Ford will be taking care of the critical updates. Blackberry can be a possibility for the in-house cloud service, at least I hope.
    Corbu and rarsen like this.
    03-19-15 06:01 PM
    Services like messaging or file sharing add value, the security is standard.

There is nothing special about ECC, It's just more efficient than RSA. ECC and RSA are public key algorithm, AES is a private key algorithm, they work together. The public key is used to send the private key, which is used to secure the session.

Those chips are used to store keys (probably a client certificate), and maybe as a secure cryptoprocessor to encrypt the software. The chip use the same standard algorithms, there is no need of a BlackBerry server.
    The car use the certificate of Ford's server to check if it's a genuine Ford server. The certificate on the car shows that is a genuine Ford car.
    You are right. I am perplexed. I don't fully understand if and what role BlackBerry is going to play if Ford has chosen Microsoft. While ECC is indeed special it is not in orders of several magnitudes better than others so I doubt ECC would be a clinching factor.

On the other hand, secure chip - I have to say - BlackBerry is one of the few companies that has expertise in the area. It is not just about the certificate (certificates have been spoofed before), it's how security is tied from lowest level to highest application layer level and this is something that BlackBerry (and perhaps only BlackBerry) has consistently proven it (by acquiring multitudes of DOD/NATO certifications). How they do it is obviously a mystery to me and perhaps a trade secret for BlackBerry. And BlackBerry has this technology in consumer grade phones. All BB have some sort of secure processor that can't be tampered with. Their military grade stuff is probably even more secure.

So, if BlackBerry is still involved, it is involved from security standpoint for sure. While secure transport can be implemented over plain internet (via encryption, secure tunneling and so on), I think BlackBerry has some differentiating factor that others don't. So, if BB is still involved, security must definitely be one of the things (if not only thing) that BlackBerry would be bringing to the table.

Again, I am hesitant to speak confidently or authoritatively on this because I too, like you, am perplexed by this Ford/Microsoft deal. Is BB still involved?

One other possibility is this:
    BlackBerry/QNX runs car's systems
    Microsoft Azure cloud handles data and and updates.
    Ford implements its own security using multitude of encryption technologies available

That is, instead of purchasing NOC services (which would bring recurring revenue), Ford may just be licensing QNX OS (which would bring revenue only when OS is licensed and a new license for a new OS version is purchased).
    Corbu, zyben, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    03-19-15 09:28 PM
    The anti freedom and democracy BlackBerry haters out in full force I see spreading their FUD. These anti freedom and democracy BlackBerry haters spend an unusual amount of time on CB. Why would that be?

America hates BlackBerry

Posted via CB10

Totally OT, but I noticed your slogan that foots each of your posts.

You realize that America technically includes North (Canada, eh?) and South (Latin America).

Perhaps change to "U.S. 'OF' America..." because you are stating that us crazy canucks hate BlackBerry too!

Just Sayin'.
    03-19-15 10:03 PM
    So, if BlackBerry is still involved, it is involved from security standpoint for sure. While secure transport can be implemented over plain internet (via encryption, secure tunneling and so on), I think BlackBerry has some differentiating factor that others don't. So, if BB is still involved, security must definitely be one of the things (if not only thing) that BlackBerry would be bringing to the table.
    That's a real fear. Companies will choose the cheapest way out. If they can say they implemented AES256 encryption, they'll tout it and say it works even though they may have implemented it incorrectly. Look at how many times companies have touted their use of encryption or other security features only to be hacked/cracked shortly thereafter. Security is tough to do right but people think you implement one thing and all is good. And somehow their implementation is usually put at the same level as Blackberry's.

World would be much easier if BlackBerry weren't around. Then everyone can claim no one can reasonably do better and the lack of security would be deemed ok.

Now if governments outlawed "cyber insurance" maybe, just maybe, we would see real improvements in security. Without insurance, hopefully security lapses would no longer be a cost of business.

OT: The Target class action settlement currently being discussed worries me. How many people will be able to prove loss directly attributable to the Target hack? Very few in my opinion. Home Depot's class action law suit is up next.

Posted via CB10
    zyben, Corbu and rarsen like this.
    03-19-15 10:28 PM
    I'm thinking too hard. Last quarter Chen said one more quarter of transition meaning lower revs.

Recently he said they were two months ahead of plan. Revenues can't dip that much if they are two months ahead of plan...as that would infer two months in to the next quarter and next quarter would be higher revs.

I don't see hardware numbers going up. So I'm guessing two months ahead of plan for uptake of BES. I think software will be very good, and forecasting even better. Chen will reaffirm the 500M number and say 'probably a little better than that'.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 11:07 PM
    As a reminder the package that Prem and the board agreed upon to John Chen, from the Schedule B,

Cash Compensation: Base Salary of $1,000,000 and Performance Bonus of 200% of Base Salary, or $2,000,000
    Equity Compensation: 13,000,000 restricted share units (~2.0% fully-diluted for $1.25bn convert), vesting over five years:
    *�*25% upon 3rd anniversary
    *�*25% upon 4th anniversary
    *�*50% upon 5th anniversary

He is in it for the long haul and this package is reflective of that.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 11:16 PM
    From last 10-Q:

Overall Cash Flow and Rev 'guidance':

"The Company reached its target of break-even cash flow results in the third quarter of fiscal 2015 and continues to anticipate breakeven or better cash flow from operations. The Company continues to target sustainable non-GAAP profitability sometime in fiscal 2016. The Company anticipates a challenging fourth quarter of fiscal 2015 in terms of revenue, followed by revenue stabilization and eventual return to revenue growth sometime in fiscal 2016"

Software Rev Guidance:

"The Company expects to realize approximately $250 million in software revenue in fiscal 2015 from BES, technical support, and other value added services. The Company expects software revenue to increase beginning in the second quarter of fiscal 2016 and expects approximately $500 million in software revenue in fiscal 2016. The Company expects to generate this revenue from monetizing existing and forthcoming products, including as described above in �Overview - Strategic Initiatives and Products and Services Update"

Services Rev Guidance:

"In the second quarter of fiscal 2015, the Company stated its expectations that service revenue would decline in the third quarter of fiscal 2015 by 10 to 15%. Service revenues for the third quarter of fiscal 2015 decreased by approximately 13% compared to the second quarter of fiscal 2015. The Company expects service revenue to decline in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2015 by approximately 15"

Not much for hardware guidance:

"The Company expects the average selling prices of its devices to increase in the next several quarters due to the higher selling price of the Passport and Classic"

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 11:31 PM
    As a reminder the package that Prem and the board agreed upon to John Chen, from the Schedule B,

Cash Compensation: Base Salary of $1,000,000 and Performance Bonus of 200% of Base Salary, or $2,000,000
    Equity Compensation: 13,000,000 restricted share units (~2.0% fully-diluted for $1.25bn convert), vesting over five years:
    *�*25% upon 3rd anniversary
    *�*25% upon 4th anniversary
    *�*50% upon 5th anniversary

He is in it for the long haul and this package is reflective of that.

Posted via CB10
    Yep and he deserves every penny.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 02:17 AM
    Anyone thinks BBRY would go USD 15 after ER?

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 02:19 AM
    Anyone thinks BBRY would go USD 15 after ER?

Posted via CB10
    Would have to be a blowout with big recurring revenue.
    Its possible though, if BES12 has huge uptake. We also know that Chen carried forward hardware from last quarter. BBM revenue could be better than expected, and with uptick in active users.
    Difficult to know which revenue streams are already kicking in. Do Google or Samsung pay up front for having their Androids secured? Or Ford?

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 03:39 AM
    OT but related to QNX:
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-to...?mod=yahoo_itp

There were rumors of Apple buying Tesla. Now Tesla making a big push into OTA updates and automotive software. It could be Apples big step into IoT (their big weakness, imo).

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, jxnb, morganplus8 and 3 others like this.
    03-20-15 03:45 AM
    I didn't have the guts - nor wanted to set irrational expectations - to publish this "idea" when I read that not only Windows10 upgrade was free but that it'll be available for several Android devices as a ROM. Yet, now it's live, I'll let you elaborate about this, mixed with all the partnerships we currently see happening. For once, rooting capabilities could be something really convenient for BB10 and I do believe MANY Android hardware owners will - at least - give it a try. And I'm still trying to find a counter-positive about it ... without finding it, especially in the consumers' space.

Enjoy. This might be the shock news (as per usual : I have zero insider info about this, just personal thoughts).

Giving Away Free BlackBerry 10 OS To Android Phone Users Could Be Decisive - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Seeking Alpha

EDIT : to avoid a massive OT, please react in this thread : http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru.../#post11485742

Re-edit + OT : since you were probably asleep ...
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture1.png
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 03-20-15 at 05:35 AM.
    bungaboy, rarsen, jxnb and 10 others like this.
    03-20-15 04:00 AM
    Good deal!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-fs-q5.jpg
    03-20-15 07:45 AM
    FWIW:
    Tech Analyst Warns That BlackBerry Ltd (NASDAQ: BBRY) Has 'Upper Boundary' Of $10 | Benzinga

BlackBerry Ltd. is approaching its "upper boundary," according to an analyst at Imperial Capital in a note that previews next week's earnings report. The analyst has a price target of $10 on the stock based on a sum-of-the-parts valuation and the fact that $1.25 billion in convertible debt can be exchanged for shares at $10.

In a preview of next week's earnings, Imperial Capital mentioned that it sees BlackBerry's revenue at $753 million with a quarterly loss of $0.05 per share. The firm also said that risks to its outlook are on the downside with potential for declining service revenue and potential risks to the software outlook.

Imperial questioned BlackBerry management's ability to double software revenue to $500 million in FY16. Based on its industry conversations, Imperial said that BlackBerry has not won any "major customers" – even saying that one competitor said it competed against Blackberry in "few (if any)" RFPs.

BlackBerry closed Thursday at $9.70, indicating just 3 percent potential upside to the stock based on this analysis.
    03-20-15 09:03 AM
113,256 ... 32733274327532763277 ...