View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Maybe old news here, but I just saw that a book on BlackBerry is coming out this May. It's called Losing the Signal: The Untold Story Behind the Extraordinary Rise and Spectacular Fall of Blackberry, by Jacquie McNish and Sean Silcoff. Of course, it's important to acknowledge the past and learn from it -- but I would guess that John Chen, despite all that he and the amazing BBRY teams are doing, will have damage control to do here. He and they are good at it. The narrative has changed, the company has completely changed, BBRY's prospects have fundamentally changed. Nonetheless, fellow shareholders will probably want to know about this book and others that undoubtedly will follow.
    Jacquie McNish is one the most disgusting reporters to have ever commented on BlackBerry, now she wants us to read more of her garbage? Her baseless comments derived from hearsay and mostly made up nonsense has polluted the media boards for years. She makes all the others seem like choir boys, she invented the art of endless dribble in the investment community. Where is that train when you need it ............... what a sad day for us.
    03-19-15 09:40 AM
    OT

Thanks back to those who ordered Passports with Elite coupon codes !
    This program was suggested by Elite members and was a first test, no doubt (IMHO, nothing official) we should see it happen again for another device !
    So stay tuned !
    Hopefully with the slider lol

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and Superfly_FR like this.
    03-19-15 09:43 AM
    Jacquie McNish is one the most disgusting reporters to have ever commented on BlackBerry, now she wants us to read more of her garbage? Her baseless comments derived from hearsay and mostly made up nonsense has polluted the media boards for years. She makes all the others seem like choir boys, she invented the art of endless dribble in the investment community. Where is that train when you need it ............... what a sad day for us.
    Could not agree more.

On Jacquie McNish:
    https://ca.linkedin.com/in/jacquiemcnish

Adjunct Professor
    Osgoode Hall Law School
    September 2008 � Present (6 years 7 months)
    Adjunct Professor 3rd year law seminar on investor rights and shareholder activism. Course is designed for law students and business journalists.
    03-19-15 09:45 AM
    Could not agree more.

On Jacquie McNish:
    https://ca.linkedin.com/in/jacquiemcnish

That's the tip of the iceberg, she did a long stint on BNN - Business News Network before Amber and the girls arrived, (Pause: let's think about Amber and Katherine shall we ..... there), she would respond to any question thrown at her whether she understood the question or not, the latter most of the time. After years of listening to her dribble, she became an "expert" on hearsay and BlackBerry!!! Pure garbage.
    03-19-15 09:58 AM
    Maybe old news here, but I just saw that a book on BlackBerry is coming out this May. It's called Losing the Signal: The Untold Story Behind the Extraordinary Rise and Spectacular Fall of Blackberry, by Jacquie McNish and Sean Silcoff. Of course, it's important to acknowledge the past and learn from it -- but I would guess that John Chen, despite all that he and the amazing BBRY teams are doing, will have damage control to do here. He and they are good at it. The narrative has changed, the company has completely changed, BBRY's prospects have fundamentally changed. Nonetheless, fellow shareholders will probably want to know about this book and others that undoubtedly will follow.
    This was offensive and was removed, by bbjdog

Anyways, there thoughts and nothing else.
    Last edited by bbjdog; 03-19-15 at 05:33 PM.
    03-19-15 10:12 AM
    03-19-15 10:23 AM
    Maybe old news here, but I just saw that a book on BlackBerry is coming out this May. It's called Losing the Signal: The Untold Story Behind the Extraordinary Rise and Spectacular Fall of Blackberry, by Jacquie McNish and Sean Silcoff.
    Interesting cover

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-71quidpetal.jpg
    03-19-15 10:30 AM
    Interesting cover

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71qUIDPETAL.jpg 
Views:	1347 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	342426
    I'll read it when the title is the rise and fall and rise again lol

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 10:36 AM
    Soon to be a new title. Watch for it in 2020.

"The Spectacular Rise, Fall and Rebirth of BlackBerry "

Posted by the indomitable Zed Ten.
    03-19-15 10:36 AM
    I will try to stay away from guessing as my numbers are more hopeful than reality. But no matter what the ER is I am here to stay! will hold my shares all the way to $100/share party!
    p.s. Voting that the party should be on Morgan Own Island!
    cheer to all of you fine people!
    Ok i'll go:

Revenue 750M
    Hardware: 350M (300K passports, 300K classics, 100K Z3, 200K Z30, 300K all other = 1.2M device sales)
    Services: 320M
    Software: 70M
    Other: 10M
    lech31, Corbu, La Emperor and 10 others like this.
    03-19-15 10:48 AM
    I'll read it when the title is the rise and fall and rise again lol

Posted via CB10
    That would be Part II of the series.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-19-15 10:56 AM
    out of the 200k initially reported sold Passports, the majority were not accounted for in the previous ER.

which means they got less thank 100k into customers hands in the previous quarter.

if we're generous and assume it was 99k that they got into customers hands, then doubling Passport deliveries would be quite the feat. putting Passport sales at ~200k for this ER.

imo best case scenario, they get 200k classics delivered.
    03-19-15 11:24 AM
    Now we also know when it comes to secure data transport handling BBRY is the best in town. We've agreed that they are responsible for that task. That's why it just makes sense that BES 12 handles the data extraction at the back end for collection as well. No need for Ford to reinvent the system to do this. Ford will just pay a volume discounted per car fee. There are obviously other players in the field aside from BES 12 so we'll just have to wait and see on who gets what. or on how its actually implemented. Jasper, btw is pretty big on IOT of cars, based from what I read.
    Encryption is based on open standards that have been tested for decades. BlackBerry does transport encryption in the same why that Google, Microsoft, Banks and any other company.
    The car can be connected directly to Ford's private cloud through an encrypted channel, there is no reason to go through a middleman like NOC. Microsoft, IBM and other consulting companies make money helping to implement these systems. Cloud providers offer services, ready to use, designed to collect data from IoT devices and send them through encrypted channels to the cloud. There is no reason to pay a third party company like BlackBerry to implement just encryption. There is no value in that.

BlackBerry has to provide an end to end solution and compete with PaaS providers like Azure, AWS and Google. This solution could include hardware, operating system, transport, storage, analytics and apps to consume the data. However, they can't compete in general purpose services and tools because they don't have the scale, so they have to offer canned solutions for particular problems in particular industries, ready to use systems for a fraction of the cost that It would take to do them at home. Although, the big cloud providers are going to develop these verticals too.
    03-19-15 11:24 AM
    out of the 200k initially reported sold Passports, the majority were not accounted for in the previous ER.

which means they got less thank 100k into customers hands in the previous quarter.

if we're generous and assume it was 99k that they got into customers hands, then doubling Passport deliveries would be quite the feat. putting Passport sales at ~200k for this ER.

I'm guessing they can do 20K builds a week in Mexico or Waterloo or wherever they are building them. Chen said they need a quarter to catch up...so I'm assuming they can sell or have sold everyone one of those 20K per week builds. So between 240 and 300 seems reasonable to me...I think they had a bunch built and ready to ship but held them back until the quarter ended to push some revenue to this quarter....Earnings management.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-19-15 12:06 PM

Classic are built by Foxconn so I think they have more flexibility in changing build rates based on demand. Foxconn takes a piece of every sale so they have incentive to build as many as there have been ordered....300K launch orders...I think they would have have some launch build up and then with weekly builds they could easily have built and have shipped 300K

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 12:11 PM
    OT
    Sometimes you're happy you don't have the latest app release on your device (P.S: bug has been patched, if you use android version: update).

03-19-15 12:12 PM
    Encryption is based on open standards that have been tested for decades. BlackBerry does transport encryption in the same why that Google, Microsoft, Banks and any other company.
    The car can be connected directly to Ford's private cloud through an encrypted channel, there is no reason to go through a middleman like NOC. Microsoft, IBM and other consulting companies make money helping to implement these systems. Cloud providers offer services, ready to use, designed to collect data from IoT devices and send them through encrypted channels to the cloud. There is no reason to pay a third party company like BlackBerry to implement just encryption. There is no value in that.

BlackBerry has to provide an end to end solution and compete with PaaS providers like Azure, AWS and Google. This solution could include hardware, operating system, transport, storage, analytics and apps to consume the data. However, they can't compete in general purpose services and tools because they don't have the scale, so they have to offer canned solutions for particular problems in particular industries, ready to use systems for a fraction of the cost that It would take to do them at home. Although, the big cloud providers are going to develop these verticals too.
    I'm confused now.
    When everything else is as good as the NOC when it comes to secure data transportation, then what's the point of the NOC?
    Seems to be a complete waste of ressources to maintain the NOC, when it has no advantages.
    03-19-15 12:14 PM
    I'm confused now.
    When everything else is as good as the NOC when it comes to secure data transportation, then what's the point of the NOC?
    Seems to be a complete waste of ressources to maintain the NOC, when it has no advantages.
    From what I think I know...

Blackberry has ECC encryption patent and that level of encryption goes through the NOC. No one else can use it without licensing.

AES256 type encryption is widely used, hard to break but can be broken with brute force given in reasonable time given the required computing horsepower.

Posted via CB10
    georg4BB and zyben like this.
    03-19-15 12:21 PM

I hear your argument loud and clear.
    However, if Azure, as a cloud service provider could collect the data from IOT devices as you stated, then why didn't they get that task? For Ford why make it more complicated? They should just deal with one vendor.
    But maybe Ford thinks there's value in extra layer of security. It may not be BBRY who will eventually get that service, but who? Again we really don't know for certain at this point. So I can't go on any further.
    Thanks.
    morganplus8 and zyben like this.
    03-19-15 12:21 PM
    Regarding this Ford and Azure, I think it's time to buy a horse!

Doesn't talk and doesn't tell anyone anything. One really important thing about the horse, he can be your radar system.
    La Emperor likes this.
    03-19-15 12:24 PM
    03-19-15 12:31 PM

True. I haven't chimed in so far because I don't fully understand Ford / Microsoft deal. But I don't find it plausible that while Ford would use Azure for data storage, it'd use NOC for data transport. That makes no sense to me because transport can be done over any network.

BlackBerry NOC doesn't directly connect to your car anyway. BlackBerry has direct lines to carriers.

So, if Ford were to use BB NOC for data transport: it'd mean: car data travels from your car (or phone) to carrier and then carrier to BlackBerry, and then BlackBerry to Ford (assuming BlackBerry gives them a direct line).

So, car -> carrier would be encrypted using standard strong encryption available. BB does the same thing too.

So, I don't see BlackBerry's role in it. EXCEPT under following circumstance:

1. Ford installs a secure chip in cars (BB phones already have that. SecuSMART also has a chip that is capable of encrypting voice too)
    2. This chip is responsible for encryption and can not be tampered with (all BB phones have this chip and one of the reasons BB phones boot slower)
    3. Ford uses this chip to connect to establish secure connection to BB NOC via carrier network/sim card (same way as BB phones do and we see BB logo when connected to BB servers)
    4. Then BB establishes a connection to Azure

So, BB brings in value by installing some secure chip on Ford that can only establish connection via BB NOC and nothing else. This is how all BB phones work too and this is why BB phones are consider so secure because security is baked into lowest layer (hardware).
    03-19-15 12:33 PM
    BlackBerry NOC doesn't directly connect to your car anyway. BlackBerry has direct lines to carriers.
    Thank for pointing this out. I did a shortcut of some sort.
    I know that BBRY don't own any cell towers so it's just logical that they have a direct connection to the Telco CO to get the device data.
    Cheers.
    03-19-15 01:16 PM
    I am glad that you nailed it with your comments, because this is very suspicious of absolute FUD.
    It would be prudent for the author's to reiterate your proper points in either the preface or ending, but something tells me they won't. Perhaps out of sheer ignorance?

Ok Corbu, get your copy and paste buffer ready to put up the largest post that this thread has ever seen: the entire "Losing the signal" book, so that we don't have to give it clicks. Lol.

Edit: oh, I forgot to mention that according to her brilliant title, she clearly has never heard of Paratek.
    A poor choice of title, wouldn't you say?
    Hmmmm.
    03-19-15 01:47 PM
    Special insider event happening at the end of March.

Attachment 342393
    Special Classic insider event?

I'll be sure to be wearing my Ovaltine secret decoder ring for that.
    03-19-15 01:49 PM
113,256 ... 32723273327432753276 ...