View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    OT from the Related Technologies and Security files,

The Insane Apple Advantage Revisited - Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) | Seeking Alpha
    Author of the article says: Lately, I had been noticing something curious. The prices on the discounted Android flagships from yesteryear started seeming not so different from those for the equivalent iPhones. The iPhone's resale value advantage is mostly gone. Furthermore, even the market value of a 2-year-old iPhone is now insufficient to pay for the subsidized pricing on the new iPhone. It thus seems that Android's combination of hardware and software has gotten more valuable, relatively speaking, with the latest versions of Android (and devices). At the same time, older Android devices are still somewhat less valuable. This is consistent with Android getting relatively better and with the massive bet on higher specs over time by Android device makers.
    Any development regarding the iPhone franchise is extremely important for Apple. It is arguable that 4/5ths of Apple's value thus comes from the iPhone franchise. It joins other present and future developments which will also slowly eat away at Apple's overall advantage.
    03-18-15 02:36 PM
    03-18-15 02:53 PM
    From the horses mouth itself. RE: Microsoft and Ford Partnership. Of course what they did not mention here is that after years of tinkering and coming up with buggy software their system was dethroned by this little gem called QNX.

Anyway, I think we are looking at it the wrong way. Instead of being a competitor we actually got another 800lb gorilla as a partner. Azure maybe hosting the cloud and perhaps do the the analytic on the data Ford collects. That is fine. The more Ford/Microsoft pushes add on services, and hardware updates ( ie better sensors or radar, camera ) systems, then the more QNX is involved.

Microsoft’s cloud platform offers Ford the scale and commitment to security they need to support their global operations. And the expansive global footprint of Azure data centers provides the backbone to support Ford’s vehicles anywhere they are in the world. The partnership helps Ford unify a multitude of back end platforms, and allows Ford to utilize Microsoft’s deep expertise across critical areas such as application development and data management and analysis.

Through their Azure-powered Service Delivery Network, Ford is bringing the next generation of ownership experiences to the global market to make vehicle ownership simpler and more engaging through connected experiences.

Microsoft is devoted to helping automotive companies use their brand and data to create ongoing relationships with customers. We are powering connected car innovations from the cloud platform, to data analytics capabilities, to the software that lights up all of the consumer experiences.
    Ford Develops New Service Delivery Network for its Vehicles Powered by Microsoft Azure | Business Matters
    Corbu, rarsen, morganplus8 and 6 others like this.
    03-18-15 05:05 PM
    Perfectly happy with pessimism going into ER.

Much better than the near euphoria we've had previously.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 05:05 PM
    Is it possible that the bond covenants states bondholders must convert shares if they want to liquidate out of the position? Keeping these convertible bonds off the secondary market, and preventing any kind of undesirable takeover.

I keep reading articles and comments on why they would convert the shares. There is really only one logical reason, that would be to get out of the position and take gains.
    03-18-15 05:10 PM
    Perfectly happy with pessimism going into ER.

Much better than the near euphoria we've had previously.

Posted via CB10
    I knew you guys would come around eventually.

$6XX million in revenue will hammer the SP and might present a great buying opportunity. Blood in the streets, max fear....

$7XX million in revenue + decent BES12 guidance and we trade in range.

$8XX million in revenue + decent BES12 guidance and we get a nice pop.

Prepare accordingly and GL to all.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 05:25 PM

$6XX million in revenue will hammer the SP and might present a great buying opportunity. Blood in the streets, max fear....

Posted via CB10
    6xx won't hammer the sp

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 08:02 PM
    From the horses mouth itself. RE: Microsoft and Ford Partnership. Of course what they did not mention here is that after years of tinkering and coming up with buggy software their system was dethroned by this little gem called QNX.

Anyway, I think we are looking at it the wrong way. Instead of being a competitor we actually got another 800lb gorilla as a partner. Azure maybe hosting the cloud and perhaps do the the analytic on the data Ford collects. That is fine. The more Ford/Microsoft pushes add on services, and hardware updates ( ie better sensors or radar, camera ) systems, then the more QNX is involved.

Ford Develops New Service Delivery Network for its Vehicles Powered by Microsoft Azure | Business Matters

I think we need a model to understand how this might be working and under what circumstances BlackBerry may be getting additional revenue.

In addition to what we already know about the Ford/Microsoft deal, let's assume the following:
    1) Assume Amazon's AWS hosts Project Ion and BlackBerry shares revenue with Amazon
    2) Who powers/secures the transmission of the sensitive data hasn't yet been disclosed, so let's assume it is BlackBerry and it's NOCs.
    3) Microsoft Azure handles storage and transmission of the non-sensitive data,
    4) Ford's private cloud for sensitive data is powered by IBM. (make it someone other than BlackBerry)

Ford has paid QNX a license for the Car2 platform that controls most/all car functions, runs apps, can receive commands and updates from Ford, and can send live reports to Ford. QNX got paid a licensing fee upfront per vehicle. Let's assume they also got some additional revenue for use of its developers tools.

Types of Variable Revenue Streams:
    Sensitive Data to Cloud:
    Let's say Ford decides they need info from sensor's A-D, all controlled by QNX. Ford issues a command, all cars get it, and cars respond as they should and transmit the data. BlackBerry is responsible for the transport of sensitive data, so BlackBerry gets paid for transmitting and securing data away from the vehicle. But the storage and analytics of that sensitive data is done by IBM. IBM gets paid for storing and analyzing the data.

Cloud to Car
    Ford develops a new app or system update and pushes it to their cars. They issue the push command, Microsoft's infrastructure transmits the command, the cars receive the command, and vehicles install the new app/system update. QNX Car2 did what Ford paid QNX for, so no new money to QNX/BlackBerry. Microsoft gets paid for the storage and push of that data.

User Interaction with Car
    The Detroit News article and Microsoft's blog, indicated functions like remote starts, battery checks, whatever, are done by Microsoft, so Microsoft gets paid for transmission of data. BlackBerry/QNX isn't involved so no payments.

Any other ways of slicing/dicing who gets paid under which circumstance? Seems BlackBerry will only get more revenue if it's networks or Project Ion are involved. If another "private cloud" is used, BlackBerry won't be making much more revenue. More hands will be reaching for the till if you add mobile data into the mix.
    03-18-15 08:28 PM
    Ok i'll go:

Revenue 750M
    Hardware: 350M (300K passports, 300K classics, 100K Z3, 200K Z30, 300K all other = 1.2M device sales)
    Services: 320M
    Software: 70M
    Other: 10M
    03-18-15 09:51 PM
    6xx won't hammer the sp

Posted via CB10
    Can they make cash flow positive at $6xx M? If not, I wouldn't worry about it....
    03-18-15 09:55 PM
    Ok i'll go:

Revenue 750M
    Hardware: 350M (300K passports, 300K classics, 100K Z3, 200K Z30, 300K all other = 1.2M device sales)
    Services: 320M
    Software: 70M
    Other: 10M
    I think other will be 70 m. Didn't rockstar sell there remaining patents? I think we determine BlackBerry would see 60-90 m from that

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 10:11 PM
    Can they make cash flow positive at $6xx M? If not, I wouldn't worry about it....
    I think they can break even in the high 6xx's

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 10:12 PM
    I think we need a model to understand how this might be working and under what circumstances BlackBerry may be getting additional revenue.

In addition to what we already know about the Ford/Microsoft deal, let's assume the following:
    1) Assume Amazon's AWS hosts Project Ion and BlackBerry shares revenue with Amazon
    2) Who powers/secures the transmission of the sensitive data hasn't yet been disclosed, so let's assume it is BlackBerry and it's NOCs.
    3) Microsoft Azure handles storage and transmission of the non-sensitive data,
    4) Ford's private cloud for sensitive data is powered by IBM. (make it someone other than BlackBerry)

Ford has paid QNX a license for the Car2 platform that controls most/all car functions, runs apps, can receive commands and updates from Ford, and can send live reports to Ford. QNX got paid a licensing fee upfront per vehicle. Let's assume they also got some additional revenue for use of its developers tools.

Sensitive Data to Cloud:
    Let's say Ford decides they need info from sensor's A-D, all controlled by QNX. Ford issues a command, all cars get it, and cars respond as they should and transmit the data. BlackBerry is responsible for the transport of sensitive data, so BlackBerry gets paid for transmitting and securing data away from the vehicle. But the storage and analytics of that sensitive data is done by IBM. IBM gets paid for storing and analyzing the data.

Cloud to Car
    Ford develops a new app or system update and pushes it to their cars. They issue the push command, Microsoft's infrastructure transmits the command, the cars receive the command, and vehicles install the new app/system update. QNX Car2 did what Ford paid QNX for, so no new money to QNX/BlackBerry. Microsoft gets paid for the storage and push of that data.

User Interaction with Car
    The Detroit News article and Microsoft's blog, indicated functions like remote starts, battery checks, whatever, are done by Microsoft, so Microsoft gets paid for transmission of data. BlackBerry/QNX isn't involved so no payments.

Any other ways of slicing/dicing who gets paid under which circumstance? Seems BlackBerry will only get more revenue if it's networks or Project Ion are involved. If another "private cloud" is used, BlackBerry won't be making much more revenue. More hands will be reaching for the till if you add mobile data into the mix.
    With all that you laid out, I would really be interested in hearing how BlackBerry is intending to expand its infrastructure.
    Road map upon expected client increase.
    Redundancy in case of failure.
    Partners for their switch gear.
    Etc.

I haven't heard of anyone really discussing this.
    Kosmann likes this.
    03-18-15 10:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    Who said I hadn't come around a long time ago?

Edited to add smiley:
    Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 11:00 PM
    I think other will be 70 m. Didn't rockstar sell there remaining patents? I think we determine BlackBerry would see 60-90 m from that

Posted via CB10
    Yeah where does that go? Where does the typo judgement go? Where does BBM and all those channel ads they are selling in indonesia...and stickers?

I would love to see an 8xx print. Software next Q I see 90-100 with a full 3 months of ez-pass expired paying customers.

Posted via CB10
    KenFletch, bungaboy and La Emperor like this.
    03-18-15 11:05 PM
    Yeah where does that go? Where does the typo judgement go? Where does BBM and all those channel ads they are selling in indonesia...and stickers?

I would love to see an 8xx print. Software next Q I see 90-100 with a full 3 months of ez-pass expired paying customers.

Posted via CB10
    I believe that will go into other but I doubt we will see 8xx I'm thinking 700-725 more like it

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 11:08 PM
    Some thoughts on the converts discussed here, 1st a link to the Ex-3 which is the SUBSCRIPTION AGREEMENT

EX-3

1st off with respect to the conversion of the shares,
    see below
    (4) Within two years following the Closing Date, if a Purchaser, acting reasonably, so requests in writing, BlackBerry shall use its reasonable commercial efforts to obtain TSX approval of the listing of the Debentures.

also what is interesting is that after November of next year, they can potentially buy back the bonds at a premium

The Issuer may at its option at any time on or after November —, 2016, and from time to time thereafter, redeem all, or any of the Debentures on not less than forty (40) and not more than sixty (60) days’ prior notice to the Holders for cash at the following redemption prices:

(a) 104% of the principal amount of the Debentures to be redeemed, plus accrued and unpaid interest thereon, if any, to but excluding the Redemption Date, if redeemed on or after November —, 2016 and prior to November —, 2017;

(b) 103% of the principal amount of the Debentures to be redeemed, plus accrued and unpaid interest thereon, if any, to but excluding the Redemption Date, if redeemed on or after November —, 2017 and prior to November —, 2018;

(c) 102% of the principal amount of the Debentures to be redeemed, plus accrued and unpaid interest thereon, if any, to but excluding the Redemption Date, if redeemed on or after November —, 2018 and prior to November —, 2019; and

(d) 101% of the principal amount of the Debentures to be redeemed, plus accrued and unpaid interest thereon, if any, to but excluding the Redemption Date, if redeemed on or after November —, 2019 and prior to November —, 2020.
    03-18-15 11:47 PM
    Sensitive Data to Cloud:
    I agree with most of what you said, but a lot of them are assumptions like mine so lets just leave it at that.
    I also believe this is where the potential $ for BBRY is, that's why I quoted and highlighted that part of your reply. We know Ford wants to have the data regularly to get the health status of the car along with the other subsets like driving pattern, mileage per day traveled and so on and on. Perhaps once a week ?? upload to cloud thru telematics is enough...They will mine these data and use it for a bunch reasons like pro active maintenance, future design considerations, parts reliability stats and schedule of service just to name a few. They can also use these data to provide value added services in the future. And finally, if the data can help them minimize the number of recalls and prevent fatality they will come up as a big winner.

Now we also know when it comes to secure data transport handling BBRY is the best in town. We've agreed that they are responsible for that task. That's why it just makes sense that BES 12 handles the data extraction at the back end for collection as well. No need for Ford to reinvent the system to do this. Ford will just pay a volume discounted per car fee. There are obviously other players in the field aside from BES 12 so we'll just have to wait and see on who gets what. or on how its actually implemented. Jasper, btw is pretty big on IOT of cars, based from what I read.

The recurring revenue lets say thru the first 5 years of the cars life, considering the increasing millions of cars getting connected year after year, just from Ford alone will be huge.

These type of complicated infotainment systems used to come on high end models alone, but are increasingly showing up on mid levels and eventually will be standardized for sure on all range of models as the technology matures.

So just for fun some calculations:
    If Ford equips 2 mill of the 7 million car they manufacture annually with sync 3 and pay 1$ per car per month for the data extraction and handling , that would total $24 million.
    The next year if they do the same in sales , they will now have 4 mill with sync 3, and would cost them $48 million this time.
    On the third year, if sales are again flat , it will now cost them $72 million for the 6 million cars with sync 3.
    On the 4th.... and so on.

As illustrated , the potential for license/service fee is huge. Lets just hope BBRY gets the lion share.

Note: The ideas presented here are just based on my personal observations and thru lots of googling. I may very well be out of my league here..so take it with a grain of salt. Thanks.
    Last edited by La Emperor; 03-19-15 at 09:33 AM.
    03-19-15 12:38 AM
    As illustrated , the potential for license/service fee is huge. Lets just hope BBRY gets the lion share.

Note: The ideas presented here are just based on my personal observations and thru lots of googling. I may very well be out of my league here..so take it with a grain of salt. Thanks.
    Thanks for explaining where you're coming from. I agree, let's hope BlackBerry gets the lions share.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 02:36 AM
    OT

• A HUGE success: Thank you to the 35 Elites who sold at least one BlackBerry Passport via the Elite Discount Program for a total of 280 devices sold. We’d like to recognize all those Elites for their hard work:

Antoine Bapst
    Brian Szatkowski
    DJ Reyes
    Edgar Gonzalez
    Edward Chan
    Eldrick Spivey
    George McKinney
    Jenn Annis
    Jeremy Duke
    Jerome Carty
    Joe Sanders
    John George
    Keith Pierce
    Kimberly Cooley
    Leonel Villarreal
    Louis Tang
    Mark Scheitzbach
    Marlene Barcelos
    Meyer Tanuan
    Michael Nowlin
    Neil Asnani
    Oliver Gr�ning
    Oliver Martinez
    Pat Wallace
    Patrick Kosiol
    Rajesh Kutty
    Roy Whitney
    Sergio Alfredo Jurado Vega
    Stephane Payet
    Stephen de Rusett
    Steve Kader
    Ting Yu (Simon) HSU
    Trevor Herrle-Braun
    William Archer
    Yesenia Berges
    Thanks back to those who ordered Passports with Elite coupon codes !
    This program was suggested by Elite members and was a first test, no doubt (IMHO, nothing official) we should see it happen again for another device !
    So stay tuned !
    03-19-15 07:07 AM
    OT

Thanks back to those who ordered Passports with Elite coupon codes !
    This program was suggested by Elite members and was a first test, no doubt (IMHO, nothing official) we should see it happen again for another device !
    So stay tuned !
    This is interesting. I would love to be a BlackBerry dealer.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 07:52 AM
    Maybe old news here, but I just saw that a book on BlackBerry is coming out this May. It's called Losing the Signal: The Untold Story Behind the Extraordinary Rise and Spectacular Fall of Blackberry, by Jacquie McNish and Sean Silcoff. Of course, it's important to acknowledge the past and learn from it -- but I would guess that John Chen, despite all that he and the amazing BBRY teams are doing, will have damage control to do here. He and they are good at it. The narrative has changed, the company has completely changed, BBRY's prospects have fundamentally changed. Nonetheless, fellow shareholders will probably want to know about this book and others that undoubtedly will follow.
    Corbu likes this.
    03-19-15 08:01 AM
    Maybe old news here, but I just saw that a book on BlackBerry is coming out this May. It's called Losing the Signal: The Untold Story Behind the Extraordinary Rise and Spectacular Fall of Blackberry, by Jacquie McNish and Sean Silcoff. Of course, it's important to acknowledge the past and learn from it -- but I would guess that John Chen, despite all that he and the amazing BBRY teams are doing, will have damage control to do here. He and they are good at it. The narrative has changed, the company has completely changed, BBRY's prospects have fundamentally changed. Nonetheless, fellow shareholders will probably want to know about this book and others that undoubtedly will follow.
    Why is it that this name "Jacquie McSquish" sounds like some kind of STD?
    jxnb, cjcampbell, 3MIKE and 9 others like this.
    03-19-15 08:14 AM
    Special insider event happening at the end of March.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150319_091902_edit.png
    03-19-15 08:20 AM
    OT: Ford/Microsoft announcement...another article

http://www.informationweek.com/strat...171c9ce176fc99

From the article we can get a sense of volume.

Of course, Ford has long used deidentified performance data about specific models and versions of vehicles to track potential performance and warranty issues. This sort of aggregated data could be useful to Ford and its dealer network on a public cloud. But no matter where data is stored, Microsoft is helping Ford with the filtering and analysis of the information, Butler said.

"Our Fusion electric vehicle generates 25 gigabytes of data per hour, so if we extracted it all in real time, we would soon run out of storage," Butler said. "There's clearly going to be some onboard processing as well as intelligent querying to make sure that we're getting data that makes sense."

The Ford Delivery Network will also support MyFord and MyLincoln mobile-connected services, such as remote starting, vehicle finder, and vehicle status indicators for fuel, electric-vehicle charge state, and tire pressure. These features are supported by onboard cellular modems, but Azure will support software updates with the same download approach.

In North America, where the*network will launch, Ford says it expects*to support more than 1.5 million Sync 3-equipped vehicles within the first year, plus tens of thousands of MyFord and MyLincoln-equipped vehicles. The rollout will extend to Europe and Asia starting in 2016, and will be worldwide well before 2020, according to Butler.

"We�re going to see hockey-stick-level growth, and Azure will allow us to quickly ramp up around the globe," he said.

Posted from my PassPort
    03-19-15 08:24 AM
113,256 ... 32713272327332743275 ...