View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Corbu,

After the commercial was aired, the Lincoln model experienced a 25% increase in sales. This according to MM.
    So I totally agree with you. It's a good template for BBRY to follow.

La E.
    Corbu, Mr BBRY, zyben and 5 others like this.
    03-15-15 08:07 PM
    Corbu,

After the commercial was aired, the Lincoln model experienced a 25% increase in sales. This according to MM.

La E.
    Thanks for the info, La E.!
    La Emperor likes this.
    03-15-15 08:17 PM
    This place isn't quite the same without our daily dose of Bunga banter.
    Corbu, sidhuk, La Emperor and 6 others like this.
    03-15-15 09:28 PM
    Corbu,

La E.
    I agree too. The only thing though is that Lincoln vs other cars - there is no glaring omission that you'd miss if you had bought a Lincoln, instead of some other car/suv. Whereas with smartphones, first thing consumers do is download popular apps. So, the advertising is unlikely to work for BlackBerry without a well stocked app store. Even Amazon App Store is unable to fill that void.

Some people believe and argue that way to get apps is to sign deal with the devil - run full Android using QNX hypervisor or something but I think that's not the best way. The BEST way to get apps on BlackBerry 10 is by selling a lot of BlackBerry 10 devices. And best way to do that is by capitalizing on existing BlackBerry userbase.

We still have tens of millions of users on BBOS/BB7 devices. They are used to NOT having apps as they have already been using BB7 devices. So, give them next to free upgrades. Let them turn-in BB7 device and exchange for a Z10, Z30, Q10, Q5, Passport, Z30 for ridiculously cheap price like $100 or whatever break-even price happens to be. That'd move several million devices per quarter.

If we got 20M BB 10 devices moved in a year, I am certain that it'd attract attention from lots of major app developers. Including Google. Google has Android and yet it develops apps for iPhone simply because iPhone moves a lot of devices every year. If BlackBerry could devote a few quarters to moving lot of BB10 devices by selling them at break-even or something, Google and others would have no choice but to develop apps for BB10.
    BanffMoose and La Emperor like this.
    03-15-15 11:44 PM
    Problem with that theory is your assuming price is the deciding factor. For many it's not. For some it's the apps, some the ecosystem, some the status, some just want what their friends have. If price was the deciding factor then Apple wouldn't sell a single iPhone.

The reason for getting or not getting a certain device is different for everyone. I think BlackBerry has right strategy (business oriented) but needs to advertise the heck out of it. Execs watch TV too. So put ads on TV. Then if other consumers see them and decide to try a BlackBerry ... bonus. There will be people who want something different. There are people who want what their bosses have. There are people who want to LOOK like a professional with all the best suits, shoes, belts, devices etc.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, bungaboy, Corbu and 1 others like this.
    03-16-15 12:22 AM
    Problem with that theory is your assuming price is the deciding factor. For many it's not. For some it's the apps, some the ecosystem, some the status, some just want what their friends have. If price was the deciding factor then Apple wouldn't sell a single iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    I am not talking about iPhone or Android users. I am talking about giving upgrades to existing BB7/BBOS owners. These people already don't care about apps as much. They currently have BlackBerry for whatever reason and would gladly upgrade to a newer BlackBerry if an upgrade option was made available at no-brainer price.

If they have a work-issued BlackBerry, their employer would be more than happy to upgrade their fleet of BB7/BBOS devices if it was possible to do so at a ridiculously low price (say, $150 per device if you turn in your BB7 device).

If it is their personal device and you told them, hey, you can upgrade to BB10 device for $150, most would take that offer. But if you ask them to spend like $400+ on a new smartphone, a lot of them are going to be like, hmm, let's get a phone that has lots of apps also - they are going to immediately start considering Androids and iPhones. But at $150 or similar price for BB to BB upgrade, they won't even think about it.

So, give them an upgrade to BlackBerry 10 option for a no-brainer price. Reward loyalty or whatever. Just move lots of BB10 devices and you'll see all kinds of apps will start to show up on BlackBerry world.

And once you have apps showing up in BlackBerry world, you can go ahead and start advertising right left center !!!
    rarsen likes this.
    03-16-15 01:16 AM
    I am not talking about iPhone or Android users. I am talking about giving upgrades to existing BB7/BBOS owners. These people already don't care about apps as much. They currently have BlackBerry for whatever reason and would gladly upgrade to a newer BlackBerry if an upgrade option was made available at no-brainer price.

If they have a work-issued BlackBerry, their employer would be more than happy to upgrade their fleet of BB7/BBOS devices if it was possible to do so at a ridiculously low price (say, $150 per device if you turn in your BB7 device).

If it is their personal device and you told them, hey, you can upgrade to BB10 device for $150, most would take that offer. But if you ask them to spend like $400+ on a new smartphone, a lot of them are going to be like, hmm, let's get a phone that has lots of apps also - they are going to immediately start considering Androids and iPhones. But at $150 or similar price for BB to BB upgrade, they won't even think about it.

So, give them an upgrade to BlackBerry 10 option for a no-brainer price. Reward loyalty or whatever. Just move lots of BB10 devices and you'll see all kinds of apps will start to show up on BlackBerry world.

And once you have apps showing up in BlackBerry world, you can go ahead and start advertising right left center !!!
    I understand you are talking about existing users. But my points still stand that those users can still switch to android or iPhone based on the points I mentioned.

Let's agree to disagree

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 02:51 AM
    Ahhhh. Monday. Let's see what kind of good news you will bring today...
    03-16-15 05:50 AM

You have made some good Points, but that would beat the purpose of the leap phone.
    03-16-15 06:09 AM
    If it was Apple, it would be good for a ten dollar move up. The deal between IBM and Apple helped it move about that much.
    But let's not forget this is Blackberry a Canadian company!
    Seems you are right. AAPL green and BBRY already -1.3 % in premarket, after the Secusmart presentation.
    It seems, no news, despite takeover, buyout or dramatically increase of revenue can move this stock up.
    Everything else is good enough for a rollercoaster, but that's it.
    And shiny AAPL is completely immune to whatever news. SP allways up.
    03-16-15 06:51 AM
    Seems you are right. AAPL green and BBRY already -1.3 % in premarket, after the Secusmart presentation.
    It seems, no news, despite takeover, buyout or dramatically increase of revenue can move this stock up.
    Apple have proven that they sell. That's why their SP is resilient. The iPhone 6 bent in people's pockets, but Apple smashed sales out of the park anyway. The truth is that their stock price is resilient for a reason.

Posted via CB10
    georg4BB likes this.
    03-16-15 06:55 AM
    About the Lincoln ads (Thanks Corbu !).
    While I fully agree that type of message would be good, please let's remind we're dealing with enterprises here.
    So, it'll be perfect addition to social media (YT, blog posts, LinkedIn, emailing campaigns) for "viral" purposes but shouldn't be broadcasted on TV channels for obvious cost & strategic reasons.
    So, let's keep the "app gap" and OS considerations apart, we have to engrave this in our mind : consumers won't be widely targeted for now.

This week will be interesting re- how WS will react to new IBM/Samsung/Secusmart partnership.

Have a nice Monday Gang !
    SF
    Corbu, bungaboy, 3MIKE and 5 others like this.
    03-16-15 07:10 AM
    OT: HALO

+0.30 (1.92%)
    Pre-market: 16.52 +0.59 (3.70%)
    Mar 16, 7:45AM EDT
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    03-16-15 07:16 AM
    If Blackberry was a USA company the price would be in the hundreds. Apple time will come, there is no escape from time itself.

Posted from the best phone in town, Blackberry Passport!
    03-16-15 07:56 AM
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/blackb...130000431.html

BlackBerry Care Protection Plan Gives Mobile Professionals Peace of Mind

New extended hardware service plan provides BlackBerry customers with up to two years of accidental damage protection and an extra year of mechanical and electrical breakdown coverage

...for customers in North America.

All the info here:
    http://ca.blackberry.com/support/bb-care-warranty.html
    Last edited by Corbu; 03-16-15 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Added BB.com link
    03-16-15 08:08 AM
    From yesterday...

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-mw-dh706_bbry_s_20150316074646_zh.jpg
    03-16-15 08:11 AM
    The BlackBerry Care Protection Plan is available to customers in the U.S. and Canada,** at a price of $3.49 USD ($4.25 CAD) per month for a BlackBerry Leap (upon in-market availability), $3.99 USD ($4.75 CAD) per month for a BlackBerry Classic, and $4.49 USD ($5.25 CAD) per month for a BlackBerry Passport. The BlackBerry Care Protection Plan will have an affordable deductible of only $49 for a BlackBerry Leap, $99 for a BlackBerry Classic and $129 for a BlackBerry Passport. For more information on the BlackBerry Care Protection Plan, go to www.BlackBerry.com/Care. The BlackBerry Care Protection Plan is provided and administered by Warrantech Corporation, an AmTrust Financial Company.

* Each approved claim is subject to a deductible and plan limits. The number of claims available under the BlackBerry Care Protection Plan depends on the options chosen and the timing of the claim.

** The BlackBerry Care Protection Plan is available to new BlackBerry Passport, Classic and Leap customers for the first 30 days after purchase. For a limited time, BlackBerry will also extend this plan to U.S. and Canadian customers who have purchased a BlackBerry Passport or Classic since November 23, 2014 and who sign up for the plan between March 16 and April 12, 2015.

For the Passport, $53.88 per year with a $129 deductible. This sounds like any other warranty plan administered by a third party warranty company. The fact that you have to buy it when the device is new means that there is some overlap between what you are purchasing and what should already be covered in the manufacturer's warranty of a new device.
    Last edited by kellyTKD; 03-16-15 at 08:38 AM.
    03-16-15 08:13 AM
    If Blackberry was a USA company the price would be in the hundreds.
    If Blackberry was a US company, it would have been bought by a Chinese or South Korean company already.

Apple time will come, there is no escape from time itself.
    For Apple, that time is most likely measured in decades. They're in the position now that Microsoft was 10 years ago, and Microsoft is still around and profitable.
    03-16-15 08:16 AM
    I agree too. The only thing though is that Lincoln vs other cars - there is no glaring omission that you'd miss if you had bought a Lincoln, instead of some other car/suv. Whereas with smartphones, first thing consumers do is download popular apps. So, the advertising is unlikely to work for BlackBerry without a well stocked app store. Even Amazon App Store is unable to fill that void.

Some people believe and argue that way to get apps is to sign deal with the devil - run full Android using QNX hypervisor or something but I think that's not the best way. The BEST way to get apps on BlackBerry 10 is by selling a lot of BlackBerry 10 devices. And best way to do that is by capitalizing on existing BlackBerry userbase.

We still have tens of millions of users on BBOS/BB7 devices. They are used to NOT having apps as they have already been using BB7 devices. So, give them next to free upgrades. Let them turn-in BB7 device and exchange for a Z10, Z30, Q10, Q5, Passport, Z30 for ridiculously cheap price like $100 or whatever break-even price happens to be. That'd move several million devices per quarter.

If we got 20M BB 10 devices moved in a year, I am certain that it'd attract attention from lots of major app developers. Including Google. Google has Android and yet it develops apps for iPhone simply because iPhone moves a lot of devices every year. If BlackBerry could devote a few quarters to moving lot of BB10 devices by selling them at break-even or something, Google and others would have no choice but to develop apps for BB10.
    I'm going to play counterpoint and point out that Windows phone sold 9.5 million devices in Microsoft's Q1 2015. Google is no where to be found on their phones nor does it seem likely. Microsoft is selling a $50 WP that's not terrible (the Lumia 635) expectations are they will continue to sell bigger numbers.

Remember the scale here. All time iOS devices sales are over 1 billion according to Cook at the last event. Android sold 1 billion devices last year. 20 million annual sales isn't going to get their attention IMHO.

And, running Android in anything, runtime/hypervisor assures you will not get Google Play and the Google apps.

I would not be suprised to see a Sammy Android with the BB suite of apps once Chen releases it. That might be as close to a BlackBerry Android as we come.
    awindsr likes this.
    03-16-15 08:26 AM
    If Blackberry was a US company, it would have been bought by a Chinese or South Korean company already.

For Apple, that time is most likely measured in decades. They're in the position now that Microsoft was 10 years ago, and Microsoft is still around and profitable.
    ???????????????????????
    03-16-15 08:30 AM
    I'm going to play counterpoint and point out that Windows phone sold 9.5 million devices in Microsoft's Q1 2015. Google is no where to be found on their phones nor does it seem likely. Microsoft is selling a $50 WP that's not terrible (the Lumia 635) expectations are they will continue to sell bigger numbers.
    Perhaps, but from Tomi Ahonen's blog:
    Communities Dominate Brands: Bizarre Stat of the Day: Microsoft (and Nokia) have only achieved 50M Lumia activations? Seriously? Out of 76M shipments? What happened to the other 26M? Seriously! Tossed into garbage by retail?

December 29, 2014
    Bizarre Stat of the Day: Microsoft (and Nokia) have only achieved 50M Lumia activations? Seriously? Out of 76M shipments? What happened to the other 26M? Seriously! Tossed into garbage by retail?

I am doing my catch-up reading after some heavy travel and found a truly bizarre stat from mid November. Microsoft proudly announced they had just passed 50 million cumulative Lumia activations. Yeah, that may sound like a big number until you remember Lumia has now existed as a product available for sale for 37 months and has achieved 76 million cumulative shipments through mid November. Yeah. I know. Thats a massive 26 million missing smartphones. Where the hell are they? What has happened. This was a true WTF moment for me on Twitter when I noticed that number and I had to go back and double-check my numbers through every Nokia and Microsoft quarterly release to verify my numbers. But yeah. 76 million cumulative shipments through mid-November (I have added the half-quarter sales estimate obviously, as we only have the quarterly data through end of September. The cumulative sales were at 70 million at the end of Q3).

<<TABLE SNIPPED>>

So wow. Even if we allow for a generous 4 week inventory build-up (Nokia historically reported about 3-4 weeks of inventory, this is at the high end of that historical pattern) it still means nearly 1 in 3 Lumia smartphones that shipped from Nokia/Microsoft was never activated !!!

<<SNIP>>

So now we know. Nokia shipped its 50 millionth Lumia smartphone to its retail channel in the first week of March 2014. Since then Nokia/Microsoft has shipped another 26 million more Lumia smartphones running Windows Phone. But they didn't achieve 50 million activations of Lumia until after the third week of November 2014. Thats pathetic. Lumia is the most disasterous smartphone series of all time. It is a dead phone shipping. Even those who receive it as a gift or as a freebie are apparently not bothered to activate it. Yes, even if we allow for large inventory buildup, an unprecedented 26 million smartphones running that hated Windows OS, yes a massive 30% of the Lumia branded devices have never been activated. What happened to them? Most probably were just thrown away by the retail channel as unsellable junk.
    I doubt corporate customers are stockpiling Windows Phones like the DoD did for BBOS phones.
    Last edited by BanffMoose; 03-16-15 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Added a line of commentary.
    bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    03-16-15 08:56 AM
    For the Passport, $53.88 per year with a $129 deductible. This sounds like any other warranty plan administered by a third party warranty company. The fact that you have to buy it when the device is new means that there is some overlap between what you are purchasing and what should already be covered in the manufacturer's warranty of a new device.
    You're missing the fact that this covers accidental damage, not just defects.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 09:13 AM
    !!! That's a nice 2K posts milestone for you Corbu !!!
    Cheers !
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-cheers.jpg
    03-16-15 09:15 AM
    Oh man, thanks SF!

Pink colored beer?

... to go with my long-term outlook on BBRY?
    03-16-15 09:26 AM

We still have tens of millions of users on BBOS/BB7 devices. They are used to NOT having apps as they have already been using BB7 devices. So, give them next to free upgrades. Let them turn-in BB7 device and exchange for a Z10, Z30, Q10, Q5, Passport, Z30 for ridiculously cheap price like $100 or whatever break-even price happens to be. That'd move several million devices per quarter.....
    [/B]
    True but actively working to reduce service revenue even faster might cause other trouble. At a Roegers store this week and saw 2 guys with 4 and 5 year old PKB BlackBerry phones. They saw my PP I said they said they love their phones pointed them to the Classic. Dont want to change!!!

Crazy

How about making phones that dont last 5 yrs!!!!!

Posted with my flash Passport
    03-16-15 09:41 AM
113,256 ... 32643265326632673268 ...