Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Jesus..why so much. Does the chip rlly cost that much

Posted via CB10
    ... I can't speak for Jesus, but I doubt he cares about this.

With regard to the chip, you are paying a premium for security.
    If the government will pay $30 for a pencil....
    03-15-15 02:25 AM
    Lewis and Nico won the 1st F1 race of the season in Australia !
    Another great performance for Mercedes AMG Petronas and exposure for BlackBerry !

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, 3MIKE, Corbu and 12 others like this.
    03-15-15 07:17 AM
    Yes indeed!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-sne19880.jpg

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-_w2q4889.jpg

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-f12015gp01aus_jk1673800.jpg
    bungaboy, rarsen, 3MIKE and 3 others like this.
    03-15-15 07:38 AM
    Yes indeed!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sne19880.jpg 
Views:	1371 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	341293

Name:	_w2q4889.jpg 
Views:	1373 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	341294

Name:	f12015gp01aus_jk1673800.jpg 
Views:	1373 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	341295
    Loving that BlackBerry logo ;-)

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 08:01 AM
    None-the-less, for BlackBerry, the story hasn't changed. They will always be better off with their own OS and their own hardware. They won't let themselves get into the position Samsung or Nokia got themselves into. In addition, their work on the PlayBook led to Car2 and BB10. Once people start to see Car2 in action as well as hear more of how QNX is in things like the solar airplane, the Neato vacuum, and BB10 gets rolled out, there may be a second chance at life after the Z10 & Q10.

If given enough time and no significant management screw ups, people will start to see the synergies that make BlackBerry a great company with a great future. Let's just hope they get their full chance to prove themselves. We'll be rewarded nicely. (oh, and let's hope no one buys BlackBerry out. I'd like BlackBerry to hit $100 as BBRY, not some other ticker.)

Posted via CB10
    I think everyone here echos that sentiment.
    No one can legitimately fully compare to a BlackBerry offering. It's the full meal deal. Bar none.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 09:37 AM
    The way I understand it is that this SecuSmart play with IBM and Sammy was in effect before BlackBerry bought SecuSmart. I think that predated the IBM/Apple partnership.
    Seems to be a simple business effort to push each players wares, and if anything, IBM was hedging against their Apple deal. Same goes with Samsung adding their tablet in the mix to blunt some of the IBM iPad momentum.

The funny thing is that Apple may not have saw that play coming.
    Now the oposition has the upper hand by means of higher security, and BlackBerry (ahem, SecuSmart) is in control of the security of both.

Just another step in the art of war....
    I've been enjoying the punch in the face to Apples enterprise plan, especially since their strategic partner (IBM) is a double agent.
    Get that into ya'!

Posted via CB10
    bspence87 and georg4BB like this.
    03-15-15 09:51 AM
    The way I understand it is that this SecuSmart play with IBM and Sammy was in effect before BlackBerry bought SecuSmart. I think that predated the IBM/Apple partnership.
    Seems to be a simple business effort to push each players wares, and if anything, IBM was hedging against their Apple deal. Same goes with Samsung adding their tablet in the mix to blunt some of the IBM iPad momentum.

The funny thing is that Apple may not have saw that play coming.
    Now the oposition has the upper hand by means of higher security, and BlackBerry (ahem, SecuSmart) is in control of the security of both.

Just another step in the art of war....
    Yes, I would agree but I feel I should add that the BlackBerry/SecuSmart deal didn't happen overnight either. The two first started working together shortly after the BB10 launch when the Snowden leaks surfaced. I would guess that, that proceeds the development of the Galaxy Tab.

Posted via CB10
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    03-15-15 10:59 AM
    Loving that BlackBerry logo ;-)

Posted via CB10
    +1000 ... and the "Classic" addition furthermore !!!
    03-15-15 11:33 AM
    After thinking about this tablet for the day, I find myself back to thinking about the Apple/IBM deal. This was earth-shattering news at the time, but not a peep since...

So what does IBM know? That they haven't had any success in selling iPads to enterprise? That corporations are constantly asking about security? That Apple tried another of their infamous screw-jobs on IBM and they didn't take too kindly?

Makes me wonder, who called who here? IBM called Samsung, Samsung said "call BlackBerry"? Or Samsung and BlackBerry said "we need a big name app developer!"?

In any case, the biggest news of the day for me is not the tablet, but the constant shake-ups and collaborations. We're in the middle of a revolution, and BlackBerry is right in the mix (but is Apple?). Seems everyone is finding their role, and accepting others' roles.

Posted via CB10
    bspence87 !!!

Great thoughts there, you and I are feeling something better than a tablet is upon us and Apple is on the outside looking in. They may not even care, the way the founding duo of BlackBerry didn't take much stock in Apple's iPhone many years ago. The fact that BlackBerry has successfully launched an enterprise product with two behemoths like IBM and Samsung makes you wonder were they might go next. The number of units they are able to sell of this tablet are indirectly proportional to the price. All they have to do is sell at a premium to Apple and scale the costs to higher production and they can make some money on this transformation towards security. This partnership is something that Apple should take notice of, but there is little they can do to stop the partnership possibilities if these three companies want to make it happen.
    03-15-15 11:40 AM
    Apologies if this has been posted already.

IBM - BlackBerry
    3MIKE, bungaboy and zyben like this.
    03-15-15 11:43 AM
    Redeye Empire killed it last night in Kelowna...what a night!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/49cdp5b5rs...dit_0.mp4?dl=0
    03-15-15 12:01 PM
    Apologies if this has been posted already.

IBM - BlackBerry
    What's the date on this? Is this new? Odd URL references RIM

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-15-15 12:05 PM
    Wouldn't be surprised if it would come as built in chip, one day. If it this secure?

Posted with BlackBerry Passport
    It may very well be the case. Do you think Apple would like to be left out of the party? Probably not. My speculating mind thinks IBM would do a similar arrangement with APPLE/Secusmart combo in the future. Because it may already have been in motion before BBRY swooped in and bought Secusmart.

This document proves that Secusmart are recruiting Software Developers back in June of 2014 for IOS devices. Whether that plan has been mothballed or not remains a question. Given that Secusmart continued their work with IBM/Samsung despite the change of ownership leads me to believe that they continued work with IOS devices, too. Remember Chen said he wants the four pillars to be autonomous and kinda independent. Secusmart is doing what it knows best. Securing all these devices! . It does not care whether it's from a competitors device or not, as long as they have a security play on all of them.

High Security. Made in Germany
    re looking
    for
    Mobile Platform
    Software Developer
    s
    (Android, iOS)
    (m/f)
    -
    D�sseldorf
    As a S
    oftware
    Developer, you will be working in our team of R&D professionals to design and develop secure solutions
    on top of a variety of
    mobile
    devices,
    primarily for
    Android
    or Apple/iOS
    operating systems.
    Mandatory Skills
    SW development
    �
    C++ (at
    least 3
    years)
    �
    Java (for Android) or Objective C (for iOS)
    (at least 3 years)
    �
    Object Oriented Programming (program according to given UML diagrams)
    �
    Revision/Version control (worked with a version control system)
    Language Skills
    �
    German and/or English
    Beneficial
    Skills
    SW development
    �
    C++ (advanced)
    �
    https://www.secusmart.com/fileadmin/...elopers_EN.pdf
    Last edited by La Emperor; 03-15-15 at 12:25 PM.
    Corbu, CDM76, Superfly_FR and 6 others like this.
    03-15-15 12:14 PM
    What's the date on this? Is this new? Odd URL references RIM

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    Not really sure, followed a link from another site. My first thought was that it may be old, but at least shows a history of collaboration. Decided to go the IBM site and found this more current info...

IBM mobile software for BlackBerry devices - United States
    03-15-15 12:21 PM
  15. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    bspence87 !!!

Great thoughts there, you and I are feeling something better than a tablet is upon us and Apple is on the outside looking in. They may not even care, the way the founding duo of BlackBerry didn't take much stock in Apple's iPhone many years ago. The fact that BlackBerry has successfully launched an enterprise product with two behemoths like IBM and Samsung makes you wonder were they might go next. The number of units they are able to sell of this tablet are indirectly proportional to the price. All they have to do is sell at a premium to Apple and scale the costs to higher production and they can make some money on this transformation towards security. This partnership is something that Apple should take notice of, but there is little they can do to stop the partnership possibilities if these three companies want to make it happen.
    Agreed!

Apple is on top in a dominant way... and their idea of partners is they win and take most of the profit and you lose and barely cover your costs ... they profit to the max... smart of other major players to collaborate to carve into the top dog.. and slowly they will!! History has always shown this... IBM, Microsoft, .... all at one period dominant like Apple....

These other major players realize that only through strategic partnerships and collaborative initiatives do they each have the best chance to succeed against a strong incumbent....

I expect to see much more in 2015 from BlackBerry ceo Chen.. and i like what I am seeing!

He is not giving up on BlackBerry devices.. no!... he just realizes he can't do it all alone...others (at BlackBerry) in the past have already tried that.... with minimal success. But BlackBerry holds some impressive credentials in security, software, etc, and they will build upon that strength to go after enterprise and government niches...and other areas where they can win!

I for one am very excited to see where this company will be, two years from now...

IOT...collaborative new innovative phones with Samsung...launching other devices in partnership with other big name partners... multiple revenue streams each growing and profitable...

Building on BlackBerry 's core strengths... away from commodity driven model...seeking win win long term profitable opportunities..

... Chen knows this is how they can grow and be a strong profitable business once again..its already happening... most just don't know it yet.. they still think BlackBerry is a pkb device company...

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 12:57 PM
    Very well said WT. You totally summed that up perfectly!!

Posted by my fabulous red Passport
    03-15-15 01:38 PM
    03-15-15 02:17 PM
    From the FP, with an interesting additional bit of info:
    BlackBerry to launch super-secure tablet aimed at businesses and governments | Financial Post

BlackBerry Ltd. is getting back into the tablet business.

Four years after launching its consumer-oriented PlayBook tablet to lukewarm market reception, the Waterloo, Ont.-based company has unveiled a new, high-security tablet aimed at businesses and governments.

A BlackBerry subsidiary, Dusseldorf-based Secusmart GmbH, presented its SecuTablet, which was jointly developed with International Business Machines Corp. and Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., at a tech conference in Hannover, Germany during the weekend.

“Security is ingrained in every part of BlackBerry’s portfolio, which includes voice and data encryption solutions,” Secusmart CEO Hans-Christoph Quelle said in a press release. “This same technology is what secures the new SecuTABLET.”

The new product shows a change in strategy for BlackBerry under CEO John Chen, who was hired as the company’s top executive in November 2013. A few months earlier, in April 2013, the company’s previous boss, Thorstein Heins, predicted that tablets would soon be irrelevant, and told Bloomberg that “tablets themselves are not a good business model.” The original PlayBook was eventually discontinued.

BlackBerry has also been rumoured to be working on a consumer-oriented tablet, a PlayBook 2, which would mark a more direct re-entry into the tablet market.

The new tablet, which will retail for about US$2,380 each and could be ready by this summer, is based on Samsung’s Galaxy Tab 10.5 and, according to the press release, provides secure, mobile access to sensitive data, like budgeting and financial information, as required by governments and public companies.

Stefan Hefter, senior management consultant with IBM, said the new product “closes a supply gap” for government administrators in need of a secure tablet. “The technology used to make mobile apps secure by means of so-called wrapping has already proven its worth in the United States.”

Samsung and BlackBerry have been increasingly willing to work with one another in recent months. This month Samsung agreed to use BlackBerry’s anti-eavesdropping software on the South Korean company’s smartphones.

Samsung has been rumoured to be a potential BlackBerry acquirer for months.

In January, the Financial Post reported that New York-based Evercore Partners had advised Samsung on its pursuit of BlackBerry as a potential takeover target, going so far as to detail the possible structure of a deal.

BlackBerry did not respond to a request for comment over the weekend.

Mr. Quelle told PC World that his company had begun working on the SecuTABLET “long before BlackBerry acquired Secusmart.” The tablet is still awaiting certification from the German Federal Office for Information Security.

BlackBerry, which has struggled in recent years to grow its market share, has also begun working with Google Inc. to secure its Android smartphone devices. The strategy has been well received by the market and now 9 of 17 analysts surveyed by Bloomberg rate the company’s stock as a buy.

Richmond Hill, Ont.-based Canso Investment Counsel Ltd. became BlackBerry’s third-largest shareholder this week, when it converted $300 million of the company’s debt into stock.
    03-15-15 02:39 PM
    Voting time, who thinks this new will move the stock monday and by how much. I personally don't see it moving it to much if at all. Ppl are waiting for er and waiting to see some rev.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 04:12 PM
    If it was Apple, it would be good for a ten dollar move up. The deal between IBM and Apple helped it move about that much.

But let's not forget this is Blackberry a Canadian company!
    CDM76, 3MIKE, Superfly_FR and 2 others like this.
    03-15-15 04:21 PM
    Voting time, who thinks this new will move the stock monday and by how much. I personally don't see it moving it to much if at all. Ppl are waiting for er and waiting to see some rev.

Posted via CB10
    I think it will give it a little headstart on the pre-earnings run-up. This combined with a correction for the ridiculously cheap price right now should get us rolling along.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag and 3MIKE like this.
    03-15-15 04:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    Don't shoot me....but, (yeah, a but), IMO we need several of these "in collaboration " events, a couple more quarters of positive cash flow AND earning momentum.

When (not if) we get there this stock will climb as long as the earning and cash flow climb.

I have been an ardent supporter for a few years now and can't wait to see how the future unfolds.

Classically Posted.
    Corbu, rarsen, CDM76 and 10 others like this.
    03-15-15 05:06 PM
    Seems to me we are at aprox 2.5 million a quarter Dimi. May be wrong as just going from memory.

Classically Posted.
    Thanks Shane!! I think the number is much lower actually, about 1.3 to 1.5 million BB10 devices each quarter. What I was trying to figure out, is to get an idea of the company BlackBerry will be until they ultimately get a strong position in the IoT. Will JC succeed if they continue to only sell 6 million BB10 devices per year, given we already know their projected SAF, BES12 and BBM revenue? Would they need to undergo additional restructuring, or is there enough R&D / marketing costs left to cut? Perhaps a IP license deal could help?

And last but not least, if JC expects to start growing revenue again.. will we hit the bottom this quarter, or could we be looking at Q3/Q4 FY2016? Unless the passport, classic and leap are selling really well, I wonder how he expects to grow revenue?! We know it's not going to come from software/BBM (additional 350 million vs. greater downside in SAF revenue)

So something is 'up'.. I don't know what it is. But I've been a supporter for years and will continue to be regardless of this quarters results. But imho, I don't expect JC to tell us the bottom is in. If he does, I will eat my shoe and enjoy it too!

It rhymes..

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE, lech31, Corbu and 8 others like this.
    03-15-15 05:34 PM
    Rhymes are good

Classically Posted.
    bungaboy and zyben like this.
    03-15-15 05:45 PM
    OT:
    Now, this is completely OT given that we have recently been discussing the SecuTABLET, the forthcoming ER, etc.

We all know that BlackBerry is trying to rebuild its business with entreprise, software, etc. and that the "consumer" marketing budget seems to have been severally pulled back given that this part of the business has taken a back seat. That is fine. It could also be argued that BlackBerry is going back to its roots, with security, services, the NOCs, etc.

As you may know, Lincoln has suffered a great deal over the years to the point where the new CEO of Ford had to convince his board that it was worth saving.

I was recently watching the series of commercials that Lincoln has come up, in an effort to restore some of its luster. They have made a series of five or so of those commercials featuring Matthew McConaughey. I personally think they are extremely well done: stylish and efficient. I was also struck by the fact that the "message" was to a certain extent similar to the one that BlackBerry might want to try to convey, eventually. In any event, I may be off base but if I were running an ad agency, I would show them to JC as an illustration of what we would want to do to help restore BlackBerry's image and convey an idea of what its future might be.

Here are three of them, for those of you who have never seen them:

Even the narrative isn't that way off... In some instances, you could substitute "BlackBerry" for "Lincoln" and the message would fit.

My intent is not to get a whole debate started. Just thought I would share what crossed my mind.

Thanks and have a good week everyone!

Edit: Did some more research and discovered, for you film buffs out there, that the spots were directed by Nicolas Winding Refn, of Drive fame... Good narrative, good copywriting, good director = great result
    http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/matthe...coln-ad-159886
    Last edited by Corbu; 03-15-15 at 09:13 PM.
    03-15-15 07:08 PM
113,256 ... 32633264326532663267 ...