View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    You are in fact right, Munx is a little biased here, thinks short interest can only go up without considering the current market at that time, or call/put options etc.. He needs to think outside the box. It is literally impossible to claim that short interest should have gone up therefore they didn't hedge. That's silly talk.
    No bias. Well not entirely true. I am swinging big money long.

Certainly no rose colored glasses and willing to consider all reasoned opinion. In this case however, the data is clear: no material short interest re the convert.

Posted via CB10
    laketrout73 likes this.
    03-12-15 11:26 PM
    No bias. Well not entirely true. I am swinging big money long.

Certainly no rose colored glasses and willing to consider all reasoned opinion. In this case however, the data is clear: no material short interest re the convert.

Posted via CB10
    all good insights and well needed for this forum. If we are all long, let's go with another "theory": Chen's confidence is because he will deliver a big beat on March 27th and great guidance for the next Q.
    03-12-15 11:48 PM
    Thanks BM. Just for the record, that interview is from November 14, 2014.
    Doh!

I hate when that happens!

Cheers mate!
    Soumaila Somtore, zyben and Corbu like this.
    03-12-15 11:49 PM
    See if you can resist reading this without screaming "BlackBerry!" at least twice.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/12/d...get+(Engadget)

We need a spin-off thread named 'potential partners of BlackBerry'.
    03-12-15 11:55 PM
    Droidberry dangles: Why the BlackBerry-Samsung alliance is big potatoes ? The Register

There’s something about BlackBerry that even its biggest fans can forget. BlackBerry has never been a phone company – it has always been a network company. For over thirty years, BlackBerry has done clever things to and with networks. It brought efficient data management, security and intelligence to mobile packet networks – very useful services.

It’s easy to forget that when you look at the RIM/BlackBerry history, it didn’t make a phone until it was 17 years old.

Last week BlackBerry and Samsung announced a number of small news items that added up to something quite big. No wonder, then, that this week BlackBerry sites have been awash with rumours that and speculation that BlackBerry will create a “hardened” Android, perhaps with Samsung’s help – or even that Samsung will acquire the Canadian mobile granddaddy.

“It seems like every time we get the press together, we talk about Samsung a lot,” John Chen noted last week. But that’s going to happen when you announce a major strategic alliance and then flash a phone around that looks a lot like a Samsung phone.

Let’s refrain from speculation and focus on what has been agreed – because this has not been given the attention it deserves, and it has quite sweeping implications for Microsoft and Google.

Who gains what from Samsung and BlackBerry’s collaboration?

For its part, Samsung is keen to consolidate itself as an enterprise company in hardware software and services. Samsung’s determination to control its own destiny is evident in its long-term commitment to its own “unifying” platform Tizen.

The trouble is, Google doesn’t like OEMs getting what it considers to be ideas above their station: Google wants to control the platform. As we saw with Silver, Mountain View doesn’t care if the OEM brand, built up over years and using tens of billions of dollars, is reduced to a small label on the back of the phone. Samsung found itself rebuffed when it tried to introduce a new UI, and its grand roadmap for Knox took a knock when Google announced Android for Work last June. Knox would be a container, but Google would control the platform at the lowest level.

Meanwhile, after a lucrative decade in which it could package its network smarts into a consumer product and sell it in the millions, for a high margin, BlackBerry is back to looking at adding value to network services, which is really something it’s been doing consistently for thirty years.

The Samsung/BlackBerry alliance has enormous potential, for two reasons. It’s addressing a gap in the market vacated by Microsoft that Google hasn’t got the chops to fulfil, and it’s addressing it in an unusual and interesting way.

Bye bye enterprises, we want consumers ... oh

A few years ago, Microsoft tore up its mobile enterprise strategy in favour of chasing the consumer (and Apple), with Windows Phone, and a radically “Tablet-ized Windows” makeover. Windows phones are only now just getting back features (like VPN support) which they had in 2008. And it has (to be charitable) only been a partial success: Microsoft today enjoys a fraction of the market share that WM enjoyed then. In 2007, Microsoft enjoyed 42 per cent market share in the USA. What success Microsoft has enjoyed is predominantly in low cost emerging consumer markets. Not enterprises.

So Microsoft, surprisingly, isn’t providing the kind of first-class experience for Microsoft customers that it could. For example, Microsoft has 400 million Exchange users, and many of them “live in Outlook”. Outlook has rich and complex task management, used by many of those 400 million paying punters. You could consider that an asset – and expect Microsoft’s mobile platforms to take unique advantage of it. Yet the opposite is true.

If you’re an Exchange-using enterprise, you only get a second-rate experience out of the box on Microsoft’s mobile platforms. Windows Phone 8.1 vomits all your Tasks and all your Notes into one long alphabetical list, hidden away in the Calendar app, with all the valuable metadata like Categories removed. How is this “leveraging our advantage on Desktop?” It isn’t. You get a better Exchange experience using dedicated third-party apps such as Tasks and Notes for Exchange (on Android), or PlanBe for iOS, to name two.

Microsoft recently splashed out $200m on a calendar and email apps for Android and iOS – but these aren’t “best of breed” and they don’t address the shortcomings of Windows Phone. Sunrise and Acompli just happened to be for sale, and Microsoft needed them fast. (Acompli looks like a startup designed to be acquired by Microsoft. Clever guys).

So Microsoft took its eye off the ball. And Google is a sprawling consumer data processing company with a core advertising business, not a credible enterprise player. Google’s data handling gives enterprises grave concerns – I hear it particularly often from financial services companies, who wonder just who is looking at their hosted Gmail. This is not to say with focus and resources, Google won’t become an enterprise player: it just isn’t one today.

Which leaves the Samsung/BlackBerry alliance looking to fill a vacuum.

Networks ahoy

The other factor that makes the alliance interesting is the network. BlackBerry’s NOCs are its secret weapon, adding intelligence and security to the network and allowing secure and sophisticated services to be put on top. Neither Microsoft, nor Google can match this today. The alliance proposition requires various pieces to be in place: a secure endpoint, a managed network, and nice UX design, but all come together in something like BBM Meetings.

This makes rival conferencing look cumbersome and BlackBerry is flogging it for $12 per host per month – a steal. It now plugs right into Outlook, just like Lync. And as you can see from this dialogue box, with simplicity and auto-join, BBM Meetings is much nicer to use.

BBM Meetings was included in one of two bundles BlackBerry announced last year. A third bundle was announced last week. This bundle, which includes pretty much everything that differentiates a modern BlackBerry client device, will be up for licensing. Whether or not Samsung and BlackBerry are jointly creating “DroidBerries” (they might well be collaborating on design, as the as-yet-unnamed, curved glass slider BlackBerry suggests) or not is rather beside the point; a “DroidBerry” will be available for anyone who wants to make one – and it will use Knox and BlackBerry licensed technology. It’s a stealth platform if you like, made quite unique by its use of BlackBerry's NOC.

Interestingly, BlackBerry’s services chief Billy Ho told me that BlackBerry hasn’t decided whether to charge for the client bundle yet – so who gets this platform may not have been decided.

This week Goldman Sachs downgraded BlackBerry shares to "sell" on the basis that competition in MDM (Mobile Device Management) would be tough. But BlackBerry already regards MDM as a commodity, and sees the future in value added services, built on its network. Goldman Sachs seems to have missed the significance of the alliance completely. Of course, BlackBerry has to execute very well.

The alliance is a clear signal to Microsoft: don’t neglect your core base.
    03-13-15 06:55 AM
    OT:
    Microsoft?s Siri rival to be available on Android, Apple devices - The Globe and Mail

Microsoft has been running its “personal assistant” Cortana on its Windows phones for a year, and will put the new version on the desktop with the arrival of Windows 10 this autumn. Later, Cortana will be available as a standalone app, usable on phones and tablets powered by Apple Inc’s iOS and Google Inc’s Android, people familiar with the project said.

[...]

They represent a new front in CEO Satya Nadella’s battle to sell Microsoft software on any device or platform, rather than trying to force customers to use Windows. Success on rivals’ platforms could create new markets and greater relevance for the company best known for its decades-old operating system.
    jxnb, kadakn01, awindsr and 8 others like this.
    03-13-15 08:08 AM
    Excuse my poor knowledge on the subject, but surely if they held a short position to hedge their bonds, they would cancel the return as they would need to pay a 10 per cent to hold the short position?

Have I got the wrong end of this?

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 09:38 AM
    Excuse my poor knowledge on the subject, but surely if they held a short position to hedge their bonds, they would cancel the return as they would need to pay a 10 per cent to hold the short position?

Have I got the wrong end of this?

Posted via CB10
    The charges for shorting stock can be a little as nothing, it depends on the source of the shares, for instance, Prem could hedge stock all day because his various accounts hold BBRY thus allowing him to borrow for free.

Here is a naked short comment:
    Naked Short Selling

A "naked" short sale, refers to a short sale in which the seller makes the deal without ever having access to the securities to begin with. In a traditional Short sale, the buyer will borrow the securities. When no securities are available the naked short-seller will show that a sale has taken place even though nothing has actually been exchanged.

Until the short-seller has bonds to deliver, the buyer doesn't have to pay. But by showing that a sale has taken place even though the goods haven't actually been transferred, a naked short-sale artificially drives a stock's price down to a level that's not reflective of true supply and demand
    If you naked short stock and know you have convertible bonds coming, no charge.

You could naked short the stock knowing you are receiving a bond issue. Now no one would be shorting BBRY stock with a convertible bond exercise price of $ 10.00 unless the current price of the stock is above $ 10.00, makes no sense. So you then have to look at other derivatives to apply the short position, i.e. stock options to obtain the $ 10.00 equivalent of the exercise price. In all my years of shorting stock, I have never paid a service charge. If you go back to the stock chart for BBRY, and look at the times the stock traded above $ 10.00/shr, and the resulting volume, you can easily see how they could have put on a large short position using stock, calls and puts.
    03-13-15 10:32 AM
    The charges for shorting stock can be a little as nothing, it depends on the source of the shares, for instance, Prem could hedge stock all day because his various accounts hold BBRY thus allowing him to borrow for free.

Here is a naked short comment:
    Naked Short Selling

[I]A "naked" short sale, refers to a short sale in which the seller makes the...

Thanks again M8.
    How do you predict that the SP will react to tomorrow's event with some sort of new announcement with Samsung and/or IBM?
    03-13-15 11:07 AM
    About tomorrow's press conference at CeBIT:
    https://www.secusmart.com/en/press/p...al-innovation/

The bold is theirs, the color is mine!

Secusmart to unveil the global innovation with IBM and Samsung

This year, Secusmart is giving members of the press the chance to be the first to find out about an exciting new innovation at a press conference to be held on Saturday 14 March in the run-up to CeBIT 2015.

At Stand J16 in Hall 6, journalists will have the opportunity to attend a presentation unveiling the new device for highly secure mobile communication. The new solution has been developed by Secusmart in collaboration with IBM and Samsung.

When?
    Saturday 14 March 2015 at 4:30pm.

Secusmart CEO Dr Hans-Christoph Quelle and Swenja Kremer will be available to meet visitors at Stand J16 in Hall 6 from 3:00pm and following the Press Conference.

Where?
    Secusmart GmbH’s exhibition stand in Hall 6, Stand J16.

“Schl�ssel-Alt” beer brewed in D�sseldorf and typical Rhineland delicacies will be served at the start of the event.

How?
    An exclusive bus transfer shortly before 4:30pm will take guests from Hall 16 (Hall 16, CODE_n) directly to Secusmart’s booth, Hall 6, J16.

What?
    Together with IBM and Samsung, Secusmart is announcing a world first in the area of highly secure mobile communication.

To ensure that we have enough demonstration devices available, attendees are required to reserve their place.

Please register your attendance by email or by giving us a call (swenja.kremer(at)secusmart(dot)com, mobile: + 49 (0)151-54360563 or presse(at)secusmart(dot)com).

We look forward to seeing you there!
    03-13-15 11:23 AM
    I like how they stress the stand will be open after giving out beer at the door.

Now you know that this is in Germany.
    bspence87, Corbu, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    03-13-15 11:54 AM
    Thanks again M8.
    How do you predict that the SP will react to tomorrow's event with some sort of new announcement with Samsung and/or IBM?
    I can't imagine we'll see any action in the SP unless they announce something accretive to the bottom line for BB. You and I will be looking at the hardware but the bigger picture will be how deep this partnership is. You can imagine the potential for BB here. Can't wait. Oh yeah, I want to place a huge trade on BBRY next week so I want the stock to be down a bit from here, around $ 9.65/shr when I do that trade so I'm slightly biased here! GL
    03-13-15 11:57 AM
    I like how they stress the stand will be open after giving out beer at the door.

Now you know that this is in Germany.
    Is it too late to sign up? How long does it take to fly to Germany?

Seriously though, they did say demonstration devices. Can't wait!

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 12:28 PM
    I can't imagine we'll see any action in the SP unless they announce something accretive to the bottom line for BB. You and I will be looking at the hardware but the bigger picture will be how deep this partnership is. You can imagine the potential for BB here. Can't wait. Oh yeah, I want to place a huge trade on BBRY next week so I want the stock to be down a bit from here, around $ 9.65/shr when I do that trade so I'm slightly biased here! GL
    Sure. As long as PSDV turns and shows some gains. Need to sell my entire investment in them. Asap

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 01:19 PM
    03-13-15 01:20 PM
    Sure. As long as PSDV turns and shows some gains. Need to sell my entire investment in them. Asap

Posted via CB10
    Sorry to hear you have to get out of PSDV, you need to hold it into Q3 2015, that's when their revenues will show how well their American launch is doing. It will go back to $ 4.40 + when the DOW Jones finds its footings again (below the 50-dma today) but not much higher until Q3 which is in early May I believe. I will buy more of that one in April.
    03-13-15 02:25 PM
    By the way, Morgan, since you just mentioned PSDV, I thought I should thank you for TGTX for which you had given us some information a while back, which has been doing pretty well and is having a very good day in a sea of red... So, big thanks!
    03-13-15 02:40 PM
    OT from the Related Technologies and Security files, of interest are the OS and main Applications table::

Mac OS X is the most vulnerable OS, claims security firm; Debate ensues | ZDNet

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-2015-02-2512-06-01.jpg
    03-13-15 02:47 PM
    By the way, Morgan, since you just mentioned PSDV, I thought I should thank you for TGTX for which you had given us some information a while back, which has been doing pretty well and is having a very good day in a sea of red... So, big thanks!
    Well I don't know what we would do on this thread without you so I'm glad to hear you are branching out and making money. I wouldn't sell TGTX just yet, I see it in the low $ 20.00's in this biotech cycle and of course everyone holding HALO should hang in there as they are the mirror image of ACAD only 10 months behind them. I really like PSDV too, these are core stocks to hold. I'm going to make an even bigger move on our very own BBRY starting next week, prior to earnings. This is a great time of the year to be in stocks even though the DOW Jones is having some indigestion today. GL and thanks for all of your efforts on this thread!
    03-13-15 02:56 PM
    "Well I don't know what we would do on this thread without you..."

Too kind. Allow me to return the compliment, x 10!
    03-13-15 03:02 PM
    Well I don't know what we would do on this thread without you so I'm glad to hear you are branching out and making money. I wouldn't sell TGTX just yet, I see it in the low $ 20.00's in this biotech cycle and of course everyone holding HALO should hang in there as they are the mirror image of ACAD only 10 months behind them. I really like PSDV too, these are core stocks to hold. I'm going to make an even bigger move on our very own BBRY starting next week, prior to earnings. This is a great time of the year to be in stocks even though the DOW Jones is having some indigestion today. GL and thanks for all of your efforts on this thread!
    I was just reading more on HALO Today to see when I should make my move on it and was thinking about a 6 month plan for my position there. Good to see I was on the right track for a change lol

Posted via crackberry10 on my new Z30!
    03-13-15 03:08 PM
    Brother!!! What do you expect from THLD? Price target?
    take99, sidhuk and Corbu like this.
    03-13-15 03:38 PM
    what's up with HALO ah? weird.....

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-halo.jpg
    03-13-15 03:38 PM
    BlackBerry has no fix for FREAK in BES, BB 10 and BBM - CSO
    Yes they have. OTA near you soon ... or : http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...1/index12.html
    03-13-15 03:52 PM
    14 days to go ... that's a snap.
    Warming up for the biggest beer thirsty for a while
    I mean: can you feel all these moving checkers ?
    I feel a 4 strikes ahead strategy and the next two weeks may be very surprising ...

but that's just me, maybe ?

nite gang !

P.S: I've been out of thanks pretty quick, you guys are awesome !!!
    So here's one global for ya'll
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-thanks.jpg
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-ob_8a37a6_tumblr-m4lskc1l7q1rqa07ko2-500.gif
    morganplus8, jxnb, lech31 and 10 others like this.
    03-13-15 04:02 PM
113,256 ... 32593260326132623263 ...