View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Blackberry did a fantastic job with the 10.3.1. TAT is still working hard wow!!

Check out the power point demo. Swipe left for the demo slides.

Attachment 337874

Posted via CB10
    Can you tell me where you found that? I'd like to check it out. Thanks.

Sent from my awesome Z30
    03-01-15 12:38 PM
    Folks, its a Sunday okay...what are we all doing perusing this thread.
    03-01-15 12:41 PM
    Samsung and BlackBerry Bring Enterprise Services to KNOX and the New Samsung Galaxy S6

Samsung Business Services to offer BlackBerry enterprise products and services

SecuSUITE for Samsung KNOX will be available in the fall 2015. Pricing details will be announced at availability.
    interesting... was wondering if BB was going to hold on to this feature for their own devices as a competitive advantage. Is this the beginning of the end for their handsets? Seems like all their security features can be transitioned over to any device (which is good).

Unless their handsets have that additional layer of security for the ultimate secure package ?
    CDM76, sidhuk, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    03-01-15 12:47 PM
    interesting... was wondering if BB was going to hold on to this feature for their own devices as a competitive advantage. Is this the beginning of the end for their handsets? Seems like all their security features can be transitioned over to any device (which is good).

Unless their handsets have that additional layer of security for the ultimate secure package ?
    I'm really hoping we see a dual os phone with multi virtual sim

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 12:51 PM
    On the QNX front, some upcoming events lined up. ( Was gonna post this earlier but got sidetracked by the influx of news..)

Events Schedule
    03-01-15 12:52 PM
    Short video introducing the BlackBerry Experience Suite:

jxnb, rarsen, morganplus8 and 4 others like this.
    03-01-15 12:58 PM
    I'm really hoping we see a dual os phone with multi virtual sim

Posted via CB10
    That would be interesting now that QNX has been showing their hypervisor stuff, but where would a dual OS phone be appreciated?
    would enterprise care or need for it? would the consumer market pick up on it?

Mind blowing tech...but ...what value add would there be to this type of phone ?

(typing/thinking out loud)
    03-01-15 12:58 PM
    BlackBerry to broaden its cross-platform strategy | Reuters

(Reuters) - BlackBerry announced on Sunday that it plans to expand its cross-platform strategy and deliver its often admired security, productivity and communication tools to any smartphone or tablet device running iOS, Android or Windows.

The one-time smartphone sector pioneer's devices have waned in popularity in recent years, but in a bid to remain relevant, the Waterloo, Ontario-based company is pivoting to focus more on its software business and core strengths like security that won it recognition over the last decade.

In the last 18 months the company has revamped its mobile device management system to allow clients like government agencies and large corporations to also manage and secure phones and tablets powered by Apple's iOS system, Google Inc's Android platform and Microsoft Corp's Windows operating system using its BES12 platform.

It has also opened up its popular BlackBerry Messaging app to those using iOS, Android and Windows devices.

At the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, the company said it plans to take this cross-platform strategy a step further and bring the entire BlackBerry experience, including features like the much admired BlackBerry Hub and its virtual keyboard across to devices powered by rivals.

"This is just a very natural evolution of taking our OS, the surfaces and security layers around it and putting it on others' devices, so that our serviceable market is not only 'BlackBerry' devices, but all devices," said BlackBerry Chief Executive John Chen on a conference call with media, adding these features will likely be available on other devices toward the end of the year.

Chen stressed that BlackBerry is still committed to its own devices business, and the company is widely expected to unveil at least one new device and provide detail on its device roadmap at the Barcelona congress on Tuesday.

"I intend to continue to build a hardware business" he said. "But there will be a lot of focus on the software business too."

Separately, BlackBerry announced that it is expanding its partnership with Samsung Electronics, by making its WorkLife and SecuSuite features available on Samsung phones. The WorkLife feature splits work and personal voice and data costs on a device between employers and employees, while the SecuSuite package offers enhanced encryption on voice and data services.

BlackBerry had announced partnerships with Samsung and other high-profile tech players in November.
    zyben, jxnb, lech31 and 9 others like this.
    03-01-15 01:00 PM
    BlackBerry wants to bring its secret sauce to iPhone, Android - CNET

BARCELONA -- BlackBerry, best known for its trademark keyboard-equipped smartphones, wants to break out of its own shell.

The niche device manufacturer on Sunday unveiled its plans to create a "BlackBerry Enterprise Suite," taking BlackBerry features like its Hub messaging portal, virtual keyboard and security capabilities -- among others -- and turning them into a collection of apps and features that will be made available to iPhones, iPads and devices running on the Android and Windows operating systems. The apps will come later this year.

The move is part of a larger shift by BlackBerry toward the more lucrative software and services business. It also signals a willingness to embrace operating systems it previously would have considered a competitive threat. That philosophy is likely encouraged by its struggle to maintain relevancy in the smartphone business -- the BlackBerry operating system ceded even more market share in 2014, falling to 0.4 percent of the market, according to IDC.

"I look at all the assets we have, from the user interface to security -- there was really a hidden gem to build a good book of business," CEO John Chen said on a media conference call.

Samsung and BlackBerry

The latest example of its new cross-platform attitude: an updated announcement on its partnership with Samsung and the Knox security platform. BlackBerry said on Sunday that it would bring two new business-class services to Knox: WorkLife, a feature that allows businesses to split their employees' Samsung phones into separate work and personal identities through a "virtual SIM," making it easier to bill for work use; and the SecuSUITE encryption software that Blackberry gained from its acquisition of Secusmart last year.

As part of the deal, BlackBerry will sell the Knox services to Samsung customers. Likewise, Samsung will sell BlackBerry products and services through Samsung Business Services, a portal that the world's largest cell phone maker has set up for its business clients.

"With the introduction of these new services from BlackBerry, the needs of both enterprises and their employees will be met with Samsung Knox devices," said Injong Rhee, executive vice president of Samsung's mobile and IT enterprise business, in a statement.

While Samsung dominates the smartphone world, its reputation in the business world lags behind even BlackBerry's -- particularly in the heavily regulated industries it wants to target with Knox. That's where BlackBerry comes in.

"We have a common customer, and we're the gold standard in security," said Billy Ho, executive vice president of BlackBerry's enterprise business. "They can use our brand."

A new cross-platform world

Though BlackBerry has historically used its software features as an advantage on its own hardware, it's coming to a realization that it may have more of a presence if it takes its software to more people.

"As hardware shrinks, there's a bigger opportunity to make software and package it cross platform," Chen said. "So our serviceable market won't just be on BlackBerry, but other devices."

BlackBerry has already moved to work with other operating systems. The company released its popular BBM messenger service to Android and iOS in 2013, and its BES12 system manages BlackBerry, Android, iOS and Windows Phone devices.

The BlackBerry Experience Suite will include three categories: productivity; communication and collaboration; and security. The features will include its Hub portal for seeing all e-mails, messages and social updates; software power-management tricks; the ability to view and edit documents across devices seamlessly; and security enhancements to protect personal files and to guard against malware and data theft.

The apps will likely look and feel the same across different platforms, but Chen acknowledged that there would be some difficulties in getting the security aspects into Apple's iOS operating system, since there is limited access to parts of the platform.

Still a devices company

BlackBerry's recent moves shouldn't be taken as an indication that the company has given up on the hardware business.

"You should not assume that we are less interested in devices," Chen said.

BlackBerry is scheduled to hold a press conference at the Mobile World Congress trade show on Tuesday, where Chen has promised to lay out the company's roadmap for the year's products.

Though Chen himself has a background running software businesses, he said it would take years before BlackBerry's software assets would catch up to the hardware side. Roughly three-quarters of its revenue still comes from the hardware business, and Chen said he intends to keep focusing on that part of the company.

Chen reiterated his target of generating $500 million from the software business in fiscal 2016. The company is expected to post revenue of $3.27 billion in that period.

"It's a gradual process, not a onetime thing," Chen said about the software side. "All of these things are the ground to get more focused."
    jxnb, sidhuk, Superfly_FR and 10 others like this.
    03-01-15 01:01 PM
    Software and Services have always eclipsed hardware sales. Having worked in the IT industry most of my life I have seen this time and time again. JC is the perfect CEO for BlackBerry.

Posted by my fabulous Passport
    CDM76, Corbu, La Emperor and 10 others like this.
    03-01-15 01:02 PM
    you are right ! time to go.

back to the J&B rare...

The week coming up should be a good one for BB stock !
    03-01-15 01:02 PM
    BlackBerry, Samsung Expand Partnership - WSJ

TORONTO— BlackBerry Ltd. said Sunday that a partnership with South Korean phone giant Samsung Electronics Co. to win more enterprise customers is expanding to include Samsung’s integration of BlackBerry encryption and mobile-billing technologies into its Knox security platform.

The BlackBerry software enables a user to have both a work and personal phone number on the same phone. The combined offering will make it easier for companies to ensure they pay only for an employee’s work-related calls, text and data usage on Samsung phones installed with Knox.

BlackBerry also said Samsung will incorporate BlackBerry’s anti-eavesdropping mobile-encryption technology into Knox-enabled phones.

The plan builds on a deal last November which saw the two companies agree to sell each other’s mobile-security technology. The deal with Samsung is a key part of BlackBerry’s target of doubling software sales to $500 million in its next fiscal year.

BlackBerry’s share of the global smartphone market has fallen below 1%, and much of its turnaround effort is pegged to the success of its new mobile-security software, dubbed BES12.

By partnering with Samsung, BlackBerry gains access to a larger customer base for BES12. Companies use BES12 to remotely manage employee devices on the corporate network and it works across operating systems, including Google Inc. ’s Android and Apple Inc. ’s iOS.

BlackBerry’s future is based on offering security and other types of mobile software that work across devices, Chief Executive John Chen said ahead of Sunday’s announcement. The company plans to launch new software packages later this year for security, editing and monitoring documents and messages and holding work meetings across with different types of mobile devices.

Historically, BlackBerry’s software was designed to boost sales of its own devices. But that strategy is no longer feasible given its dwindling share of the smartphone market.

Now, “I think there is a much bigger opportunity to make our software and package it correctly to make available across operating platforms,” Mr. Chen said.

BlackBerry launched BES12 in November but so far has declined to provide sales figures for the technology. Samsung, meanwhile, stands to benefit from BlackBerry’s stronger reputation for mobile security. That could help it accelerate its efforts to expand in the enterprise market, where it has struggled to gain traction.

Still, the partnership with BlackBerry is one of several that Samsung has signed to help it sell its mobile-security software. It has also partnered with Citrix Systems Inc., Good Technology Inc., MobileIron Inc. and VMware Inc. ’s AirWatch, all of which compete with BlackBerry in the mobile device management software space.
    jxnb, lech31, sidhuk and 10 others like this.
    03-01-15 01:05 PM
    BlackBerry Aims to Show Its Software Side in Barcelona | Re/code

BlackBerry CEO John Chen has made a bold promise, saying that the company needs to have $500 million in software revenue this year. In Barcelona, the company is talking about some of the products that it thinks will get it there and beyond in the coming years.

BlackBerry already has shifted its server software to manage devices from rivals, including Android, iOS and Windows phones. On Sunday, the company is detailing plans to bring some features from BlackBerry devices to those phones as well.

The company aims to bring three areas of features from BlackBerry to other devices: Email/productivity, communications and security. On the list of potential features that may make their way to the iPhone and Android are the company’s software keyboard and its BlackBerry Hub which brings together email, social networks and instant messaging conversations in a single place. BlackBerry started down this path last year by bringing BBM to non-BlackBerry devices.

“We are going to build a business on putting [our software] on other people’s devices,” Chen said in a briefing with reporters. Over time, BlackBerry is even open to licensing some features directly to other device makers.

While a big initiative, Chen said the effort will take most of this year to get ready, meaning it won’t be a big contributor to reaching that $500 million target, which Chen said remains the goal.

As for when the company can get its software business to be as big as its hardware unit, Chen says that will be a while yet. (Hardware still accounts for nearly three-quarters of company revenue.)

Also tricky will be bringing BlackBerry security and other features to iOS, where Apple offers very little low-level access to developers. Chen concedes that the company expects to bring more on Android than it can on iOS.

Another important program is the company’s partnership with Samsung. The company is announcing an expansion of last year’s deal that will see BlackBerry offer two new capabilities on Samsung devices. One, called WorkLife, allows business users to have separate work and personal phone numbers using a single SIM card, with the billing able to be split as well. A second feature will allow Samsung devices to benefit from BlackBerry’s security know-how to offer hardware-based encryption for voice, data and texting.

All this attention to software is not to say the company is giving up on phones, Chen stresses, adding it will discuss its hardware plans at an event on Tuesday.

“I obviously love the software business,” he said. “This is not to say I am not interested in the handset business.”
    03-01-15 01:07 PM
  14. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Software and Services have always eclipsed hardware sales. Having worked in the IT industry most of my life I have seen this time and time again. JC is a perfect CEO for BlackBerry.

Agreed.... but i would still like to see all service streams for BlackBerry become profitable and with revenues growing.... including devices... yes, some service offerings will be more profitable and stable than others...but they all feed off each other and the synergies are there... imo.

Devices: Quality...over quantity.... build the BlackBerry Brand again... think Porsche not GM....starting with pkb....

I believe CEO Chen is executing this vision ... patience will be rewarded...

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 01:12 PM
    That would be interesting now that QNX has been showing their hypervisor stuff, but where would a dual OS phone be appreciated?
    would enterprise care or need for it? would the consumer market pick up on it?

Mind blowing tech...but ...what value add would there be to this type of phone ?

(typing/thinking out loud)
    I personally see it for business. You can have your bb10 for work , efficient and secure and then have your android for home. If BlackBerry continues to make android more secure and manageable then I see nothing but the death of bb10. If bb10 remains a step above in security then there would always be a need for bb10 and this is where the duel os could come into play.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 01:15 PM
    WT: that's why I drive a Pcar.. hardware will always be a part of BlackBerry in some form or other. As you say the legendary BlackBerry keyboard is a Classic example. Looking forward to the Nanthealth market vertical.

03-01-15 01:18 PM
    Musical interlude:

Classically Posted.
    morganplus8, 3MIKE, rarsen and 5 others like this.
    03-01-15 01:35 PM
    Cause this is where all the cool kids hang out!
    3MIKE, sidhuk, morganplus8 and 9 others like this.
    03-01-15 02:02 PM
    03-01-15 04:53 PM
    Nice....I like this idea much more than the other offerings...looks like a normal watch if you prefer. .

Classically Posted.
    3MIKE, Corbu, CDM76 and 2 others like this.
    03-01-15 05:14 PM
    Agreed Shane. Call me a traditionalists but I will always prefer a handcrafted timepiece. Much like a six speed manual gearbox. The sheer joy of rowing the gears yourself. Eventually these time old traditions give way to technology not necessarily for the better imo.

03-01-15 05:40 PM
    03-01-15 05:41 PM
    Would be interesting to see pre-market action.
    Are we going up pre-market +10% ? Given so much news.
    03-01-15 06:31 PM
    Once again impressed with BlackBerry!

Samsung presents big, new, shiny flagship - there's BlackBerry.
    LG, Huawei present attractive new watches - there's BBM
    MWC is talking cybersecurity and connectedness - there's QNX

It was the same at CES and the autoshow

Hitting the deadlines, staying in the limelight of new tech.
    This is a new company and people are noticing.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE, Corbu, rarsen and 11 others like this.
    03-01-15 07:28 PM
    Can't sleep till tomorrow !! Lol
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    03-01-15 07:31 PM
113,256 ... 32303231323232333234 ...