• Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Things slow in the Atrium?
    02-24-15 08:03 AM
    OT: Security related.

Cyber criminals target implanted medical devices to hack remotely

Cyber criminals target implanted medical devices to hack remotely - Home | The Current with Anna Maria Tremonti | CBC Radio
    Corbu, 3MIKE, morganplus8 and 9 others like this.
    02-24-15 08:04 AM
    OT: Security related.

Cyber criminals target implanted medical devices to hack remotely

Cyber criminals target implanted medical devices to hack remotely - Home | The Current with Anna Maria Tremonti | CBC Radio
    I was just listening to this in my car. There has never been such a need for a company like QNX/BlackBerry to secure the millions of connected devices that are out there and will be soon. Pretty scary stuff.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, Corbu, 3MIKE and 10 others like this.
    02-24-15 08:22 AM
    FWIW:
    Billionaire Jim Simons Bought 3.3 Million Shares of BlackBerry Ltd (USA); Should You Buy Too? | The Motley Fool Canada

Jim Simons is one of the best stock pickers on the planet.

In 1982 he founded the Medallion Fund. Since inception, the fund has generated more than 35% returns annually for clients and today it’s one of the largest hedge funds in the world.

[...]

Simons has been quietly backing a new theme out of Silicon Valley called the Internet of Things, or IoT. In essence, the IoT is simply the connection of everyday objects to the Internet. And in recent quarters, he has built huge stakes in companies on the front line of this revolution, such as IBM, F5 Networks, and Sierra Wireless.

Simons has also just picked up a new position. Last week, SEC filings revealed that the billionaire investor boosted his stake in BlackBerry Ltd (TSX:BB)(NASDAQ:BBRY). As of December, the Medallion Fund owned 3.3 million shares valued at US$35.9 million.

02-24-15 08:28 AM
    02-24-15 09:48 AM
    What is the cut off date for this qtr earnings
    02-24-15 09:50 AM
    Feb 28
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-24-15 09:59 AM
    Anyone have any thoughts on how successful the BBM subscriptions will be? Looks like $12/year for no ads, and $24/year for a fancy pin? I'm glad they haven't started charging for the actual BBM features.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 10:04 AM
    No clue, but I can see those enterprises that opt for BBM meetings will want to have their company specific pin with no ads.
    W Hoa and morganplus8 like this.
    02-24-15 10:14 AM
    Regarding Verizon edge pricing (no contract required unlike the $99 price requiring you to sign a 2 year) since it is based on the retail price, the Classic will be $16.67 per month for 24 months. If you have a 6GB plan or higher for data then you get a $25 credit per month so you effectively get about $8.33 back every month. The retail price is $399.99
    I am calling them on Thursday to get mine!

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 10:26 AM
    Chen to unveil a new 'innovative' device next week at MWC and it hasn't leaked yet. Seems he has identified all the moles and he and his luitenants are running a tight ship.

It's been years since a new device has launched and not been leaked well in advance, if ever.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 10:41 AM
    Don't think I have articulated my point well, and may have caused some confusion.

A customer places an order with lead time. The manufacturer makes this order within the agreed lead time and aims to ship the order in full, and on time.

The customer is AT&T. They require these items for their own customer (end user).

They have to place accurate orders to BB in order to meet their end user sales.

It sounds like to me, that they (AT&T) are not ordering correctly and misjudging their own customer sales. (hence the up down movement of inventories being reported).

BB is not going to absorb AT&T's ordering deficiency by just making a whole bunch of extra stock "just in case". (this is what I was trying to say and I believe this was the error from the past with the write downs)

It's like when you go into McDs and order fries. McDs says they don't have any more fries for that day. The end user is pissed.... at McDs for not having fries....... not the maker of the fries (McCain or Cavendish Farms).

McDs is responsible for determining how many fries they are going to sell each day, and make sure to order enough (from the manufacturer) to meet their sales.

So BB sells product to stores who are ultimately responsible for their own inventory to satisfy their sales.

People seem to be blaming BB for what is AT&Ts responsibility.

BB also has their own store (shopblackberry). Capturing Back Orders on their site store would be good as chrys mentioned and/but stores like AT&T should also consider that for their own customers.
    In fact, AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and TMob do this all the time for iPhone. They are certain to sell out of the phones before everyone can get one, so the carriers know (using round numbers for illustration) if I sell out of the first 100,000 allocation, the next 100,000 I can get would be March 15, if I sell out of that the next 100,000 are available April 15th and so on...

In this way, AT&T, after they sell the first 100,000 and you are buyer 100,001 you see "order now for shipment March 15th", and folks do. Its good because you are allowing the person who wants to buy the phone the chance to buy the phone here and now. He/She is going to have to wait until March 15th anyway, so now you have his order locked up

@chrysaurora's suggestion is a good one and one AT&T and Apple have been using to good effect over and over again.
    02-24-15 10:48 AM
    Chen to unveil a new 'innovative' device next week at MWC and it hasn't leaked yet. Seems he has identified all the moles and he and his luitenants are running a tight ship.

It's been years since a new device has launched and not been leaked well in advance, if ever.

Posted via CB10
    Or it's not a new device and we are going to be (yet again) underwhelmed. Despite poor marketing, BlackBerry occasionally manages to build some hype (recall, BBM4All campaign, original Z10 launch etc.) and then ends up not even coming close to the hype.
    02-24-15 10:51 AM
    Maria Bartiromo tells JC: "I'm a big BlackBerry user and love the Classic"

Blackberry CEO on Opening Bell?s anniversary, growth | On Air Videos | Fox Business
    02-24-15 10:56 AM
    Or it's not a new device and we are going to be (yet again) underwhelmed. Despite poor marketing, BlackBerry occasionally manages to build some hype (recall, BBM4All campaign, original Z10 launch etc.) and then ends up not even coming close to the hype.
    Well, we HAVE seen the odd touchscreen/keyboard patent thing. I suppose that's one. The 'Rio' or whether may be the other. Perhaps a Passport variant as a third...unless the retractable keyboard is for the 'Passport II'?

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 10:57 AM

Classically Posted.
    3MIKE, Corbu, silversun10 and 5 others like this.
    02-24-15 11:09 AM
    Well, we HAVE seen the odd touchscreen/keyboard patent thing. I suppose that's one. The 'Rio' or whether may be the other. Perhaps a Passport variant as a third...unless the retractable keyboard is for the 'Passport II'?

Posted via CB10
    Rio - I think is somewhat updated Z3 and should be a low-cost device. This is certainly not going to be that revolutionary device.

Victoria/Visa - is probably that concept device that has retractable keyboard. When in closed position, one row of keyboard is still visible and can be used as trackpad. This may be the device that they are talking about. Let's see, I've only seen sketches so far.
    02-24-15 11:37 AM
    More shares picked up by a wealthy investor. Good news!

http://www.fool.ca/2015/02/24/billio...d-you-buy-too/

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 12:21 PM
    OT Chaps:

Morgan could you kindly cast your lovely eyes over this one. The upside is "huge"...they are getting their ducks lined up here me thinks.. I know nothing about this field but at this price one can afford some real speculation

TNG TransGaming Inc. on CVE.
    Corbu and Mr BBRY like this.
    02-24-15 01:00 PM
    The Rio is now the Leap and it is low end. Crackberry front page has had this for a while today.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 01:06 PM
    Lots of buzz at work about Blend. People who were issued BB10s got the 10.3.1 updates recently and everyone is excited.

This will translate to a lot of new BES12 licenses.

Posted via CB10
    bigbadben10, Corbu, jxnb and 16 others like this.
    02-24-15 01:12 PM
    Some highlights from Embedded World:

QNX at Embedded World 2015: 6 demos will be shown:

Demo 1: Neato Robotics BotVac. An automated vacuum cleaner with QNX Neutrino OS.
    Demo 2: Defibrillator the GS Electric G. Stemple GmbH with QNX Neutrino OS.
    Demo 3: We show the newest medical reference demo. It shows a composite of QNX, BlackBerry and third-party technologies for safety-critical medical devices.
    Demo 4: QNX SDK for apps and media.
    Demo 5: On Friday, a yet undisclosed robot is presented (See Crackberry lead page for this)
    Demo 6: A new product in cooperation with Texas Instruments in the automotive sector.

This site has them all. It is in German.

QNX auf der Embedded World 2015: 6 Demos werden gezeigt | BB10QNX.de
    Last edited by W Hoa; 02-24-15 at 02:02 PM.
    02-24-15 01:31 PM
    58--BlackBerry Q10 smart phones
    Solicitation Number: PR4087664
    Agency: Department of State
    Office: Southern Asian and Central Asian Posts

The U.S. Embassy Kabul, Afghanistan requires the following items, Purchase Description Determined by Line Item, to the following:
    LI 001: Brand new, genuine Blackberry Q10, black color, 16GB smart phone, factory unlocked, international version - 4G / LTE 3, 7, 8, 20 (1800 / 2600 / 900 / 800 MHz), 300, EA;
    LI 002: International shipping fee to U.S. Embassy Kabul street address, Door-to-Door shipping mode at:
    U.S. Embassy Kabul Great Massoud Road Kabul, Afghanistan, 1, EA;
    https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...=core&_cview=1
    02-24-15 01:36 PM
    OT Chaps:

Morgan could you kindly cast your lovely eyes over this one. The upside is "huge"...they are getting their ducks lined up here me thinks.. I know nothing about this field but at this price one can afford some real speculation

TNG TransGaming Inc. on CVE.
    It sure is cheap (market cap at $ 7.5 MM)! Trades for cash right now, breaking even in revenue to the bottom line, has a good deal in place and no real information there to let you know if that deal will jump start their success going forward. Its a purchase not unlike a call option on BBRY. You buy some, hope it works out. They have to do a reverse split on the stock (1:10??) as there are 80 MM shares out there trading for next to nothing. Good luck with it and keep us posted!
    Corbu, W Hoa, rarsen and 8 others like this.
    02-24-15 01:38 PM
    QNX Neutrino goodness...

http://www.neatorobotics.com/
    02-24-15 01:42 PM
113,250 ... 32173218321932203221 ...