View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Why Apple, Google won’t have success in the auto industry

Why Apple, Google won?t have success in the auto industry - The Globe and Mail

So Apple Inc. is looking into the car business, not necessarily as a supplier but perhaps as a larger player, perhaps even an auto maker of some sort.

Holy Google.

The tech giant is playing around the fringes of the auto industry, too – with the driverless car that will never in my lifetime become a commonplace reality for a list of reasons so long, it would fill a book as fat as the latest Oxford dictionary. More on that later, but for now, let’s focus on Apple, Google and Silicon Valley.

Apple, as the Financial Times and Reuters breathlessly announced, is setting up a “secret lab” near its Cupertino, Calif., office.

Of course Apple and Google and other Silicon Valley heavyweights are looking very closely at the car business. Apple may be worth around $740 billion (U.S.), making it the world’s most valuable public company, but the auto industry is massive by comparison. Apple and Google would be nuts not to dig into any opportunities they might find involving cars.

What you may not know is that every single major car company has a presence right there in Apple and Google’s own backyard. Of course they’ve set up shop at the heart of digital technology.

The modern automobile today is a rolling digital platform. Car design and development is also fully digital. Auto manufacturing is a digitized business. Marketing in the auto industry is becoming largely digital. Sales? If you haven’t already, get used to working with a sales person who does the entire deal in the showroom on a tablet.

But even though the auto industry is a digital business, it remains the antithesis of Silicon Valley’s more freewheeling culture of start-ups and corporate failures. Car companies require stability, loads of capital and must adhere to firm processes for good reasons. A couple of smart and inventive code writers can and did create PayPal out of virtually nothing.

Louay Eldada, CEO of Quanergy, an academic, inventor and three-time entrepreneur, described his experiences working with traditional auto companies to Automotive News: “Some of them have very complex processes. They cannot make decisions. They cannot move forward easily.”

Yes, exactly. As noted, there are reasons for this and those reasons are why Apple, Google and every other Silicon Valley company will struggle with any serious venture into the car business, at least beyond the role of first-tier supplier.

First, a global patchwork of regulations on safety, emissions and so many other elements of the auto industry creates a nightmarish bureaucratic maze that mobile phone makers and search engine developers simply cannot comprehend. These require a bureaucracy within car companies that makes sense of the government/regulatory bureaucracy.

To put it simply, if your cell phone just stops working, if it gives up the ghost in mid-call, no one dies. If your car or any key part of it fails, someone can die. And if it does not meet a long list of crash test standards, a new vehicle never even goes on sale. Silicon Valley companies do not need to worry about anyone dying while using their products.

Second, quality. From the moment a car company begins work on a new vehicle to the day it’s scrapped, the potential lifecycle of that vehicle can stretch to 22 years. Heck my son just scrapped his 27-year-old Ford Ranger pickup for $150 after getting four years of life out of a little truck bought used for $800. He’s gone through two smart phones in the time he had his old Ranger.

The tech industry makes almost immediately disposable products. Not the car business. Apple introduces and phases out entire product lines in a time frame equal to, say, half the life of a typical new vehicle. Silicon Valley’s companies will have a hard time wrapping their collective heads around an industry that no longer builds in obsolescence.

It will be interesting to see how Silicon Valley’s heavyweights find their way in the auto industry. They’re going to find it’s much easier launching an iPod than even the cheapest, simplest vehicle.
    02-17-15 05:30 PM
    irreplaceable is a double-edged sword. It not only means you�re unfireable � you�re also unpromotable.
    this is where i'm at. instead of being promoted i'm just given more responsibility.
    02-17-15 05:43 PM
    BlackBerry advertising the Classic on XBOX: https://www.blackberrycentral.com/ne...red-xbox-live/

Classically Posted.
    02-17-15 07:19 PM
    this is where i'm at. instead of being promoted i'm just given more responsibility.
    Dare to dream!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150217_213932_edit.png

Posted via CB10
    Mr BBRY and bungaboy like this.
    02-17-15 07:41 PM
    http://www.qnx.com/news/web_seminars...alization.html

There is some virtualization imo

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 08:50 PM
    02-17-15 09:37 PM
    I want an app that allows you to copy your security certificates off a common access card onto your device and read them like a CAC Reader to access information you'd have using those two devices anyway. This would also allow sending and receiving digitally encrypted emails and other data as well as digitally signing documents. You can do all this by using the reader and card so just get rid of the add-on's and take care of business on the go without all the cables.

Posted via Passport
    02-17-15 09:59 PM
    Current CAC card reader that attaches to the BlackBerry device. Needless really if an app can use the security certs instead of attaching crap to your device.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-blackberrysmartcardreader.jpg

Posted via Passport
    02-17-15 10:05 PM
    02-17-15 10:14 PM
  10. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Could we also anticipate a flurry of Vodafone blackberry Classic launches in Europe and elsewhere soon... facilitated by the Canadian EDC large loan to Vodafone in support of Blackberry, as announced earlier?....

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 12:14 AM
    regarding the 13F that were due today, (see link, hint click on date and change to 12/31, also you can sort by shares or percentage of their portfolio, very useful to see how large of a position relative to the assets they manage, note: while ADR's show, international holdings held directly in the foreign country does not show and is not included in the holdings or percentage)

Fidelity added along with Ontario Pension teachers, and Primecap now owns over 60M shares, but what was very interesting was one of the top 10 shareholders,
    DAVIDE LEONE & PARTNERS INVESTMENT CO LLP
    First off they are a Event driven hedge fund, and Farallon is one of the largest hedge funds in the country.

Not only did they add 2.3M shares they have nearly 10% of their portfolio in BBRY and it is their 2nd biggest position. If you go back and look at their historical holdings of BBRY, they started a position in sometime in the 3rd quarter of 2013. They only bought 1.25M shares then and then increased it to over 8M shares in the 4th quarter of 2013. Then in the 1st quarter of 2014 they slightly reduced it to 6.8M shares and bought a put on 2.5M shares (unknown strike price), They reduced again the next quarter and bought some more puts bringing the new put total to 3.25m shares. They started increasing the position again in the last 2 quarters doubling it to the almost 10M shares they have now. What is curious is that they did not increase their puts since June of 2014, while doubling their stake.

Davide Leone
    Profile From 2012

Leone spent more than a decade working for Farallon Capital Management, Thomas Steyer�s San Francisco-based hedge fund, before leaving to strike out on his own. He worked as a portfolio manager at Farallon both in the US and at Noonday Asset Management, the firm�s exclusive sub-adviser in London. Last year Leone set up Davide Leone and Partners Investment Company and in April he launched the DL Partners Opportunities fund, a global event-driven strategy. He continues to run money for Farallon at the new venture

BBRY Hedge Fund and Asset Management Owners - Whalewisdom
    Last edited by kadakn01; 02-18-15 at 09:41 AM.
    02-18-15 01:27 AM
    Already at $10.32. You Sir, are a genius lol

Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Classic or Passport???
    ... I have a sneaking feeling that some analysts are watching us.
    02-18-15 01:59 AM
    Ouch!

Attachment 334223

Posted via CB10
    interesting ...
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    02-18-15 05:55 AM
  14. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    interesting ...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	1740 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	334328
    Yeah I like the pairing bbry long Mobl short LOL

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 06:09 AM
    Great to see the classic starting to available all over the world now.
    Mr BBRY likes this.
    02-18-15 07:14 AM
    02-18-15 08:09 AM
    People have been talking about BlackBerry releasing a dual OS phone sometime during the summer. I wonder if the QNX Hypervisor technology will be utilized in this capacity, or it it is only intended for other purposes.

02-18-15 08:18 AM
    People have been talking about BlackBerry releasing a dual OS phone sometime during the summer. I wonder if the QNX Hypervisor technology will be utilized in this capacity, or it it is only intended for other purposes.

you never know...

"Supported guest platforms for QNX Hypervisor's first outing include QNX Neutrino 6.6 and 6.5 SP1, Linux, Android, and QNX CAR Platform for Infotainment...."

JC mentioned that by summer time he hopes to have a feature that is specific to BB units and that should lure more people to the BB device.... wonder if this is part of it?
    Last edited by BACK-2-BLACK; 02-18-15 at 11:45 AM.
    02-18-15 09:01 AM

Lovely:
    #BBFactCheck: MobileIron Underestimates BlackBerry | Inside BlackBerry

MobileIron recently held its Q4 earnings call where their CEO, Bob Tinker, made a number of comments regarding the competitive landscape — and BlackBerry in particular. Let’s separate Bob’s self-promotion from reality – and the facts.

Bob says: that he and his team “really don’t see BlackBerry or BES12, inside customers, or in competitive deals.” He adds “what we hear from our large enterprise customers, which is actually that they’re turning off their BESs, around the world.”

Fact Check: What Bob thinks he sees and hears is probably not the best assessment of what’s actually happening in the market. To get a better sense of the competitive landscape, BlackBerry recently asked independent research firm GfK to survey enterprise mobility decision makers in large companies in the US, Canada, UK, France and Germany. They found that:

- Approximately one-third of companies (32 percent) indicated that they currently use a BlackBerry MDM/EMM solution, making BlackBerry the most widely used brand among all MDM/EMM brands evaluated.
    - Overall satisfaction among companies using BlackBerry MDM/EMM solutions was 83 percent, giving BlackBerry one of the highest customer satisfaction scores across all MDM/EMM brands evaluated — and top among our main competitive set.
    - Over half of those surveyed who are using BES10 are using it to manage cross-platform devices.

Statistically and anecdotally, lots of enterprise customers who care about security and productivity are choosing BlackBerry.

Bob says: that MobileIron has “seen a lot of growth … in the larger enterprise verticals, such as financial services, healthcare, pharmaceuticals and professional services.” He also claims MobileIron has “expanded our government and defense footprint with a win at US naval engineering commands” and other government contracts.

Fact Check: Let’s not confuse growth with leadership. BlackBerry’s incumbent leadership in security makes it one of the most trusted mobile platforms for regulated and security-conscious organizations. In fact, the GfK study found that BlackBerry is the most used provider in regulated industries such as financial services, government and healthcare. BlackBerry customers include: All G7 governments, 16 of the G20 governments, 10 out of 10 of the largest global banks and global law firms, and the top five largest managed healthcare, investment services, and oil and gas companies. They choose BlackBerry in part because we have more than 70 government certifications and approvals, more than any other mobile vendor, and are the only provider to offer secure and encrypted voice, text and messaging.

When security and regulatory compliance matter, organizations choose BlackBerry.

Bob says: that the scalability of their platform is a differentiator, and notes they’ve successfully rolled out deployments for customers of “over 50,000 seats and 100,000 seats in less than four months.”

Fact Check: A differentiator is usually defined as a unique feature that sets a product or service apart from its competitors. Yet, BES12: a cross-platform EMM solution by BlackBerry is scalable to up to 25,000 devices per server and 150,000 devices per domain. BES12 was designed not just for massive scalability – but for productivity and, of course, security.

Bob’s self-promoting views of the competitive landscape are not supported by the facts. Take a look at our growing portfolio of enterprise products and solutions, and you’ll see why BlackBerry has more enterprise customers than MobileIron, Good and AirWatch – combined. #BBFactCheck
    bungaboy, lech31, spike12 and 25 others like this.
    02-18-15 09:14 AM
    With the letter on Linkedln yesterday from John Chen got me thinking lately why is do quiet...i think he is empowering his management instead being a super stars

#BBFactCheck
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    02-18-15 10:29 AM
    With the letter on Linkedln yesterday from John Chen got me thinking lately why is do quiet...i think he is empowering his management instead being a super stars

#BBFactCheck
    His letter made a lot of sense for managers and executives, but not for him IMO. He needs to be empowering and a superstar at the same time.
    georg4BB, CDM76, sidhuk and 6 others like this.
    02-18-15 10:49 AM
    I believe this section deserves some attention.

"These include microkernel OS architecture, adaptive partitioning technology, certified OS products, and now, a virtualization solution for isolating multiple operating systems on a single platform," said Grant Courville, director of product management, QNX Software Systems."

One device and multiple OS. Nice!

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk, plasmid_boy, Corbu and 7 others like this.
    02-18-15 11:03 AM
    you never know...

"Supported guest platforms for QNX Hypervisor's first outing include QNX Neutrino 6.6 and 6.5 SP1, Linux, Android, and QNX CAR Platform for Infotainment...."

JC mentioned that by summer time he hopes to have a feature that is specific to BB units on that should lure more people to the BB device.... wonder if this is part of it?
    I don't know if people realize what a game changer this is. THIS.IS.BIG.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 11:18 AM
    On the Passport in the USA. My wife went to an AT&T store this morning to get a SIM card for her new red Passport. The rep there said, "wow, we will have that this Friday, where did you get that?" "hubby got it for me from ShopBlackbeery site." she said. The rep pulled out his iPhone6 and placed next to the PP. Wife said, "my phone is much better than yours!" LOL
    Other reps in the store converged to her phone and took pictures of it. One of the reps was using a Z10. They said that customers had been coming into the store and asked for the Passport, and got upset at the fact they didn't have any yet.
    So, is this a unique environment or a reflection of the overall atmosphere surrounding the Passport?
    Or maybe it was just because of my wife (she is hot).

Edit: forgot to mention that wife told the reps that "this is a very special phone". One of them nodded his head in agreement.
    02-18-15 11:33 AM
    This thread stopped showing up in my "participated threads". Figured I leave a post to see if it comes back.

Edit. Something is def wrong with the cb app. It won't show this thread when I click on "participated".

Edit2: cleared cache and it's all good now.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    02-18-15 11:33 AM
113,256 ... 32073208320932103211 ...