View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Clearly, this is a frustrated CEO on the attack, that apparently realizes he bought a yacht with a termite infestation.
    Let's simply wait a few more quarters and see if my statement serves correct. I believe that BlackBerry and even others' are punishing MOBL right now.

Speaking of frustrated CEO's, I feel the same about what Chen said about app neutrality. I feel he is frustrated by the lack of bb10 devs available to pound out quality apps. I hope we get this under control soon, as I am concerned with security relying on Android apps.

Disclaimer of ignorance: I know very little about how thorough the BlackBerry Guardian service is, so I could be wrong about the Android apps running on our devices.
    Hi Bacon Munchers!

Fortunately (kind of) it's not just BlackBerry. You could add Amazon, Microsoft, and even Samsung with their Tizen OS to the list of 'under supported' platforms. However, Chen did mention a software will be coming out in June that will hopefully persuade the people currently carrying 2 devices to switch to a single BlackBerry device. The fact it's a software product, tells me they still have a (few) trick(s) up their sleeve. And if this one turns out to be a rather modest success, there's still lots of potential down the road.. to perhaps collaborate with the other weaker platforms? I have to admit that I haven't paid enough attention to Chen's editorial regarding app-neutrality, and I will read up on it this weekend. But to me it doesn't seem too far-fetched to envision a future where apps work on multiple smartphone / car / ... OS's like webpages load in multiple browsers. I also think he's way ahead of the 'pack' as BlackBerry is trying to set the standards of the IoT through various initiatives (Ion, Industrial Internet Consortium,...).

I understand that most developers are skeptical of the idea of changing their entire coding.. but I understand Chen too. They've just transformed from the BBOS 7 platform / BES 6 servers / old BlackBerry World / BBM to BB10 / BES 12 / new BlackBerry world / (e)BBM cross-platform and now their latest IoT ecosystem. I guess BlackBerry is less afraid of a challenge / more open to 'thinking out of the box' than most other companies in tech nowadays.
    Mr BBRY, jxnb, bspence87 and 14 others like this.
    02-13-15 04:50 AM
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/288...berry-fan.html

No.. the dangerous delusions of FUD spreading, uninformed writers do more damage.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, rarsen, Corbu and 4 others like this.
    02-13-15 06:45 AM
    02-13-15 06:47 AM
    http://www.opptrends.com/2015/02/bla...is-technology/
    Misleading title. The product is not for anything BlackBerry.
    I don't think that this will catch on anytime soon. Clever stuff, but the delay in raising and lowering the keyboard will turn some off no doubt.

........ Tactus has developed the working in collaboration with the lead keyboard designers for*BlackBerry Ltd (NASDAQ:BBRY) (TSE:BB) as well as former*Nokia*and*Amazon*Lab126 employees.

Old BlackBerry employees, or a current collaboration? I'm confused...

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 06:58 AM
    MOBL has the advantage of being able to claim 45% annual revenue growth. Wall Street loves a good growth story, even one that doesn't make money. Hence the $700M market cap on a $150M sales company that continues to burn cash.

BBRY will likely show revenue shrinkage this quarter. We won't see significant SP gains until revenue bottoms and BBRY becomes a growth story again.

Posted via CB10
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    02-13-15 07:41 AM

No.. the dangerous delusions of FUD spreading, uninformed writers do more damage.

Posted via CB10
    Wow, this guy really wants to start a flame throwing war. He must feel wonderful with that omnipotent ability to predict the future and all.

NOTE: Link intentionally removed. I don't think this article deserves any clicks. But it was a good read for the entertainment value. It also shows that BlackBerry bashing is still fashionable.
    rarsen, bungaboy, Corbu and 3 others like this.
    02-13-15 07:49 AM
    The dangerous delusions of the BlackBerry fan | InfoWorld

Care to actually refute anything in the article, or do you just prefer to dismiss the entire article because it says things you don't like?

Because if it's the latter, you're pretty much reinforcing his entire argument.
    early2bed likes this.
    02-13-15 08:07 AM
    OT but PSA...I've been receiving ALLOT of phishing emails claiming my bank accounts are locked due to failed password attempts, forged bank cards or other nefarious (but plausible) circumstances.

If you follow the link provided you'd swear it's your banks actual website. Of course it is not...banks, (at least here in Canada) do not warn their clients of security breaches via email.

Never...never use contact links or phone numbers provided in any emailed warning of inappropriate account activity.

And, it's going to get more complicated...have a read here: http://www.scmagazine.com/researcher...rticle/397190/

Classically Posted.
    rarsen, Corbu, bungaboy and 5 others like this.
    02-13-15 08:11 AM
    MOBL has the advantage of being able to claim 45% annual revenue growth. Wall Street loves a good growth story, even one that doesn't make money. Hence the $700M market cap on a $150M sales company that continues to burn cash.

BBRY will likely show revenue shrinkage this quarter. We won't see significant SP gains until revenue bottoms and BBRY becomes a growth story again.

Posted via CB10
    They put a lot of lipstick on this one.

Perpetual license revenue was up only $2M from the same quarter in 2013. Subscriptions up $4M.

The fact that they reported a whopping $27M spent on marketing is showing that MOBL has to spend a lot of money to keep revenue from shrinking.

MDM is a growing market and it seems Blackberry took a big bite out of their growth. Blackberry should continue with the offensive as much as possible to eliminate weak competitors completely.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 08:19 AM
    They put a lot of lipstick on this one.

Perpetual license revenue was up only $2M from the same quarter in 2013. Subscriptions up $4M.

The fact that they reported a whopping $27M spent on marketing is showing that MOBL has to spend a lot of money to keep revenue from shrinking.

MDM is a growing market and it seems Blackberry took a big bite out of their growth. Blackberry should continue with the offensive as much as possible to eliminate weak competitors completely.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with this 100 percent, Blackberry should start to eat other companies lunch
    02-13-15 08:25 AM
    I agree with this 100 percent, Blackberry should start to eat other companies lunch
    I hope you are right. MOBL will exit 2015 with revenues equal to 40% of BBRY's software revenue - not such a joke.

Circle Mar. 27 on your calendar, this is going to get interesting.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 08:50 AM
    One would assume they have been trying their hardest to do this for some time? Surely this isn't a novel idea.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 08:57 AM
    Double post
    Classically Posted.
    02-13-15 09:17 AM
    One would assume they have been trying their hardest to do this for some time? Surely this isn't a novel idea.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry didn't have a product to manage non-BlackBerry devices until mid to late 2013 and we all know what happened during that time frame. John Chen managed to get Wall Street to give BlackBerry a chance to get BES12 out last year. BlackBerry let companies try out BES12 for free until January of this year.

So competitors have had several years of managing non-BlackBerry devices all to themselves. Now BlackBerry is in the game.
    Mr BBRY, 3MIKE, jxnb and 5 others like this.
    02-13-15 09:18 AM
    I hope you are right. MOBL will exit 2015 with revenues equal to 40% of BBRY's software revenue - not such a joke.
    MOBL isn't AMZN. They can't be running losses forever and they don't have the cash reserves that BlackBerry had and has been able to retain during its transition.
    02-13-15 09:24 AM
    BlackBerry didn't have a product to manage non-BlackBerry devices until mid to late 2013 and we all know what happened during that time frame. John Chen managed to get Wall Street to give BlackBerry a chance to get BES12 out last year. BlackBerry let companies try out BES12 for free until January of this year.

So competitors have had several years of managing non-BlackBerry devices all to themselves. Now BlackBerry is in the game.
    They were always in the game. They just didn't have a product to manage the majority of devices, as you said. There was never a law stating that BlackBerry were not allowed to have BES12. They just hadn't done it - hadn't adapted the the playing conditions.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 09:30 AM
    Look at MOBL down 10% as the big boys pumped and dumped that obvious loser. They will be out of business next year. The anti BlackBerry crowd here can spread all the FUD they want but no one cares.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 09:31 AM
    I'm not suggesting a Schism or revolt against this very very useful thread, but I think some of us should use a different thread for chatting about BlackBerry - the good and the bad, without having to worry about being called trolls or getting banned for considering the negatives as well as the positives.

Perhaps we could leave this thread alone when it comes to considering the cons as well as the pros, and come here to read the positive, feelgood stuff. No one has to join me, but I'll browse and post here what I find.

This isn't a knock against this thread. It's just obvious that a certain kind of criticism isn't really wanted, so maybe folks should let this thread be what it wants and discuss the good bad and the ugly elsewhere.
    Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 09:38 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=989527

I'm going to rant in

The Atrium (Armchair CEO section),

because it has a simple and cheesy name, when thinking of both sides of things, and I'll continue to enjoy the super amazing awesomeness of this thread as well.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 09:44 AM

Circle Mar. 27 on your calendar, this is going to get interesting.

Posted via CB10
    Well if you consider the EZPASS program generated 0$ but resulted in about 10 million new licenses, most of which will start paying, that 40% will look more like 20% next year.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-13-15 09:50 AM
    The dangerous delusions of the BlackBerry fan | InfoWorld

Posted via CB10
    Wow, this guy really wants to start a flame throwing war. He must feel wonderful with that omnipotent ability to predict the future and all.

NOTE: Link intentionally removed. I don't think this article deserves any clicks. But it was a good read for the entertainment value. It also shows that BlackBerry bashing is still fashionable.
    Care to actually refute anything in the article, or do you just prefer to dismiss the entire article because it says things you don't like?

Because if it's the latter, you're pretty much reinforcing his entire argument.
    I read the article and I think the article does make some good points. For example:
    Delusion No. 1: BlackBerry's problem is a marketing failure
    I think it is true that lack of BlackBerry sales is not an entirely marketing problem. If it were, then by sheer word of mouth since BB 10 was released, we'd have seen increased sales. But the fact is, except for people like us that are in minority, most people that are buying BlackBerry are not recommending it without reservations. I commonly hear 'Oh, it's fantastic for email but if you are more of a consumer of media, you will be happier with an Android or iPhone'. Most people are not recommending BB 10 devices to their friends and family without any reservations.

Pre 10.3.1 BlackBerry 10 OS had a lot of catching-up to do. Right out of the gate, 2 years ago, I didn't think BlackBerry OS was at-par with other OS (even if we disregard app situation) in terms of sheer functionality. It has improved a lot over 2 years and I have personally created and participated in feature-request/bug report threads many times on CrackBerry itself.

Delusion No. 2: BlackBerry's struggles are a U.S. phenomenon
    I think that's correct. I don't think anyone is denying that though. Article makes it sound like we are denying that.

Delusion No. 3: iPhones and Android smartphones are toys
    iPhone and Android are toys. I half-agree with that. Yes, it's a common counter argument but I think all of us realize that iPhone and Android, while they may have started as toys, have pretty much caught with BlackBerrys in terms of business-use.

Delusion No. 4: BlackBerry doesn't need devices to succeed
    I don't think us, BB fans/enthusiasts, are saying that. BB's security is tightly integrated with their hardware. So, they must make devices. In fact, we cheered when John Chen said he'd continue making devices.

Delusion No. 5: Security needs will pull customers back to BlackBerry
    I half agree with that. Sure, iPhone and Android can be secured too but they can not provide BlackBerry level of security. Article says that most people don't need such high security (except the likes of President Obama). True. But as hackers get more sophisticated in breaching mobile phones and we start to see this become regular news, I think, at-least, the companies would start buying BlackBerry devices back. In coming years, we are going to see even more smartphone hacks. Regular consumers may not care but companies IT departments would most likely start gravitating towards platforms that provide end-to-end smartphone security. BlackBerry is the only game in town for that. So, yeah, I half agree with that article because we may not see such (security led) move towards BB devices within a year but I think it'd happen sometime within 3 years (unless Android/iPhone do something to counter it).
    02-13-15 09:55 AM
    Well if you consider the EZPASS program generated 0$ but resulted in about 10 million new licenses, most of which will start paying, that 40% will look more like 20% next year.

Posted via CB10
    No. MOBL 2015 forecast rev./BBRY 2015 forecast software rev. = 35- 40%.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 09:58 AM
    This thread says to support BlackBerry. What's accepted here is constructive criticism. Sometimes FUD links are posted here to be kept informed that's all.
    02-13-15 10:16 AM
    Up to #14 on Amazon best-seller list. I hope somebody at BlackBerry is paying attention!!

Also, still #1 is top rated

Posted via CB10
    Now #7.

I wonder how many phones Amazon actually sells..? Did BlackBerry sell 1000 phones to make the jump? 100,000?

Posted via CB10
    ZayDub, bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    02-13-15 11:02 AM
    Can any one help me get a super cheap passport by any chance
    When I searched for a Passport on Amazon a couple hours ago, I was shocked to see the first option be a new Passport for $320. I pounced on it. I have no idea why I was able to score such as good deal as it is now nowhere to be found.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bb-passport.png
    02-13-15 11:40 AM
113,256 ... 31983199320032013202 ...