View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Just something to think about. Maybe we should lead our friends in the right direction:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-intc.png

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-csco.png

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry.png

These are all great companies and the next one is too:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-aapl.png

Be careful folks.
    02-11-15 06:09 PM
    I think someone earlier was comparing gains in BB.TO in Canadian dollars versus gains in AAPL is US dollars. That's a silly comparison since the Canadian dollar has lost significant value recently.

You have to compare gains in the same currency.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    Sounds good. Ok, let's start again....

I suggest that those Canadians who bought the Canadian Stock for $6 in CDN funds when JC took the reigns, and sold the stock for $12 CDN, (and made double their Monopoly money), should give it back and go buy AAPL stock.

My mistake, what was I thinking....

Ok, thanks
    02-11-15 06:21 PM
    I'm selling my BlackBerry shares and buying Apple share, so much more value in Apple.

Going down hill is always faster than going uphill.

Posted via CB10
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    02-11-15 07:24 PM
    Sounds good. Ok, let's start again....

I suggest that those Canadians who bought the Canadian Stock for $6 in CDN funds when JC took the reigns, and sold the stock for $12 CDN, (and made double their Monopoly money), should give it back and go buy AAPL stock.

My mistake, what was I thinking....

Ok, thanks
    Well percentages do carry over the currency units right?

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 08:17 PM
    No Morgan, you are wrong and I can prove it with data.

Let me describe my argument succinctly and I'm sure you will agree. If you pick a date in the past where a stock is at historic lows and compare it to today's price, then the stock performance over that period will look good. And if you pick a date in the past where the stock is flying, then the performance over that period will look bad. Are you with me so far?

So instead of cherry picking dates, I'm arguing that we should look at all the past dates. Would you agree this approach is better? This is nothing more that what you would see in prospectuses - they publish a chart where they show the 3mo, 6mo, 1yr, 18mo, 2yr, etc returns.

So what I did was I downloaded daily historical closing prices for BBRY, AAPL, and the NASDAQ index for the past 2264 trading days (that's ten years worth of data). Now each day in the past, I calculate the returns relative to today. And here are the results:

98% of the time AAPL has a higher return than BBRY. The 2% of course corresponds to the historic lows of BBRY. There were 54 trading days out of 2264 where if you bought BBRY and APPL at the same time, BBRY would have turned out ahead.

95% of the time NASDAQ has a higher return compared to BBRY.
    Do you always invest in the past?

I always thought targeting future growth was the way to invest. I must have missed the fundamentals...

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 08:47 PM
    Just something to think about. Maybe we should lead our friends in the right direction:

Be careful folks.
    Perfect. Well said.

Posted via CB10
    Mr BBRY and theRock1975 like this.
    02-11-15 08:47 PM
    All I did today as some #FactChecks. First of all I didn't bring up AAPL, it was one of the regulars. I simply put up some data to fact check some incorrect assertions that were being made.

And if you read my posts today, I didn't even offer a bearish opinion at all. No opinions, just facts.

When one of the regulars bring up AAPL, and how BBRY is better, nobody has a problem with it. Nobody ever said "iMore is that way". But the moment someone points out facts or opinions that is contrary to the narrative, then suddenly the compaints come out. This is exactly how an echo chamber would behave.

Exactly. That was BACK-TO-BLACK's mistake. That's why I was urging him to post his data so we could settle the issue.
    I'll give you you understand sentence and paragraph structure very well, but the substance to your arguments amount to nothing more than "i told you so" and the ability to quote bbry and aapl gains/losses over "cherry picked" times. When you can add substance to this thread feel free to contribute, until then **** ***
    bungaboy and Greened like this.
    02-11-15 09:27 PM
    WTF. Mars attack.
    I support blackberry and I buy shares.
    Blaze? Any one? Never mind

Posted using BlackBerry passport.
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-11-15 09:37 PM
  9. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150210_211812.png

My cat jiji says: "meow!"... scottish fold talk for....

"Let's get back on track and be professional... let's talk Blackberry! "

Looooooong bb.to

Tokyo
    With cat...

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 09:44 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150210_211812.png 
Views:	1268 
Size:	738.4 KB 
ID:	333132

My cat jiji says: "meow!"... scottish fold talk for....

Looooooong bb.to

Tokyo
    With cat...

Posted via CB10
    Man.. I never thought I'd be liking "cat posts" on this thread.
    02-11-15 09:47 PM

Indeed.

Let's start with our BlackBerry Farm friend, Hannah... That should get everyone's attention back on topic!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-x158481_tk1_04921-rawmasterwmsm.jpg

b121, Bilaal, georg4BB and 10 others like this.
    02-11-15 10:54 PM

Indeed.

Let's start with our BlackBerry Farm friend, Hannah... That should get everyone's attention back on topic!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X158481_TK1_04921-rawMasterwmsm.JPG 
Views:	1102 
Size:	256.1 KB 
ID:	333144

Maybe we can hire her to lure the shorts away

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and Corbu like this.
    02-11-15 11:41 PM
    I wanted to show a few charts below to show an interesting pattern, as they say, history doesn't repeat itself but it does rhyme. The numbers below are split adjusted and for the Nasdaq listed (previously RIMM)

First a long chart of BBRY, from 1999 to present in Weekly format

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-long-chart.jpg

Now lets look at the first time BBRY had a major rally then decline in 1999 to about 2003, we know the back drop, the tech crash of the Nasdaq. However as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-chart-1999.jpg
    From the high created in Feb 2000 of $29.29 the stock cratered to around $4 or about a 80% + decline about 5 months later, and then again it went back up to around $21 about 5 months in Oct 2000,
    As we step back a bit, we see that from peak to trough, BBRY was down about 96%, or the all time high in around Feb 2000, was $29.29 and the low was created around April 2001 of about $2.58, and then rallied to up about 265% to $6.80.
    Many I am sure thought that was the low, but just a little over a year later it went down in Oct 2002 to $1.39.
    Now the stock had been mostly range bound between from about Oct 2002 till Dec 2003 until it gaped up to $11.60 and never looked back (until recently!) and started its climb to $148 years later.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________
    Now the current chart of the past several years.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-chart-2008.jpg

From the peak of $148, reached in June 2008 and then the sharp drop to about $35 in Nov 2008 or around 80% about 5 months later and then it went back up to $85 in May 2009 about 6 months later.It stayed mostly range bound and was still above $75 in March of 2010
    Again stepping back, we see the eventual low to $6.20 in Sep 2012. The stock then rallied nearly 300% before crashing to the new low of $5.44 in Dec 2013, again about 96% from ($148) peak to trough. For the past 14 months we have been range bound very similarly to how we were after hitting the low of $1.39 in 2002. This may follow what Morgan has been saying about a possible breakout soon.
    At this point, nothing is certain, it may not end up like it did then, but it is interesting nonetheless.
    Last edited by kadakn01; 02-12-15 at 12:30 AM.
    02-12-15 12:13 AM
    Huzzah! The thread actually has some spice today!

Posted via CB10
    02-12-15 01:18 AM
    They did.
    But - I made a typo earlier and I put in a wrong date for when Chen was appointed executive chairman of the board and interim CEO. My mistake.

The date when Chen took over was Nov 4th, 2013. According to NASDAQ, BBRY was at trading at 6.50. AAPL was trading at 75.25.
    Today as I type this, BBRY is at 9.83, while AAPL is at 124.63

That's a 51.2% increase for BBRY compared to a 65.6% for AAPL.

What dataset are you looking at? I'd appreciate if you could share the data you're using.
    Thanks for the correction. It is sort of cherry-picking to make that statement with Apple just now at an all time high, and BlackBerry in a slump-back, so let's meet back here in 6 Months and see where we sit.

I was also comparing my holdings of bb.to, as there is more pop there.
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-12-15 01:43 AM
    ?? Since beginning of this year... bbry negative.. appl positive...

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 333109

Hoping by end of this year your statement holds true....

Long bbry.to
    Yes, a misstep on words. It was very late (or early if you prefer), and I meant to say the last Year (read: since Chen). We went from 7 and change, to 13 and change. Bb.to for me, and that is a near double, depending on your buy-in. Anyway, let's see where we are in 6 months. My money-backed guess is in good standings....

Thanks for the support though.

Go BlackBerry!
    02-12-15 01:53 AM
    When is "Taking out theTrash Day"?
    02-12-15 05:02 AM
    Readings material

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/02/...est-in-africa/

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, Mr BBRY and 3MIKE like this.
    02-12-15 05:04 AM
    It sounds like a positive day on Wall Street today !
    bungaboy and CDM76 like this.
    02-12-15 05:14 AM
    Maybe we can hire her to lure the shorts away

Posted via CB10
    She could certainly lure my shorts away!

Posted via CB10
    02-12-15 05:51 AM
    02-12-15 06:27 AM
    It sounds like a positive day on Wall Street today !
    Care to explain?

Posted via CB10
    02-12-15 06:28 AM
    Another General Interest article, independant of my wish someone on this Web site will want to protect me from myself:

The Global Geography of Internet Addiction - The Atlantic
    02-12-15 06:40 AM
    Care to explain?

Posted via CB10
    The cease fire in Ukraine for one, let's hope it holds ! ISIL seem calm. Greece is still a wild card though, oil is stable... the markets are green this morning but we never know it could change for the worst in a second ! let's not jinx it !
    02-12-15 06:47 AM
    Oh I forgot, Tiger Woods is out for the next tournaments ! But than again what does he have to do with that. Lol
    bungaboy and Superfly_FR like this.
    02-12-15 06:55 AM
113,256 ... 31943195319631973198 ...