View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    General Interest item, even to the Wall-Huggers who seem to be quite numerous reading this site:

Six tips for getting the most from your rechargeable batteries | ZDNet
    LOL !
    rarsen, 3MIKE and bungaboy like this.
    02-11-15 02:54 PM
    Please post the numbers like I did, so we can compare facts. Since we are debating something that can be cleared up by data, you should post your data.

(facepalm)

Just look it up.....you will see it is well north of the AAPL gain for those dates....

BB.TO
    02-11-15 03:06 PM
    A big thanks to all the pros dropping the knowledge on BlackBerry share price in this thread. I was curious as to what other online community info sharing sites others visit on the interwebs.

Along with this thread I've recently discovered the StockTwits BBRY experience to be very helpful. So if anyone has any other recommendations. That'd be great! Thank-you in advance.
    02-11-15 03:21 PM
    Desperate shorters come here to convince us to sell our shares. The more I see it the tighter I'm going to hold onto my stock.

Posted via CB10
    Andy_bb_king and 3MIKE like this.
    02-11-15 03:34 PM
    I am no Apple fan, and their continued success and somewhat unabated following has bewildered me.

That being said, I don't think that the success of my...scratch that, "our" investment in BlackBerry is contingent on the fall of Apple's share price. Call me crazy, but my investment doesn't hinge on the reversal of ongoing pair trades or that their prices will be inversely related. Nonsense.

I believe that BlackBerry's success will be it's own. Whether that coincides with the fall in Apple's share price is besides the point and not my concern.

Although I applaud all those who have gather the facts to refute the statements about the ROI of APL vs. BBRY, it makes no difference.

For those that laud one investment over another, remember nobody had to invest in EITHER Apple or BlackBerry. There ARE other places they could have invested many of which had much better returns than both. Again, so what.

I suggest to you that barring any catastrophe, the success of BlackBerry won't lead to the demise of Apple and vice versa. If I didn't believe that this was true, I would never have invested in BlackBerry. So far, BlackBerry's continued survival is proof positive of that.
    iamagod, CDM76, awindsr and 4 others like this.
    02-11-15 03:38 PM
    BlackBerry Smartphones & Accessories ? Buy Unlocked Phones, Cases, Chargers, Batteries, Bluetooth Accessories & More

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screenshot-2015-02-11-16.26.59-640x326.png

+ this:

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/02/...assport-offer/
    BlackBerry is Spreading the Love With a Red BlackBerry Passport Offer
    Last edited by Corbu; 02-11-15 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Added INSIDE BlackBerry link
    02-11-15 03:42 PM
    02-11-15 03:43 PM
    (facepalm)

Just look it up.....you will see it is well north of the AAPL gain for those dates....

BB.TO
    I don't think this argument makes sense. Penny stocks show more percentage gains during the short to medium term than Berkshire Hathaway. Who with sense would argue the penny stock is 'doing better'?

I think it would be great if we stopped shouting down different opinions. A range of views is far more helpful, I think.

Posted via CB10
    sati01 likes this.
    02-11-15 03:54 PM
    Thank goodness the facts are here (you) to set these dreamers straight, am I right? LOL

Let's look at the two companies since Apple decided to launch its famous iPhone 5!!! I have a chart of both stocks from that fateful day, Sept. 12th 2012.
    Or we could look at the day the original iPhone was introduced, June 29, 2007.

AAPL +616%
    BBRY -85%

Thus proving notfanboy's point about arbitrary dates.
    02-11-15 04:18 PM
    Now here's another great example of cherry picking a date. As I noted earlier, you can prove anything cherry picking.

A far better approach is to compare performance across all the investment timeframes. This is really basic stuff, which anyone who has looked at a fund prospectus knows.

But don't take my word for it. There are tools at Yahoo! Finance or Google Finance where you can see for yourself, It is easy enough to compare different timeframes, moving the start date around, and see how BBRY, AAPL, and the NASDAQ index charts behave side by side.
    Now I wasn't going to say anything but you are killing me!

So you are saying I cherry picked, "iPhone5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, iPhone 6S, all the new tablets, all the new laptops. tv's, all the new corporate acquisitions, all of that $ 168 B in cash", WOW!

Let's not forget that I did this over 31 straight, uninterrupted months !?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!

Am I really that good?

Let's face it, his argument was very weak at best, there was zero correlation between AAPL and BBRY as an investment and certainly little benefit in owning AAPL versus BBRY over the past 31 months. In fact, there were ample times when both stocks sucked or did quite well. AAPL doesn't own that space. In fact, you could claim that AAPL survived/rallied based upon their share buy back program alone and you would be correct in making that claim. No one here needs to have their investment prowess insulted in that light.
    02-11-15 04:19 PM
    Now here's another great example of cherry picking a date. As I noted earlier, you can prove anything cherry picking.

A far better approach is to compare performance across all the investment timeframes. This is really basic stuff, which anyone who has looked at a fund prospectus knows.

But don't take my word for it. There are tools at Yahoo! Finance or Google Finance where you can see for yourself, It is easy enough to compare different timeframes, moving the start date around, and see how BBRY, AAPL, and the NASDAQ index charts behave side by side.
    Man, you have typed a lot of words today and said very little of substance. Others have contributed bearish view points on bbry before that at least have added to my knowledge of the stock and the market. You have done nothing but trolled your drivel and added nothing of value to this discussion.

That's all you get. You've been fed enough today.

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.1.2243 | Bell | via CB10
    Mr BBRY, bungaboy, spike12 and 1 others like this.
    02-11-15 04:25 PM
    I think it would be great if we stopped shouting down different opinions. A range of views is far more helpful, I think.
    Given what most of us have had to put up with, in respect to our choice to stand by BBRY over the last few years, I don't think most of us are ready to entertain "a range of views" just yet.

At the end of the day we all want to make some money but at the root of that is our hope to see BlackBerry defy the odds and the doom sayers and once again become profitable and successful. And in defense of that we get quite tribal around here sometimes.

Give it a few more quarters and maybe we'll be having a different kind of conversation.
    02-11-15 04:31 PM
    02-11-15 04:38 PM
    Don't let them know I shorted AAPL made money! and will do it again. be quiet!!!
    Edit: I never posted on a thread that says "I support AAPL"

So you are saying I cherry picked, "iPhone5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, iPhone 6S, all the new tablets, all the new laptops. tv's, all the new corporate acquisitions, all of that $ 168 B in cash", WOW!

Let's not forget that I did this over 31 straight, uninterrupted months !?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!

Am I really that good?

Let's face it, his argument was very weak at best, there was zero correlation between AAPL and BBRY as an investment and certainly little benefit in owning AAPL versus BBRY over the past 31 months. In fact, there were ample times when both stocks sucked or did quite well. AAPL doesn't own that space. In fact, you could claim that AAPL survived/rallied based upon their share buy back program alone and you would be correct in making that claim. No one here needs to have their investment prowess insulted in that light.
    02-11-15 04:44 PM
    Bla1ze where are you! Cheers Bro!!

Posted by my fabulous Passport
    02-11-15 04:50 PM

Am I really that good?

No Morgan, you are wrong and I can prove it with data.

Let me describe my argument succinctly and I'm sure you will agree. If you pick a date in the past where a stock is at historic lows and compare it to today's price, then the stock performance over that period will look good. And if you pick a date in the past where the stock is flying, then the performance over that period will look bad. Are you with me so far?

So instead of cherry picking dates, I'm arguing that we should look at all the past dates. Would you agree this approach is better? This is nothing more that what you would see in prospectuses - they publish a chart where they show the 3mo, 6mo, 1yr, 18mo, 2yr, etc returns.

So what I did was I downloaded daily historical closing prices for BBRY, AAPL, and the NASDAQ index for the past 2264 trading days (that's ten years worth of data). Now each day in the past, I calculate the returns relative to today. And here are the results:

98% of the time AAPL has a higher return than BBRY. The 2% of course corresponds to the historic lows of BBRY. There were 54 trading days out of 2264 where if you bought BBRY and APPL at the same time, BBRY would have turned out ahead.

95% of the time NASDAQ has a higher return compared to BBRY.
    02-11-15 04:51 PM
    I think someone earlier was comparing gains in BB.TO in Canadian dollars versus gains in AAPL is US dollars. That's a silly comparison since the Canadian dollar has lost significant value recently.

You have to compare gains in the same currency.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    02-11-15 05:00 PM
    Man, you have typed a lot of words today and said very little of substance. Others have contributed bearish view points on bbry before that at least have added to my knowledge of the stock and the market. You have done nothing but trolled your drivel and added nothing of value to this discussion.
    All I did today as some #FactChecks. First of all I didn't bring up AAPL, it was one of the regulars. I simply put up some data to fact check some incorrect assertions that were being made.

And if you read my posts today, I didn't even offer a bearish opinion at all. No opinions, just facts.

When one of the regulars bring up AAPL, and how BBRY is better, nobody has a problem with it. Nobody ever said "iMore is that way". But the moment someone points out facts or opinions that is contrary to the narrative, then suddenly the compaints come out. This is exactly how an echo chamber would behave.

I think someone earlier was comparing gains in BB.TO in Canadian dollars versus gains in AAPL is US dollars. That's a silly comparison since the Canadian dollar has lost significant value recently.
    Exactly. That was BACK-TO-BLACK's mistake. That's why I was urging him to post his data so we could settle the issue.
    02-11-15 05:01 PM
    No Morgan, you are wrong and I can prove it with data.

Let me describe my argument succinctly and I'm sure you will agree. If you pick a date in the past where a stock is at historic lows and compare it to today's price, then the stock performance over that period will look good. And if you pick a date in the past where the stock is flying, then the performance over that period will look bad. Are you with me so far?

So instead of cherry picking dates, I'm arguing that we should look at all the past dates. Would you agree this approach is better? This is nothing more that what you would see in prospectuses - they publish a chart where they show the 3mo, 6mo, 1yr, 18mo, 2yr, etc returns.

So what I did was I downloaded daily historical closing prices for BBRY, AAPL, and the NASDAQ index for the past 2264 trading days (that's ten years worth of data). Now each day in the past, I calculate the returns relative to today. And here are the results:

98% of the time AAPL has a higher return than BBRY. The 2% of course corresponds to the historic lows of BBRY. There were 54 trading days out of 2264 where if you bought BBRY and APPL at the same time, BBRY would have turned out ahead.

95% of the time NASDAQ has a higher return compared to BBRY.
    What a useless, useless exercise. Unbelievable.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 05:11 PM
    Not sure if this will make sense.. but in the current bull market it seems like every chimpansee can pick a few winners. However, when the markets start to move sideways, or face a downward correction, I (!) would rather be invested in a lean company like BlackBerry with a future-oriented business plan.. than in Apple, Twitter, Facebook,... because let's face it, Apple might have done VERY well for themselves and their shareholders, but investors of any of the other companies that I mentioned would have had pretty big losses (on paper) at some point since these companies did their IPO. Fortunately for them, if they had held on to their investments, most would have been nicely rewarded. However, if I would rather invest in a company with a small market cap, and a future-oriented business plan.. or a company with a very high (some would say overvalued) market cap, and heading towards a saturated environment... in a market that can get pretty unpredictable?

Morgan is 100% right to take the launch of the iPhone5 as a starting point. He will also be 'that' guy whom actually makes money picking the winners in a bear market. Because he looks at the financials AND the prospects of a company.

I do have to say, it surprises me that no one has mentioned Apple's dividends.. which is something a value investor would actually look at. I'm guessing our new friends aren't that much into 'value' investments, but short term gain?
    02-11-15 05:15 PM
    All I did today as some #FactChecks. First of all I didn't bring up AAPL, it was one of the regulars. I simply put up some data to fact check some incorrect assertions that were being made.

And if you read my posts today, I didn't even offer a bearish opinion at all. No opinions, just facts.

When one of the regulars bring up AAPL, and how BBRY is better, nobody has a problem with it. Nobody ever said "iMore is that way". But the moment someone points out facts or opinions that is contrary to the narrative, then suddenly the compaints come out. This is exactly how an echo chamber would behave.

Exactly. That was BACK-TO-BLACK's mistake. That's why I was urging him to post his data so we could settle the issue.
    At the expense of getting zero likes, I for one appreciate the dialogue. I think that you can support BlackBerry while being receptive to discussions that don't necessarily gush over the company or one that laments less than wonderful performance.
    02-11-15 05:16 PM
    I see that BlackBerry is discounting the passport but only for a few days. I see this as good news. They must feel the volume for the quarter is close to what they want

Posted from my PassPort
    02-11-15 05:22 PM
  23. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    BlackBerry stock outperformed Apple this year.

end. /
    ?? Since beginning of this year... bbry negative.. appl positive...

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 333109

Hoping by end of this year your statement holds true....

Long bbry.to
    rarsen likes this.
    02-11-15 05:26 PM
    02-11-15 05:38 PM
    I see that BlackBerry is discounting the passport but only for a few days. I see this as good news. They must feel the volume for the quarter is close to what they want

Posted from my PassPort
    Too bad isn't for all devices though lol.

Gf told me last night she finally wants to try a Z30 as is tired of her iPhone (the screen being smashed to crap multiple times doesn't help her want to keep it).

Side note : noticed Telus is now only selling BlackBerry Passport, z30 and Classic. To me these seem like the 3 lines BlackBerry should focus on and keep. Just keep updating them. And stop renaming them every year. Build product loyalty / recognition along with brand loyalty/ recognition .

Telus also selling the Q5 as prepaid device. Add the Z3 to prepaid and it'll be perfect.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 05:42 PM
113,256 ... 31933194319531963197 ...