View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I thought a wise trader always wants to hear the bullish and bearish cases for all of his holdings instead of an echo chamber.
    But you had already concluded that we are not "wise", so what you said here makes no sense.
    Would make more sense if you find the "wise traders" to spread your message.
    02-11-15 12:38 PM
    For years this board has had people calling Apple at a top and bbry a bottom and a much better opportunity. The reality has proven otherwise. Many people look for a home run turn around stories and think they have the ability to call tops by shorting the most profitable companies on earth. I learned that failed lesson a long time ago. Buy strength and accept small repeatable gains and rid yourself of the idea of finding diamonds in the rough to get rich. This thread and its longevity is proof positive that the 2nd method often fails badly.
    Here's a case in point. Remember this Financial Post article called "The Buy-Apple Inc, Sell-BlackBerry Ltd trade has flipped"? It was from Feb 25, 2014, and reposted several times on these forums and was widely cheered. It's interesting to read it again with a year's perspective.

The Buy-Apple Inc, Sell-BlackBerry Ltd trade has flipped | Financial Post

Well, since the article was published:
    BBRY down 0.46%
    AAPL up 64.54%
    sati01 likes this.
    02-11-15 12:42 PM
    I have noticed over the years that the worst investments I have ever made have been on the advice of others and the best investments I've ever made were on a gut feeling, against the advice of others. I get a lot of advice to sell BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 12:56 PM
    The goal of investment is to make a return. Buy low and sell higher. Stocks, real estate, collectibles... whatever

If you think Apple stock price is low and there's lots of room for growth, then go for it.

Imo, Blackberry is low, reaaaallly low and there is a lot of potential. That's why I invest.

Which company is more likely to double? I'd say it's the one that has been fighting harder.

Posted via CB10
    Mr BBRY, bungaboy, lech31 and 5 others like this.
    02-11-15 01:08 PM
    For our Spanish speaking friends...

Out two days ago:

And two weeks ago:

02-11-15 01:18 PM
    I thought a wise trader always wants to hear the bullish and bearish cases for all of his holdings instead of an echo chamber.
    Of course we like to hear all cases (that is why I like the forum very much) as it discusses many aspects and does present wise info.

I also like facts. So if you have some, then it would be nice to hear your input.

Personally, I like that the stock (bb.to) has doubled since JC came on board.

Don't think AAPL has achieved the same gain in that time frame. Have they?

Like I mentioned earlier, based on the reports that I have come across, don't see AAPL achieving the same gains as BB going forward. The potential for a BBRY gain is A LOT greater than AAPL imo.

Also, last time I checked, it was a forum on CB called "I support BBRY and I buy shares !", not an "echo chamber" as you put it.
    02-11-15 01:18 PM
    For years this board has had people calling Apple at a top and bbry a bottom and a much better opportunity. The reality has proven otherwise. Many people look for a home run turn around stories and think they have the ability to call tops by shorting the most profitable companies on earth. I learned that failed lesson a long time ago. Buy strength and accept small repeatable gains and rid yourself of the idea of finding diamonds in the rough to get rich. This thread and its longevity is proof positive that the 2nd method often fails badly.
    Well, if that's the case, in your opinion, I guess there is no further need for your "tidbits of information" in here. Is there?
    theRock1975, 3MIKE, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    02-11-15 01:23 PM
    Let's not be ********. Apple is obviously a better company than BlackBerry. What we hope is that BlackBerry will BECOME a better company than Apple perhaps, but even if you don't like any of the Apple products (I've never owned a single Apple product myself), I'm willing to admit that Apple are a brilliant company, a brilliant brand, full of very talented people. Self-delusion is dangerous. Let's just be honest while hoping BlackBerry can be a monster again.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 01:26 PM
    The blind faith of followers will make a leader wealthier on the backs of those seeking guidance.

Posted via CB10
    Mr BBRY likes this.
    02-11-15 01:30 PM
    I also like facts. So if you have some, then it would be nice to hear your input.

Here is a rather easy fact to check. Since Chen came on board, the stock has increased by 26%. Doubling the stock would of course mean in increase of 100%. Big difference.

Also, last time I checked, it was a forum on CB called "I support BBRY and I buy shares !", not an "echo chamber" as you put it.

An echo chamber is "a situation in which information, ideas, or beliefs are amplified or reinforced by transmission and repetition inside an "enclosed" system, where different or competing views are censored or disallowed." In this thread, opinions contrary to "supporting BBRY and buying shares" are unwelcome to say the least. I would say this fits the definition of echo chamber quite nicely.
    Last edited by notfanboy; 02-11-15 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Made a mistake in the numbers, corrected info is a few posts below. Sorry.
    02-11-15 01:31 PM

Don't think AAPL has achieved the same gain in that time frame. Have they?
    As a matter of fact they have. AAPL has achieved a greater gain in that time frame. Where BBRY has increased by 26%, AAPL has increased by 67%.
    02-11-15 01:34 PM
    What happened to this thread....it got switched to iMore..... A pox on Apple!
    02-11-15 01:47 PM
    As a matter of fact they have. AAPL has achieved a greater gain in that time frame. Where BBRY has increased by 26%, AAPL has increased by 67%.
    Must be looking at 2 different data sets.

The info I see when JC took over, about 14-15 months ago, BB.to stock was in the low $6 range.
    Today it is in the low to mid $12 range...........

Don't think AAPL had that great of a run in that time, did they?

Thanks for posting the definition of "echo chamber !!
    Still don't think (or the point) applies, but what do I know.
    awindsr, 3MIKE, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    02-11-15 01:55 PM
    You are correct, BBhombre. Reality is, AAPL's stock performance is kicking the living cr*p out of BBRY....right now. No one here can dispute that. Yes, AAPL is the safe and risk adverse bet that is much more likely to product repeatable gains. And yes, BBRY is the long shot diamond in the rough stock. But as we watch BBRY mature and right size as a company, we are given piece after piece of viable confirmation that demonstrate that BBRY actually has a strong possibility to become a profitable company again. With each passing quarter that BBRY shows they can maintain their cash pile, that long shot becomes more of a realistic goal. My point is, be careful about calling a victory (or failure). Your perspective of time may be different than everyone else here.

One of the biggest factors that attracted me to BBRY was how much pessimism was baked into the SP. We've been hovering around the price of a failing company for years now, and the longer BlackBerry goes without failure, the better the chances for success. Whether or not they will grow to their prior highs or compete with the likes of Apple or Google or Windows is another conversation. This play has now become about survival and carving out just one niche as a foundation to its recovery. That doesn't sound like a home run to me.

On the flip side, calling the top for AAPL is the same level of risk as calling BBRY's bottom. It is going against the grain of all of the evidence in our faces to put your neck out there to say that things can't continue in the same direction forever and therefore predicting a change. It is not easy. Timing it is near impossible. But for those willing to take the risk, there is a potential for a huge return by investing with a contrarian point of view. AAPL is a great example of that, since there was a time when they were scraping bottom too. I invest looking for history to repeat itself with another company. When that happens, I'd expect AAPL to be in decline due to someone or something disrupting the success that brought AAPL to the top. Like I've said, I placed my bet and am willing to sit on the sidelines for quite some time to let the winds of change run their course.

End of rant. I hope this makes sense to some of you. Thank you to all for the great conversation today. Cheers!
    02-11-15 02:12 PM
    Must be looking at 2 different data sets.

The info I see when JC took over, about 14-15 months ago, BB.to stock was in the low $6 range.
    Today it is in the low to mid $12 range...........

Don't think AAPL had that great of a run in that time, did they?
    They did.
    But - I made a typo earlier and I put in a wrong date for when Chen was appointed executive chairman of the board and interim CEO. My mistake.

The date when Chen took over was Nov 4th, 2013. According to NASDAQ, BBRY was at trading at 6.50. AAPL was trading at 75.25.
    Today as I type this, BBRY is at 9.83, while AAPL is at 124.63

That's a 51.2% increase for BBRY compared to a 65.6% for AAPL.

What dataset are you looking at? I'd appreciate if you could share the data you're using.
    randall2580 and app_Developer like this.
    02-11-15 02:16 PM
    On November 4, 2013 the day John Chen was announced BBRY closed at US$6.50/AAPL at US$75.25. As I write this BBRY is at US$9.84 a gain of 51.38%, AAPL is US$124.54 a gain of 65.50%. I'll take either one in my bank account thank you.

I continue to be puzzled why both companies cannot succeed really as they compete in different arenas?
    02-11-15 02:18 PM
    the BB.TO stock that I mentioned in that post.
    02-11-15 02:25 PM
    A bit more on yesterday's nomination:
    New BlackBerry CSO Calls Security 'War of Good vs. Evil' | CIO

The new CSO will report to Jim Mackey, BlackBerry's executive vice president, executive operations.
    From Kleidermacher's LinkedIn page:

"I believe that security (and computer security, in particular) is one of the most important challenges facing the world (certainly the technology world) and is quite literally a war of good versus evil that deserves the attention and energy of our best and brightest."
    02-11-15 02:26 PM
    There are stocks that have outperformed both BBRY and AAPL....so what are we debating?

This thread is about BBRY last I checked.

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    CDM76, rarsen, BanffMoose and 6 others like this.
    02-11-15 02:28 PM
    imore is only a click away....why do the same characters start the same argument over and over again every few months? Surely you have better things to do than defend Apple in a Blackberry forum...In related news I hear the gas prices are pretty low in Krasnoyarsk today.
    ibpluto, bungaboy and lcjr like this.
    02-11-15 02:36 PM
    On November 4, 2013 the day John Chen was announced BBRY closed at US$6.50/AAPL at US$75.25. As I write this BBRY is at US$9.84 a gain of 51.38%, AAPL is US$124.54 a gain of 65.50%.

I'll take either one in my bank account thank you.
    The reason that BBRY looks decent in that comparison is that the date is rather cherry picked. If you choose practically any other date, the comparison is much more in favor of Apple. The reason why BBRY supporters like to choose that date as a starting point is the following: the stock was near historic lows, the company for-sale sign was just taken off, and of course the change of leadership from Heins to Chen.

For example, if we choose the date when Tim Cook became CEO, we're looking at a -66% LOSS for BBRY compared to a 128% GAIN for AAPL.

Instead of cherry picking dates, which will lead nowhere, a more scientific approach is to see how the stock performs across different investment timeframes. If you do this, you will see that for the vast majority of starting dates you pick, there is a tremendous disparity where BBRY doesn't look so good.

I do agree that the comparison to AAPL is unfair. A better comparison would be to say, a technology index fund. But here again, you fill find that for most investment timeframes that you choose, the index fund is a better investment.
    sati01 likes this.
    02-11-15 02:39 PM
    the BB.TO stock that I mentioned in that post.
    Please post the numbers like I did, so we can compare facts. Since we are debating something that can be cleared up by data, you should post your data.
    02-11-15 02:40 PM
    Thank goodness the facts are here (you) to set these dreamers straight, am I right? LOL

Let's look at the two companies since Apple decided to launch its famous iPhone 5!!! I have a chart of both stocks from that fateful day, Sept. 12th 2012. As you can see, Apple stock was flying high as they brought to the world the best phone ever to be made for human consumption:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-aapl-bbry-comp-2-half-years.png

As you can plainly see, AAPL was above $ 700 and BBRY was getting crushed by the world famous brand. Then, as expected, AAPL stock doubled, or was it tripled, no wait a minute, AAPL stock dropped from $ 700 to a lowly $ 380 because investors just didn't understand how great a company it really was, I guess. But at least BBRY went bankrupt, right? Oh wait a darn minute, again, that's the stock at actually tripled!! What? How is it possible that the greatest investment on the planet could drop so low striking fear in every investor, so misunderstood it was, while the worst company on the planet was up 300%? Any ideas? (That was a rhetorical question)

Okay, that's a fluke, BBRY out performed AAPL for almost a year before someone decided that AAPL needed another chance here. I personally was totally surprised when my pairs trade, short AAPL, long BBRY worked out because I must have been guessing when I realized that the iPhone 5 sucked. Let's get back to the charts as we all know that AAPL will reign again won't they? LOL

So both companies trade sideways with lots of volatility and then finally AAPL starts to repair itself by declaring that it will buy its own stock if no one else will, that started a rally didn't it! So lets' fast forward to 2014, AAPL gained, BBRY gained, who gained more? BBRY went from $ 6.00 to $ 10.75/shr, a 79% gain, but ..... AAPL went from $ 75.00 to $ 112.00, or a 49% gain. What? Did BBRY out perform AAPL again? Yeah.

But surely, AAPL out performed BBRY in 2015? Please be true, please be true, please be true ...!!! Well, BBRY went from $ 10.75/shr to $ 12.80 ($ 13.25/shr in AH) a gain of 19% while AAPL went from $ 112.00 to $ 124.00 or a huge gain of 10.7%. What? Are you telling me that BBRY shareholders are the winners here since the very day that Apple launched that breath-taking iPhone5 back in 2012? Hmmmn?

I wonder who the dreamer is here after all. No need to thank me for this work.
    02-11-15 02:41 PM
    General Interest item, even to the Wall-Huggers who seem to be quite numerous reading this site:

Six tips for getting the most from your rechargeable batteries | ZDNet
    02-11-15 02:42 PM
    [

Let's look at the two companies since Apple decided to launch its famous iPhone 5!!! I have a chart of both stocks from that fateful day, Sept. 12th 2012.
    Now here's another great example of cherry picking a date. As I noted earlier, you can prove anything cherry picking.

A far better approach is to compare performance across all the investment timeframes. This is really basic stuff, which anyone who has looked at a fund prospectus knows.

But don't take my word for it. There are tools at Yahoo! Finance or Google Finance where you can see for yourself, It is easy enough to compare different timeframes, moving the start date around, and see how BBRY, AAPL, and the NASDAQ index charts behave side by side.
    02-11-15 02:50 PM
113,250 ... 31923193319431953196 ...