Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    OT: Security Related

Samsung Slammed on Voice Data Collection

I haven't had a chance to view the link but I read some post of the privacy notice either here or elsewhere. I don't get what the hoopla is all about. If anything Samsung should be commended for being truthful and upfront. If you have a system that responds to voice commands then yes expect the device to be constantly listening for commands to "TV turn on". So while off, the system is still listening to all sounds waiting to hear "TV turn on".

Are users required to hit a button on Android or iOS phones before they say "OK Google" or "Siri" whatever ? If not, then yeah, expect the device to process all sounds it hears. Doesn't surprise me that these devices don't have the processing power or ability to process ALL vocal commands without the use of a server out in the cloud.

Even BlackBerry Assistant sends our voice commands and requests to the cloud for processing. At least we have to hit a button before it starts listening. (at least I hope there is no back door to this function.)

Ps. Weren't there posts of organizations able to enable laptop video cameras to turn on and transmit video without a notification light? Do people who buy TV's with video cameras honestly think there is no way to remotely turn their TV cameras on and view whatever the camera can see?

This is a case of an honest company being nailed to the cross for being honest. Guess what tv manufacturer #2 is going to do? Lie to us.
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-11-15 08:22 AM
    Agree 100%.
    In related news I downloaded TicketMaster app onto my Classic to buy some tickets to a show yesterday. I also use a security app called Privacy App...it notifies me of suspicious permissions asked from any app on my device. Well it freaked out at TM permission asks...they wanted access to absolutely everything...Privacy App alerted and allowed me to modify TM access permissions all from an easy UI.

Info is the new money...why they all need access to everything is ridiculous and greedy...at best.

Classically Posted.
    Could you provide a link to the Privacy App in BBW? I searched and couldn't find it. Thanks!

Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Classic or Passport???
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-11-15 08:31 AM
    I haven't had a chance to view the link but I read some post of the privacy notice either here or elsewhere. I don't get what the hoopla is all about. If anything Samsung should be commended for being truthful and upfront. If you have a system that responds to voice commands then yes expect the device to be constantly listening for commands to "TV turn on". So while off, the system is still listening to all sounds waiting to hear "TV turn on".

Are users required to hit a button on Android or iOS phones before they say "OK Google" or "Siri" whatever ? If not, then yeah, expect the device to process all sounds it hears. Doesn't surprise me that these devices don't have the processing power or ability to process ALL vocal commands without the use of a server out in the cloud.

Even BlackBerry Assistant sends our voice commands and requests to the cloud for processing. At least we have to hit a button before it starts listening. (at least I hope there is no back door to this function.)

Ps. Weren't there posts of organizations able to enable laptop video cameras to turn on and transmit video without a notification light? Do people who buy TV's with video cameras honestly think there is no way to remotely turn their TV cameras on and view whatever the camera can see?

This is a case of an honest company being nailed to the cross for being honest. Guess what tv manufacturer #2 is going to do? Lie to us.
    Agree in principal but...debate has to begin somewhere and Sammy bears the cross on this one unfortunately.

Classically Posted.
    02-11-15 08:31 AM
    Could you provide a link to the Privacy App in BBW? I searched and couldn't find it. Thanks!

Funny enough, it's not a built for BB app:
    http://www.snoopwall.com/snoopwall-privacy-app/

I used Snap to grab it.

Classically Posted.
    rarsen, bungaboy and morganplus8 like this.
    02-11-15 08:36 AM
    Since things are so quiet on the BBRY front, we can talk about the accolades of AAPL and its $710B market cap like every media outlet seems to love to do. Everything I hear and read these days portrays AAPL as bulletproof. In my opinion, their products are just 'meh', yet everyone is gaga over them. Maybe I just don't get it, but I don't see them continuing up forever. I'm not sure whats more frustrating, the fact that BBRY's share price is stuck at is 200-DMA or that my short bet on AAPL is in the red. Even though AAPL and BBRY are not even playing in the same game (they are in entirely different sports), I can't help but pair my long BBRY bet with a fine side of AAPL short. Anyhow, I'm going to just sit here and stick to my long term thesis and hopefully eventually I can say I was right. I can't believe how long I have been saying that line and I wonder how much longer I / we'll have to say it. With the recent drop in BBRY short numbers, I have a good feeling that time is coming soon. We shall see. In the end, the truth shall prevail. Sounds dramatic, but it applies. Have a great day, gang!
    Well, you and I agree on that! I can't stand Apple products and don't understand why anyone would want to own anything they produce. They have the worst OS experience I have ever encountered, their products are thin but clunky and the fact that they police every input into the device that you make is just illegal to me. I use their latest tablet every day and it stinks, I haven't upgraded the OS for the past two rounds because it stinks so bad now. With that poor experience in mind, I have shorted the stock on every rally.

Where's the innovation? A larger phone with old technology is innovation? Right now, as long as they are borrowing money to buy back shares, the stock will be supported by major players. As soon as that source of support disappears, the stock will fall hard. When 2/3's of your cash is in foreign locations and you don't know how to invest any of it while you live in fear of taxation, something has to give. They aren't much of a company when they are borrowing to buy back stock, that's not a good reason to carry debt in my estimation.

I would much rather wait for BB to turn around versus investing in a play like AAPL with all of its weaknesses.
    02-11-15 08:43 AM
    [QUOTE=bungaboy;11342825]Hackers can easily control gas, brake pedals or steal personal data: report

It won't be long with self driving cars, if you don't take care of your monthly payments, the next morning your car will have left without you...to the dealer ! Ha!
    02-11-15 08:46 AM
    Funny enough, it's not a built for BB app:
    http://www.snoopwall.com/snoopwall-privacy-app/

I used Snap to grab it.

Classically Posted.
    Aaaah thank you!

02-11-15 09:02 AM
    For those that are bashing Apple as a worse investment than bbry I have to wonder if you even bother reading earnings reports or you invest only on emotion and device preferences of your immediate peers.
    sati01 likes this.
    02-11-15 09:10 AM
    For those that are bashing Apple as a worse investment than bbry I have to wonder if you even bother reading earnings reports or you invest only on emotion and device preferences of your immediate peers.
    We're not bashing APPLE !...
    95aero and bungaboy like this.
    02-11-15 09:29 AM
    [QUOTE=3MIKE;11343022]
    Hackers can easily control gas, brake pedals or steal personal data: report

It won't be long with self driving cars, if you don't take care of your monthly payments, the next morning your car will have left without you...to the dealer ! Ha!
    Damn....there goes my "repo" business

Posted by my fabulous Passport
    02-11-15 09:35 AM
    Based on the reports that I have come across, the potential for a BBRY gain is A LOT greater than AAPL imo.

Are you saying that investing in AAPL is better than investing in BBRY?
    02-11-15 09:48 AM
    Based on the reports that I have come across, the potential for a BBRY gain is A LOT greater than AAPL imo.

Are you saying that investing in AAPL is better than investing in BBRY?
    Thanks, B2B! You said it for me. I'm not saying BBRY is a better company than AAPL. I'm saying as an investor, I like my chances of betting on BBRY @ $5.1B vs AAPL @ $721B.
    02-11-15 10:00 AM
    I think that anyone with a high school education could read an earnings report, but it needs skill and vision to see beyond that.
    02-11-15 10:14 AM
    I think that anyone with a high school education could read an earnings report, but it needs skill and vision to see beyond that.
    This. It is incredibly easy to manipulate an ER to show what you want it to show, too. There's way more significant ways to show potential and results in a company.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 10:21 AM
    Apple Inc. has completed its first Swiss-franc bond sale, taking advantage of the country’s record-low borrowing costs but still offering a positive yield.

The company raised 1.25 billion Swiss francs ($1.35 billion) from the sale on Tuesday, according to one of the banks running the deal. An 875 million Swiss franc bond due to mature in November 2024 will pay investors a yield of 0.281% and a 375 million franc 15-year bond will pay a yield of 0.74%.
    If a company can issue bonds at that low yield then the cash is practically being offered to them to use for free for the next 10-15 years.
    Eumaeus and One Missed Call like this.
    02-11-15 10:31 AM
    *ollocks to Apple!
    02-11-15 10:39 AM
    Although I shudder to think of a world dominated by just 2 behemoth smartphone companies, even more frightening is that we live in a world where so many people appear to reward these companies which (IMO) manufacture less innovative products (possibly) for the sake of blindly following the masses and propel them to their success.

On that note, I miss HDDVD. :-)
    Last edited by One Missed Call; 02-11-15 at 11:47 AM.
    02-11-15 11:31 AM

BlackBerry stock outperformed Apple this year.

end. /
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-11-15 11:47 AM
    This. It is incredibly easy to manipulate an ER to show what you want it to show, too. There's way more significant ways to show potential and results in a company.

Posted via CB10
    Yes. With the endless coffers that Apple has, it would not be difficult to, let's say, tip the hat in their direction.
    02-11-15 11:50 AM
    Although I shudder to think of a world dominated by just 2 behemoth smartphone companies, even more frightening is that we live in a world where so many people appear to reward these companies which (IMO) manufacture less innovative products (possibly) for the sake of blindly following the masses and propel them to their success.

On that note, I miss HDDVD. :-)
    There are still four main players:

Apple, Android variants, BlackBerry and Windows phone.

Plenty of folks around the globe have one of the last two.

Funny thing is that if I did not favor BlackBerry, I most likely would use Windows phone.
    georg4BB and bungaboy like this.
    02-11-15 11:54 AM
    For years this board has had people calling Apple at a top and bbry a bottom and a much better opportunity. The reality has proven otherwise. Many people look for a home run turn around stories and think they have the ability to call tops by shorting the most profitable companies on earth. I learned that failed lesson a long time ago. Buy strength and accept small repeatable gains and rid yourself of the idea of finding diamonds in the rough to get rich. This thread and its longevity is proof positive that the 2nd method often fails badly.
    02-11-15 12:06 PM
    BlackBerry stock outperformed Apple this year.

end. /
    Really?

YTD
    BBRY up 0.8%
    AAPL up 12.3%

1 Year chart
    BBRY down 0.15%
    AAPL up 62%
    sati01 and Eumaeus like this.
    02-11-15 12:13 PM
    For years this board has had people calling Apple at a top and bbry a bottom and a much better opportunity. The reality has proven otherwise. Many people look for a home run turn around stories and think they have the ability to call tops by shorting the most profitable companies on earth. I learned that failed lesson a long time ago. Buy strength and accept small repeatable gains and rid yourself of the idea of finding diamonds in the rough to get rich. This thread and its longevity is proof positive that the 2nd method often fails badly.
    so.......why are you posting in this forum then?
    02-11-15 12:16 PM
    so.......why are you posting in this forum then?
    He came to save us all from ourselves.
    Andy_bb_king and bungaboy like this.
    02-11-15 12:17 PM
    I thought a wise trader always wants to hear the bullish and bearish cases for all of his holdings instead of an echo chamber.
    02-11-15 12:27 PM
113,256 ... 31913192319331943195 ...