View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I think this is a
    Last edited by notafanofyou; 02-09-15 at 06:53 PM.
    02-09-15 06:41 PM
    I think this is a
    I was wondering about that as well. LoL
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    02-10-15 05:53 AM
    On my flight from Toronto to Orlando today I saw two other Passports....the BlackBerry ones

Posted from my PassPort
    On my flight from niagara falls to orlando last week I saw another passport

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 06:02 AM
    On my flight from niagara falls to orlando last week I saw another passport

Posted via CB10
    What are the odds that the very few people who participate in this thread keep running into each other... since we are the only ones who actually own BlackBerry Passports of course...
    02-10-15 07:00 AM
    Counting devices you see in public is a good and surprisingly accurate way of measuring sales, but we are still talking about very few, aren't we? Otherwise, we wouldn't be so excited to spot one lol. I've seen three Passports in 'the wild', and felt all giddy inside as though I'd seen a spotted owl or a unicorn or something. Still no BlackBerry phone visible in most stores at the moment though, so we probably shouldn't expect too much.

Posted via CB10
    Mr BBRY likes this.
    02-10-15 07:06 AM
    Introducing BlackBerry?s New Chief Security Officer, David Kleidermacher | Inside BlackBerry

BlackBerry announced today that David Kleidermacher (right) has joined us as our new Chief Security Officer.

David’s security expertise is considerable, spanning more than 20 years in strategy and product engineering focused on operating systems, high assurance software development techniques, mobile device security and the Internet of Things (IoT). He literally wrote the book on security for embedded systems: Embedded Systems Security: Practical Methods for Safe and Secure Software and Systems Development. He’s also authored articles and whitepapers on everything from bringing mobile devices up to military spec to connected cars.

David comes to BlackBerry from Green Hills Software where he was Chief Technology Officer. During his time at Green Hills, he led the team that developed the company’s market-leading INTEGRITY high reliability real-time operating system. INTEGRITY was certified by the NSA at EAL6+ High Robustness Common Criteria SKPP — the highest security level ever achieved for an operating system. It was also certified by the FAA.

In other words, David knows security.

As our CEO and Executive Chairman John Chen said, “David is an outstanding addition to our best-in-class security team, and he will help extend BlackBerry’s gold standard of security as we work with customers to meet new cybersecurity challenges. In particular, David’s knowledge of securing the Internet of Things and embedded systems will be invaluable as we execute on our strategy and continue to expand our management of the world’s mobile endpoints.”

That matters to BlackBerry; we have a long-standing commitment to advancing mobile security and protecting customer data and privacy. In fact, we have more than 70 government certifications and approvals — more than any other vendor. And, we’re the only provider to offer encrypted voice, text and messaging.

David will be instrumental in maintaining and elevating BlackBerry’s gold standard in security and will take our best practices, experience and technologies to advance the BlackBerry IoT Platform to scale to the level of security that the Internet of Things demands.

“If you think we have a big security problem with a billion smartphones, think what will happen when we have a trillion autonomous objects,” David said. “I think BlackBerry is uniquely positioned to meet this challenge head on and I’m excited to be part of it.”

As CSO, David leads our Global Product Security organization, which is responsible for efforts including security-specific research and product development, and BlackBerry’s product certification and approval program.

Welcome David!
    Last edited by Corbu; 02-10-15 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Added text
    02-10-15 07:25 AM
    BlackBerry Hires New Security Chief - WSJ
    Smartphone Maker Aims to Strengthen Development of Mobile Security Technology

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bn-gw854_0210bl_m_20150210074009.jpg

The BlackBerry Passport smartphone; BlackBerry is betting on its traditional strength developing secure mobile security software and devices that emphasize worker productivity to woo back its traditional enterprise customers.

By BEN DUMMETT
    Feb. 10, 2015 7:59 a.m. ET

TORONTO— BlackBerry Ltd. Tuesday said it hired a new chief security officer, strengthening the smartphone-maker’s focus on developing mobile security technology.

David Kleidermacher will oversee development of security features for BlackBerry devices, mobile device security software and other products, as well as spearhead research and development aimed at preventing security breaches at a time when enterprise employees increasingly access and transmit data over their smartphones.

Mr. Kleidermacher joins the Waterloo, Ontario-based company from Green Hills Software, where he was chief technology officer. Green Hills, a closely held developer of embedded software based in Santa Barbara, Calif., targets many of the same security-conscious customers as BlackBerry, including the military, medical, industrial and automotive sectors.

“We have to be able to raise the level of assurance so that...we can actually prevent attacks instead of just always responding or reacting to them,” Mr. Kleidermacher said in a phone interview.

His hiring comes after BlackBerry’s senior vice president for security, Scott Totzke, left the company last summer. Mr. Totzke is now senior vice president, device and enterprise security, at Huawei Technologies Co., a rival smartphone maker.

It is also BlackBerry’s second high-profile hire since October. That is when Travis Angle joined from Apple Inc. to head development of companion products.

After a failed comeback attempt in the consumer market in 2013, BlackBerry is betting on its traditional strength developing secure mobile security software and devices that emphasize worker productivity to woo back its traditional enterprise customers. In November, BlackBerry launched a new security software that companies use to oversee employee devices on their corporate networks. It has also introduced two smartphones over the last five months aimed at professionals and other government and corporate users, and next month it is expected to outline its device plans for 2015.

A big part of Mr. Kleidermacher’s job will be to focus on helping BlackBerry take advantage of the expected growth in companies using secure mobile technology for data collection, record maintenance and smartphone-device management to cut costs and operate more efficiently.

BlackBerry’s “Internet of Things” strategy centers on its QNX operating system, which is used by many of the world’s major automobile makers to power their in-car infotainment systems, and the company’s secure network and device-management software. BlackBerry aims to extend the reach of this technology to the medical industry to capture and transmit medical data between doctors and patients.

Similarly, BlackBerry expects the shipping industry to use its Internet of Things technology to track cargo shipments, while betting the automotive industry will use the technology to allow drivers to remotely control Internet-enabled electronic devices in their homes.

Mr. Kleidermacher’s “knowledge of securing the Internet of Things and embedded systems will be invaluable as we execute on our strategy,” BlackBerry Chief Executive John Chen said in a statement.
    A better job by the WSJ, and a Passport pic to boot!
    Mr BBRY, bungaboy, CDM76 and 10 others like this.
    02-10-15 07:33 AM
    David gave up a good position to join BlackBerry. I think that speaks volumes

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 07:57 AM
    David Kleidermacher has a very, very impressive track record.
    02-10-15 08:15 AM
    From the WSJ piece, above:

It is also BlackBerry’s second high-profile hire since October. That is when Travis Angle joined from Apple Inc. to head development of companion products.
    I don't recall that one. News to me!
    02-10-15 08:27 AM
    I posted this link the other day:
    QNX Auto Blog: QNX-powered Audi Virtual Cockpit shortlisted for MWC?s Global Mobile Awards

It had to do with the Audi 2015 TT’s virtual cockpit, a beautiful piece of work:
    First fully digital dashboard

Now, can one assume that the 2016 Audi TT's virtual cockpit is a newer iteration of the QNX-powered Audi virtual cockpit of the 2015 Audi TT?

I have searched everywhere and believe one can reasonably assume so. Too bad, that information isn't readily available through QNX, Audi, etc. Let's hope things improve in terms of QNX's visibility, in the future...

Supposing it is, I believe one of the G&M's journalists - granted, he does not write for the Business section - may have just been complimentary to BlackBerry's technology, something that doesn't happen too often, as we all know. He probably did not know where the technology came from...

Review: 2016 Audi TT has a cool factor that outdoes sporting thrills - The Globe and Mail

In keeping with the TT’s reputation for style and interior innovation, it’s available with a high-tech virtual cockpit that not only replaces the gauges in front of the driver with a high-definition digital screen, but also incorporates the navigation system, infotainment displays and radio station presets within that same large digital cluster. It’s a beautiful feature, its 800 candelas about twice the luminosity as regular screens, says Audi. The display is nicely framed through the steering wheel for the driver, visible yet notably far from the passenger.

[…]

Technology: The eye-popping virtual cockpit option allows the GPS map, stereo functions and a host of warning messages to wrap around – or replace – the digital dials.
    More info here:

First drive: 2016 Audi TT and TTS | Digital Trends

Virtual cockpit

No matter which model buyers choose, TT or TTS, they’re treated to a suite of cutting-edge infotainment technology in the form of Audi’s new “Virtual Cockpit.”

With1440 x 540 pixels, the virtual cockpit can display crisp 3D graphics with astonishing speed – up to 60 frames per second, thanks to it the Tegra 3 Series processor by Nvidia.

In the dashboard of the Lamborghini Huracan, the virtual cockpit’s graphics are used to accurately display mind-melting acceleration. In the TT, however, it’s used to safely display vehicle data, navigation, and infotainment all in the same screen all at once. Don’t worry; the passenger can see the screen from their seat just fine.

The concept behind the virtual cockpit was to eliminate distracted driving as much as possible, without depriving occupants of modern motoring essentials. Placing everything in front of the driver keeps his or her eyes from leaving the road for very long. At first glance, the thing seems cluttered and complicated. After a few minutes, however, the system proves itself exceptionally intuitive in addition to graphically stunning.

Drivers can operate the system through either a scroll wheel on the center console, or through steering wheel-mounted controls. Drivers will likely prefer the buttons on the steering wheel for operation; but the center scroll wheel gives front passenger the chance to do some infotaining as well.

Pushing the “view” button backs the instrumentation by the navigation screen, which can be viewed in an array of setups, from 2D bird’s eye to 3D Google Earth.

Should drivers feel extra sporty, Audi also includes a “Sport” layout, which places a large tachometer at the center of the screen with other pertinent information around it, including fuel consumption and turbo boost.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-2016-audi-tt-dash-cluster-1500x1000.jpg

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-2016-audi-tt-spedometer-1500x1000.jpg

Now, I hope my assumption is right... if not, my apologies to all!

Sorry for the long, slightly OT, post.
    02-10-15 09:13 AM
    From the WSJ piece, above:

I don't recall that one. News to me!
    Yeah. Are they referring to a much older recruitment

#BBFactCheck
    02-10-15 09:52 AM
    FWIW:
    More than half of emails in the UK opened on an Apple device | ITProPortal.com

Blackberry showed a steady increase of 20 per cent year-on-year, which SendGrid suggests might be due to the company’s renewed interest in privacy.
    02-10-15 09:54 AM
    02-10-15 10:02 AM
    Looks like the shorts are back on the stock
    02-10-15 10:16 AM
    Someone should keep a record of how often the shorts have been right/wrong. That would be valuable.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 10:37 AM
    20% increase in emails checked on a blackberry?! that's an awesome sign, is it not?
    02-10-15 11:01 AM
    20% increase in emails checked on a blackberry?! that's an awesome sign, is it not?
    Sounds like an increase in people being Powered by BlackBerry and Work(ing) Wide! Your (their) Power. Upgraded.

I like it!

Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Classic or Passport???
    02-10-15 11:13 AM
    02-10-15 11:21 AM
    02-10-15 11:46 AM
    02-10-15 11:50 AM
    Try this while you are waiting
    Microsoft selling $10.75 billion of new bonds
    _dimi_, Corbu, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    02-10-15 12:24 PM
    Intel Security Executive: ?Weakest Link Today is Mobile? - Risk & Compliance - WSJ

Intel Security Executive: ‘Weakest Link Today is Mobile’

I don't have access to the body..
    Corbu, bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    02-10-15 01:00 PM
    Thanks Corbu for the never ending flow of interesting articles !
    02-10-15 01:05 PM
    On the IOT front::

But as The Daily Beast first reported, one line buried in the South Korean company's privacy policy states that viewers should be aware that "personal or other sensitive" conversations "will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party" through the voice-recognition technology.

Samsung SmartTV an 'absurd' privacy intruder, Ann Cavoukian says:

Samsung SmartTV an 'absurd' privacy intruder, Ann Cavoukian says - Technology & Science - CBC News
    02-10-15 01:07 PM
113,256 ... 31893190319131923193 ...