View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Anyone have a chart of the history of shares shorted for BlackBerry? I'd like to see the overall trend.

Posted via CB10
    Only one year but ...
    BlackBerry Limited (BBRY) Short Interest - NASDAQ.com

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png

BTW, anyone to explain in simple words what "days to cover" means and how we should (or not) take it in consideration ? Thanks in advance gang !
    01-30-15 07:41 AM
    Days To Cover Definition | Investopedia

DEFINITION OF 'DAYS TO COVER'
    A measurement of a company's issued shares that are currently shorted, expressed as the number of days required to close out all of the short positions. For example, if a company has average daily volume of 1 million shares and 2 million shares are currently short sold, the shares have a cover rate of 2 days (2M/1M).

This ratio is somewhat unique because it measures the future buying pressure on a stock that is virtually certain to happen - short sellers must buy back shares at some point if they are to close out their positions.

If a stock's price begins to rise significantly, investors who have short sold the stock will quickly begin to close out their positions (by purchasing shares off the open market), creating buying pressure for the stock and driving the price up even more. If a previously lagging stock turns very bullish, the buying action of short sellers can result in extra upward momentum and increased losses for short sellers who are slow to close out their positions. The longer the days to cover, the more pronounced this effect can be.
    01-30-15 07:52 AM
    Reading material

Pulse
    Frazer Hudson & Rob Carr/ Getty Images and LinkedIn

John ChenInfluencer
    Executive Chairman and CEO at BlackBerry
    Follow
    Encryption Needn't Be An Either/Or Choice Between Privacy and National Security
    Jan 21, 2015
    7,638Views157Likes44Comments
    In the wake of the Paris terror attacks earlier this month, U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron proposed banning encrypted communications services such as those offered by Apple, Facebook and others. President Obama partially endorsed Prime Minister Cameron�s proposal a few days later, indicating he would support banning encrypted communications services that cannot be intercepted by law enforcement and national security agencies. While there is no publicly-available evidence that encrypted communications played any role in the Paris attacks, security officials say their ability to prevent future attacks will be hindered if terrorists are able to evade surveillance using encrypted communications and messaging services.

Privacy advocates have harshly criticized the Cameron-Obama proposals, arguing that encryption is a vital tool for protecting sensitive government, corporate and personal data from hacking and other forms of cyber theft. Following the recent spate of hacking attacks against Sony, Target, Home Depot, certain celebrity users of popular but hackable smartphones, and others, these advocates argue we need more, not less encryption. Further, they argue that banning encryption will not necessarily make it easier for security agencies to surveil terror plotters; after all, the terrorists will know they are being overheard and will simply communicate in new and ever-changing forms of coded language.

Reconciling these opposing perspectives on encryption requires a reasoned approach that balances legitimate national security concerns with legitimate cyber security concerns.

Privacy is Everyone�s Concern

Our dependence on computing devices for transmitting and storing sensitive personal information has become irreversible. Billions of items of personal information including health records, bank account records, social security numbers and private photographs reside on millions of computers and in the cloud. This information is transmitted via the internet every day. The same is true for highly confidential and proprietary business information. And of course no government or law enforcement agency could function without maintaining high levels of information security.

With so much information residing on computer networks and flowing through the internet, cyber security has emerged as one of society�s uppermost concerns. Protecting private and sensitive information from hacking, intrusion and exfiltration now commands the attention not just of computer professionals, but also heads of state, CEOs, Boards of Directors, small business owners, and every individual using a computer or smartphone, and even those who never use a computing device.

Modern forms of encrypting voice and data traffic provide the best protection for highly valuable and private personal, business and government information. Rendering data unreadable to the intruder greatly diminishes the incentive to hack or steal. Banning encryption, therefore, would dramatically increase the exposure of all such information to hacking and cyber theft. Clearly that is not a viable option.

Call of Duty

On the other hand, the same encryption technology that enables protection of sensitive data can also be abused by criminals and terrorists to evade legitimate government efforts to track their data and communications. Companies offering encrypted communications thus have a duty to comply with lawful requests to provide information to security agencies monitoring would-be terrorists. Companies like BlackBerry: We�ve supported FIPS 140-2 validated encryption in all of our devices for the past 10 years � longer than many of our competitors have been selling smartphones.

Depending on the particular technology involved, that information requested by law enforcement agencies might include the content of encrypted messages, but it may include other vital data such as user information, the dates and times the subscriber contacted other users, the length of such communications, the location of the user, and so forth. In many instances non-content user information can be even more important than the actual content itself, because such metadata can provide crucial leads and other vital intelligence to law enforcement and security agencies.

Let�s be clear: I am not advocating sharing data with governments for their ongoing data collection programs without a court order, subpoena or other lawful request. However, telecommunications companies, Internet Service Providers, and other players in the modern communications and messaging ecosystem need to take seriously their responsibility to comply and to facilitate compliance with reasonable and lawful requests for such information. Unfortunately, not all players in the industry view this issue the same way. Some Silicon Valley companies have publicly opposed government efforts to enable lawful surveillance and data gathering, even where lives may hang in the balance. These companies appear to be trying to position themselves as staunchly �pro-privacy,� without according sufficient weight to legitimate and reasonable governmental efforts to monitor and track would-be terrorists. Far from protecting privacy rights, this irresponsible approach risks providing ever stronger arguments to those who would subjugate all cyber privacy concerns to national security.

The answer, therefore, is not to ban encryption, because doing so would give hackers and cyber-criminals a windfall, making it much easier for them to mine billions of items of sensitive personal, business and government data. Instead, telecommunications and internet companies should cooperate with the reasonable and lawful efforts of governments to fight terrorism. That way we can help protect both privacy and lives.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-15 07:58 AM
    01-30-15 08:44 AM
    is this old news ?
    01-30-15 09:10 AM
    Only one year but ...
    BlackBerry Limited (BBRY) Short Interest - NASDAQ.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	1535 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	330663

BTW, anyone to explain in simple words what "days to cover" means and how we should (or not) take it in consideration ? Thanks in advance gang !
    Days to cover is literally the number of shares short divided by the average daily trade volume. For example if on average 20MM shares are traded a day (volume) and 100MM shares are short it would have a number of 5 days to cover, it may not be 5 days but that's what you come out with.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-30-15 09:14 AM
    has todays date and is from s. korea
    01-30-15 09:14 AM
    yes, I noticed that, but wondering if the article is reporting what already happened?
    01-30-15 09:20 AM
    This is a replication of an article written days ago. It is old news.
    Corbu, rarsen, morganplus8 and 5 others like this.
    01-30-15 09:21 AM
    This is a replication of an article written days ago. It is old news.
    We will find out today. Since it's Friday after all and those are in the business world would understand how important it is

#BBFactCheck
    01-30-15 09:25 AM
    We will find out today. Since it's Friday after all and those are in the business world would understand how important it is

#BBFactCheck
    It's Saturday in Korea.
    01-30-15 09:34 AM
    @Morgan

What do you think of tsla? I have been watching it for awhile but i couldn't understand why the shorts are still hanging on for that long and they are persistent!

#BBFactCheck
    I'm not at liberty to talk about the company's prospects right now but I can say that I do like what they are doing going forward several years. As for the technicals, this one has rolled over on the charts, it has a definite downtrend channel now and is working its way lower here. The shorts are in the drivers seat today with the 50-dma below the 200-dma and a well defined chart pattern sending the stock lower. I would buy a small amount of the stock, not everything, at $ 180.00/shr as my first entry point. On a TA basis it looks to be heading toward $ 160.00 in the next 3 months or so. It is possible that it finds support at $ 180.00 and bases out but you are buying against the trend at that level and hoping it's a bottom. GL
    01-30-15 09:35 AM
    OT on SPHS

Sophiris Bio to Present at the Leerink Global Healthcare Conference. The presentation is scheduled for Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 11:05 a.m. EST in New York City.
    Sophiris Bio to Present at the Leerink Global Healthcare Conference (NASDAQ:SPHS)
    Let’s see what Randall E. Woods has to say about the failed interim analysis and the Phase 2 proof of concept study of PRX302 for the treatment of localized prostate cancer.

P.S. Morgan do you have any thoughts about the company; I own shares because I like the management team and the potential treatment of localized prostate cancer but I find the one drug concept risky. Thank you.
    Thanks for posting that link. I don't know if the CEO will address the Phase II study in great detail during that event, I believe that any changes to his present program (which is to complete this study despite a recommendation to go no further), will be addressed in a news release or at a quarterly meeting to shareholders. Who knows? I own the stock, it is a call option on a great company figuring out how to gain the necessary dosage from a very expensive trial program. The sooner they can end that trail, or better yet, refine it to obtain favourable results, the better. I think they can figure out the correct dosage for a formal Phase IIB study without spending $ 30 MM. Many companies have gone through what SPHS is going through today, and they do come out the other side with the data they need. The stock is locked in its price range waiting to hear from him soon. You are right, this study is very risky as it is, they need to figure out how to achieve their endpoints at a much lower cost. The only way I can see it playing out well is if they modify the study, or cut if off much sooner than planned with enough data to give them a dosage level. ACAD did this, the stock got creamed but everyone who sold the stock for under a buck didn't realize they figured out the dosage needed to make the study a success, the rest is history. I'll be watching his every move carefully. GL
    Corbu, rarsen, vasilisiou and 8 others like this.
    01-30-15 10:03 AM
    01-30-15 10:04 AM
    yes, I noticed that, but wondering if the article is reporting what already happened?
    You mean what already didn't happen

SP says not news. Content is all old news.

About the author:
    Justin is an experienced business advisor. He is a motivational Writer/Author, which includes multiple topics on small start up businesses for stockpricediver.org.

.... yah right

Posted with my flash Passport
    01-30-15 10:10 AM
    Corbu!!

Thanks for the link, I tried to post to the Forbes article last night and the author pulled all of my comments. That clown should have compared the Passport to the iPhone 6 and then all of the numbers would have favoured BlackBerry. He made so many mistakes comparing the classic to the iPhone; you can read the comments from others, but even some of the Apple faithful made so many mistakes I had to say something.

iPhone 6 vs BlackBerry Classic Review: The Past And Future Smartphones Fight - Forbes

Hopefully some of us here read his appraisal of the Classic and set him straight. (I think I was even surprisingly polite too, yet, the bum pulled my comments)
    01-30-15 10:18 AM
    HALO OT ALERT!

Looks like Blackrock has now acquired 5.9% of HALO:

Halozyme Therapeutics - Investors - SEC Filings - SEC Fillings Details

News just hit the board. We are seeing the big names buy up the stock ahead of the shorts, nice.
    01-30-15 10:29 AM
    Corbu!!

Thanks for the link, I tried to post to the Forbes article last night and the author pulled all of my comments. That clown should have compared the Passport to the iPhone 6 and then all of the numbers would have favoured BlackBerry. He made so many mistakes comparing the classic to the iPhone; you can read the comments from others, but even some of the Apple faithful made so many mistakes I had to say something.

iPhone 6 vs BlackBerry Classic Review: The Past And Future Smartphones Fight - Forbes

Hopefully some of us here read his appraisal of the Classic and set him straight. (I think I was even surprisingly polite too, yet, the bum pulled my comments)
    Funny you should mention that link Morgan since I was about to post it last night after commenting about the G&M's latest superficial drive-by FUD spreading job... I actually wrote an entry but deleted it in the end since I was too irritated by that Forbes article. That "contributor" has a long track record of bias. I was wondering what one could do to wake these these guys up since their act is getting a bit long and their facts and credibility so profoundly lacking. Aside from posting comments - which are all too often redacted as you can attest - I frankly don't see what we can do as long as media outlets such as Forbes, the G&M, etc. see fit to publish such inanities.

I guess we now live in a new media world where clicks matter more than anything else. Stories are rehashed a hundred times and published as "news" (latest case this morning with the Samsung news from two weeks ago). We must be careful and strive hard to distinguish what is solid news from merely click baits designed to entertain the masses...

Cheers,
    01-30-15 10:33 AM
    HALO OT ALERT!

News just hit the board. We are seeing the big names buy up the stock ahead of the shorts, nice.
    And short interest hasn't changed drastically despite good news. Short burning will occur!
    morganplus8, Corbu, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    01-30-15 10:38 AM
    Following Blackberry news for last few years, this has changed my opinion of news reporters completely and the way i see news in general. IMO majority "respected" news outlets are follow the $ sign. they Lie the most and there are over whelming evidence day in and day out. it is not only blackberry, it is news in general. one has to be very careful and cross check, no matter what the news is. the Trust is gone baby.
    01-30-15 11:05 AM
    Thanks for that M8!! I sold out of the position and was waiting for a drop to get back in, would you expect us to stay within these ranges now? I was hoping to get back in under $13 but i don't foresee that happening anymore. Thank You sir

HALO OT ALERT!

01-30-15 11:07 AM
    The Shorts are betting against:
    John Chen
    Prem Watsa
    QNX
    EMM
    MDM
    M2M
    BBM
    BB10
    IOT
    Samsung partnership
    Amazon partnership
    NantHealth
    and most importantly: the competition has so much unused cash lying around, they can buy Blackberry 10 times over.

I'll just leave this here:
    link - imgur
    01-30-15 11:26 AM
    The Shorts are betting against:
    John Chen
    Prem Watsa
    QNX
    EMM
    MDM
    M2M
    BBM
    BB10
    IOT
    Samsung partnership
    Amazon partnership
    NantHealth
    and most importantly: the competition has so much unused cash lying around, they can buy Blackberry 10 times over.

I'll just leave this here:
    Squirrel-Launcher - Imgur
    Uhh, you forgot us! LOL.
    lech31, georg4BB, sidhuk and 10 others like this.
    01-30-15 11:27 AM
    Following Blackberry news for last few years, this has changed my opinion of news reporters completely and the way i see news in general. IMO majority "respected" news outlets are follow the $ sign. they Lie the most and there are over whelming evidence day in and day out. it is not only blackberry, it is news in general. one has to be very careful and cross check, no matter what the news is. the Trust is gone baby.
    It is perhaps one of the greatest parts of the internet. There is an old saying "Sunshine is the best disinfectant". The sun shines if you know where to look for it. Anyone can post instantly to the world, no need for TV or publisher. Those willing to do their due diligence have always been rewarded. Even more so in this age.
    01-30-15 11:28 AM
    Thanks for that M8!! I sold out of the position and was waiting for a drop to get back in, would you expect us to stay within these ranges now? I was hoping to get back in under $13 but i don't foresee that happening anymore. Thank You sir
    How did you come up with that entry price level? This company is one that you must own, the only way it falls below $ 13.00 is if the general market collapses or they report some bad news. There are 20 MM shares short and they are losing big time here. Now we have two Funds buy 15% of the company up here so the thought of a drop below $ 13.50/shr just isn't likely. Blackrock will be looking for a monster gain, not say 50% on their money, more like 400% so the upside looks huge as these major funds tie up the stock. If we hear from the company that they had favourable talks with the FDA on their labelling. If we hear that earnings are strong, the stock will be so much higher. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that $ 13.50 to $ 14.00/shr is the entry level here. Above $ 15.00 you can trade it for now but by early Feb. you need to position yourself for their next Q report. Try to work your way back into the trade, many others are buying here, above your price. You won't care what you paid when the stock trades above $ 50.00 !!
    01-30-15 11:29 AM
113,256 ... 31733174317531763177 ...