View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Anyone check the stock price lately. Was there something I missed on the wire

Posted from my PassPort
    Dip dip. Steady, time to buy back after last weeks bump

Fun

Posted with my flash Passport
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-28-15 10:49 AM
    OT from the Related Technologies files, general information with some IoT numbers:

GE Opens Predix Industrial Internet Software... - GE Reports
    GE has spent more that $1 billion to launch its global software center in San Ramon, Calif. The company estimates that the convergence of machines, data and analytics will become a $200 billion global industry over the next three years. GE believes that the Industrial Internet could add $10 to $15 trillion to global GDP in efficiency gains over the next two decades. That�s the about the current size of the U.S. economy.
    01-28-15 10:55 AM
    Superfly,
    Thank you for this thread and the TITLE. I for one is not a kid and know what to do with my money. If my choice is to support BBRY, or to buy "brown shoes" so be it! I "might" listen to "some peoples" if on top of giving some "f***ing advices" they give you money along with it. just saying.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    01-28-15 11:01 AM
    What BlackBerry need to figure out, and I fear they won't, is that it is more important to make $0 on millions of devices at the moment than to making money on 'every device', as Chen said, when they are only selling enough devices to fill the back of a Ford F-150. At the moment, I think they need the Passports and Classics, etc for specific people, and smart-looking, underpriced, quality phones purposed to increase the OS user base.
    BlackBerry is the Nintendo of the mobile industry. They don't have other lines of business to subsidize zero profit or worse, losses. Selling units at a profit has helped Nintendo around this long and to survive market disappointments like the WiiU.
    01-28-15 11:08 AM
    I don't think that there has been any news. Low volume it's just some more people getting themselves deeper into trouble.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, the market was so fixated on Apple yesterday, they forgot about BBRY. Memory lapse corrected. They are punishing BBRY again. LOL.
    01-28-15 11:10 AM
    OT from the Related Technologies files, general information with some IoT numbers:

GE Opens Predix Industrial Internet Software... - GE Reports
    GE has spent more that $1 billion to launch its global software center in San Ramon, Calif. The company estimates that the convergence of machines, data and analytics will become a $200 billion global industry over the next three years. GE believes that the Industrial Internet could add $10 to $15 trillion to global GDP in efficiency gains over the next two decades. That�s the about the current size of the U.S. economy.
    Thanks for posting.

"The machines are talking, and the conversation is getting bigger and more complex. That�s why last October, GE said it would open to developers its new software platform for the Industrial Internet, called Predix. Today, the Japanese telecom giant and the country�s third largest mobile carrier, SoftBank Telecom, said it would take a license to build Predix apps for shipping, manufacturing and other industries.

SoftBank says there is a $12 billion data analytics market in Japan that can benefit from the apps. A revenue sharing agreement between the partners has the potential to yield $200 million over the next five years in Japan alone"

so would this compete against the BB IoT Platform, or be able to work in sync with it?
    rarsen and Shanerredflag like this.
    01-28-15 11:26 AM
    Well done Ben! Glad you had a great time and made it home safe. Also thankful for you sharing your adventure by posting pics so we back at work could live vicariously thru you. Lol

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely my pleasure mate! Some of the best times in our lives are sharing these experiences. It fills the soul!
    Corbu, Mr BBRY, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    01-28-15 11:58 AM
    It's a quiet day so and I'm finally back to the board so I'll rant a bit here.

I was asked about currency and how it effects BlackBerry, ........ , BB is effected in several ways, it always repatriates its currency unlike Apple who holds all transactions in their native land. BB has to convert their funds for cash-flow reasons so they are reporting in US dollars with real US dollar figures. Apple leaves their cash in equivalent form and factors in an adjustment so they can play with the numbers a bit. In every case, you have to map the strength of the US dollar against the fiscal reporting period for each company and in BB's case, they are reporting Q4 for Dec - the end of Feb where most of the decline in other currencies has occurred. Apple got a free pass this last quarter by closing the books at the end of 2014. For the next quarter, Apple will have a tough time in both currency and revenues so this rally should be muted here.

The DOW, is it about to collapse? No way, consumer sentiment is at an all time high in the US, their currency is strong because they are officially exporters of natural gas and soon will be the same for oil. I can't remember a time in my life when the US looked so strong fiscally speaking. They just have to grow at a modest pace in order for the stock market to rally hard. So what, we are seeing the market drop 400 in one trading session, isn't that terrible? Hell no, the market is at 18,000 pts, a 400 pt drop is typical in percentage terms and all we are doing now is adjusting to a market that is not supported by large energy companies to one where other sectors are going to lead the next rally. I mentioned awhile ago that we have lost trillions of dollars in many economies because of the retreat in the price of oil. It takes time to adjust to these enormous losses. Once we get through that adjustment, the market will do very well. It is idiotic to think that we are going to collapse here.

Apple - I for one will have to short AAPL for the 4th time at the double top here as they built their house on sand. I own their latest tablet and I still can't force myself to update my iOS to the latest one from the original factory spec because it sucks so badly. If I own the product and it suks, I have to short the stock, its that simple. It has worked 3 times already and I don't think it will fail this time either. When I look at the metrics for where revenue came in this past quarter, I can't see growth in a company whose money is locked in Chinese currency.

BBRY - We are just below the 50-dma today ($ 10.48/shr/US), it is AAPL day, no surprise, we endured a huge drop in the general market yesterday but today we are down on light volume because of that old pairs trade of buying AAPL and shorting BBRY. The short numbers for BBRY make since when you see what's at stake here. Shorts cannot afford to have the stock go higher, it is cheaper to short more than incur margin calls. BBRY is trading today, where it was at $ 7.00/shr last year, it is all but sold out now. Let's get through AAPL day and move on.

BBRY - Quick story here, my friend works for one of Canada's largest real estate companies who have adopted BBM in a huge way. But they have few BB phones and everything else. So my friend was in a meeting and they tell her she needs to use a BB phone instead of her iPhone5S, fine, this is so she can keep track of their meetings. She thinks this is dumb as she is pretty good at doing this with her iPhone. I said, no problem, make use of BlackBerry's Home/Work function and you can carry on problem! She said they handed her a phone out of the box of old BB's and now she is carrying two phones and very upset. This from a company that saw fit to use BBM to the max! So now she needs to go back into that boardroom and sell BB for all she is worth, dumb company.

That's it, peace out!
    ZayDub, La Emperor, jxnb and 27 others like this.
    01-28-15 12:01 PM
    I think people in here have to admit that the Apple results are quite sobering.
    I don't understand why we are using the word "sobering". Apple have proven that the high end smartphone market is as strong and alive as ever. They've also shown the way to massive growth in the high end market in Asia.

If anyone here is serious about BB making a comeback in the smartphone, then a strong high end market is a necessary condition, isn't it?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    01-28-15 12:46 PM
    Alright kiddies, let's get back on track. I mean I've bee through 3 pages of "philosophy" ...
    And if you want to discuss about who is legit/right/wrong or whatever, there's a full rehab lounge for that.
    Rehab & Off-Topic Lounge - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

P.S: Thanks, C.
    01-28-15 12:47 PM
    If anyone here is serious about BB making a comeback in the smartphone, then a strong high end market is a necessary condition, isn't it?
    Enterprise is the target, not "the big comeback". Not yet, and not before years.
    Margins and profits will come from software and services, devices will be value added (security, integration, features) and non deficit items.
    I don't expect anytime soon a "comeback in the smartphone".
    01-28-15 12:51 PM
    @Morgan thanks for the ranting

#BBFactCheck
    01-28-15 12:55 PM
    I don't understand why we are using the word "sobering". Apple have proven that the high end smartphone market is as strong and alive as ever. They've also shown the way to massive growth in the high end market in Asia.

I essentially agree with what you are saying, that is, the high-end market is the carrot for BlackBerry. Apple has to maintain it, but others can strive for that category too. BlackBerry isn't playing in that arena yet, at least not in volume or in retail circles, but if you are the CEO of BB, you are delighted to see that one company dominates this sector with several holes in their product offering. Apple has the oldest OS out there, it is bloated and non-functional to many of us. But at some point, Apple will run out of first timers and those who think fashion in phones and being like every other person is cool. BlackBerry can always go after this high-end sector but the first thing to do is win back Enterprise and they are doing that. It takes far more time to accomplish this than many investors are willing to wait for. As I have always stated, BB just needs one sector to perform well and the stock will soar. They will grow that sector and dominate it and drag along hardware for the ride. I can't be the only person that uses Apple's OS and hates it. To me, they are so vulnerable to collapse here, just one disruptive change in BB's product line will kill them and then you will see the media and consumers run for cover. This takes years not months but that carrot is there for everyone not just Apple.
    01-28-15 01:03 PM
    Morgan thanks for the info/rant. Very informative and interesting.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 01:07 PM
    I know I only have a few posts, and am therefore a Newb, with all the implications of being such a thing, but could we all agree to up the level of maturity and try to focus on more relevant and useful information?

Posted via CB10
    Who is the "WE" you keep referring to? You professor aren't a "WE" IMO. Neither are you mature or well mannered IMO.
    01-28-15 01:19 PM
    Yes, Morgan once again hitting the nail on the head. It's not a matter of days or months, but years. The media will have you believe Apple's success story happened in one bright sunny day in California. I'm not bothered about Apple, that's their business. Tim Cook is lying if he says he wouldn't want BBRY's patents and security tech expertise, but that's also Chen's spot to dominate and take back the cake that Apple and the rest have taken a piece of over the last few years.

Be patient, my fellow BBRY comrades. Don't let the sheep influence you, remember why you hold stock and why you appreciate the BlackBerry smartphone you own.
    01-28-15 01:20 PM
    01-28-15 01:34 PM
    Yes, Morgan once again hitting the nail on the head. It's not a matter of days or months, but years. The media will have you believe Apple's success story happened in one bright sunny day in California. I'm not bothered about Apple, that's their business. Tim Cook is lying if he says he wouldn't want BBRY's patents and security tech expertise, but that's also Chen's spot to dominate and take back the cake that Apple and the rest have taken a piece of over the last few years.

Be patient, my fellow BBRY comrades. Don't let the sheep influence you, remember why you hold stock and why you appreciate the BlackBerry smartphone you own.
    Thanks!

Did anyone think that BBRY would fly to $ 18.00 when BB 10 was getting off the ground? What's not to believe that the same thing could happen when BES12 uptake starts to roll? The market is a crazy medium, take PSDV, they are trading at $ 4.00/shr, have a $ 1.40/shr in cash, no debt, a real product that is opening in 1 - 2 countries each month and the stock is asleep. One day, it will be trading at $ 8.00/shr and everyone will be complaining that they missed it.

BBRY is no different here, it is trading on weak volume, no news other than some bashing by sell side analysts and the general rehash from the media. But Chen is still working every day on BB, they are making it better and because of this, they are attracting long term money into the stock. At some point there are no shares available for the shorts to cover from. The whole process takes time because big money buys on dips and adds to their position. Short sellers stare at it every second to see how they can knock it down while investors look at it once a week or month. At some point, all of this balancing act will end on one piece of evidence and the stock will soar.
    01-28-15 01:53 PM
    I was asked about currency and how it effects BlackBerry, ........ , BB is effected in several ways, it always repatriates its currency unlike Apple who holds all transactions in their native land. BB has to convert their funds for cash-flow reasons so they are reporting in US dollars with real US dollar figures. Apple leaves their cash in equivalent form and factors in an adjustment so they can play with the numbers a bit.
    Why is it that BB seems to be one of the few good corporate citizens out there? Irrespective of the reason, they repatriate their cash, they don't go suing everyone under the sun for patent infringement, they focus on security (although they can do more about privacy IMHO), etc. My one Armchair CEO comment will be that if BB wants to attack the consumer market full force, they need to focus on Family, Inc., and offer parents "ParentalControl Cloud." Right now, they can control most of the device through BES. But once a BB10 device is on BES, you can't have Parental Controls. Give parents control over their kids' phones via a BES-like Parental Control Cloud where parents can set who kids can call, and when, and adjust minutes, number of texts, etc. that can be done on the phone, and I'm sure Family, Inc's will be signing up like crazy. I think TracFone or someone else offered this kind of control as a co-worker controlled her kid's phone like that.

The DOW, is it about to collapse? No way, consumer sentiment is at an all time high in the US, their currency is strong because they are officially exporters of natural gas and soon will be the same for oil.
    What about debt? Isn't part of the energy sector (the fracking industry) heavily debt laden? If oil stays low, what's the chance they default and cause some kind of chain reaction?

Apple - I for one will have to short AAPL for the 4th time at the double top here as they built their house on sand.
    I really need to learn options trading. Do you need Tier 3 or 4 options trading rights to be able to short via options?

BBRY - Quick story here, my friend works for one of Canada's largest real estate companies who have adopted BBM in a huge way. But they have few BB phones and everything else. So my friend was in a meeting and they tell her she needs to use a BB phone instead of her iPhone5S, fine, this is so she can keep track of their meetings. She thinks this is dumb as she is pretty good at doing this with her iPhone. I said, no problem, make use of BlackBerry's Home/Work function and you can carry on problem! She said they handed her a phone out of the box of old BB's and now she is carrying two phones and very upset. This from a company that saw fit to use BBM to the max! So now she needs to go back into that boardroom and sell BB for all she is worth, dumb company.
    BlackBerry's "BlackBerry phones are made to wear in, not out" comment needs to be revisited. Obviously not helping them here. LOL
    spike12 and Shanerredflag like this.
    01-28-15 01:55 PM
    I wish inferior products like that didn't have a similar name to BB....

Anyway, aside from that, the PC World slogan sounds awfully familiar !!!!!

" Work. Life. Productivity.''
    01-28-15 01:55 PM
    John Chen is more likely thinking about how much Apple would pay for Blackberry's patent portfolio at auction given that they are selling so many iPhones worldwide and might be in the market for even stronger smartphone IP protection. A few billion dollars would go a long way towards expanding the service business rather than swimming upstream in the hardware race.
    01-28-15 02:05 PM
    Thanks!

Did anyone think that BBRY would fly to $ 18.00 when BB 10 was getting off the ground? What's not to believe that the same thing could happen when BES12 uptake starts to roll? The market is a crazy medium, take PSDV, they are trading at $ 4.00/shr, have a $ 1.40/shr in cash, no debt, a real product that is opening in 1 - 2 countries each month and the stock is asleep. One day, it will be trading at $ 8.00/shr and everyone will be complaining that they missed it.

BBRY is no different here, it is trading on weak volume, no news other than some bashing by sell side analysts and the general rehash from the media. But Chen is still working every day on BB, they are making it better and because of this, they are attracting long term money into the stock. At some point there are no shares available for the shorts to cover from. The whole process takes time because big money buys on dips and adds to their position. Short sellers stare at it every second to see how they can knock it down while investors look at it once a week or month. At some point, all of this balancing act will end on one piece of evidence and the stock will soar.
    You just reminded me why I decided it was best I didn't comment on day trade. I was forever long on BBRY and that remains true. I, for one, can't wait when BBRY stock reaches a milestone that we can all come out to a designated place and celebrate to. $50, anyone? France?

I know it was $100 before, but I need an excuse to celebrate quickly lol.

Good day, people.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 02:07 PM
    ..,but I'd love to read more balanced and varied assessments of the company in here as we go along.
    Maybe that needs to be another thread? As someone who is long BBRY again myself, I'd love to have a respectful and balanced discussion about this investment. This site would be a great place to have that, given that there are so many people here who have followed this company for years.

01-28-15 02:15 PM
    Why is it that BB seems to be one of the few good corporate citizens out there? Irrespective of the reason, they repatriate their cash, they don't go suing everyone under the sun for patent infringement, they focus on security (although they can do more about privacy IMHO), etc. My one Armchair CEO comment will be that if BB wants to attack the consumer market full force, they need to focus on Family, Inc., and offer parents "ParentalControl Cloud." Right now, they can control most of the device through BES. But once a BB10 device is on BES, you can't have Parental Controls. Give parents control over their kids' phones via a BES-like Parental Control Cloud where parents can set who kids can call, and when, and adjust minutes, number of texts, etc. that can be done on the phone, and I'm sure Family, Inc's will be signing up like crazy. I think TracFone or someone else offered this kind of control as a co-worker controlled her kid's phone like that.

What about debt? Isn't part of the energy sector (the fracking industry) heavily debt laden? If oil stays low, what's the chance they default and cause some kind of chain reaction?

I really need to learn options trading. Do you need Tier 3 or 4 options trading rights to be able to short via options?

BlackBerry's "BlackBerry phones are made to wear in, not out" comment needs to be revisited. Obviously not helping them here. LOL
    Banffmoose !!

I had to highlight your comment there, perhaps BB is taking the high road while others keep lawyers too busy. All good points. I don't work with options in terms of buying them, I always short the stock. I sell options to others but rarely buy them myself and that's because of the time premium decay, I would rather take your money then give you mine.

As for the debt from fracking, it's very much an individual company thing, some companies are loaded with cash, debt free, pay a dividend and frack. The smaller ones are all in and stake their lives on their results. But the bulk of the money is very secure. That is one of the reasons why the price of energy is falling and it has become a long term issue now. You can obtain marginal profits at low pricing and watch your competition fold. This is suppose to happen to handsets isn't it? We are told to treat handsets as a commodity and so you have to ask yourself why is it that AAPL controls 80% of the profits in that "commodity" sector? Nothing is a commodity forever, at some point it dies, or is replaced with disruptive technology and rendered yesterdays news. The handset as we know it today will be replaced with all encompassing technology down the road. I would think that Chen can see beyond today's news in Apple and has a plan to grow the business in several different directions. I also believe that he isn't free to talk about where he sees BB in 5 years, not to tip off the competition. That's why I think that Samsung could be planning to do far more work with BB down the road.
    StormieTwo, Corbu, rarsen and 5 others like this.
    01-28-15 02:21 PM
    Loaded up some more at $10.15

Enjoying this discounted shopping spree lol

Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Classic or Passport???
    Mr BBRY, sidhuk, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    01-28-15 02:31 PM
113,252 ... 31683169317031713172 ...