View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    ummm.... not a patriotic thing for me (even though I commend those that go by those beliefs).

For me, the BB phone is far better... period.

The Blackberry Phone is much better for Fun and Work !

The BBOS is way more engaging. Using iOS or Android is so frustrating in comparison !
    3MIKE, ibpluto, CDM76 and 5 others like this.
    01-26-15 01:08 PM
    I sit here actually wanting the SP to go down after selling some at Thursdays top.

What a weird feeling. Current SP to high to buy back in.

Wanting it to go down feels weird, how do "shorts" live with themselves!?!?

Posted with my flash Passport
    01-26-15 01:13 PM
    I sit here actually wanting the SP to go down after selling some at Thursdays top.

Just pickup some before the next rally. You might regrets on the next spikes but it could fall back. I was in the same situation as you but again if you are in for the short run then it will be difficult to find the right price

#BBFactCheck
    CDM76 likes this.
    01-26-15 01:16 PM
    http://www.midasletter.com/2015/01/b...s-choice/Apple

In Davos, everyone from U.K. Chancellor George Osborne to senior executives of Goldman Sachs were seen talking on BlackBerry iPhones.
    Ummmm. What's a BlackBerry iPhone???? Is that where apple tries to claim they invented the BlackBerry???

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 01:22 PM
    Ummmm. What's a BlackBerry iPhone???? Is that where apple tries to claim they invented the BlackBerry???

Posted via CB10
    Lol

#BBFactCheck
    01-26-15 01:37 PM
    Noticed BlackBerry comes first.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    01-26-15 01:42 PM
    Report: Oracle and Samsung to buddy up on cloud

Looks like Samsung is trying to match the IBM/Apple deal. So Blackberry/Oracle/Samsung triumvirate?

Samsung and Oracle are looking at teaming up to jointly offer enterprises cloud-based services, according to a report from the Korea Times. The report comes amid rumours Samsung is looking to spend up to $7.5bn on BlackBerry, in part for its expertise in enterprise software.

The Korea Times quoted a source familiar with the matter who said Samsung�s mobile chief Shin Jong-Kyun Oracle co-chief executive Mark Hurd had met to iron out the terms of a partnership that could see the two firms jointly offer cloud services to enterprises, though it�s unclear whether a deal has been reached or what kinds of cloud services will be offered through such a deal.

Samsung would contribute its mobile expertise, while Oracle would offer its experience in cloud, enterprise software and databases.

�As Samsung is the global leader in handsets, Oracle needs the Korean company to boost its database cloud solutions, which the US company identified as one of its next engines,� the official was quoted as saying.

And Oracle spokesperson told BCN they could not confirm the report.

The move may come as little surprise given Samsung�s ambitions in enterprise software. The Korean electronics giant is rumoured to be soliciting BlackBerry for a takeover worth roughly $7.5bn, a claim both firms have refuted, but the company has increasingly shown an interest in the enterprise mobility management (EMM) market, partnering with vendors like Knox and operators like Telef�nica on various EMM-focused initiatives.

Oracle and Samsung (via its IT-focused SDS subsidiary) have previously partnered to develop and jointly sell procurement and digital marketing solutions, and Samsung is already a customer of Oracle�s database technology.
    kadakn01, lech31, rarsen and 7 others like this.
    01-26-15 02:23 PM
    OT from the Related Technologies and Security files:

CYBER CLAIMS STUDY 2014
    http://www.netdiligence.com/NetDilig...laimsStudy.pdf
    Objective for this study is to help risk management professionals and insurance underwriters understand the true impact of data insecurity by consolidating claims data from multiple insurers so that the combined pool of claims is sizable enough that it allows us to ascertain real costs and project future trends.
    01-26-15 03:29 PM
    OT: To our friends in New England. Stay safe during this major winter storm.
    01-26-15 04:05 PM

i'm in the exact same boat. two weeks ago i would have let it ride for the long term. however, last week I made a new rule for myself after being up 25% on bombardier and now down 20%. if ever i'm up 20%, it's now an automatic sell. so now i'm waiting for BB to drift down as the latest Samsung takeover rumours lose their sheen.

i'm new to self directed investing. i've done quite a bit of reading (this thread is awesome. thank you all), if there's any books anyone can recommend, please do. is there an investing for dummies book?
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    01-26-15 04:39 PM
    RE: Net/App Neutrality discussion - Gee, I was gone for a day and look what happens! Guess I'll need to keep my responses to myself.

Now, back on topic, just an FYI for everyone, Blackberry just sent out emails to people who enrolled in EZ Pass:

"YOU HAVE TWO CHOICES
    On January 31, 2015, the Advantage level support you are receiving through EZ Pass will come to an end. You need to take one of the two actions below before this deadline:
    Option 1: Renew* to keep the benefits going
    Option 2: Opt-out* to avoid automatic invoicing

*If you have already renewed or opted-out of support, thank you! You can safely disregard this message."

I deleted most of the text, but that's the meat of the message.
    Corbu, rarsen, bungaboy and 4 others like this.
    01-26-15 04:42 PM
    OT: IBM is laying off 111,800 people. Yikes.
    01-26-15 04:52 PM
    Hi Masterful !!!

Obviously I have no idea what news is coming on the takeover front, for that, you have to count trades and look at the bid/ask to see if there is a pattern or not. We have seen a ton of stock trade above $ 10.00/shr now and that means we are well into support here...

I can see us spending some time in this area, after all, 6.5 hours of trade is enough for MM's to move the stock up/down several times throughout the day. In the end, I see us going much higher in the weeks ahead.
    Wondering why the volume is so low

#BBFactCheck
    Today's CIO @ The C Suite - BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) is a Sell: New Strategy is Good, But Comes Too Late

Today's CIO @ The C Suite

A new research note issued by Berenberg Bank says the BlackBerry share price will be unable to deliver long-term gains.
    The call on BlackBerry Ltd (NASDAQ:BBRY) comes as the consumer technology shows a clear shift in strategy.
    Unfortunately for investors, the change is coming too late in the opinion of Adnaan Ahmad, analyst at Berenberg....

Posted via CB10
    So our resident guru sees that all the trading last week has given us a some support above $10/shr. I think that the volume is low while the shorts find some new analysts to FUD up some doom an gloom. If we don't see a flood of FUD by Wednesday then the price should hold over 10 (judging by the intermediate term history of this stock). the shorts are really going to have to up their game to drive this down below ten. Hopefully Morgan is right and we'll rally up into a new channel where the shorts and continue their silly games.
    01-26-15 04:52 PM
    Maybe their "partner" Apple can dig into their deep pockets and bail them out.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 04:53 PM
    BlackBerry pivots away from hardware to software and services - The Washington Post

For years, BlackBerry phones’ signature keyboard — a pragmatic, if unfashionable contrast to the sleek touch screens of iPhones and consumer models — was a popular feature among stalwart customers at businesses and federal agencies. At its peak in 2009, BlackBerry’s phones accounted for about 20 percent of the smartphone market, according to the research group International Data Corp.

Since then, amid competition from consumer-focused vendors such as Apple and Samsung, and increasingly common “bring your own device” policies permitting employees to access work correspondence from their personal phones, the Ontario company’s market share has steadily declined.

In 2014, BlackBerry’s market share plummeted to about 0.5 percent. Samsung led with 23.7 percent, followed by Apple with 11.7 percent, according to IDC. To compensate for falling hardware sales, BlackBerry has redirected its focus from the devices themselves to software and services, including those aimed at federal customers.

The new goal, BlackBerry Chief Operating Officer Marty Beard said in an interview, is to “innovate around the reality” of smartphone users who prefer non-BlackBerry phones. “There’s a perception in the industry . . . that we only support BlackBerry devices,” Beard said, but noted, “our software business has gone totally multi-[operating system].”

Despite shrinking revenue, in the past few months the company has announced several new applications that function on the Android, iOS and Windows operating systems — its popular messaging system BBM, or BlackBerry Balance, an app that separates work content from personal content, for instance. BlackBerry Enterprise Server is designed to manage thousands of employees, their devices and their applications in one system.

At the International CES expo in Las Vegas earlier this month, BlackBerry unveiled a new “Internet of Things” platform, designed to collect data from various trackable objects, such as automotive fleets. It also announced plans to make its messaging system available on Android-based “smartwatches.”

BlackBerry also announced a partnership with IT company Nanthealth to create a portable hub designed to collect data transmitted among patients, doctors and hospitals.

BlackBerry’s contracts with the federal government also reflect this new emphasis on software, according to Matt Hummer, director of analytics for government research analytics service Govini.

According to Govini, which tracks public records of federal contracts, BlackBerry’s contracts for new devices have leveled, while software contracts have grown. In 2011, BlackBerry’s federal contracts peaked at more than $90 million — by 2014, they had shrunk to about $40 million. (BlackBerry does not share financial figures about public vs. private customers.) This shift is due in part to bring-your-own-device policies at the department level, Hummer said — even the Defense Department has approved BlackBerry’s secure application for iOS and Android devices.

In general, Hummer said, “as agencies loosen up their policy around type of device that can be used . . . the commercial and public trending of purchases of smartphones would more align with the government’s.”

As of November, hardware sales constituted approximately 46 percent of revenue, and BlackBerry’s revenue and hardware sales have been declining sequentially. For the quarter ended Nov. 29, the company reported revenue of $793 million, down from $916 million the previous quarter and $966 million the quarter before that. In the quarter ended Nov. 29, the company sold 1.9 million smartphones, down from 2.4 million in the second quarter and 2.6 million in the first quarter. (BlackBerry recently denied rumors that it had engaged in discussions with Samsung about being acquired by the South Korean conglomerate.)

“The company clearly in transition from being a former smartphone leader to now transforming a business to sell a select few or a select handful of smartphones to enterprise government customers,” Morningstar analyst Brian Colello said. “Typically the business model was the reverse — typically BlackBerry would give CIOs software for free to allow them to manage the handsets” they sell to customers.

Despite a few new hardware announcements, such as the BlackBerry Passport, a touch-screen smartphone with a keyboard released in September or the BlackBerry Classic, an update to the iconic phone with more screen space — “it’s clear BlackBerry is not going to re-emerge as a phone that has 20, 25 percent of market share of the entire smartphone space,” Colello said.

Instead, he said, BlackBerry’s strategy has been to “retain the most loyal users they have” — making it easier for employees and companies to access the platform, even if they’ve moved on to newer devices.

Beard is not ready to give up that easy: The focus on software and services could generate more interest in hardware, he insists.

“It has a halo effect on the BlackBerry side,” he said. “As more people download the software, they buy more handsets.”
    01-26-15 04:57 PM
    Maybe their "partner" Apple can dig into their deep pockets and bail them out.

Posted via CB10
    The apple IBM partnership suppose to grow their business and "Kill" BlackBerry. Geez. I remember that 30% drop on that news.
    Finally. Centerfolds.

Posted using BlackBerry passport.
    3MIKE, La Emperor, rarsen and 9 others like this.
    01-26-15 04:58 PM
    More on that Apple IBM deal. Word is that that so for only 10 apps released with using 3rd party developers?
    http://utbblogs.com/backtoblack/anot...e-partnership/

Posted using BlackBerry passport.
    01-26-15 05:06 PM
    The apple IBM partnership suppose to grow their business and "Kill" BlackBerry. Geez. I remember that 30% drop on that news.
    Finally. Centerfolds.

Posted using BlackBerry passport.p
    JC called it. "Like two elephants trying to dance" or something along those lines. IBM got stuck in the Apple store lineup it appears. Feel sorry for the thousands of families that will be affected. Pitty

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 05:16 PM
    01-26-15 05:21 PM
    Wondering why the volume is so low

#BBFactCheck
    NYC getting slammed by a noreaster. Traders going home ahead of the storm.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 05:28 PM
    Do you have the link to a press release or major news channel? I'd like to read the details. Seems pretty unlikely to me, given they just reported like $16B in net income.

Edit:http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wir...oming-28492138

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30)
    Shanerredflag, rarsen and awindsr like this.
    01-26-15 05:32 PM
    Do you have the link to a press release or major news channel? I'd like to read the details. Seems pretty unlikely to me, given they just reported like $16B in net income.
    AFAIK, not yet confirmed:
    http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...obs-cut-claims
    IBM denies plans to cut 26% of workforce
    IBM dismisses Forbes? report of massive 112,000 job cuts | Toronto Star
    01-26-15 05:38 PM
    They (IBM) should build an app for that...oh, never mind, they still owe Apple 90 from last year.

Classically Posted.
    Corbu, ibpluto, rarsen and 7 others like this.
    01-26-15 05:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    LOL! I missed that auto correct error altogether.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 06:14 PM
    Seems Onstar, GM, don't have a problem with making it compatible for BlackBerry. I won't bother posting this article, but here is the link if interested. Good to see not everyone is shunning us.
    http://www.autoevolution.com/news/on...rry-91576.html

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 06:33 PM
113,256 ... 31623163316431653166 ...