View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    As a Canadian, I'm not sure what Canada has to do with this. Silly nationalist protectionism has no place in an open market. Companies get acquired all the time, whether it's Canadian companies as the target or the buyer.

In my view, the shareholders are the only ones who have a say whether the company gets sold, the government has no role in deciding so, unless it's against regulatory laws.
    I'm glad you think that everything is for sale! I'm a share holder and my answer is NO! Remember if it's in the best interest for Canada, then Canada has a say in the matter. Does it benefit Canadian economic picture or doesn't, it's not a simple answer of greed that will make the decision.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 07:45 PM
    BlackBerry Ltd. fell 1.0 percent to $9.93 with 19,261,700 shares traded.

A lot of shares were traded at around 10:00 am today, does anyone have any details on that ?
    01-21-15 07:52 PM
    Hey all,

I'm enjoying the recent posts and articles, and couldn't help but remember the following:

"The federal government's decision to block the takeover of Potash Corp. has thrown Canada's rules governing foreign takeovers into question, casting doubt on the prospect of future bids for many prominent Canadian companies.

Industry Minister Tony Clement said BHP $38.6-billion (U.S.) bid for Potash Corp. did not meet the "net benefit" test under the Investment Canada Act, but the Australian mining giant has 30 days to try to change the federal government's mind.

The federal government "must do the right thing when faced with difficult decisions," Mr. Clement said.

"I believe that my decision today is the right decision in the interests of Canada and in the interests of Canadians and that is my bottom line." BHP said it was "disappointed" with the ruling but stopped short of saying it will drop its bid.

This wannabe Samsung deal is small potatoes in comparison!!!!
    Food for thought....pun intended
    01-21-15 08:03 PM
  4. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Hey all,

I'm enjoying the recent posts and articles, and couldn't help but remember the following:

"The federal government's decision to block the takeover of Potash Corp. has thrown Canada's rules governing foreign takeovers into question, casting doubt on the prospect of future bids for many prominent Canadian companies.

Industry Minister Tony Clement said BHP $38.6-billion (U.S.) bid for Potash Corp. did not meet the "net benefit" test under the Investment Canada Act, but the Australian mining giant has 30 days to try to change the federal government's mind.

The federal government "must do the right thing when faced with difficult decisions," Mr. Clement said.

"I believe that my decision today is the right decision in the interests of Canada and in the interests of Canadians and that is my bottom line." BHP said it was "disappointed" with the ruling but stopped short of saying it will drop its bid.

This wannabe Samsung deal is small potatoes in comparison!!!!
    Food for thought....pun intended
    very different circumstances then .. natural resources … Blackberry is quite different and they won't stand in the way as long as security issues etc are met … anyway would love to see a big player like Samsung take a minority position .. synergies and investment $$$ would be huge!!!! .. lots of upside in a WIN-WIN situation …. and CEO CHEN is just smart enough to make the right call and not sell out short … Chen knows by 2017 and beyond Blackberry will be generating serious revenues and profits …
    01-21-15 08:35 PM
    Morgan, what are the changes of Prem Watsa giving up on his shares for the rumoured offer of US$13.35 to US$15.49 per share?
    morganplus8 likes this.
    01-21-15 08:36 PM
    "Takeover or buy a significant stake in BlackBerry." I think that the Canadian government might live with Samsung having a minority stake in BlackBerry. It would keep BlackBerry headquartered in Canada and give it a very strong base. It would definitely shake out the shorts. I don't think Canada or the NATO countries going for an all out sale.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR and bungaboy like this.
    01-21-15 08:45 PM
  7. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    BlackBerry Limited (BBRY) After Hours Chart - NASDAQ.com

up 6.34 percent after hours according to this ….
    rarsen, bungaboy, 3MIKE and 1 others like this.
    01-21-15 08:51 PM
    Held it for a while about a year ago. They kept releasing good products that scored high in benchmark tests, sales seemed to be improving, they were aggressively restructuring...but nothing seems to matter. It seems like an overcrowded space with too low of margins and too quickly changing landscapes. Just as fast as they were on top with computers and laptops, they were falling back by missing the smartphone chip wave. They're trying to enter it now, but are up against Asian competitors.

I kept saying "it can't get any worse" but it kept getting worse. I think the current stock price is a reflection of the poor market, and falling investor optimism. Other than PS4, Xbox and graphic chips for PC gaming, they don't have much else going for them.

I have thought about re-entering at these crazy low prices, but I'm waiting for something that shows increased potential. Right now they've basically peaked with all of their top products, and they still can't operate at a profit.

Posted via CB10
    I figured that they were unstoppable when they bought ATI. Full meal deal.
    Not so much now.
    Love my Radeon.
    Shame, though.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-21-15 09:20 PM
    A samsung partnership is good for both companies to help BlackBerry fight the evil on the US criminal exchange and for samsung to knock apple out. BlackBerry and samsung will give a one two punch knockout out the evil

Posted via CB10
    Nice enthusiasm towards your goal, but I keep hearing the Transformers movie trailer voice guy providing color for your posts and am getting a visual of you in a cape, BVD's and a pair of pantyhose on your head running up and down Wall Street taking "EVIL" head on.
    It's not pretty.....

Posted via CB10
    rarsen and lcjr like this.
    01-21-15 09:39 PM
    Morgan, what are the changes of Prem Watsa giving up on his shares for the rumoured offer of US$13.35 to US$15.49 per share?
    Yes M+8 I and many others would like to hear your insight. I would think that even though Prem Watsa would want more the value added supersedes that. What would BBM be worth with all samsung phones having BBM that has video? Is it me or has BBM working just as good on a samsung as it does on a BlackBerry? That's the value added for just BBM which is the tip of the iceberg of benefits.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-21-15 09:40 PM
    Does anyone know why a company may wish to purchase less than a controlling interest in another company?

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 10:11 PM
    Does anyone know why a company may wish to purchase less than a controlling interest in another company?

Posted via CB10
    Why dose any one buy shares ? Why did BlackBerry buy a minority stake in Nanthealth? To make money.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Glenn Biddle; 01-21-15 at 11:03 PM.
    CDM76 and bungaboy like this.
    01-21-15 10:45 PM
    Regulatory approval. In other words, they can put any Canadian government concerns to rest by not being the controlling interest and take the chance that the deal will be refused on 'security' or other issues.
    01-21-15 11:04 PM
    Regulatory approval. In other words, they can put any Canadian government concerns to rest by not being the controlling interest and take the chance that the deal will be refused on 'security' or other issues.
    And what he said.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    01-21-15 11:20 PM

And supporting blurb: http://bizblog.blackberry.com/2015/0...ardware-bes12/

Classically Posted.
    3MIKE, Mr BBRY, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    01-22-15 03:07 AM
    To be honest, I don't like these Samsung rumors. Right now BB is trying to sell the Classic devices and these rumors are like an imagenary 'For Sale' sign again and that's not helpful.
    And it is more than uncertain that Samsung/BlackBerry will continue the BB10 platform. They could also make business keyboard devices based on Android/Knox under the BlackBerry brand. Android/Knox/BES12 might what Samsung really wants, not BB10.
    In this recent news john-chen-calls-app-neutrality Chen is complaining about developers ignoring the BB10 platform. That's odd, imho. Looks like he wants to give us a reason to finally close BB10. Of course BlackBerry will not admit it until they have sold the complete Classic inventory.
    Samsung replacing Tizen by QNX/BB10 would be awsome, but It's more wishful thinking, imho.
    However these rumors create uncertaincy and that's not good. Sorry for the bad vibrations.
    01-22-15 03:09 AM
    I would **** my pants if:

• Samsung licenses BB10
    • Samsung takes a healthy stake at BlackBerry, burying the shorts.
    • Samsung signs a contract of some sort which means $$$$$$$$ for BBRY
    • Samsung signs contract to pre-load BBM on their devices.
    01-22-15 05:23 AM
    Posted via CB10
    (FFT)
    BlackBerry has 4 divisions that aren't financially/legally splitted. Each has its own weight, profitability and horizon.
    Some days in the 2013-2014's I wrote about the option of breaking apart these divisions, under a "BlackBerry umbrella". (edited: blue) We all have to understand that, today, these divisions are extremely disjointed and are already "masters" in their respective fields.
    If any, this kind of setting may allow Samsung (and/or others) to pile in one/several subsidiary(ies) while still under the mastership control.
    Enterprise and QNX-ion would meet these criteria IMHO.
    (/FFT)

Now about a takeover as of today's settings/offerings : nah. (IMHO)
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-22-15 at 08:05 AM.
    01-22-15 05:26 AM
    Sorry for repost, but just wanted to highlight

Samsung in Discussions With BlackBerry to Expand Partnership
    Bloomberg

"
    Samsung Electronics Co. (005930) denied interest in acquiring BlackBerry Ltd. (BBRY), saying instead it was holding talks to use the Canadian smartphone maker's technology in Samsung devices.

The comments by Samsung co-Chief Executive Officer Shin Jong Kyun came five days after Reuters reported that the South Korean company proposed buying BlackBerry for as much as $7.5 billion. Both companies denied the story, which cited documents and an unnamed person familiar with the matter.

"We want to work with BlackBerry and develop this partnership, not acquire the company," Shin said today in an e-mail. "BlackBerry is one of our important business-to-business strategic partners."

Samsung's Knox system, which offers a suite of secure work applications, runs on BlackBerry's new server, known as the BES12. The partnership competes with an alliance between International Business Machines Corp. and Apple Inc. (AAPL)

That cooperation was one piece of BlackBerry CEO John Chen's efforts to focus on business users and security as he aims to reach sustainable profit and revenue growth in the fiscal year that ends in 2016.

The Waterloo, Ontario-based company lost much of its market share in smartphones to Samsung, which ships about one of every four devices globally. The Suwon-based Samsung is looking for revenue sources as its smartphone business faces pressure at the high end from Apple Inc.'s new iPhones and in the mid-range from Chinese manufacturers such as Xiaomi Corp.

Shares of Samsung rose 2.2 percent to 1,372,000 won in Seoul. The stock fell 3.3 percent last year after a 9.9 percent decline in 2013.
    01-22-15 06:54 AM
    Sooooo your telling me Samsung is going to buy Blackberry debt in the form of converted shares from fairfax and company for 15 dollars a share.
    iamagod likes this.
    01-22-15 07:48 AM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png

When I look at (moderate/low volume) and PM swing (in the 4%s) I'd tend to believe we have another non-event here. Yet, these succesive waves of rumors are good news, in a way they set a "low bid fair valuation level" for BBRY. As much as we shouldn't ear more $6-$8 targets ... but,oh, crap: I'm not an analyst ...

For later reference:
    BlackBerry Limited (BBRY) is +0.44 at $10.37, with 556,421 shares traded. As reported in the last short interest update the days to cover for BBRY is 8.149438; this calculation is based on the average trading volume of the stock.
    bungaboy, jxnb, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    01-22-15 08:01 AM
    This will get the shorts on their toes. I actually like surprises buy i don't think that the 23% short sellers will like any surprises at all...muahhaha

#BBFactCheck
    01-22-15 08:04 AM
    OK, so Sammy wants in on Enterprise (with Knox), so does Apple (with IBM) and everybody else. Samsung also wants out from under Google (and Microsoft). That is why they developed the Tizen OS. They are starting to ship Tizen on products that are not "app" dependent.

When Steve Jobs created the whole App Ecosystem idea he effectively bound consumers to apple products (which were cutting edge at the time). But now that the wheels are falling off the apple cart, ( I don't use Whatsapp but I find it interesting that their new web app doesn't work on Apple.) we have a chance to correct that. Or we might end up in a google dominated monopoly where we all get screwed for a very long time.

Could it be that Samsung wants to use BB to secure their IoT offerings, and in the process, get out from under Google? If IoT products are "machine to machine" data channels then they don't need fancy UI, they just need secure connections. there won't be "an app for that".

Every company trying to get into IoT will try to mimic what SJ did with Apple, built a set of products that work well together but don't play nice with outsiders. What we really need of course are products that play nice with everybody and do it in a secure manner.

Chen's "Net Neutrality" post about apps being Device Agnostic would fit into this worldview. If all app developers went to HTML5 and their apps could run on any OS (including whatever systems come out of China) we'd all be able to pick and choose the handset most suited to our personal tastes.
    01-22-15 08:30 AM
    01-22-15 08:34 AM
    Interesting:

Samsung is a huge consumer brand
    Blackberry is a large enterprise brand
    Samsung wants negotiating power with Google and Microsoft
    Blackberry want access to consumer market without paying $$$$ to gain in this market.

There would seem to be a large number of synergies here.

A buy out would be pointless and I think would not produce the results they are looking for.

let's see how it plays out.

I think we will see an announcement at the next earnings or MWC between Blackberry and Samsung.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 08:38 AM
113,256 ... 31493150315131523153 ...