Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    The anti free market shorts doing what they do best. Sickening

Posted via CB10
    Blah blah. The most anti free market thing about this is that 2 men are going to decide the fate of this Watsa who controls a huge block of shares and most of the debentures and Chen.

Happily for us they see more value

What the shorts are doing is the free market. Trade against them and make money.

BlackBerry shares are speculative.

The belly aching is silly. If you can't stand the heat....

Posted with my flash Passport
    01-15-15 12:02 PM
    01-15-15 12:04 PM
    Morgan !!!
    T
    hank you for this, will do some homework abt the Bollinger Band and EMA.
    Had to read it line by line twice as some notions are still smokey for me, but I guess I got it; you're a pedagogic jewel !

And, BTW, what this thread would be without you and some of our great knowledge contributors ? (hint: gone !)
    Ha! I'll be giving a 6 hour lecture at the $ 100 party so be sure to be there! Ha!

In reality, you only need to know a 1/2 dozen indicators and have some simple rules that you follow in order to make money in this field. It isn't rocket science by any means, it takes patience and some money of course but all of us can tag along with the rich and make money. You have to look no further then Jimmy Cramer, he claims to be rich, ripping people off as a hedge fund trader, now he is stuck with a failing talk show and the **** of the jokes of everyone on this thread! You can out class him every day of the week, so figure it out and enjoy your new hobby!
    bungaboy, 95aero, sidhuk and 9 others like this.
    01-15-15 12:06 PM
    Feel like getting back in again near $10. Yesterday was a good fluke. It worked.
    Seems like the stock is having trouble breaking $10.

Posted using BlackBerry passport.
    01-15-15 12:19 PM
    Feel like getting back in again near $10. Yesterday was a good fluke. It worked.

Because the Cheerleader is MIA.
    sidhuk, Soumaila Somtore and 3MIKE like this.
    01-15-15 12:27 PM
    Curious what the short interest is now. I wonder weather this little stunt ended up helping or hurting the shorters?

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    01-15-15 12:35 PM
    If Samsung comes in with a $20 bid -- wouldn't the BOD have to present that for a shareholders vote? Isn't that enough of a premium to force public disclosure?
    01-15-15 12:38 PM
    I think you missed my very first point:
    ==========
    Alternative OS / Reduced dependence on Android -
    1. Samsung has been trying to develop an alternative OS to Android. They are trying to reduce their dependence on Android. Instead of introducing a new OS (Tizen), they can simply acquire or license BlackBerry 10 OS which already has a decent (and improving) app systems. No need to invest billions on Tizen. Buy or license BB 10.
    =========

This has nothign to do with Android. Samsung had openly declared their intention (at that time) to develop an alternative (non-Android) OS to reduce their dependence on Google/Android and Google's changing terms/conditions. So, they were developing Tizen.

Tizen is/was still in infancy and they could simply buy out BB and get BB10/QNX OS with it and adopt BlackBerry as their OS and ditch Tizen. BB 10 / QNX os are already way ahead in every area. Simply buy that OS, put your money behind it. And kill Tizen while its still in the labs.

Not sure where you got the idea that Android compatibility is a must-have. The whole idea (for Samsung) was to develop an OS that can stand without reliance on Android. Can run their appliances (from TVs to Phones).
    Tizen is so Samsung doesn't have to pay patent fees to MS who is making more from Android than it will ever make from WinPhone. When you add IoT to 10s of millions of appliances, a per device fee estimated to be $3.81 or over a 1B over a fiscal year is large potatoes for any corp. Samsung isn't going away from Android, in fact the Touchwiz UI in the S6 will be even closer to stock android than the magazine style UI that Touchwiz was going to be before Samsung signed a 10 year cross-licensing agreement with Google. Its not a coincidence that Samsung has yet to announce a Tizen flagship phone as the lack of Android apps would make that DOA.

What is Samsung going to do with BB10 with no runtime. Doesn't need it for IoT, QNX with data going thru BB NOC works nicely. No need for BB10 in auto. Doesn't need it for regulated industry as Galaxy phones have the certifications and now BES12 can be even more be closely integrated. BB patents may even reduce the patent fees or eliminate them altogether if MS is forced to cross-license instead of having Samsung over a barrel.

Samsung keeping BB10 would EOL all existing product lines and introduce chaos into corporate buying strategy never mind any share of the consumer market for BB10 and the devs with apps in BBWorld that depend on the Android Player to function. It would make more sense for Samsung to sell BB10 off to whomever wants to serve the PKB market perhaps former employees with investors.
    01-15-15 12:43 PM
    Ha! I'll be giving a 6 hour lecture at the $ 100 party so be sure to be there! Ha!

In reality, you only need to know a 1/2 dozen indicators and have some simple rules that you follow in order to make money in this field. It isn't rocket science by any means, it takes patience and some money of course but all of us can tag along with the rich and make money. You have to look no further then Jimmy Cramer, he claims to be rich, ripping people off as a hedge fund trader, now he is stuck with a failing talk show and the **** of the jokes of everyone on this thread! You can out class him every day of the week, so figure it out and enjoy your new hobby!
    Chen took Sybase 20x increase in value. He just needs to achieve half of that with BBRY to give us your 6hr lecture - seems doable to me.
    01-15-15 01:04 PM
    If Samsung comes in with a $20 bid -- wouldn't the BOD have to present that for a shareholders vote? Isn't that enough of a premium to force public disclosure?
    i think it would have to be 20 before you even got any of the big players attention
    01-15-15 01:05 PM
    BlackBerry?s Price For Saying No -- Heard on the Street - WSJ

By DAN GALLAGHER

The latest takeover chatter surrounding BlackBerry proves there�s life yet in the struggling smartphone maker. The question is how much is that life worth?

Consider that barely a year ago, BlackBerry was thought to be circling the drain. Its consumer smartphone business had flopped, subscribers were fleeing and the company flushed its top management for the second time in as many years. The stock was changing hands at less than $6 near the end of 2013. It had recovered to around $9.60 before Reuters reported late Wednesday that Samsung had made an offer in the range of $13.35-$15.49 per share for BlackBerry.

Both companies denied talks, causing BlackBerry�s shares to give back most of Wednesday�s gains on Thursday. A report from the Toronto Globe and Mail later on Wednesday said BlackBerry had turned away �a handful� of suitors in recent months, preferring to stick with its plan to become a provider of mobile software services for corporations, with a niche handset business on the side.

It may be that parties interested in picking off pieces of BlackBerry�s business are no longer content to wait around for a fire sale, a stance that seemed to make sense a year ago.

Today, the issue is whether BlackBerry is right to stick with its plan�which depends on hitting some ambitious targets�or consider the money that could be tempted to the table. There is no simple answer, though it is worth noting that the reported Samsung offer is above all but one of Wall Street�s price targets on BlackBerry, according to FactSet. BlackBerry clearly believes in its vision, but there are limits as to how far the company can sell it to investors.
    01-15-15 01:12 PM
    The thing is BlackBerry knows what it has in the works. No one else really does.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 01:19 PM
    i think it would have to be 20 before you even got any of the big players attention
    You are likely right, its a case of chasing the prize, if you wait another couple of months, the valuation goes up. You have to step in there and buy, just about anything out there today, when no one wants them. If you had stepped into the Florida market and bought up all of the real estate in 2009, you would be the second coming of Donald Trump. The message is out there today, either you own some BBRY or you watch the stock from the sidelines. At $ 10.00 it is a steal, you are joining Watsa and other smart people who bought the stock at $ 10.00 and they made their purchases before we had $ 3.1 B in cash and newly talked about handsets and cash-flow breakeven. What would Watsa pay for those bonds today, $ 12.00 or more equivalent? It is truly amazing that the stock is rallying right now, 2:19 PM with 43 MM shares so far and we are now going back up.
    01-15-15 01:21 PM
    You are likely right, its a case of chasing the prize, if you wait another couple of months, the valuation goes up. You have to step in there and buy, just about anything out there today, when no one wants them. If you had stepped into the Florida market and bought up all of the real estate in 2009, you would be the second coming of Donald Trump. The message is out there today, either you own some BBRY or you watch the stock from the sidelines. At $ 10.00 it is a steal, you are joining Watsa and other smart people who bought the stock at $ 10.00 and they made their purchases before we had $ 3.1 B in cash and newly talked about handsets and cash-flow breakeven. What would Watsa pay for those bonds today, $ 12.00 or more equivalent? It is truly amazing that the stock is rallying right now, 2:19 PM with 43 MM shares so far and we are now going back up.
    For all we know someone has been buying up share in BB just for this purpose. Samsung might have a 9.9 percent ownership level . I just think there is way more value there then 7.5 billions and clearly the board and stake holders agree with me
    01-15-15 01:24 PM
    For all we know someone has been buying up share in BB just for this purpose. Samsung might have a 9.9 percent ownership level . I just think there is way more value there then 7.5 billions and clearly the board and stake holders agree with me
    I couldn't help notice that the buying of shares were on the bid side of the equation.

Posted via CB10
    Soumaila Somtore likes this.
    01-15-15 01:42 PM
    Just in case this hasn't been posted yet, this just showed up on the AT&T website:

https://www.wireless.att.com/busines...id=kRCx7AIBp-3

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 01:47 PM
    01-15-15 01:52 PM
    I think that there might have been a conversation between the two where Samsung asked Chen if a 40% - 50% premium on the stock would get Watsa to sell out and Chen said "no". That could have happened in an email between the two. I don't think they sat around a boardroom table, held hands and talked about paying such obscure amounts of money mentioned in the rumour. I think it was done in passing with % terms and that reporter did some basic math and ran with it.

Now the reason I think this is because CFOs not CEOs look at the metrics of a purchase based upon tax implications, valuation, book value carried on the books and the potential tax relief of buying BBRY against their string of losses. The CEO to CEO thing might happen to fish for some common ground. Samsung will listen to Chen but they will ultimately decide the offering price, not Chen.

Almost all deals are done with a company going into the market and acquiring shares up to the reporting limit. Those shares are cheap, after the news hits the market, those shares cost a ton more. Samsung could buy 10% of BBRY for peanuts and than offer more for the rest and still have a great total average purchase price. I don't think they would throw that op away.
    01-15-15 01:56 PM
    I don't like what Alex is wearing.

ok, thanks.
    01-15-15 01:58 PM
    Sort of an oddball observation as I was thinking about the news from yesterday:

Does anyone think that BBRY is in a position, despite it's large short float, to be a target for activists? We know the company is undervalued at the moment and when it comes to the whole undervalued narrative, activists always position themselves as the ones ready to "unlock value"...or does Prem have too much control?
    01-15-15 02:01 PM
    Sort of an oddball observation as I was thinking about the news from yesterday:

Does anyone think that BBRY is in a position, despite it's large short float, to be a target for activists? We know the company is undervalued at the moment and when it comes to the whole undervalued narrative, activists always position themselves as the ones ready to "unlock value"...or does Prem have too much control?
    Chen is our activist. He's the rare guy that takes the job because he wants it, not because of pay. That is the feeling I get though. Knowing that Prem is involved reinforces this idea in my head.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 02:05 PM
    OT: what's up with HALO today Morgan? Why the 5.5% drop? Did I miss something?

Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Classic or Passport???
    01-15-15 02:25 PM

Not to sound like a pumper or cheerleader, but if I was in that game and had the money, would definitely buy now that the price came down.

Why? Well even though we seen what is in the pipeline for 2015 and onward, and how quickly the stock jumped 30% on potentially big news is an indication that there is A LOT of value in the company and ready to explode. Companies know this.

The stock/value of the company is not going to contract that much I don't think. JC has stopped the bleeding, and now putting things in place to grow. Not looking, but putting (because they have the patents, the technology, the product (security), etc despite what some value that right now)....this is a luxury!!

Even though nothing officially has transpired it seems like "something" is there, whether great or not so great. Either way, it will be positive for BlackBerry.
    01-15-15 02:33 PM
    OT: what's up with HALO today Morgan? Why the 5.5% drop? Did I miss something?

The stock doubled since mid December and it is grossly over-bought on a TA basis with the RSI greater than 89 today! That's is a crazy high number and the stock has been over-bought for 8 days now. Dr. Torley has finished her tour having done an effective job of getting the message of HALO out there. Tomorrow we get the ASCO presentation from 12:00 PM until 2:00 PM but as you know, the longest living patient lived 395 days above the expected rate 200 day max rate, and the drug has long since moved onto its next phase so we can't expect anything new tomorrow, just more science. I'm so happy the stock is correcting, I sold some calls against it as it is back within my acceptable range of $ 14.00 - $ 16.00 for January/2015.

The interesting thing about Torley is her mention that they are going to talk to the FDA this Q, a week ago that was identified as the first half of 2015, so she must already have something lined up there. This stock is going to be going on a heck of a ride this year so let it get back to under RSI=70 and look for a chance to buy it there.
    bungaboy, Corbu, sidhuk and 7 others like this.
    01-15-15 02:45 PM
    Thanks Morgan! Good insightful analysis!

01-15-15 02:48 PM
113,256 ... 31353136313731383139 ...