View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I wouldn't be surprised to see this retrace back to the mid $9s or lower (I'd be a buyer). I think it's telegraphed since we saw it yesterday already...those shorts are shrewd, but when that squeeze comes they better look out!

Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Classic or Passport???
    01-15-15 10:25 AM
    IOT and NOC from BlackBerry to develop for Samsung home appliances and electronics.... just throwing it out there with all the other rumours. I always thought this would make sense as a partnership.

Knowing the threat of hacks now I think the S. Korean company would value security for its products.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 10:25 AM
    I believe we're on our way to test the $10s ... let's see what happens here !
    ZayDub likes this.
    01-15-15 10:26 AM
    i wanted to get this aticle posted earlier this week but didn't get a chance. you canbe sure they are not just looking at one alternative
    if you read the article and substitte BB for MS it has huge potetntial with reasonable probability

Samsung Ponders Move To Windows Phone - InformationWeek
    BACK-2-BLACK and georg4BB like this.
    01-15-15 10:26 AM
    I believe we're on our way to test the $10s ... let's see what happens here !
    I got out today. Even though I took a loss from the $11.09 price, its a wash w/ the good halo trade...I suspect bbry will go back down over the coming days (barring any news). I'll reposition myself since I got caught on the high side last time, plus save myself some $$ if the fall is back to the mid 9s

01-15-15 10:30 AM
    Some good thoughts from the Verge here.

Here's why Samsung should buy BlackBerry | The Verge
    laketrout73 likes this.
    01-15-15 10:31 AM
    I love everything BlackBerry and want to see them succeed, but im also a trader/investor and ultimately it's all about making $$ when you refer to the stocks..

CDM76 and anon(4086547) like this.
    01-15-15 10:32 AM
    Morgan, when you have some spare time (you must be pretty busy right now !) could you enlight us about one aspect that might be an interesting (TA ?) metric: historical V.S implicit volatility ? I've read a little abt it, but I prefer to stay quiet at this stage
    01-15-15 10:43 AM
    I love everything BlackBerry and want to see them succeed, but im also a trader/investor and ultimately it's all about making $$ when you refer to the stocks..

I understand where you are coming from, I have a trading account too and its just that, nothing is sacred in that account. I buy and sell HALO/BBRY in that account and if BBRY drops back to its 200-dma I will buy a block of it again. But today is such an important day for BBRY, the volume has slowed down big time, the stock is holding up well here, the DOW is down, gold up, oil weak, and BBRY is not far off the 50-dma and not in any trouble. You can watch 10,000 shares pop the stock by $ .10/shr now, something we never used to see. So we are holding extremely well here while trying to eat up 6.5 hours of boring trade. Shorts must be getting fed up with these moves in the stock, its time to find another play for those clowns.
    01-15-15 10:49 AM
    its time to find another play for those clowns.
    May God ear you !
    01-15-15 10:55 AM
    I understand where you are coming from, I have a trading account too and its just that, nothing is sacred in that account. I buy and sell HALO/BBRY in that account and if BBRY drops back to its 200-dma I will buy a block of it again. But today is such an important day for BBRY, the volume has slowed down big time, the stock is holding up well here, the DOW is down, gold up, oil weak, and BBRY is not far off the 50-dma and not in any trouble. You can watch 10,000 shares pop the stock by $ .10/shr now, something we never used to see. So we are holding extremely well here while trying to eat up 6.5 hours of boring trade. Shorts must be getting fed up with these moves in the stock, its time to find another play for those clowns.
    That's true, but those shorts are a brazen bunch! I believe the rumors of a buyout, and the quoted price "should" help establish what we all believe to be true -- BlackBerry is undervalued.

However, since the catalyst for this increase was the proposed buyout, which based on statements, will not come to fruition in the immediate future, I think shorts see this as just another shorting opportunity since it was already trending down before any news....ideally, I wish BBRY had not rebutted the comments so quickly!

OT: I think I need another broker too -- tradeking AH trading ends at 4p CT (one hour after closing)...I was sitting pretty at $12.80ish at that time and didn't sell, and seemingly right after it seemed the BBRY comment came out smh.

morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    01-15-15 10:59 AM
    The anti free market shorts doing what they do best. Sickening

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 11:12 AM
    notafanofyou, with all due respect and the greatest friendship, either what you describes is a fact or not, we currently have to deal with it and include it in our reflexion. Repeating it won't help much.

Now, let's all watch this $10 line. Not sure why but I like round numbers.
    Give me a pong (if you're aged under 30, you'll probably have no clue what I'm talking about) on this one.

Pong:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-pong.jpg
    01-15-15 11:18 AM
    There is no way that Reuters is making any of this up as they have been out with several updates since the original earlier today.
    If there were any concerns to the facts updates would not have been released, more so by the original authors.
    Exclusive: Samsung talks to BlackBerry about $7.5 billion buyout - source | Reuters
    Over to you Chen, your it
    Meanwhile BBRY closing in on $11 in after hours. Higher she goes, more so at the pre-market and open tomorrow as the shorts move in to cover and the world hears from our friend Chen.
    BlackBerry Limited (BBRY) After Hours Trading - NASDAQ.com $10.83 at 7:43 PM ... 17 more minutes to go.
    Stop SPAMMING!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-nasdaq-jan-15-1-2015.jpg
    01-15-15 11:23 AM
    I'm not sure how they handle the change in my bank ... Is that the liquidative value ?
    Thought my avg was in the $10.35 ... but seems I'm green 29%+ at current price (BB.TO though).

Attachment 327520
    01-15-15 11:25 AM
    Right you are. I do feel for Chen. He has worked so hard and to have this happen, someone(s) stealing his thunder. Oh well, the show will go on and Chen will bring humour to the situation as he does so well in a positive way. Very impressive to see BB up since the rally started at 3:45 PM ET today at $9.70 USA, currently at $10.82, imho, this speaks volumes that there is more upside tomorrow to take place, more so with massive short covering being the order of the day for many. BlackBerry Limited (BBRY) After Hours Trading - NASDAQ.com ... that's a wrap, last trade $10.78 = $12.88 CDN, well done, +11.13 % from when the rally kicked in at 3:45 AM.

Interesting, from Samsung, today, Samsung Denies Report on BlackBerry Takeover Offer - Bloomberg Jan 14, 2015 7:16 PM ET < liar, liar, pants on fire very suspect how this is "denied".
    SPAM! Stop SPAMMING this thread please.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-nasdaq-jan-15-1-2015.jpg
    01-15-15 11:26 AM
    BB ... usted! Something is in the works, higher BB share price goes. Enjoy!

�BlackBerry�s policy is not to comment on rumours or speculation, and accordingly it does not intend to comment further.�

?I?ll believe it when I see it': BlackBerry Ltd reportedly gets US$7.5B takeover offer from Samsung | Financial Post
    Sorry. You're wrong again!

01-15-15 11:28 AM
    Ach, not a good day to be short BB, trading pre-market now at $10.90 USA = $12.96 CDN 300k shares, massive short covering will be in play pre-market and at the open. Enjoy!

Bonus, indices and futures are now green Investing.com - Stock Market Quotes & Financial News

BlackBerry Limited (BBRY) Pre-Market Trading - NASDAQ.com

Attachment 327472
    Please stop SPAMMING this thread!

01-15-15 11:31 AM
    I believe the rumors of a buyout, and the quoted price "should" help establish what we all believe to be true -- BlackBerry is undervalued.
    Or is worth more as part of a larger tech company that it is going alone. For example, the patent portfolio is valuable but is currently being used to defend an unprofitable smartphone business. It would be of a lot more use to a company that sells a lot more phones and buys a lot more IP licenses.
    01-15-15 11:31 AM
    Somebody is noticeable absent after making Bovine Scatter comments all last evening.
    Soumaila Somtore and CDM76 like this.
    01-15-15 11:35 AM
    Morgan, when you have some spare time (you must be pretty busy right now !) could you enlight us about one aspect that might be an interesting (TA ?) metric: historical V.S implicit volatility ? I've read a little abt it, but I prefer to stay quiet at this stage
    Anything for you Superfly ............ founder of this thread!!!

We can do that right now! I'm watching the stock today as it is very telling what happens to a stock that has some profit for some, has some shorting action for others and huge volume to accomplish both. Here is a 14 month chart of BBRY:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-jan-15-2015.png

What you are looking at is an almost vertical image of the stock and its volume/price/trend changes over 14 months. We have managed to trade within these walls or channel lines for 14 months now. There is little surprise that we can do this as TA and PC driven algorithms help design the pattern for the stock apart from major news events. So when you look at an indicator like the RSI (Relative Strength Index) for any stock there is a direct correlation between the calculation of that indicator and the predictability of the price of the stock. When we go below RSI= or < 30 we see a huge rally in the volume spurt followed by a sustained rally in the price of that stock. The same thing is true of RSI= or > then 70. We see a volume increase followed by a movement in the stock with just that one indicator telling us what direction it is going. All of those vertical lines tell you that the correlation ratio is very close to 1:1 meaning that you can trade the stock with confidence. During that 14 month period we have heard a ton of new information about BB that makes us feel they are on the right path, hence the stock is trending upward as every single player, long or short feels the same way .... the channel slopes upward because of this.

The point you are interested in is the volatility of the stock or as we in the trade refer to it as, the "Beta" of the stock. The beta is the high/low range of the stock within its channel. For BBRY, this number is roughly $ 4.00/shr, a spread that the stock can achieve at times (40% - 50% of the price). Within that outside range of extreme beta is the TA of the stock where it trades within certain boundaries like the 50-dma, the 200-dma and the various EMA-levels too. And so when someone asks me about this stock, or any stock, they are really asking me to look at the support levels within a wide range of beta movement. BBRY has a huge percentage range of trade, bank stocks have a much narrower range, their beta is much lower, their volatility is much lower, their volume swings are much lower etc., making them a stock that major Funds need to have in their portfolios. Funds don't like to own high beta stocks because when it comes time to fill withdrawals from their funds, beta stocks could kill them. And so you want to trade high beta stocks, or buy them and wait until they become low beta stocks and sell call options against them.

BlackBerry is an example of a trading stock, some funds will bet on this play for a 5-year period as a part of a large portfolio and that is why we have a 2/3's institutional hold on the shares. The rest of the stock is a free for all trading stock! In conclusion, I like to find a low beta stock like HALO was, lower volume, great products, cash, no one watching it, and wait until it becomes a high beta stock. There are a large number of excellent TA indicators out there, we use only a very few of them on this thread. If you have some time, look at Bollinger Bands and EMA short term models to see what else you can use to verify the direction of a stock.

Yesterday we hit the top of my channel, if only for a minute, now we are drifting back to neutral here. Notice that when the stock hit $ 13.25/shr in AH last night, the stock price hit RSI=70 as well, an over-bought level at the top of a major channel. Hmmmn?

PS: I see BBRY is continuing to fall here, it is heading back to its pre-rally level so it is becoming clear that the news won't help BB's bottom line any time soon. No surprise there. If we can close higher than yesterday's breakeven level or above the 200-dma ($ 9.55/shr), we are still ahead of the game in this weak general market environment.
    01-15-15 11:42 AM
    no backseat moderation, please use the report button and explain gently.
    Should do the trick.

P.S: general reminder no one is targeted in particular (don't want to be smashed with a cowbell !!! )
    01-15-15 11:43 AM
    Hold the line ... hold the line ...
    01-15-15 11:46 AM
    Morgan !!!
    T
    hank you for this, will do some homework abt the Bollinger Band and EMA.
    Had to read it line by line twice as some notions are still smokey for me, but I guess I got it; you're a pedagogic jewel !

And, BTW, what this thread would be without you and some of our great knowledge contributors ? (hint: gone !)
    bungaboy, sidhuk, CDM76 and 7 others like this.
    01-15-15 11:55 AM
    Hold the line ... hold the line ...
    Another 100% lucky bet ?
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    01-15-15 11:57 AM
113,250 ... 31343135313631373138 ...